TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: To play Lost City original (TDP) version in NewDark (not T2!!)

To play Lost City original (TDP) version in NewDark (not T2!!)

Hi all!

Is there any way to play the original, Thief: The Dark Project version of the Lost City level (the one without the Hand Mages and with the water elemental), via NewDark Thief Gold? I mean, I would like to enjoy the original level with the advantages of newdark, but still as original as possible, so I wouldn't like to play it via Thief2.

Thank you in advance!

Zombified
    there is no such thing as NewDark TG, NewDark is just NewDark. dropping TFix lite on a fully patched install of TDP will get you as close to the original experience as possible.

what top post is obviously saying is he wants to play thief 1 the dark project version of lost city,not the terrible thief gold version

Zombified
    yes, and I'm giving him the best way of accomplishing exactly that.

Southquarter.com/fms
    If you don't want to use Tfix, you can just patch your Dark Project install manually with New Dark.

And...this doesn't have anything to do with fan missions.

Zombified
    as mentioned quite a few times, NewDarking TDP/TG is not as straightforward, as a bunch of fixes need to be applied to approximate the original behavior (most notably, the oversensitive AI fix).

don't do it unless you are very, very sure you know what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    there is no such thing as NewDark TG, NewDark is just NewDark. dropping TFix lite on a fully patched install of TDP will get you as close to the original experience as possible.
    Well, this seems to be the best option. By fully patched TDP you mean 1.18?

Thanks a lot!

Zombified
    it's been awhile since I've done something with TDP, but the last official version was 1.33, I believe.

it's been awhile since I've done something with TDP, but the last official version was 1.33, I believe.
    I think 1.33 was TG version number!

There were two final release versions of Thief The Dark Project: 1.14 and 1.33. Thief Gold only had one release version, 1.37. Installing 1.33 and applying TFix Lite will most likely achieve what you want.

Zombified
    TFix full also has support for TDP btw, and will install the mage-less Lost City when TDP is detected.

Thank you very much! Off to install good old TDP!

i am just happy someone besides me likes thief 1 the dark project over thief gold,its about time

Well, the best solution might sound strange for the first time. Since I did not manage to patch TDP from 1.14 to 1.33, I patched TDP 1.14 with the newest version of TFix. When I found out that scrolling through the inventory with the mouse scroll doesn't work, I simply copied (and overwrote) mission 9 (lost city level) from the patched TDP folder to my up-to-date-and-TFixed Thief Gold folder. Then started TG to play Lost City level, and there it is: original level with the water talisman objective, with TG and NewDark benefits. Couldn't work out anything better right now.

Zombified
    I don't think that's going to work, TG scripts don't play well with this mission.

reload the keybinds (TFix default), that should clear any control issues.

I don't think that's going to work, TG scripts don't play well with this mission.

reload the keybinds (TFix default), that should clear any control issues.
    Thanks, will try. Although the level started fine with TG, no issues yet, but only played for 30 minutes, so there might be problems later on.

Zombified
    if I remember correctly, picking up the talisman will not clear the objective, and that's kind of a problem.

To get full DP from Gold:

- Install TG
    - Install TFix Lite (may be optional)
    - Install Gold-to-dark patch

Another route, if you only care about Lost City being its DP version:

- Install TG
    - Install Gold-to-dark patch
    - Install TFix full

If I have got the orders of the two routes wrong someone can correct me.

Zombified
    as always, I recommend that whatever you do, if TFix of any kind is part of your equation, install it last.

There is also a changed mission from TDP to fit into TG story (with Talisman of Water removed): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=839934571