TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: i see a issue and would like to see what you all think

Yep it was CoS 1

Ok so let me express my sadness for Anarchic Fox attitude. Some ppl are just like that. Its broken and i meant it to be broken. In his position i would say Yeah Thanks that is GREAT. I can understand someone to be worried about ruining playing experience, so if it was me i would like to play through fixed version to assure myself that everything is the way i meant it to be. But that is me. Some dinosaurs just die because of ignorance. I am software engineer so i have to deal with those kind of ppl thanks builder not every day. It is better for fm to be playable rather than not. And if its bugged again it tells me a lot about the person behind it. I saw a lot of promising software or games being abandoned by devs, despite patch request from users who were really enjoy using these soft or games. I personally have fixed some software made by others. BECAUSE I CAN. I am still using it, but only me and i dont share it with others. 2 days of work it took me to fix it, but those guys, because of bug wasted more than a year on development just to abandon it. I dont understand that kind of approach.

Thank You all for taking that kind of effort. Fixing all fms that is something huge. I really support You with all my heart and i envy Your enthusiasm in doing that.
    I have only one advice if I may share one. Make it all user friendly i mean fully automatic so loader does all the work without user interference. From my experience when You got user involve prepare support desk for hell braking.

Question: i can understand fingerprinting files so they can detect automatic which file use by opening certain fm file. What if i change fm archive name will it still work ? Or fingerprinted file will be included inside fm zip file ? Will it require re download of those fixed fms ??

Fingerprints with Voodoo's dml's is based on questvar no's (goal target object no's) so changing the file name should be fine. Not sure how Jax64 will do all of his fingerprints, but there will be a lot more T2 dml's than for T1/TG so he'll need to be careful not to use the same quest var no. for 2 different FM's.

Yes it's fully automatic, there's no interface, just extract the package into your TG root folder (check to see if there is a FMdml folder inside the first one, if so you'll need to move the contents of the second FMdml folder into a temporary folder, delete the now empty first FMdml and place the contents of the temporary folder into your Thief root folder. This issue happens with 7z files, once all is up and running it maybe it would be best if the package is also posted in a zip).

Add 'FMdml' to your mod path in cam_mod.ini and your good to go, the package will automatically run the relevant dml that is currently in your FMdml folder.

And yes you'll need to update your FMdml folder occasionally, but just d/l individual miss files and popping them into your miss_all folder will work just as well.

Finally not all missions can be fixed via this system so there will still be a need to manually install some fixes yourself, so far about 4/5 TG missions and the same for T2 missions which is less than 10% of the total number of dml fixed missions available (approx 120).

Zombified
    you have to install the pack manually right now, but once it's integrated either into the patchers or the fm loaders (I'm still unsure what would be better), the process will be fully automatic, the end user won't know we were even there.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Is this folder for testing purposes only or are you pretty sure this is a permanent T2 package fix?

If so how should we proceed as I carry on finding bugs and reporting them to Unna for potential bugs?

I suggest we open a new thread 'Thief Fan Missions Fixes' in which we place the T1 & T2 packages in the OP. Then when any new dml is produced it can be placed in that thread (as well as the individual mission thread) so you can place it in the dbmod folder once it has been fingerprinted.

I could also then post in that thread all the missions that I know of that need a fix but which no dml has yet been found with details of the issues, as well as any mission that manually needs a dml installed.
    I intend for this package to at some point be a permenant solution, though its current state isn't quite ready for that, with it lacking any testing. I see no reason for you to cease reporting bugs in order for fixes to be made, since it has proven to be very efficient. Once the packages are closer to a finished state, I think it would be advantagous to open a thread dedicated to these fixes.

The fingerprinting method used is the same as the one employed in the T1 archive, using the first unique goal_target variable. No fingerprints should currently overlap, though attention is required to ensure this does not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    //some more T2 fixes in my repo not mentioned in the pdf: StrifeC_V1c, Ranstall Keep, Circle of Strain. the T2 package could use a readme, shortly describing what missions have been fixed. mentioning all the incompatible mission fixes could be useful as well (maybe a refix would be possible).
    I believe those mission fixes are already included (aside from Circle of Strain), since I checked both repositories. I will update the folder very soon with a proper readme, along with several other alterations.

Ranstall Keep is a T1 dml. It fixes a scrunched up ankle biting zombie in the cells area. The zombie is good in the T2 version.

Ps. Sorry forgot to include that one in my original pdf.

And I have no intention to cease bug reporting.

Edit: Finished Shadow of Doubt campaign (apart from Tuttocomb's tomb) and all bugs I reported previously did not show, so dml loader proved good yet again.
    Last edited by fortuni; 1st Apr 2019 at 15:56.

Zombified
    ok, that only leaves StrifeC_V1c as a T2 fix in my repo, and I can see that one already is in the current T2 package, so I can pretty much retire the repo completely now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    using the first unique goal_target variable. No fingerprints should currently overlap, though attention is required to ensure this does not happen
    I think I'll note the value down for each fm in the T1/TG readme, so it would be easy to see whether all the values really are unique - I'd suggest you do the same (the chances are very low, buy you know, reality can be a b!tch sometimes).

also, when testing a fm, it would be prudent to always check dbmod.log, and confirm that only one dml is permitted by the fingerprint system each time. this will get less tedious in the future, as additional dmls will only be added by a low volume.

//updated the Fall of a Chook dml (foc_miss19.mis.dml), the broken objective will autocomplete on the hardest difficulty, and therefore pose no problem anymore. link is the same.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 1st Apr 2019 at 18:02.

All right, the next version of the T2 archive is now available, and this repository will be updated as needed. A readme is now included, detailing the fixed missions and the fingerprint QVAR required for each one. Several gamesys DMLs were fingerprinted as well.

There are a few items that still need to be addressed, however. Most notably, I do not think it will be possible to include gamesys DMLs for missions with no included gamesys, of which there are two known for Thief 2.
    Last edited by Jax64; 1st Apr 2019 at 20:39.

Zombified
    yeah, a gamesysless fm that needs a gamesys fix is not compatible, unless a different fix can be devised that would not require a gamesys dml. what are the missions in question? //aha, they're in the readme.

also, can someone test whether Fall of a Chook is completable on the hardest difficulty? it's refixed again.

//yeah, Keeper's Betrayal fixable, here's the mission dml that is now enough to fix everything (keb_miss20.mis.dml).
    Code:
    DML1

//Fix for Keepers Betrayal//fix for goal#10//light based transparency//miss20.mis.dml

FINGERPRINT
    {
       QVAR "goal_target_0" == 475
    }

+ObjProp 1689 "Scripts"
    {
        "Script 1" TrigQVar
    }
    +ObjProp 1689 "TrapQVar"
    {
        "" =1:goal_state_10
    }
    +ObjProp 527 "Scripts"
    {
        "Script 0" Trapsetqvar
    }
    +ObjProp 527 "TrapQVar"
    {
        "" =1:goal_irreversible_6
    }
    +ObjProp 1688 "Scripts"
    {
        "Script 1" TrigRoomdeposit
    }
    +ObjProp 1623 "Scripts"
    {
        "Script 1" TrigRoomPlayer
    }
    +Link 1623 1687 "ControlDevice"
    {
    }
    +Link 1623 527 "ControlDevice"
    {
    }
    +Link 1623 1475 "ControlDevice"
    {
    }
    +ObjProp 1475 "Scripts"
    {
        "Script 1" TrapsetQVar
    }
    +ObjProp 1475 "TrapQVar"
    {
        "" =0:goal_state_10
    }
    +Link 1496 1475 "ControlDevice"
    {
    }
    +ObjProp 81 "LBAlpha"            
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.1
        "Max alpha" 1.00
        "Light level (0-100) for min" 10
        "Light level (0-100) for max" 50
    }
    -ObjProp 81 "RenderAlpha" 
    -ObjProp 163 "RenderAlpha" 
    -ObjProp 337 "RenderAlpha" 
    -ObjProp 338 "RenderAlpha" 
    -ObjProp 581 "RenderAlpha" 
    -ObjProp 713 "RenderAlpha" 
    -ObjProp 1355 "RenderAlpha" 
    -ObjProp 1357 "RenderAlpha"
    // more fixes to transparency
    +ObjProp 163 "LBAlpha"            
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.1
        "Max alpha" 1.00
    }
    +ObjProp 713 "LBAlpha"            
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.1
        "Max alpha" 1.00
    }
    +ObjProp 1357 "LBAlpha"            
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.1
        "Max alpha" 1.00
    }
    +ObjProp 337 "LBAlpha"            
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.1
        "Max alpha" 1.00
    }
    +ObjProp 581 "LBAlpha"            
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.1
        "Max alpha" 1.00
    }
    +ObjProp 338 "LBAlpha"            
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.1
        "Max alpha" 1.00
    }
    +ObjProp 1355 "LBAlpha"            
    {
        "Active" true
        "Min alpha" 0.1
        "Max alpha" 1.00
    }
    pretty sure doing the same thing (making the fix mission dml based) can be done with the second fm (Dead Flower), as long as it can be determined which of the posted fixes is better.

despite having to use more code, using mission dml fixes instead of gamesys dml fixes as much as possible is good practice - as mentioned earlier, doing a local fix via the gamesys dml may be convenient, but can pose a problem in certain situations.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 2nd Apr 2019 at 05:17.

also, can someone test whether Fall of a Chook is completable on the hardest difficulty? it's refixed again.
    Is that a fix for the 2 objectives to work on expert without the need to install the amended intrface folder? If so will test asap but am really busy for the next couple of days so may not be till weekend

Keeper's Betrayal fixable, here's the mission dml that is now enough to fix everything (keb_miss20.mis.dml).
    T2 mission: Unna's dml had already fixed this mission as far as I knew (When playing via olddark the Keepers were invisible when walking in shadows, but Newdark removes this transparency. There is also an objective found in the intrface folder that never worked). What else have you fixed?

Ps. Check your PM.

@ Jax Bit busy at work over next few days but will start test T2 missions end of week/weekend. I'm not going to test all 82+ but do you fancy putting a list together of maybe 12-15 to test which if they are all good would satisfy your beta testing requirements.

Zombified
    I've removed the bugged Chook objective out of the equation. not ideal, but better than nothing.

Betrayal had the gamesys fixes moved into the mission dml (and one obj id corrected ,-ObjProp 1353 "RenderAlpha" should have been -ObjProp 1355 "RenderAlpha". that's why it's so important to check the dbmod log, this would have been visible as a WARNING) to be compatible with the fix package.

I've removed the bugged Chook objective out of the equation. not ideal, but better than nothing.
    This mission had 2 main problems

The objective to Steal Farkus's body didn't not work when you picked him up, but by removing that objective you still have a problem with the 2nd failing objective Escape through the sewers which does not work because the author made a typo in the intrface folder (he typed Fiction #12 rather than the intended Fiction #11, so you still need to install Unna amended intrface folder (unless you know how to amend a read only file) get get the mission to work fully. So although a bit of a pian having to manually install a second folder Unna's dml looks to me the better solution, but still yes will test your solution, again before the weekend.

Edit: Got it, you deleted the escape to the sewers objective, To steal Farkus' body....cheeky man

Betrayal had the gamesys fixes moved into the mission dml (and one obj id corrected ,-ObjProp 1353 "RenderAlpha" should have been -ObjProp 1355 "RenderAlpha". that's why it's so important to check the dbmod log, this would have been visible as a WARNING) to be compatible with the fix package.
    Haha... sussed out the answer myself just as you posted, and yet another TBT mission.
    Last edited by fortuni; 2nd Apr 2019 at 16:05.

@Voodoo
    Ranstall Keep not yet in your miss_all folder

The Item loot fix for obj 150. Updated dml not in your miss_all folder

Zombified
    latest ite_miss20.mis.dml uploaded.

Ranstall Keep - seems like there is some mesh model fixing going on (I'm guessing all the included mesh models will have to be given unique names, and all concretes dml switched to use those to be compatible with the fix pack), and I have no time to dig around it. also, isn't that a T2 mission?

//yeah, that's the mission that uses vanilla names for custom assets (bad, bad author! no cookie for you), this is bound to cause problems as soon as you start to involve mods. all the mesh files that are being changed by the extra textures in mesh\txt16 need to be found, renamed (ex. ThiefM01.bin and ThiefM01.cal to HisSword.bin and HisSword.cal), placed into the fix pack, and a dml needs to be created to switch the concretes to use the properly named models (either a mission, or a gamesys dml).

not going to touch that, no time until May is over. //a very quick note - if you want a fix for the crushed zombie (which is still present in both versions of the fm), then this should do it for the T2 version (ran_miss18.mis.dml):

Code:
    DML1

//Ranstall Keep: fix the crushed zombie

FINGERPRINT
    {
       QVAR "goal_target_0" == 639
    }

// emit zombie using the zombie
    -ObjProp 855 "PhysType"
    ObjProp 855 "Position"
    {
        "Location" 20, -93, 30
    }
    +ObjProp 855 "CfgTweqEmit"
    {
    	"Halt" Destroy Obj
    	"AnimC" Sim
    	"Max frames" 1
    	"Emit what" Zombie
    }
    +ObjProp 855 "StTweqEmit"
    {
    	"AnimS" On
    }
    // the portcullises need to be locked
    +ObjProp 770 "Locked" = "TRUE"
    +ObjProp 777 "Locked" = "TRUE"
    +ObjProp 771 "Locked" = "TRUE"
    +ObjProp 775 "Locked" = "TRUE"
    +ObjProp 776 "Locked" = "TRUE"
    also, some T2 dmls have broken headers, search for a SYNTAX ERROR in any dbmod.log generated with the latest set, and make sure they all look like this:

Code:
    DML1

//whatever whatever
    Last edited by voodoo47; 3rd Apr 2019 at 06:54.

Zombified
    alright people, after receiving a pm with some slightly annoying content (which I'm not going to post publicly), I would like to make something clear - I get it, not everyone likes what I do, and how I do it. so here's a brilliant idea - if you think I'm doing something wrong (and yes, that happens), how about actually posting, explaining what's wrong, and offering a better alternative? especially in a dev topic such as this one, where we are pretty much just poking into things trying to figure out what to do.

I assure you that you don't have the ability to hurt my feelings in any way, so feel free to throw anything my way (not throwing meatballs around would be appreciated though, I'm pretty sure we are fully capable of expressing ourselves in a polite manner. or are we).

also, kicking the Chook dml out of the repo, fortuni has explained it's not up to scratch, so I'm just marking the fm incompatible and that's it. see how easy it is?

I have assessed each T2 DML so that the format is unified and there are no longer any bad headers. The T2 Ranstall Keep fix is now in as well.

We also now have eight more T2 DMLs available which I previously had lying about my FM repository, all of which are noted near the bottom of the readme. The only known fix to be incompatible at this point is the one for Dead Flower, which I will look into soon.

Zombified
    about The Library – The Town:
    Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Also note the the dml to cause the dockyard key to check off appeared to worked with previous Newdark versions, but with Newdark 1.26 it does not load correctly, meaning with Newdark 1.26 the dml does not work, however the objective does correctly check off when you complete the mission, so use the dml but do not worry if it does not work in game.
    interesting - I see no reason why something like that would be happening. what is the problem exactly? the dml looks ok (maybe try to change Script 1 to Script 0), and the engine loads it fully.

also, 741 needs a working model, ex
    Code:
    +ObjProp 741 "ModelName" = "hamsol01"
    this will use a stock T2 model of a hammer soldier, or a proper model (hammer priest) needs to be imported into the fix pack (as a custom resource, ideally exphamw2 from TG, which will fix the problem straight away).

//also, I think all the shenanigans with AI meshes in Ranstall Keep shouldn't be necessary as long as a proper modern fm loader is used, so I'm proclaiming the previously posted dml complete/good to go.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 3rd Apr 2019 at 15:19.

Actually, it looks like The Library - The Town like was made with DEDX, indicated by the gamesys and several objects, but doesn't include the resources it requires. Including the mesh it asks for would probably be the best solution, so the hammer priest model should do nicely.

Additionally, further testing has exposed a couple other issues that should be fixed. In the crypts section, there is a zombie that is frobbable and shortly after that, in the caves, there is a fire that rapidly decreases the health of any AI within a certain distance of it, even if it has been doused by a water arrow. I have managed to fix both of these and the fix has been updated to account for this.

Zombified
    ah, now I see what's up with the Ranstall zombie 855, it's just a leftover prop that messes things up. here's the fixed dml (ran_miss18.mis.dml):
    Code:
    DML1

// Ranstall Keep: fix the crushed zombie

FINGERPRINT
    {
       QVAR "goal_target_0" == 639
    }

// remove the bad model name on the zombie
    -ObjProp 855 "ModelName"
    // the portcullises need to be locked
    +ObjProp 770 "Locked" = "TRUE"
    +ObjProp 777 "Locked" = "TRUE"
    +ObjProp 771 "Locked" = "TRUE"
    +ObjProp 775 "Locked" = "TRUE"
    +ObjProp 776 "Locked" = "TRUE"
    Last edited by voodoo47; 4th Apr 2019 at 08:09.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123