TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: To maintain creepy moments, if not spidesr then what?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flying insect.

2 28.57%
  • Wiggly Worms.

1 14.29%
  • Beetles or bugs.

5 71.43%
  • Nothing, total absence.

1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: FM Poll: Question for those with true Arachnophobia.

FM Poll: Question for those with true Arachnophobia.

Hello taffers, I'm working on a horror fan mission Buried Deed, and there was to be spiders - not as just filler but placed for what they will offer to the experience.

For my self, I don't actually have arachnophobia, just a basic low end fear of their creepiness, which is why I want them. However, for true arachnophobics, I understand it can ruin the fun and make the mission unplayable.

So I will be creating a DML that removes or replaces them. Which comes to my question; For you true arachnophobics, is there an alternative that can be creepy enough for your to enjoy? I rather replace them for something else for the net effect of creepiness but not unplayable terror.

I will make some suggestions for quick voting, but feel free to comment in a suggestion. If you do make a suggestion, support your choice with reasons why.

My suggestion:

1) Keep spiders, but place them all in a special area.
    2) Put a readable before the door to this area, warning potential arachnophobes. Indicate that it's possible to skip the spider area.
    3) Design a puzzle, a hall filled with traps, or a similar gameplay challenge as an alternative for those who do not want to enter the spider area.
    Last edited by Aemanyl; 4th Apr 2019 at 09:50.

Quote Originally Posted by bassoferrol View Post
    The sound effect added to 1:28 was just terrifying. It would be a good exercise in modeling to make something like this. Doubt it would make it in, but it's going on my wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    My suggestion:

1) Keep spiders, but place them all in a special area.
    2) Put a readable before the door to this area, warning potential arachnophobes. Indicate that it's possible to skip the spider area.
    3) Design a puzzle, a hall filled with traps, or a similar gameplay challenge as an alternative for those who do want to enter the spider area.
    I appreciate your suggestion. But, the spiders are a element that run like a vein in the whole mission. Putting them in one place will drastically impact my design and story, and readables that warn of any impending experience can soften the blow. Also, not all the spiders are actual AI per se. I understand that Arachnophobia is to the level of irrational fear beyond creepy. So I was hoping just to replace them with something else creepy to spare the intense fear.

But just to clarify, this will be a DML file, so you can have either the fan mission as is with spiders where they would be, or drop a DML into your fan mission folder to mod the fan mission. I think for whatever I end up going with for an alternative, I will still include a total deletion DML. So that will be the three flavors.