TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Portculis stays when power turned off and on

Portculis stays when power turned off and on

I'm trying to set up a portculis so that when a generator is turned off, the portculis stays where it is. I have a lever that opens the portculis and a lever that turns on/ off the generator CD linked to a RAT, and the RAT is CD linked to the portculis. The problem with this setup is that the portculis closes when power is turned off... The RAT isn't getting both Turn On from the two switches. How do I getv the portculis to stay unless power is on and the port lever is frobbed?

hoi john,

how about nvlinkbuilder to create ( and remove) a link between the (up/dpown)lever and the portcullis??

Thanks for the suggestion Nightshifter. The problem is that with a RAT a Turn Off is sent every time either the lever or the lever/generator are turned off.

I found an acceptable alternative. The portculis still stays open when the power is turned off but it closes when turned on. I added an inverter to send a Turn Off to the lever so that it is at least in the correct position.

Edit: I got my setup to work correctly the way I originally intended. I have used my object numbers as reference.

Portcullis lever -> CD -> RAT(1498) -> CD -> Relay Trap(1502) -> CD -> Portcullis
    Portcullis lever -> CD -> Inverter(1503) -> CD -> RAT(1504) -> CD -> Inverter(1506) -> CD -> Portcullis
    Generator lever -> CD -> RAT(1498)
    Generator lever -> CD -> RAT(1504)

Relay(1502) has NoOff set on the Script Trap Control Flags.
    Inverter(1506) has NoOff set on the Script Trap Control Flags.
    Last edited by john9818a; 13th Apr 2019 at 02:02. Reason: added solution

Glad You got it working. Ik love rube Goldberg machines too

But with the linkbuilder You wouldnt need a rat at all.

Just a lever tot operate the portcullis. No link (yet) to the portcullis.
    The lever to turn on/off the generator is alsof linked to the nvlinkbuildertrap. On getting the "on" signal the linkbuilder Will creatie a cd link from the other lever to the portcullis.
    Turn the generator off and the CD link to the portcullis is removed so the portcullis can't be operated anymore untill the generator is started again

Its ok. I like to do things the worst way possible.

ZylonBane
    Sounds like you're just wanting the generator state to act as a lock. Hook up generator switch to toggle lock, route portcullis lever through lock.

Or am I underthinking this?

Basically I have a generator which powers everything at a specific building. The portcullis has a lever that will open/close the portcullis but only when the generator lever is on. By using a RAT I can allow the portcullis to open/close only when the generator lever is on, but the RAT sends a TurnOff once the generator lever is turned off. This causes the portcullis to close. I wanted the portcullis to remain where it is (open or closed) while the generator is off.

It would be nice if there was a derivitive of the RAT that sends a TurnOn when it gets both TurnOns from the levers but sends a TurnOff only when lever one is turned off and lever two is on. If lever two is turned off then the derivitive sends nothing.