TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60

Thread: A question for musicians

  1. #1
    SShock2.com
    Member

    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: The land of ever sideways rain

    A question for musicians

    I have a question for those of you out there that are more knowledgeable than me. Let me set the premise first:

    I'm a pretty terrible musician. I know what bits I'm good at, and I know what bits I'm bad at. I can make some pretty decent backing music, and I'm actually quite proud of my drum machine programming. But what I am not is a song writer. I've tried and failed many times. I have about 200 half-assed songs that never went anywhere.

    Working on my most recent piece of crap today, I realised that that is what I do. I make tiny bits of songs. Not actual songs.

    So here is my question:

    Is there some music sharing website or community where I can upload my tiny bits of crap and then have someone else use it for their own songs? If so, where, and how do I use it? Keep in mind, I'm pretty old and thick, so please use small words.

    My tools are usually old analogue or analogue-digital hybrids like the Juno-1 (my first synth and preferred weapon of choice), but recently I've not touched them (mainly because they're in a box in a country far far away) and I've been using an app called Caustic instead. Regardless of my tools of choice, if I can export sound files and upload them, maybe someone more talented than me can use it for something better. Maybe there's even someone out there who also uses Caustic and I can just send them the files for them to muck around with. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2003
    Location: The Plateaux Of Mirror
    I dunno about collaborative sites, but you could do worse than at least sharing your stuff on Soundcloud so everyone can share in your joy.

  3. #3
    SShock2.com
    Member

    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: The land of ever sideways rain
    I posed the same question to my brother-in-law, who's a local musician and really quite talented, and he said Soundcloud as well. I've heard of it before, but never actually been. Thanks, I'll try it.

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    If you want to actually give the sounds away for others to use in their projects, you could always upload them to freesound.
    I know I go there if I want sounds for modding / gamedev purposes, so I'm guessing that musicians probably also go there for clips?

    But it's just a generic sound-sharing site, not specifically for music beats or anything like that.

  5. #5
    SShock2.com
    Member

    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: The land of ever sideways rain
    Yes, I do want to give away my stuff for free, if anyone is willing to have it, and make some better use of it. I realise of course that there are thousands, if not millions of musicians out there way more talented than I am, so there is really no reason why anybody would care about the crap I make. It's all gonna be highly derivative, but hey, at least it'll be free. Maybe I can just make a drum loop someone enjoys and can steal for their own project, be it a song or a game or (ugh!) even a lowly TV advert.

    So, thank you, I'll check out Freesound too. If I do use either of these sites, I'll link my crap here so you can hear for yourselves why I call it crap. Prepare to be underwhelmed.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    The way that happens on Soundcloud is you just start uploading stuff, and eventually you get requests from people into that style.
    It helps if you make stuff that's good for sampling.

    The other option, I can't say for sure it'd work but I'd wager, is to still upload to Soundcloud, but get involved with a forum for the kind of music community you want to be tapped into... I play piano and keyboard, jazz and electronic. For jazz piano, I know exactly where to go (the non-classical sub-forum of the piano.com forums). So if you can find the equivalent for that for whatever style you're into, then you just start posting and making yourself known, and at some point you start giving links to your music, and then collaboration opportunities come out of that.

  7. #7
    SShock2.com
    Member

    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: The land of ever sideways rain
    I only just now made a short piece that I'm not yet embarrassed to share, but I probably will be tomorrow. It's a pretty basic drum&bass track that might have been mildly innovative 20 years ago. I'm pleased with two things in it, the main drum bit and a bit near the end when the drums come back. Apart from that, the actual music is a lot more old and stale. But, I figured, if I can make a short thingy that makes me dance in my chair, maybe someone else might too. I'll try to upload it to some site or other, but if I fail, don't worry, you're not missing out on quality culture here.

    [Edit]

    Bleh. To sign up for Soundcloud was was trying to use the email account I use for lesser things, to avoid getting too much spam, but they now demand a bloody phone number to allow me to sign in, which I refuse. They shouldn't need my bloody details, I've had that account for years, if not decades. I'm too tired to deal with all the admin now, I'll work on it some other day.

    On the upside, you're not missing much, it was a pretty mediocre song anyway, it just made me briefly happy but I doubt anyone would actually care. Just imagine a really great drum&bass track from 20 years ago, and then scale it back to something much less impressive. A lot less. Like a 2/5.
    Last edited by Gray; 2nd Apr 2019 at 03:14.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    They do that now? Eyuch, sorry about that. There are other places to upload sounds, although at that point you may as well make a video of it with some fitting background art and upload it to Youtube.

  9. #9
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2001
    Location: Somewhere
    I wouldnt mind hearing your stuff.

  10. #10
    SShock2.com
    Member

    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: The land of ever sideways rain
    Oh no, please don't misunderstand me, all Soundcloud wanted was an email address. I'm perfectly fine with that.

    My problem was that I was gonna use my lesser email account, the one I use to register for various online stuff to keep most of the spam away from my main email account. It was my lesser email site that now apparentky does not allow logins unless you give them a valid phone number, thereby completely nullifying the reason I use it in the first place. I don't want THEM to start spamming my phone.

    On the upside, that bought me more time I probably needed. Predictably, that song sounds a lot less presentable now than it did at the time, I need to put more effort in not making the drums so tediously repetative. Also, it makes me wish I still had that electric guitar that I gave away to my niece, the song could use a bit of angry distortion. Now it's basically a drumloop experiment dressed up to resemble a song, and not a very good one at that.

    PigLick, you might regret saying that some day.

  11. #11
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2002
    Location: Edmonton
    Seconded. I want to hear them too. Soundcloud is still probably your best bet. It’s specifically designed to upload random music to, and it’s easy to link to tracks in forums and stuff. I use it for all the songs I’ve made that don’t fit in any specific project.

  12. #12
    SShock2.com
    Member

    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: The land of ever sideways rain
    Ok, I'll try to rework it a bit so it's somehow presentable, strip away the crappy bits like the, um "music", and focus on the drums and try to make them more interesting. If so, I'll post a link.

    Failing that, I might post 12 seconds of six different layered basslines I'm quite pleased with, but meh, I might lose faith with that as well. I try to do new stuff, but I have a strong feeling that more clever people have done almost all of it before me, and better.

  13. #13
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2002
    Location: Edmonton
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    I try to do new stuff, but I have a strong feeling that more clever people have done almost all of it before me, and better.
    Most musicians worry about that, I imagine (I sure do), but I don't think it's a good reason to not try.

  14. #14
    SShock2.com
    Member

    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: The land of ever sideways rain

    Boing. Boom-Tschak.

    Ok, after being distracted by real life stuff for a couple of months, I'm getting back somewhat to making music again. I've been using the Android app Caustic lots, and made loads of unlistenable crap on it, and two tracks I'm very nearly almost proud of if I can edit them properly, which I'll probably never do. Caustic will only allow 14 tracks, which is a bit limiting, but it's a great tool to get ideas down fast. Before I research a proper music software tool kit, I'm considering buying some actual new hardware. I have a few old machines in boxes in my parents house in a country far far away, or lended to my brother-the-actual-musician, but after watching a synth documentary a couple of weeks ago I'm quite keen to get a new synth of some type or other with lots of sliders and immediate controls. But I also gave away my guitar, amp and FX pedals to my niece, she's more talented than I am and I couldn't be arsed to travel with it, and now I miss it am I'm considering buying a new one. And a ukulele. That was another quick little thing you may think of as a silly little joke, but it can actually be quite good to quickly get ideas down, so I might get one of those again.

    Point being, I can't do all of those things at once, I'm not that rich. I could probably leave getting new software for a while, but I'm still gonna ask TTLG for suggestions. My questions are these:

    * What music software would you recommend? I had my eyes on Reason a few years ago, but that has probably been surpassed by something else I've never heard of.

    * I'm really very keen to get a new, modern keyboard with lots of sliders or knobs and realtime controls. It has to be very synthetic and not sample based, like a virtual analogue. Many years ago I had my eyes on the Roland JP-8000 or a Clavia Nord Lead (Swedish! I got a Clavia Nord Micro Modular, the coolest bit of gear I own, Clavia was the company that invented the virtual analogue), but there must be better machines out there now. Suggestions welcome. I grew up on the Roland Alpha Juno, and I know its synthesis very intimately, but the only controller you had was the Alpha Wheel. My Juno-60 has all the lovely sliders and direct access, except no MIDI. I never owned a Juno-106, but my bandmate did, and its basslines were almost as good as a 60, AND it had MIDI. Here in Scotland, a friend gave me his old Yamaha CS1x, which can do some reasonably neat stuff, but I haven't had the energy yet to delve into how to actually program the thing, so I've mainly used it as a master keyboard so far, or hooked it up to my Zoom RT-123 for late night drunken and ill-played nonsense.

    * electric guitar, cheapest possible piece of crap because I severely lack the talent, I'll have to pay someone to teach me how to do it properly, I already failed spectacularly with my old one. My dist and flange pedals are in a box 1000 miles away, maybe I should get a multi-FX unit, and if so, which one? Definitely needs to have flange, dist and phasing.

    * wildcard: the thing I didn't know I need, but you think I should look into. I'm open to unorthodox controllers, if it seems they could be actually useful, and not just for novelty value.

    Any opinions welcome, just don't overestimate my ability. If I was any good at this shit you'd have heard it already. It's mainly to entertain myself, so you may have to dumb it down a bit. Thanks.



    [Edit]

    It appears I may finally have figured out how to upload my crap to SoundCloud. This is not that previously mentioned DnB track, that failed miserably, this is just a short experiment in 6/8 time signature to see if it works. It's a very rough edit, and will probably never be finished, it goes nowhere and does nothing, but it can serve a purpose as a test track, and one I'm not yet ashamed to be associated with, but not really proud of either. It's a "meh". The distorted sawsynth was supposed to be a guitar, but I didn't have the actual thingy, and I couldn't make it sound even vaguely similar, so I just gave up. Sorry. I can't lie, I am pretty smug about one particular second near the very end, where after a fade the music kicks back in. Then I didn't know where to go with it, so it just stops. As I said, lacking talent.


    https://soundcloud.com/user-188042036/6-to-8-edit-1
    Last edited by Gray; 2nd Jul 2019 at 08:02.
    Boing. Peng. Boom-Tschak. Peng.

    System Shock 2 Walkthrough

  15. #15
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2001
    Location: Somewhere
    Thats not bad, the first thing that came to mind is the soundtrack to a stealthy Deus Ex level. I really wanted to hear a Windowlicker style breakdown section though, a little bit too tame.

  16. #16
    SShock2.com
    Member

    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: The land of ever sideways rain
    It is a bit tame, because I'm incompetent and severely lacking in talent. I think you'll find that everything else I'll later upload will also sound vaguely like a crappier, cheaper version of something else that someone did 20 years ago. Even when I think I'm being original, I'm clearly not. That 6/8 track has stolen bits of 3 different Depeche Mode tracks, plus a very remedial introduction on how to play drums sent to me by my brother the drummer, added to a melody that I think might be mine but probably isn't. I've not heard the track you're referring to, it may just be accidently similar because we stole from the same sources. Like I said, it doesn't really go anywhere, it's basically just a stolen groove with a melody I like.

    [Edit]

    Most of the other crap I make tend to be more melodic, and annoying so, almost always in G minor, this 6/8 is probably the only thing I've ever made that does not ever change its key. It's either that, or completely atonal noisy distorted drum machines that makes you want to punch yourself in the face. Or someone else's face.
    Last edited by Gray; 2nd Jul 2019 at 14:10.

  17. #17
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2001
    Location: Somewhere
    stealing is a time honored music tradition

  18. #18
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    The answer to all of your questions is it really depends on what you want to focus on.

    Re: Software, are we talking about recording other instruments & layering tracks, then Cuebase is fine.
    If you want that but more cutting and loops, that's Fruity Loops.
    Or are you talking about software that can actually synthesize and play music? Then there's Reason & all of its versions for each instrument type, Absynth (electronic & synthicizing), Band in a Box (good for jazz), and a lot of other things. (Band in a Box is cool for me because it can create completely new tunes and improvised solos so it's an endless stream of completely new music. I like taking one and changing it around to make it my own since then it doesn't really feel like "stealing" considering no one has ever even heard the song before it was generated.)
    I use Sibelius a lot because I like to actually write out the sheet music, and that's best for that.
    But everybody has their own preferences when it comes to making music.

    Uh, keyboards same deal. What do you really want? If you want a keyboard with the best sounding natural instruments (piano and guitar and violin, etc.) that's Yamaha's turf. I have a Mox 8 and I love it. Korg's turf is electronic bloops and bleeps. And if you want to synthesize your own sounds, that's a whole other ball park but a Sequential in your budget is the one I'd recommend. Important factors are the size and weight vs. capabilities. Is this something you're going to keep in a studio that does everything or that you want to lug around to jam sessions and just does the few things you really want, or something in between? One thing about keyboards, it doesn't really matter the voices that come natively on it because whatever software you use, you can link any modern keyboard to play it. So the only thing that really matters is the touch & feel of it and using it away from your computer.

    Electric guitar, even more than keyboards what matters is the touch & feel and sound you make out of it. I mean look for things like the action (the strings are a consistent distance above the fretboard), the string distance & fret size, really listen to different models on Youtube videos side by side, and pick the one that you like.

    Re: wildcard, I've learned on Facebook that me, Jason Moyer, and faetal are all synth junkies. The two of them in particular are analog synth junkies. I like those too, but I've spent so much time with software synths (Absynth in particular) that I'm fine sticking with them. Synthing is more about the experience of playing with sounds than making music per se. But if you worry about all the discipline of learning to make "proper" music, synthing is a cool alternative because you kind of can't lose. Any cool sound you make is something you've made & can be proud of, and unlike a lot of music you can do it without really understanding what you're doing, in fact it probably helps not to be entirely sure what that button or dial does lol. As for recommendations, if you want go the modular route then they're so specialized and individualized it's almost impossible to recommend anything. But for a general purpose one with keyboard attached, I'd still recommend the Sequential here too.
    Last edited by demagogue; 3rd Jul 2019 at 09:26.

  19. #19
    SShock2.com
    Member

    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: The land of ever sideways rain
    I just came back from seeing Ministry play live. It was an awesome show. It reminded me of what actual musicians can make, and quite clearly pointed out how shit I am by comparison. As much as I loved the show, it completely destroyed my confidence in my own very limited ability. Dema, you made several very good points and I will reply to them later, once I've gotten over this blow to my confidence. It might take me a couple of weeks, but I do have things to say.

  20. #20
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    Thats not bad, the first thing that came to mind is the soundtrack to a stealthy Deus Ex level. I really wanted to hear a Windowlicker style breakdown section though, a little bit too tame.
    The piano is what needs to breakdown. Other than that a sinister voice singing a sinister low and sibilant song that builds to the breakdown. I like it. It has potential.

  21. #21
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2003
    I am sort of in the same boat as you, Gray; I wasn't born with any particular talent for making music, but I still felt the need to try and make some anyway when I saw my chance. I did have a certain knack for computers, though, so going that route felt like the most viable option. I got into Reason when it first released and the main appeal with it for me was the modular synths approach (and still is). I am more of a technician than a musician, so Reason's approach felt like a nice fit for me. Often times what I make is not even music (in the traditional sense), but more like weird sound experiments put together by running cables hither and dither, that I like listening to myself. I would love to go physical (a wall of modular synths would be great), but I don't have the means for it, so Reason with its virtual rack is a good enough compromise. I went from Reason 1 to 3 and then stuck with 3 for a long time. This year, after upgrading my computer system, I went "fuck it" and upgraded to 10, which was a huge leap (and also actually helps with learning new things and keep me motivated).

    I create a lot of crap, but there's enough less crap to continue (something about personal growth and yada yada). Still more crap than not, though, but I'm sort of taking the "thousand monkeys eventually recreating the works of Shakespeare" approach; with enough material, some of it must be good -- statistically speaking...

    My main problem is that I'm often too impatient to sit down and learn properly, so I'm just going ahead anyway ("learn by doing" -- which is a fancy way of saying "learn by making crap" -- which is a fancy way of saying "make some crap"). A lot of the time I get distracted by my own, sometimes wild, explorations and experiments. This kind of works too, but it's certainly not ideal in any way, and -- unless I change -- it won't ever get me to a point where I can say that I actually know what I'm doing (which I don't). I fell out of it at one point and stopped completely for a long time. I could blame the "impostor syndrome", but I also know I will most likely never be a real musician no matter how hard I try.
    ___After my long hiatus I got into it again, with a newfound motivation (clichéd, I know, but I actually met my muse there for a while). Later I also went to Norbergfestival (in Sweden), which was an eye opener (seeing that more people like me actually existed). I still have a problem with feeling like an impostor, though, and connecting with like-minded people is hard, so, most of the time, I do whatever it is that I do in a vacuum (I would like to return to Norberg, but it's not happening at the moment).

    I'm not the right person to give advice, but feel free to use my above rant as a cautionary tale. TL;DR: Find and connect with like-minded people (you might think you're unique and that they don't exist, but you're not and they most likely do). Learning things properly will help and will get you where you need to go faster.

    Soundcloud is not the best for connecting with people; most are there to advertise their own creations (or the creations of their protégés), or try to sell their services (or spam you), but, for uploading and potentially sharing your music, it works and seems to still be widely used (I haven't followed similar platforms lately, though, so there might be better things out there). I have accounts on forums where people get together and share ideas/critique etc, but I don't remember their names now and haven't been active in a long while (I could try and dig it up again if you're interested).

    Do you enjoy creating the things you create more than you hate it? Then continue doing it. For me, it's like an itch, a sometimes unscratchable itch, but I still need to scratch it.

  22. #22
    Administrator
    Registered: Sep 2001
    Location: above the clouds
    Gray - I liked the 6/8 thing. It's arranged well - I also have the problem with getting a start on a track and not knowing where to go. The times where I did seem to figure out where to go I'm not sure how I managed it.

    I've got the same issue with thinking about originality as well, but that's self-sabotaging - because I know I'll learn a lot from basically stealing other forms, but my mind says that's "too easy" even though I can probably come out with something as good as musicians that squeeze out a little success. Also maybe it's not quite that easy just to finish a simple house track.

    It's perfectly fine just to make something to entertain yourself...

    I can tell you which software I fail to use very much in general - often because I'm lacking the mental energy after everything else in my life lately.

    I've had a version of Logic Pro for years but this isn't much help if you don't have a mac. I possibly bought an old piece of Pro Tools LE hardware because I wanted to play about with a moving fader controller without thinking that I didn't have anything to mix - probably an unhelpful distraction so also not a recommendation. Maybe it was worth wasting my time with it to realise how unimportant some hardware is when you are at a certain stage with musical endeavours.

    Most recently I just decided to get an updated version of Reason, which I have used in some form since it was first released. Reason 10 now has everything you might need including the ability to record audio, so I think it's probably quite a bargain. You can also use VST plugins in it so it's possible to use other soft synths and effects without using rewire and another sequencer. You can get a 30 day trial and have a go with it when you feel you've gathered some motivation perhaps.

    I've also got Native Instruments Komplete 8 - and I'm resisting upgrading because I don't want even more choices of things I probably won't manage to use. It already has Absynth, FM8, Reaktor, Kontakt, Guitar Rig, Battery and I don't use those much.

    I kind of miss the limitations of Reason 1 because the problem these days is just overwhelm. Reason 10 on its own has a silly amount in it.

    For a keyboard I use a Novation X-Station I've had for years - works well with reason as it's covered in knobs and it's easy to map synth controls.


    But coming back to the original point, I think I'd also find it helpful to find some community for getting feedback and some ideas on how to finish stuff, but on the other hand I also wonder if it's just a case of trying to ignore thoughts of originality and just mimicking stuff you like. I want to do more transcribing as that's a good way of learning how music you admire works while improving ability to get stuff out of your head and into the sequencer.

    Also I have a soundcloud page, where it bothers me I've got stuff I never finished that was posted a decade ago now fs.

    https://soundcloud.com/scumble/tracks

  23. #23
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2003
    Also, try not to compare yourself too much to others. A point of reference -- or something to strive towards -- can be useful, but if you think someone else's work is better, don't let that alone dissuade you. I'm pretty sure even performing artists pick and choose a lot, so what you're comparing yourself against is their absolute best efforts and the result of a long process (might even be that they once gave up on it, but picked it up again later). This would probably be where getting involved in a community comes in, talking to similarly situated people.

  24. #24
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    For me, I connect making music with practice. I always want to be improving my technique and learning new forms. Maybe it helps that I pursue jazz. It's such a deep and rich well of forms, you could pursue it forever and still have things to learn and integrate. And the nice thing about jazz, since it's improv based, is that whatever you practice just automatically starts popping up in your improv, and really cool sounds just starts coming out of my playing that even I didn't know I could do.

    But even aside from that side of it, I find practice therapeutic. Whatever drama and crap may be happening in real life, I always set aside time where I can just sit down at the keyboard and work on whatever's next in my queue, scales, vocabulary, different techniques. It's a merciful refuge a lot of times. I'd still be practicing even if I weren't doing it for the music.

    But as an added bonus, my playing will sound better. One has to love muscle memory & musical-sense (I guess you'd call it; knowing where you are switching from a Dm to a G7). They just improve with practice, like your muscles just improve with weight lifting. I have a lot of ideas about how to keep up good practice sessions. I might post some if anyone's interested, since I think about it a lot, but it may also be pretty genre specific too and people have to figure out what works for them, which may be different than others.

  25. #25
    SShock2.com
    Member

    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: The land of ever sideways rain

    Boom! Pssht! Tiki-tiki-boom-pssht!

    Thank you all for participating in my delusion that I may one day become a musician. Quite a lot to reply to there. Let's start from the start, and work our way down.

    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Reason, Absynth, Band in a Box
    I haven't really paid attention in the last few years, but Reason always seemed interesting to me, I just looked it up and it's currently $299, which sounds like a lot of money to waste for someone with no discernable talent, but then again probably less than I'd spend if I bought some actual hardware. Never heard of Absynth, but I'll have a look. I toyed around with an early version of Band in a Box years ago but didn't like it at the time, it's probably better now. I'm leaning towards Reason though, and not just because Propellerheads are Swedish but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a mildly contributing factor.

    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Sibelius
    Curiously, I'm vaguely related to Jean Sibelius the composer. A friend of mine is using Sibelius the software to compose his symphony and swears by it, but it seems a bit out of my league. Yes, I have a friend who's actually writing a full on symphony, with all the bells and whistles. Except no actual bells nor whistles.

    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    keyboards ... What do you really want?
    Anything really synthetic sounding with lots of knobs, but you've swayed me somewhat towards Reason now, and I probably can't afford both. I don't need another thing that sounds like another thing. I'm not going to lug hardware around, I don't jam or perform, just sit in my little room and make noise.

    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Electric guitar
    Yeah, I know, it was a stupid question to ask, there are entire forums dedicated to what types of strings are better than other brands. My knowledge and skill is so limited that any piece of crap will probably do for now. I shouldn't have asked.


    Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    I am more of a technician than a musician
    So am I. I would probably have made a pretty decent producer, I'm quite good at twiddling knobs and make sounds sound a certain way, copy a style from elsewhere or just make up noisy shit, but not a talented musician. That's probably why I love my Nord Micro Modular so much, like a mini version of a proper modular synth, albeit through a computer interface.

    Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    "thousand monkeys..."
    With my limited ability, I can't really aim for Shakespeare no matter how many halfbaked works I produce. At best, perhaps a Garfield cartoon. Metaphorically speaking.

    Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    impostor
    I get that feeling in other aspects of life, but not with music, because I know I'm shit and make no ways to try to hide that. The only time I get a feeling of impostor syndrome in music is when other people mistakenly assume I am a musician, but I try to correct them as quickly as possible. If asked what instrument I play, I usually say I play the drum machine. That is either met with a blank stare, or a laugh if they get what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    Do you enjoy creating the things you create more than you hate it? Then continue doing it. For me, it's like an itch, a sometimes unscratchable itch, but I still need to scratch it.
    That's exactly it. I'm not really making it for other people, just for myself and get it out of my system. However, the masochist in me tricked me into uploading to Soundcloud, so I can now worry about what other people think.


    Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    It's arranged well
    I disagree, I can immediatly spot several flaws in it, mainly where it's just the bass and the track sort of dies, but thanks being kind and for not pointing that out. Not to mention that there isn's an ending, I just ran out of ideas and didn't want to repeat bits too much.

    Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    Also, try not to compare yourself too much to others.
    I don't, really, except I just did in my previous post. I usually don't compare myself because I know how limited I am, it was just the feeling of coming home from an awesome gig that shone a big bright spotlight onto the fact that I'm not really a musician, just some pretentious dweeb who'd like to be.

    [Edit]

    When I make stuff, I usually start with a drum beat or a bass groove, but they tend to go nowhere or eventually all just end up with the same chord progressions. One idea I had lately was that I should start working from a different angle, with lyrics, or at the very least a theme or plan. I'm a terrible lyricist and so far have only been able to write about halfmade songs that usually turn into crap after about 4 lines, but maybe that's because I'm trying to write lyrics and music at the same time. Perhaps it's time to change my working methods, try to write words first, starting with thinking about what I want to say, then put some music behind it to fill in the gaps or portray the emotion I'm aiming for with the words. This may sound obvious to you actual musicians out there, but I've never tried doing it that way because I consider lyrics to be my weak point, as opposed to drum machine programming where I feel I'm pretty strong. It will just take me quite a lot of effort to write something that isn't awful, and I expect a lot of rewriting.
    Last edited by Gray; 12th Jul 2019 at 21:28.
    Boing. Peng. Boom-Tschak. Peng.

    System Shock 2 Walkthrough

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •