TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: stop links from being inherited?

stop links from being inherited?

Hey doods. Is there a way to stop links from being inherited?
    I love all that my current object inherits and it will suck to copy/paste all that I want in a second instance, or moving it somewhere else.
    The link in question is a corpse, so I may just overwrite it by making a new corpse to an invisible object - but it's lame.
    This would also help in other ways, when I don't want so many finders (fire arrows are slaying things I'm not seeing yet and making double the amount of flinders).

I searched but I couldn't find anything, thanks for the help as always!

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    The only way is removing the links from the archetype (or the higher instances of the archetype) and create an new entry with corpse links.
    Or remove the links and set it on the concrete object. But that's too much work.

Zombified
    I'm pretty sure this is doable, something like if the concrete has a link, the archetype links of the same flavor will not be inherited. this mod is using it, unless my memory is failing me completely.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    He's already doing this - but it's lame.

Zombified
    I actually am still not sure what he's currently doing, even though I've read the post about three times. but anyway, if the archetype is flinderizing into five pieces, and you want to add one more flinder to the concrete, all the flinderize links from the archetype will have to be replicated to get all six flinders on the concrete (because the extra flinderize link on the concrete will stop inheritance), afaik.

definitely not the most annoying thing that exists in Dromed.

Sorry if my words are odd.

I hoped that I conveyed the understanding that, I am aware you can cancel inheriting links, of a type, by creating the same link type again under the new object/child. This is how I would stop the inheriting the corpse link, that I don't want, by make a new corpse link to a invisible object. I thought maybe LGS thought of a link type, or prop, to cancel all links. I am trying to save on object count - an issue that is going to get me later.

My second part is still more the same, this type the type is flinderize, in where I don't want the child to inherit all the insane glass shards flinders.

I will just make a new branch in my preferred hierarchy and use the copy/paste buttons to nick everything I liked about the other object hierarchy branch.

PS. Happy to see TTLG back and running.

Zombified
    why not link to an archetype instead?

Oh like one that's a nothing archetype so who cares that it is created by a corpse link? Just gotta make sure I avoid one that has the white wedge but yeah that could work!

I would just corpse link to a marker. That way no extra objects are added to the game and the marker can't be seen by the player.
    Last edited by john9818a; 30th Mar 2019 at 02:36. Reason: Removed buggy part of post

I would just corpse link to a marker. That way no extra objects are added to the game and the marker can't be seen by the player.

Yeah I think that's what Voodoo was getting at but yeah duh marker, didn't even think of that. Another idea, is I wonder if I couldn't do some relay magic to reattach the now created corpse as a detailattachment so that it does rotate with the door. I just don't know anything about relay stuff. I am going to do some reading this weekend. Not sure if you can create links like that though.

You can use NV's link builder scripts.

Btw I posted a day or two ago but even though I could see my post it still showed you as being the last to post. I deleted it and the reposted it today, but the server problems caused some anomalies including the double post.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    You can use NV's link builder scripts.

Btw I posted a day or two ago but even though I could see my post it still showed you as being the last to post. I deleted it and the reposted it today, but the server problems caused some anomalies including the double post.
    Thanks John, this was the start in the right, when all started to work. THanks again!

You're welcome Gamophyte. I'm glad you got it working.