TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Strange Missing folder in clean NewDark only

Dˇttirin klŠ­ist oft mˇ­ur m÷ttli

Strange Missing folder in clean NewDark only

fortuni reported some issues in the FM A Water Arrow In the Fire
    Some blackjacked guards couldn't be frobbed (but not all of them). This happened in a clean installation with Bullet DromEd as fortuni told me.
    I checked this and loaded the savegame in DromEd. Everything was okay. I was using ND 1.25, with Tafferpatcher and also ND 1.26 with T2fix to check it.

Then I installed T2 again, this time I applied the NewDark.zip patch only.

Ups. Some guards couldn't be picked up this time and there's a big "missing" folder in DromEd, even metaproperties are missing. What happened? The FM doesn't have it's own gamesys.
    Why doesn't this happen on a install with TP and T2fix?

I was trying something and copied dark.gam into the FM folder. Guess what? It's working correctly now.

Zombified
    not going to check myself, but everything points at his install with manually applied ND being the 1.07/1.18 hybrid, and the FM probably only works with the 1.18 gamesys (both TP and T2Fix make sure it's installed). so yeah, no wonder he's having problems.

the moral of the story is that you should only be running a manual Dark install if you really, really know what you are doing. like, really really really.

What exactly do you mean by
    1.07/1.18 hybrid
    ?
    Dates of gamesys, etc. I need informations.
    And why is the gamesys working if I put it in the FM folder? Is this the hybrid factor?

I found out there's a
    bad gamesys for this mission date 7/18/2000
    good gamesys for this mission date 3/27/2000
    the older one is better
    Last edited by Unna Oertdottir; 26th Mar 2019 at 16:51.

Zombified
    basically, a couple of 3rdparty groups re-released the game some time after the original release, usually as a bundle with TG and T3 on a dvd. unfortunately, they've messed up and didn't patch the T2 build properly, omitting a couple of files (the gamesys, all osms, and some crf updates as well). and somehow, this version ended up being distributed via steam and GOG - the GOG build has been fixed up with the latest update, but steam remains broken (and using oldDark). I've posted a small package earlier that has NewDark and all the missing patch files included, and can be used to fix the hybrid up into a fully working condition (not really necessary as T2Fix does the same thing when everything is unchecked, but hey, maybe some people are still on dial-up).

so anyone using a manually updated steam version (or GOG version until quite recently) is playing a broken, incomplete version of the game, and been doing so for years. it's even possible that we now have some FMs that will not work properly with a fully patched install because they have been made on the hybrid. one could end up with psychosis trying to sort this out.

//yeah, the dates are messed up, the "older" file is actually the proper 1.18 version.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 25th Mar 2019 at 11:51.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    so anyone using a manually updated steam version (or GOG version until quite recently) is playing a broken, incomplete version of the game, and been doing so for years.
    I downloaded a clean copy of T2 from GOG on 26/02/19 and initially had patched it with the manual ND1.26 but a few days later Unna told me about Bullet Dromed which I then installed overwriting the manually patched 1.26, it was with this install that I had problems with frobbing the KO'd bodies.

I played this mission last year with an older d/l from GOG that was patched with tafferpatch and ND1.25 but has no problem then.

Today I used the same installer from GOG (26/02/19) to give me a fresh T2 install and patched that with Jax64's T2Fix and had no problems with frobbing KO'd bodies.

Could repatching Bullet Dromed over a manually installed ND 1.26 have caused this issue?

It's not a big deal if it only happens with this mission but has this oddity been reported with other missions?
    Last edited by fortuni; 25th Mar 2019 at 10:46.

My T2 version is sitting on HDD for 18 years now. I copy it whenever I need it. I has a "new" gamesys.
    TP and T2fix are installing the "old" gamesys which is the correct one - for this mission. But why? I played hundreds of FMs with this gamesys. This looks like a special incident.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Could repatching Bullet Dromed over a manually installed ND 1.26 have caused this issue?
    There's no gamesys in Bullet DromEd. You could copy the working installation (rename it) and apply Bullet DromEd again. Test the guards in the mission.

Zombified
    I really have no time to be diving into this, but feel free to find out what exact combination has caused the problem. so I'll just point out the obvious - you shouldn't be running a hybrid install, it's just not a good idea no matter how you look at it. at the moment, if you have installed T2 via GOG Galaxy, or patched it up with TP or T2Fix, all the 1.18 files are installed properly, and you should be good to go. if you haven't, you probably are running the hybrid, unless you installed the game from the first release cds and used the original 1.07 -> 1.18 patch yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    There's no gamesys in Bullet DromEd. You could copy the working installation (rename it) and apply Bullet DromEd again. Test the guards in the mission.
    Nope, guards still unfrobbable when reinstalling Bullet DromEd with gamesys included in install.

But patch with T2Fix and problem goes away, so that's our solution.
    Last edited by fortuni; 25th Mar 2019 at 11:50.

It's working in my install. What's the date of dark.gam?

I think, we should upload and compare the gamesys

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ecrvix...kGams.zip/file

They are renamed "good" "bad", "ugly"

It's working in my install. What's the date of dark.gam?
    31/05/2018 but I have just re-installed with Bullet DromEd, would that have installed a new dark.gam?

I think, we should upload and compare the gamesys
    Haha.....This is where I may have made an error. You asked me to copy my gamesys from my new install into my old install, but the only gamesys I had in my new install was gamesys.dml, which is what I copied into my old install. But you have uploaded to mediafire a DarkGams.zip. This has confused me a little, which file from my new install should I copy and test the guards with, DarkGams.zip, or gamesys folder that I do not appear to have in either install.

There are 2 versions of dark.gam (the original gamesys) in the zip. They are renamed (good means it's working for me). The good one comes with TP/T2fix
    The bad one is from my old install, it's newer than the good one.
    Rename the 2 gamesys to dark.gam and test it please.
    Then upload your own gamesys (dark.gam) whithout patching it with TP/T2fix first. I want them all to compare it.

It's the Bad dark.gam that's the problem, but I can't upload my original dark.gam as I patched it with T2Fix only half an hour ago, but I think we can be reliably certain that I had a bad dark.gam.

Yes. So you have dark.gam good in your install. Please copy the install folder and apply Bullet DromEd for testing. With the good gam, of course (rename it to dark.gam)
    I want to be sure that the gamesys is the culprit.

Confirmed. Repatched with Bullet Dromed, used good dark.gam and all is good.

Are you going to include a good dark.gam in Bullet from now on? It won't solve the problem for everyone but it may help a little.

Zombified
    not a good idea, as the T2Fix overhauled gam will get overwritten, causing all sorts of problems.

avoid the trap of trying to cater to people who use broken resources with whatever package you are putting together. "fix your broken stuff first, then my stuff will work properly" should be the answer, always.

Good to know. Yes I'll include the good gamesys in Bullet Dromed to be sure. Right now.
    I loaded some stripped OMs in DromEd with the bad gamesys and the biggest folder DromEd was the "missing" one again. Never realized this. The guards in Water Arrow In the Fire have some unusual metaproperties, that's why the bad gamesys has so much impact.

@voodoo: Nobody us using Bullet Dromed instead of T2fix. This is not a replacement for T2fix or TP, as I already wrote.

Zombified
    yeah, but if you drop the package into a T2Fixed install, you'll overwrite the gamesys (unless I'm missing something completely).

Bullet DromEd didn't have a gamesys included (as mentioned) . But now it has the same gamesys as T2fix.

Zombified
    still not a good idea - you will have to keep it up to date each time the T2Fix gamesys gets updated. you are basically setting things up to cause more problems in the future just to maybe fix some problems for users with broken installs now - but not all, as those who have the outdated gamesys will also have outdated scripts and missing crf content. so you've already lost this battle before it even began - trust me, leave the patching up part to T2Fix.

What? The T2fix gamesys is still the same gamesys which was published 19 years ago. Maybe you mean the gamesys.dml?

Zombified
    nope, T2Fix gamesys (dark.gam) is overhauled/modified for most installs (unless you deselect everything manually). as I was saying, I would much recommend not messing around with this.