TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Release] Thief Gold ESRGAN Texture Pack

There's an inconsistency with this flower: https://imgsli.com/NDEzMg

The Flowers.png file in txt16 has the same filename as the one in txt, hence this mixture. I'm guessing these are leftovers of EP1, so I'd recommend removing the file in txt16.

Also in that screenshot, there are very visible seams between the repeats of the wallpaper pattern.

I'll fix this.
    But one question - what is the purpose of txt and txt16 folders? Why the 16 difference. What is the priority for textures to load?

txt textures all use the same palette (the default Thief palette), while each texture in txt16 can use its own palette.

A texture in txt16 will override one with the same name in txt.

The difference is mostly legacy. OldDark had a limit to the maximum number of unique colour palettes that could be loaded at once.

There's really no reason to use txt at all any more in NewDark.

ZylonBane
    Even more legacy than that. The txt folder is a relic of when Dark was based on a software renderer, and everything had to use the same palette.

If memory serves, the engine still requires placeholders in the txt folder when you're doing animated particles.

I noticed an error with scrolls in the game. Version used: 1.2b. Game language: German.
    https://imgur.com/a/6bq8ad3
    The problem is gone when I remove the "books" folder from USERMODS. Any ideas?

ZylonBane
    Looks like that font is using the wrong palette.

Parchment text glitch

I installed fresh Steam Thief Gold, ran TFix, and copied the 3 texture packs as required.

All textures are hi-def as expected, but when I frob a readable, the text is all pixelated white and blue and barely readable.

Have you see this issue before, or know what may fix it?

Thank you for any info/help

Shimonhead

Quote Originally Posted by Shimonhead View Post
    I installed fresh Steam Thief Gold, ran TFix, and copied the 3 texture packs as required.

All textures are hi-def as expected, but when I frob a readable, the text is all pixelated white and blue and barely readable.

Have you see this issue before, or know what may fix it?

Thank you for any info/help

Shimonhead
    I install a fresh copy of Thief Gold via Steam. Then run Tfix latest version. The readables are fine.

As soon as I copy the first zip contents for this esrgan texture pack into USERMODS, the readables text is hosed.

Same when copying the TFix pack next.

Any idea if it's an issue with the packs?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Sounds like from your post and AndiNo's above that this pack updates the book art but didn't insure the legacy fonts play well with them, which I have seen before. Try what AndiNo did above by deleting the books folder from wherever this mod is installed. (You can also just rename it if you want to be able to restore it easily.) This will of course revert you to vanilla book art, but better to be able to read the text until this issue with the texture pack is fixed.

Honestly, I have no idea why fonts are acting like that. So it is easier to just delete books folder.
    For other cases with characters I will try to fix it as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Akven View Post
    Honestly, I have no idea why fonts are acting like that. So it is easier to just delete books folder.
    For other cases with characters I will try to fix it as soon as possible.
    Thank you very much Akven, for checking into this!

Yandros - I feel like an idiot. I looked through the entire 4 pages of this post twice before posting to see if this issue was already addressed...and missed the 2nd to last post twice somehow.

Thank you very much for letting me know there is a temp fix!

Have a great weekend, both of you! I'm going taffing!

Shimonhead

Ok, I just moved all the files from txt to txt16 folder in TFix addon. It solves the problem with wrong characters.
    And deleted books folder

Thief Gold ESRGAN Texture Pack 1.3 TFix addon
    https://mega.nz/#!mg1gkSYZ!AH1X9uWcp...sh-iD2c6x572qo
    This will fix it. But you need to delete books folder manually.

I'll edit the first post

Ok, I just moved all the files from txt to txt16 folder in TFix addon. It solves the problem with wrong characters.
    And deleted books folder

Thief Gold ESRGAN Texture Pack 1.3 TFix addon
    https://mega.nz/#!mg1gkSYZ!AH1X9uWcp...sh-iD2c6x572qo
    This will fix it. But you need to delete books folder manually.

I'll edit the first post
    Thanks again for this amazing graphical enhancement. It really magnifies the immersion!

Do you plan to "ESRGAN" Thief 2 textures by any chance?

I plan to ESRGAN videos from Thief Gold to 1080p. Half-work done, just too lazy to complete
    Also will recreate my Thief Gold videos mod, with ESRGAN filtering instead of Avisynth - it gets better results.
    After that maybe Thief 2. Or Clive Barker's Undying))

Refiltered with ESRGAN videos looks really good, much more clean. The only setback is slightly increased specific noise in noised areas (like top and bottom cyclic noise in Intro). Maybe it could be slightly filtered with Avisynth. In this case, 1080p video will also look much cleaner.

Old videos method was - 320x240 upscaled to 640x480 with nndei. After InterFrame2 15->30fps conversion. After that 640x480 upscaled to 2560x1920 by ESRGAN using manga model. After that downscaling to 1350x1080.

New method - 320x240 filtered with ESRGAN jpeg compression artefacts model. After that 320x240 upscaled to 1280x960 with ESRGAN using manga model. After that InterFrame2 15->30fps conversion. After that downscaling to 640x480 for engine limitations.
    For HD 1280x960 will be upscaled with ESRGAN second time. In theory it would be 5120x3840 but my videocard could not upscale from such source (too big resolution). So I need to slightly downscale 1280x960. Maybe to 640x480.

Thief Gold videos mod redone with ESRGAN:
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149961

Thief Gold videos mod redone with ESRGAN:
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149961
    Thank you so much again for this!! Videos are amazing now too!!

Seriously cannot wait for you to do Thief 2!

*Just out of curiosity...if you do eventually ESRGAN Undying, is there any way to crack the Freelook so you can look up and down and all around like a normal FPS? Trying to play it now with only being able to look left and right is almost too annoying to even bother trying to get used to

Ok, first question. Does anyone had Thief 2 vanilla textures with palettes applied?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    All of the stock T2 textures have palettes, just not a common palette as the T1 textures do.

Just for the record, the messed up character textures and wrong texture of the red flower are still wrong in 1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffingtaffer View Post
    Just for the record, the messed up character textures and wrong texture of the red flower are still wrong in 1.3.
    Could you please share a save file)) I thought I fixed everything)
    What the red flower?

Could you please share a save file)) I thought I fixed everything)
    What the red flower?
    https://mega.nz/#!HyAk0SaQ!AqJdjRgFS...wIj24ll67PMgPE

I already explained the deal with the flower at the start of this page. There's a leftover of EP1 in obj\txt16 that takes precedence over the file at txt. As for the model texture, Farkus wasn't the only one that was messed up; models in Thieve's Guild had that problem, too. I didn't keep playing the game, so who knows if there are more instances of this.

Everything is fine in latest version

Are you sure you installed everything right? Maybe you did not use upgraded character models from TFix?

Hi. Thank you for working on this.

Would the texture pack work on vanilla non-Gold Thief?

I should still buy it, though.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast