TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Release] Thief Gold ESRGAN Texture Pack

I think it should work in Thief: Dark Project. But I didn't tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Akven View Post
    Everything is fine in latest version

Are you sure you installed everything right? Maybe you did not use upgraded character models from TFix?
    Well, I did upgrade to TFix 1.27 without a reinstall, but this happened before too. Just to make sure, those character models come bundled with TFix itself, right? Like, they aren't part of any of the optional stuff like EP1.
    Still, those flowers in the EP1 addon of your mod are out of place since this isn't meant to be used with the actual EP1, or that's what I understood.

Screenshot please for flowers)))

Screenshot please for flowers)))
    I posted a comparison in the previous page: https://imgsli.com/NDEzMg

There's a room in the 2nd floor of Constantine's mansion with that flower.

I think I found the root of the problem. It seems I need to fully resize EP1 content, not partially as I did with Thief Gold.
    It will help me later because Thief 2 also using EP1. And I already started to resize Thief 2 videos and textures.

There's a problem with a texture for the cage lamp used in the Air Mage's tower in The Mage Towers mission. It's supposed to (appear to?) be translucent, but the ESRGAN version doesn't have the translucency, only ugly black boxes in the cage of the lamp.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Illumination and Transparency properties for object textures are set in the object model itself, not on the textures. Unless it's a texture that used to be a GIF with binary transparency, the conversion process could have squashed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Illumination and Transparency properties for object textures are set in the object model itself, not on the textures. Unless it's a texture that used to be a GIF with binary transparency, the conversion process could have squashed that.
    Do you have a list of textures with GIF binary transparency (based on palette as I could see), so I can convert them to PNG with transparency channel? It's a pain in the ... because I can't say which texture need to be transparent unless I play every corner of the game.

Guys, if you had such issues - please post screenshots or save files or name of the texture for me to fix. I'm working on a Thief 2 now, but some stuff will be backported to Thief Gold due to identical files used. And I will reconvert EP1 content in the process.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I'm afraid I don't, no. It would require manually going through all the textures in OBJ.CRF and looking for them. I can say, though, that there shouldn't be very many. And before you go down that road, it would be good to identify exactly which object Unkillable Cat was talking about so you can determine if it is in fact a texture transparency issue and not something else.

I found an external object viewer. I will just try to look through every object in the game with new textures in that viewer and see if there are strange transparency issues which I will fix with PNG transparency channel.

For now I am finishing Thief 2 ESRGAN Video pack (SD and HD in 30 fps) which looks much better than vanilla videos. Also I fixed some interlace glitches in original movies for CS10, CS15, B16 and INTRO.
    Last edited by Akven; 14th Sep 2019 at 13:24.

I found an external object viewer. I will just try to look through every object in the game with new textures in that viewer and see if there are strange transparency issues which I will fix with PNG transparency channel.

For now I am finishing Thief 2 ESRGAN Video pack (SD and HD in 30 fps) which looks much better than vanilla videos. Also I fixed some interlace glitches in original movies for CS10, CS15, B16 and INTRO.
    The "Dark Engine viewer - Thief: The Dark Project 20th Anniversary Edition" right? If not I would recommend, but also what are you using in that case?

Could you provide a link to this viewer?
    P.S. I found it already)

Sorry I put it in quotes hoping it would be easy to find as I was running away. http://forcesw.com/

What are you using then?

Yes, I use Dark Engine viewer - Thief: The Dark Project 20th Anniversary Edition now.

I started to fix transparency, found some issues.

For example:
    https://imgsli.com/NjY3OQ

This flower was already bugged in vanilla game with no transparency in texture. I added transparency so black box is not visible on flower. But model still looks strange with texture flipping on the corners where the black box was.
    But it still looks better than with no transparent texture, so I think I will leave my variant.
    About all the trees and bushes had this issue in model.

Well, it seems viewer does not support gif palette transparency, so I had to guess

Little note to myself. I really hate Thief engine For the past time I had to guess too many times of how exactly it works. So few commentaries:
    1. All the FAM textures use external palette with color information. Palette is located in each folder with textures family in file full.pcx and it alters how the texture looks. If there is now full.pcx in folder, when textures use their own internal palette and do not need to be applied with external palette. Thief Gold uses one same palette for every texture except folders with no full.pcx. Thief 2 uses separate palettes for every folder but sometimes uses Thief Gold pallette.
    2. For easy tiling of textures after upscaling I made additional script which firstly expand image with overlapping pixels from opposite side. And after upscaling cuts this additional pixels. In this case you do not need to manually tile every texture in game. Cause subjective neural upscaling breaks tiling, but saves it if there are additional overlapping pixels present prior to upscaling.
    3. Textures in MESH and OBJ uses their own internal palette and do not need any palette applying.
    4. As I could see, only OBJ textures use transparency. Transparency for textures in Thief is based on palette of the texture. First color is always rendered as transparent. So you could open texture in graphics editor and look if texture use this first color or not.
    5. Currently neural networks do not support transparency or masks. So you need to edit every upscaled transparent texture manually by deleting areas or creating masks based on original texture. Nightmare. Object viewers for Thief do not support correctly drawn transparency, so looking for palette information through graphics editor is the only way (I wrote to Force to update his viewer on russian forum, maybe he will fix this in future).

5. Currently neural networks do not support transparency or masks. So you need to edit every upscaled transparent texture manually by deleting areas or creating masks based on original texture. Nightmare.
    An idea - if you know, that a texture is using transparency, then you may change the first colour in pallette to something standing out, like a strong pink or something. And then use colour selection in your converted image to get the upscaled mask, by selecting those pink colours. It may work or may not - depending what the algorithm is actually doing to these images, but if it does, it will save some time on masking out the transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    An idea - if you know, that a texture is using transparency, then you may change the first colour in pallette to something standing out, like a strong pink or something. And then use colour selection in your converted image to get the upscaled mask, by selecting those pink colours. It may work or may not - depending what the algorithm is actually doing to these images, but if it does, it will save some time on masking out the transparency.
    I was thinking of it but no. It will blend solid pink color into different shades with intercrossing between pink parts and main image. It will require about the same time in graphics editor to separate as fixing original black color. Maybe one day someone will improve ESRGAN algorithm.

Just a thought...could the final release of the ESRGAN'd Thief Gold Videos be linked into this first page? They should be included as part of the final 1.3 release texture downloads, right? To make a complete Thief Gold ESRGAN package?

Good point. Will link them

1.4 Fix beta changelog:
    -Improved fam/CHURCH/HAMMER1.png texture
    -Added missing obj/txt/ GUARDFC1, GUARDFC2, GUARDHLM, MED3, SERARM, SERBACK, SERCHEST, SERFACE, SERFOOT, SERHAND, SERHAT, SERSOCK1, SERSOCK2, SHIRT textures
    -Improved obj/txt/ HEADMET, MUSH1, MUSH2, MUSH3 textures
    -Fixed transparency for 46 textures in obj
    -Added missing mesh/txt16/ CHAINBEL and LEATHER textures
    -Fixed EP1 2 or 3 transparent textures
    -Fixed some non-authentical textures in EP1 with authentical Thief 2 textures
    -EP1 redone in two ways in two packs - authentical with altered or deleted textures for better vanilla Thief look and non-authentical with just upscaled EP1 textures
    -Refiltered carry images added to /obj/. Made by Corsair
    -Replaced texture obj/txt/DOOROR3A with higher resolution version
    -Replaced texture obj/txt/Dooror2a with higher resolution version
    -Replaced texture obj/txt/Doorol1a with higher resolution version
    -fam/rescore/doorwy2 texture was updated with better door from obj/txt/DoorOrn2 texture
    -fam/rescore/doorwy1 and doorwy1a textures were updated with better door from obj/txt/Doorol1 texture
    -mesh/Txt16/Gar01 in TFix addon pack. Hand braclet was changed from green to brown
    -sky and water fam folders were completely moved to addons to eliminate any possible bugs
    Last edited by Akven; 3rd Oct 2019 at 18:01. Reason: Corsair

I decided what to do with EP1. I will split textures for it in two parts. One with authentical Thief textures, where I manually choose which texture should be taken from EP and which from upscaled vanilla.
    And second part will be with remaining non-authentical upscaled textures. So if you combine them - you will get just upscaled EP1. If you use only first part, you will get more authentical Thief with changes from EP which are closer to vanilla style

1.4 version completed
    To be used with installed TFix patch. Unpack files to USERMODS directory. You better delete previous version of upscaled ESRGAN textures mod.

Changelog:
    -Improved fam/CHURCH/HAMMER1.png texture
    -Added missing obj/txt/ GUARDFC1, GUARDFC2, GUARDHLM, MED3, SERARM, SERBACK, SERCHEST, SERFACE, SERFOOT, SERHAND, SERHAT, SERSOCK1, SERSOCK2, SHIRT textures
    -Improved obj/txt/ HEADMET, MUSH1, MUSH2, MUSH3 textures
    -Fixed transparency for 46 textures in obj
    -Added missing mesh/txt16/ CHAINBEL and LEATHER textures
    -Fixed EP1 2 or 3 transparent textures
    -Fixed some non-authentical textures in EP1 with authentical Thief 2 textures
    -EP1 redone in two ways in two packs - authentical with altered or deleted textures for better vanilla Thief look and non-authentical with just upscaled EP1 textures
    -Refiltered carry images added to /obj/. Made by Corsair
    -Replaced texture obj/txt/DOOROR3A with higher resolution version
    -Replaced texture obj/txt/Dooror2a with higher resolution version
    -Replaced texture obj/txt/Doorol1a with higher resolution version
    -fam/rescore/doorwy2 texture was updated with better door from obj/txt/DoorOrn2 texture
    -fam/rescore/doorwy1 and doorwy1a textures were updated with better door from obj/txt/Doorol1 texture
    -mesh/Txt16/Gar01 in TFix addon pack. Hand braclet was changed from green to brown
    -sky and water fam folders were completely moved to addons to eliminate any possible bugs

Thief Gold ESRGAN 1.4 Base files:
    https://mega.nz/#!X8snFICC!AnsETdMwP...cIrQYd9BhWpQP8

Thief Gold ESRGAN 1.4 TFix addon (unpack after base files):
    https://mega.nz/#!ak0X1Y6J!QpxKquaFc...bCB4GTjzOROxn4

EP1 addon pack was redone. Now it's universal and works on both Thief Gold and Thief 2. And there are two versions of the pack: authentical with some of the textures replaced with upscaled vanilla, and non-authentical with just upscaled EP1 textures.
    (unpack after TFix addon files)
    Thief Gold/Thief 2 EP1 Authentical ESRGAN addon
    https://mega.nz/#!f48FxCgb!mPZoUSl9N...89DvHyVhJbXnao
    or
    Thief Gold/Thief 2 EP1 Non-Authentical ESRGAN addon
    https://mega.nz/#!io1X0QqD!QIVe2L39M...mSb36nyI69AZsc

========================
    And upscaled skies and water. Don't use them if your are installing full TFix with modded skies and water. I can't say if there would any bugs if you will use non-moded version of the game with this packs. I don't have time to check everything out, and NewDark engine behave very strange with this images.
    Sky addon:
    https://mega.nz/#!G98BzQ4Q!KyTGyX8oa...xPiEU4z6j3as8c

Water addon:
    https://mega.nz/#!300lRIYB!MAkUv7OZx...4jGiyV2BrnOUm8

==================
    Thief Gold ESRGAN video pack for upscaled movies to be used ingame
    https://mega.nz/#!WwNDXACD!-gN3Ce87Z...egFeW2BZemXFyE
    ==================

I will move links to first page tomorrow.

Slightly improved two textures in fam/temple

Example of improvement
    https://imgsli.com/Nzg2OQ

If I will not find anything more - I would upload small fix soon.
    Just rechecking stuff because of ongoing T2X upscaling. Want to improve some T2X textures too.

Slightly improved two textures in fam/temple

Example of improvement
    https://imgsli.com/Nzg2OQ

If I will not find anything more - I would upload small fix soon.
    Just rechecking stuff because of ongoing T2X upscaling. Want to improve some T2X textures too.
    Wow, that's like night and day. Have you tried doing whatever you did to that texture with the paintings? The old door has the same garbled look to it.

I also just reinstalled the game and TFix to see if that fixed the messed up character textures. Everything looks normal now, so the problem was on my end. ^^"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast