TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame de Paris is burning

Notre Dame de Paris is burning

Paris' iconic cathedral is on fire. The cause is still unknown, but comes in the wake of a wave of church attacks (that have seen little media attention and caused no protests or outrage)

Heart breaking. So far, it seems it was caused by some restoration work. Maybe a welder lit a beam. The stone will not be able to withstand the fire, but something tells me it will be rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by bjack View Post
    So far, it seems it was caused by some restoration work. Maybe a welder lit a beam.
    The campaign of recent attacks leads me to think otherwise, but I do hope you're right and it was merely an accident

A very sad day for the world, whatever the cause.

The recent wave of church degradations is worrying indeed, but I don't think the fire was malicious in this case. Most likely a worker colossally fucked up and was careless. I really don't want to be in the renovation supervisor's shoes because heads WILL roll.
    In any case, some of the most valuable treasures were saved. However the spire and the entire roof are gone, some roses melted due to the heat, one of the belltowers is burning from within and the firefighters are pessimistic when it comes to being able to stop the fire at all.

Drone pics:

Last edited by skacky; 15th Apr 2019 at 16:24.

Update: firefighters are saying the overall structure is "saved and preserved". The fire is still raging on the roof's floor however.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Update: firefighters are saying the overall structure is "saved and preserved". The fire is still raging on the roof's floor however.
    My hope now is that the restoration is faithful to the original, and not some modernist eyesore

We usually rebuild exactly as it was. The spire was an addition from the 19th century but there's no reason why it shouldn't be rebuilt as well, especially since it was being renovated and the 16 statues surrounding it were moved elsewhere for safety.

So sorry for Paris. I'm glad it wasn't a total loss, and I'm sure glad I got to see it before the fire. It will be an enormous project to restore.

Here's a pic of the interior. Looks like most of the vaulted ceiling is intact and damage isn't as bad as we believed.

Ok that's reassuring. Hopefully the structural integrity wasn't impacted

Here's a pic of the interior. Looks like most of the vaulted ceiling is intact and damage isn't as bad as we believed.
    That definitely does not look like the result of someone intetionally setting the place on fire. If that had been the scenario I'd have expected it to have started low and worked its way up instead of seemingly being confined to the upper level(s). A restoration worker fucking up currently seems like the most plausible explanation.

Well, it is mostly stone.

I'll cross-post what I said earlier on this.

I was just reading that it was designed to take a fire into account in its structural integrity. So props to the medieval engineers; it can rebuild.
    Not the same, but nothing ever is. It's tragic, but it's also a lesson in the impermanence and renewal of everything.

Latest news say that the roses and the organ are safe. It looks like only the attic roses melted due to the heat. Not sure about the rest of the stained glass windows, but I imagine they should be fine as well.
    So far, about €450M has been given to help rebuild the cathedral, most of it coming from French billionnaires (who don't pay their taxes, but hey).

That's great to hear the organ survived

Aerial shot of the aftermath:

So far the most common hypothesis for the origin of the fire is pyrolysis, which is pretty much invisible. It could've been caused by zinc sheets that were placed on the wooden structures. The renovation company says there was no one in the attic when the fire started. Other sources say that proper renovation of the wooden structure had not started, however.

EDIT: some other pictures of the interior

Last edited by skacky; 16th Apr 2019 at 10:27.

Doesn't look too bad. Guess you lucked out somewhat.

It's a tragic event, but yeah, I suppose it could have been much worse, and no one died which is the most important thing.

I've already seen quite a few fundraiser events announced to aid the rebuilding/repairing of Notre Dame, and I'm probably going straight to hell for saying this, but I find it absurd that people are raising funds for the Catholic Church. Sure, everyone wants to see Notre Dame in its former glory, but come on; the Catholic Church could probably afford to build a hundred 1:1 Notre Dame replicas and still have enough riches to do whatever it is that they do now.

They're not raising funds for the Catholic Church. Notre Dame is owned by the State and is a public monument.

Fair enough then. Wikipedia says that "while the building itself is owned by the state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity." So hopefully the Catholic Church will chip in, instead of just sending thoughts and prayers from the Vatican.

It was awful.

At first, I only saw the photos when I got back from work in the evening and I thought it was a montage.

Hopefully no one is dead.

All praises to the firemen who did a good job.

Now we'll have to wait like 15 years until we can visit the Cathedral again.

So far, about 450M has been given to help rebuild the cathedral, most of it coming from French billionnaires (who don't pay their taxes, but hey).
    It's good that they have money to rebuild a church associated with one of the richest organisations on the planet, but not to fund schools, hospitals and welfare.

I'll guess their argument would be that they're already paying for that. A better thing to ponder is whether they would be so generous if a natural disaster struck some random city rather than a famous medieval cathedral.

There's nothing you can do about how they deal with their funds.

But here are some documents, i know it's in french and the data are from 2013 :

http://admical.org/contenu/le-mecenat-du-cac-40

http://admical.org/sites/default/fil...sions_2013.pdf Page 9 and next

2017 :

http://admical.org/sites/default/fil...nfographie.pdf
    Last edited by Stefan_Key; 17th Apr 2019 at 04:36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast