TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: name one mission theme you would like to see more of in fan missions

name one mission theme you would like to see more of in fan missions

for me it would be some "escape missions",i looked at the current list of escape missions and sad to say its pretty small list,i know there are a small amount more not listed but still compared to other catagories it should be a higher number as the om's always had at least one escape mission in first 3 games

honorable mention would be outdoor exploration missions, garrett likes the fresh air and amazing skybox when doing missions

what theme of fan mission would you like to see more of?

Bank missions, without a doubt.

I think First City Bank & Trust is one of the few OMs that holds up without caveat to the best fan missions, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's because there are very few bank FMs to compete with it!

Really, the best 'bank heist' style FMs I know aren't actually in a bank: breaking into the vault in Hidden Agenda by AsyluM, and stealing the painting in The Portrait by Gaėtane, achieve the sense of a single thief penetrating layers of security at least as well -- if not better -- than First City Bank & Trust.

I prefer missions in great stately homes and estates including gardens

And also lovely City missions with good maps

Mage missions have been a bit underrepresented

i would agree azaran the mages have gotten way less then they deserve

i always wondered the mage's dealings with keepers? do they get along/etc???

also want to note,that yes there are some hammer mages/mech mages but why did they have them each cast items from there guild type lol

would have been better if it was the same casting maybe different color at most,but the glowing hammers and glowing sprockets seemed a bit silly

1. Dusk/dawn missions such as Behind Closed Doors.
    2. Nature/outdoors missions such as Trail of Blood.
    3. Autumn missions such as Autumn in Lampfire Hills.
    4. Rain/Gothic missions such as Endless Rain.

Surreal missions like The Sword.

ohh yes dimarzio pick ups i also like surreal missions

best one was lost on the far edges,first time i played that i was like how do i even play it

i also mentioned in a past post about doing mc escher type levels,but not sure the game engine can even do it
    Last edited by downwinder; 29th Jul 2019 at 18:55.

all of these above, but I truly love crypts and graveyards, zombies, spiders, skeletons and a theme like getting to make keys to move further on. I'm not good at remembering missions, but what comes to mind are the missions that were renewed by other authors so it would be like a whole other mission.
    I prefer campaigns, such as the Dracula series, Lady Bathory, the Seven Sisters, the Black Frog. Those beast were a killing horror to deal with, but what a sight and what a growling
    My mission would definately have a Dewdrop in it and some key making or potion making.

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

gloria i agree also those deep horror mission series are great,to visit all those amazing locals

and gloria dont forget about raindrop =my profile pic from seven sisters night 1 i think after starter mission,lady rowena made it so she is official dewdrops sister

I love densely packed city FMs like the recent Compulsory Egress, with twisty alleys and multi-level traversal puzzles. I can only recall something similar to the name The Warrens right now, anyone know what it was, or of others?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    I love densely packed city FMs like the recent Compulsory Egress, with twisty alleys and multi-level traversal puzzles. I can only recall something similar to the name The Warrens right now, anyone know what it was, or of others?

not sure of the name of it ,but there is one mission in a single street i think that goes way up with a ton of place to see,super hard mission,i don't think i ever beat it,you start out in a room at the bottom,deep story and complex game play for such a small area to explore ,and there are others forsure,i can think of at least 5 city missions weather by a port/etc that have some good exploring with in the city/sewers/rooftops and in between

i find my self when it comes to citys to like the smaller city where you go to another city/etc to have more travel time in distance myself ,but once in a while a good city is nice to search the nooks and crannys

i do rememeber fen did a let play of it and he did way better then i did
    Last edited by downwinder; 3rd Aug 2019 at 20:37.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    I'll update this when I think of more, but DrK's Dirty Money was a gigantic inspiration. The streets and sewers are far better connected and intertwined than Compulsory Egress -- it is insane to me that it was made in 72 hours. If you don't mind undead variants of cities, Lost Among The Forsaken is essentially a denser, larger and more detailed Dirty Money. The same goes for Rocksbourg 1 and Greenbay, although not to the same extent. DrK is basically king of knotted city streets.

Zealot's Hollow is another one. It is probably the most tangled FM I've ever played. It is exceptionally detailed, and has a beautiful custom ambient... but it might be too much of a good thing. I love it, but it can be frustrating to navigate in places.

If you want a city FM that has lots of nooks and crannies that reward exploration, but is more on the linear side, bbb's A Short Night's Work was also a massive influence. Don't dismiss it because the brushwork is a little bit old-school, it has more rewarding gameplay than 95% of FMs I've ever played.

Rooftop missions seems to be a favorite theme and is among my favorites.

Also city missions with lots of areas to explore (think Skacky and Melan).

Love any kind of Hammer missions.

As mentioned above, Mage missions are rare and would be welcomed.

Large manor on multiple floor with lots of rooms and many ways to get in.

Finally, my biggest request is for authors to please keep making missions. It is extraordinary that we are still getting missions for a 20 year old game.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Unusual missions, witty gameplay. KOMAG Contest 5 was full of them. The Haunting, The Saint. Brilliant, bizarre stuff.

- A good pagan/forest mission always feels special (though the second mission of Godbreaker seems unbeatable in terms of looks and atmosphere);
    - more daylight missions;
    - the "endless exploring" kinds of mission, where you as a player always get surprised like "there's still some fun left". I think bbb had a couple of long explorable missions like that.

ticky you are very smart to mention daylight missions i also agree on those as well

and yes bbb has the best long distance fan missions ever,i hope one day he makes a mission so long it would take me days to beat it

i also enjoy some good tracking people with out being seen type missions,done a handful and enjoyed them

only categorie i don't like is being poisoned in a fan mission where you are basically on a time limit,i also hate mission in pure darkness where you limited to light from flares/things on a time limit,basicly any mission that put a time limit on game play i don't like,except for vault doors being timed i can deal with that
    Last edited by downwinder; 4th Aug 2019 at 19:48.

I find myself wanting some plain old big Mechanist compound missions lately. It's quite surprising there's not more of these.

mech don't seems as social as other factions ,i would guess that is why,there humor is lacking,way to strict,most of there missions lack a good story as they drones of karras

i was more of a thief 1 fan as far as missions over thief 2

i sometimes wonder if they went the wrong direction with thief post thief 1

Mages, have been under used but when they have its great. We need some Mage, Keepers and pagan mish mash.

I think another issue with the lack of Mechanist missions is how specific Mechanists are. Most of the AI in Thief can be broadly dropped into almost any setting.

Human guards? Can be dropped into literally any setting where humans live.
    Undead? Can be dropped into literally any setting where humans used to live.
    Mages and Keepers? Bit less generic, but both left mysterious enough that there's plenty of room for filling in the blanks.
    Even the Hammers can be used for many facets of "generic religious group".

Basically, LGS may not have realised they were doing it at the time, but they created a world and a set of tools that are incredibly malleable to almost any story you wish to tell.

Mechanists however, at least as a focus for your plot, limit you significantly more in terms of characterisation and story, to events surrounding the main plot of Thief 2.

I've been wanting more mansion missions lately, and by that I mean mansion mansions, not mansion-with-a-haunted-crypt mansions that we got so many of in the mid 2000s.

Speaking of haunted crypts though, they are perfectly fine by themselves, and I'd love to see more catacoms, Old Quarter bits, and ruined cathedrals.

Finally, any setting with the beasts is fun as well. Doesn't have to be the Maw. Just look at how well they were used in Godbreaker.

i also want to say the "golden child" should be used way more,i would dare to say its the least used asset in fan missions

anyone disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    I've been wanting more mansion missions lately, and by that I mean mansion mansions, not mansion-with-a-haunted-crypt mansions that we got so many of in the mid 2000s
    "Dear Mr Speckleshank,

I must register my dismay at the state of the properties your agency has thus far suggested.
    I thought I made it clear that I was interested in a country manor WITHOUT a secret crypt,
    hidden cave system or lost temple beneath it, and free from hauntings, curses and damp.
    Surely such a thing must be attainable? The last three properties I have had the
    misfortune to visit did not meet these criteria and I am
    most disappointed in the service I have received thus far.

Yours sincerely,
    Lord Gwentin Ruggington
    "

--From nicked's Behind Closed Doors

I remember that readable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast