TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: i see a issue and would like to see what you all think

Now it's working, Out for a Walk is good. Duplicate folders were the problem.

What's NVscript? Now things are working where do I check for that? In the dbmod.log?

Ps. Can you answer these Qs

1. I assume all I need to do is check that the dml is loaded into the FMsel folder and that I do not have to play each mission all the way through to the end?

2. I have tested all of these dml's before and have loads of FMselBak.zips in my FM folders but so far I haven't found any that contain dmls (the folders only show saves and screenshots) so when you uninstall a dml fixed mission from FMsel where is the dml stored? If I delete the relevant
    FMselBak.zips from my FM folder would that guarantee that I won't be loading the previously used dml which would then give me a false positive when testing your package?

The dml by Unna for the Golden Book is a fix that works for both the stand alone mission and the Golden Book campaign, so do you add another miss file for the campaign, it's the same miss20.

Zombified
    it's a script that is required for some of the fixup dmls to work. basically, you need a Thief install patched with TFix full to test the current FMdml package properly.

1) playing the fm from start to end would be ideal, as the log will only tell you whether the dml got loaded, and not that it actually works (SOD would be a good example - the log will look fine, but stuff will not work as intended if the main gamesys dml is not loading NVscript prior to that).
    2) I still don't quite get what you are trying to say. all I can say is that the FMdml package is standalone, will activate automatically, and should work no matter what shenanigans are being pulled in you FMs folder.

the FMdml dml doesn't care whether a mission is a part of something or is standalone, as long as the fingerprint is a match, it will load. so the current fix should work for both versions of Golden Book.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 31st Mar 2019 at 09:20.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    2) I still don't quite get what you are trying to say. all I can say is that the FMdml package is standalone, will activate automatically, and should work no matter what shenanigans are being pulled in you FMs folder.
    I'm talking about old saves from previous playthroughs when I tested manually installed dml's. After playing a mission I uninstall it from FMsel and the save and screenshots are saved in the FM folder in their individual FMselBak. When I have previously needed to replay a mission FMsel loads the FMselBak saves and screenshots and it also loads the previously installed dml, so I never have to re-install a manual dml. I assume that somewhere in the FMselBak folder the manual dml is also stored. It's no problem, I'll just delete all the relevant FMselBak folders for the missions that we want to test with your package.

Ps. My TG game is patched with the latest 1.26 TFix

Zombified
    then everything should be fine - but using old saves will not work properly as always.

Just re-installed TFix 1.26 and still no NVScript in my TG folder, don't know why but I have a NVScript in an old TG install so will copy that over.

Zombified
    don't. the latest NVScript is in the OSM folder.

NVScript seems to be loading correctly in re-installed TFix

So far have checked the following missions and the dml has worked correctly with them all.

But I have fully tested all the dml's before when writing the T1/TG walks so I know they work, so I'm not going to play every mission to the end but just will prove to myself that the dml has loaded correctly with your package and it works for the necessary fix.

Tested and good
    Escape the Bear Pits
    The Gem
    The Golden Book
    The Golden Book campaign
    Out for a Walk
    Fall of a Chook
    The Item
    Shadow of Doubt campaign

Notes:
    Fall of a Chook is probably best left out of this package as to get the final sewers objective working players also need to change their intrface folder as the author made a typo in Fiction#11 see here

Lets remove Garrett's Revenge out of this package. I've tested the 3 old versions that do not contain the word Gold in the zip (630Garrettsrevenge, GarrettsRevenge, grevenge) and only the grevenge.zip that now appears to have a problem when you read the Keepers book not triggering the new objective Find information on who, grassed, set up, framed, Cutty. If there are 4 zips out there that are good it's not a good idea to be placing oldconvict.osm in those missions. Don't know why there's a difference from 4 years ago apart from I would have been testing on a very much older Newdark 1.21a maybe?

Trial by Night does not crash when you enter the attic, guessing that was a bug unique to 1.21a, so probably does need to be in the rep any more.

The Item has a missing gem ring (obj 150) that's embedded into a floor. Can you amend the dml to raises it up a few inches so it sits on the floor. Thanks
    Last edited by fortuni; 1st Apr 2019 at 16:46.

Zombified
    go for SOD if you want to test a more complex dml (that requires NVscript). it adds dousable hanging lamps and candles, among other things (and guards in the second mission dropping their lanterns properly, for example). and as mentioned, the makeshift lockpick should now be a nail, and identify as such in the inventory (custom resource load test). basically the SOD fix currently is the most complex, so if that one works without a hitch, then the rest should do as well.

Voodoo how can I check if my NVScript is loading correctly?

I ask as when I reinstalled TFix, when I quicksaved the on-screen notification saying 'Save Successful' was small block letters, but on the last couple missions I've played the letter are larger and more rounded. Is this an indication that any of my scripts are not loading correctly?

Zombified
    thief.log should say Loaded script module "nvscript.osm" somewhere.

and I doubt any kind of script could affect fonts in any way.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 31st Mar 2019 at 14:19.

Thanks, thief.log confirms that in many locations.

Started on Shadow of Doubt, may take a couple of days to finish it in it's entirety but so far your package looks good.

Hope your keeping an eye on post #34 where i'm making notes for your attention as I go through all these missions.

With all respect to all fm authors

If You create something like fm and it is no longer working or working not properly. Would you be mad at anyone who is making Your fm playable again.
    I dont think so.
    So please for a good of mankind F U C K Patents copyrights and other such things which are IMHO just hold on for a progress of human kind.

It is like mastering old audio or video tape.

O my god you made my music or movie enjoyable again..... Thank Y.... but actually no I will sue Your ass for making that. It is ridiculous.

Zombified
    yeah - uploaded the latest version as folder, so anyone can edit it or learn how things work. anyway;

- added the ring fix in the Item.
    - removed Garrett's Revenge dml.
    - added Trial by Night dmls (they are only making the candles interactive, but showcase what can be done if a gamesys dml is required, but the gamesys name isn't unique).
    - keeping Fall of a Chook, a partial fix is better than nothing.

ok, so basically there are a couple of scenarios that can happen:
    => a FM requires a mission dml. create the dml, fingerprint it, name the file properly, put it into the \dbmods\miss_all folder.

=> a FM requires a gamesys dml as well.
    - if the FM gamesys has a custom name (custom.gam) create a properly named gamesys dml (custom.gam.dml) and place it into the FMdml folder.
    - if the FM gamesys doesn't have a custom name, find unique archetypes, create a gamesys dml, fingerprint it, rename it to fmname.gam.dml (fmname = name of the fm), and place it to the dbmods folder (see trial.gam.dml)
    - if the FM gamesys doesn't have a custom name, and cannot be fingerprinted, you are out of luck.

=> a FM also requires a resource fix. depends on the needed fix - if it can be added as a custom resource (say, an object with a custom unique name, coupled with a mission dml that will modify a concrete to use the custom object), then it should be doable (see sod_miss30.mis.dml obj 873, and nail.bin in the obj folder). if not, you are out luck.

this should allow easy creation of a similar package for T2, for example. I'm not going touch the TG package for a while, so anyone is welcome to test it as much as possible, and report everything interesting.

also yeah, that's what I did in the small world of SS2 FMs - I've just grabbed everything, and manually fixed it to death. sue me for making (a tiny bit of) the world a better place (I'm a weird ghoul living in a basement, eating cheap pizza to survive, so good luck finding something anyone could do to me that life hasn't already).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 31st Mar 2019 at 17:58.

Quote Originally Posted by trudnicki View Post
    If You create something like fm and it is no longer working or working not properly. Would you be mad at anyone who is making Your fm playable again. I dont think so.
    Some authors are more than happy, I have received messages from long forgotten authors who were more than happy to know their missions now run smoothly, but others are very protective about their artwork. Most recently we were very firmly told by Anarchic Fox not to try to bug fix Mission X, a request we of course honoured, so unless you manage to contact the original author, which in a lot of cases is impossible, and get his/her express permission we must steer clear of potential trouble, an opinion that the mods take as well.

Garrett's Revenge dml is in that folder you have posted on GDrive, thought you were going to remove it.

Zombified
    gar_miss15.mis.dml is not present as far as I can tell.

//edited the readme accordingly. also, updated trial.gam.dml real quick.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 31st Mar 2019 at 17:03.

My bad, I was looking at the included notes where it still is mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    this should allow easy creation of a similar package for T2, for example. I'm not going touch the TG package for a while, so anyone is welcome to test it as much as possible, and report everything interesting.
    I am currently in the process of compiling a similar T2 package, already having compiled a collection of the known fixes cited in this thread and several only present in my own private repository. All that remains is to fingerprint each one properly; however, I could share it as-is if that duty would be better assumed by someone else.

There are some that are somewhat problematic. I am aware of several fam resource fixes that would be difficult to implement in this way. Additionally, the fix for "Working the Mines" had to be changed slightly to accomodate for automatic script loading.

EDIT: Here is a link to the first T2 package, which accounts for all the fixes noted here with a few exceptions. The gamesys fixes for Dead Flower and Keeper's Betrayal are not included because both of these have no packaged gamesys.
    Last edited by Jax64; 1st Apr 2019 at 01:55. Reason: EDIT

Zombified
    in some cases, using NVscript to fix the wonky bit could be preferable to loading old scripts in some neck breaking way. I did fix a broken objective this way in one T1 mission, if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    EDIT: Here is a link to the first T2 package, which accounts for all the fixes noted here with a few exceptions. The gamesys fixes for Dead Flower and Keeper's Betrayal are not included because both of these have no packaged gamesys.
    This is brilliant, an suggestion from downwinder only a couple of days ago has turned into a full blown solution to a workable fix for the majority of broken missions. Thanks Jaxs64 and Voodoo, this is a huge step forward for everyone.

@ Jaxs
    Is this folder for testing purposes only or are you pretty sure this is a permanent T2 package fix?

If so how should we proceed as I carry on finding bugs and reporting them to Unna for potential bugs?

I suggest we open a new thread 'Thief Fan Missions Fixes' in which we place the T1 & T2 packages in the OP. Then when any new dml is produced it can be placed in that thread (as well as the individual mission thread) so you can place it in the dbmod folder once it has been fingerprinted.

I could also then post in that thread all the missions that I know of that need a fix but which no dml has yet been found with details of the issues, as well as any mission that manually needs a dml installed.
    Last edited by fortuni; 1st Apr 2019 at 06:28.

Zombified
    well, as mentioned, I had the proto collecting dust on my drive for a couple of months, and this made me remember that it was almost working - I've spent only about a hour getting the first package out.

the moral of the story is - even annoying banana people can be useful for something every once in a while.

also, it should be possible to dml kill that broken objective in Fall of a Chook - while not an ideal solution, it would be a compatible solution nevertheless.

//some more T2 fixes in my repo not mentioned in the pdf: StrifeC_V1c, Ranstall Keep, Circle of Strain. the T2 package could use a readme, shortly describing what missions have been fixed. mentioning all the incompatible mission fixes could be useful as well (maybe a refix would be possible).
    Last edited by voodoo47; 1st Apr 2019 at 16:40.

Would it not be more sensible to keep T1/TG fixes completely separate from T2 fixes? After all any T2 dml is rather useless redundant sitting in a folder that only works with a TG install.

I left the Circle of Strain fix out of the list as it only fixes a few textures and minor aesthetic issues and seeing Anti_matter produced a Newdark Circle of Strain campaign that fixed everything in that dml anyway.

Zombified
    yeah, they should be separate. no idea what version of Circle of Strain is in the repo, the T1 probably. ignore it then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast