TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elden Ring

Level 10,000 achieved

Elden Ring

Hey guess what From Software and George R. R. Martin are making a game.

I like the weird imagery. Uh... "elden" is Swedish for "the fire". That's all I got. HYPE!

I'm probably one of the only people left on earth that has never seen a single GOT episode but hearing that a acclaimed storyteller is pairing up with the gaming chops of Miyazaki is definite hype material. He does seem to have somewhat of a fetish for severed limbs however.
    Last edited by twisty; 10th Jun 2019 at 05:38.

Moderator and Priest
    And I still haven't played Sekiro yet. I'm gonna have a Souls backlog if things keep up like this.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I haven't even finished Dark Souls 3 yet. I am all Soul'd out. I'm hoping this one will be less Soulsy.

Chakat sex pillow
    I haven't even finished Dark Souls 1 and I'm all Dark Souls'd out. But Nioh forever, mmkay?

Anyway, Elden Ring is - sorry to be the bearer of bad news - 'heavily based on Dark Souls', Miyazaki apparently told IGN. But there's good news too! Apparently it's so open its combat will be fundamentally different? Yeah, I don't know what that means either :U.

But Miyazaki knows what he's doing, so we'll see.

Hope they make something that's more of an RPG again one day. Sekiro was fine, but too action-oriented for my taste. More Tenchu than Souls, really. But I'm glad they are moving away from Dark Souls and mixing it up a little. Can't keep making the same game over and over again without the fire going out eventually.

I too was a bit "soulsed" out after completing DS3 and the two expansions. While I loved the finale episode (and the two DLC to a lesser extent), it definitely felt as though they have probably taken this particular series as far as they can in terms of gameplay and overall design. Whereas DS2 improved many aspects of the combat from DS1, DS3 refined this even further while adding back the great world design that made the original such a joy to play. As neither of the sequels matched the mystique, charm or storytelling of the original, this is probably the only area where another sequel could potentially surpass it however I strongly feel that they should leave the series where it is and concentrate on new (even Souls-like) games rather than run the franchise to the ground.

That said, I am yet to purchase Sekiro despite being pretty hyped for it. After a long hiatus, I recently started a fresh DS3 play-though on the PS4 version (I picked up a GOTY version during a sale some time ago) and am totally addicted again.

Didn't George R. R. Martin help with this one's lore? If so, I don't mind waiting to play it, since that means its lore will be the worst so far.

Like, seriously. If indeed it's our beloved edgebaron Martin, then the only viable builds will be Strength, Dexterity, Abortion Magic, and Comic Relief.

I've only recently started playing Sekiro, but it seems as though someone from From has developed a prosthetic fetish.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

This looks sick.

Release date: January 21, 2022. Coming to everything except Switch.

Look its a reskinned dark souls XD again.
    Doesnt look fancy.

It probably has really good gameplay, thats at least what i hope. Good content is what i hope for.
    If i want good looks i obviously look at some crysis videos...

I feel like the trailer doesn't really show much. It's supposed to be a gameplay trailer, but after watching it I still don't have much of a clue as to what the gameplay will be like.

verbose douchebag
    Looks like open world Dark Souls to me.

I'm into it.

None of the assets, be it enemy types, their animations and skins, or the environments, architecture and textures, or, for that matter, the gameplay, appear any different to what we've seen on their past 4-5 games, but I'm interested in seeing how this formula will work in an open world setting. I enjoyed the more cohesive story of BB than the final two DS sequels (I haven't progressed much beyond the first mini-boss of Sekiro to judge), so I'm looking forward to experiencing a tighter narrative in a souls game.

Forget these spinoffs.

Just. Make. Berserk. Game.

Stop homaging it and just make IT.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    None of the assets, be it enemy types, their animations and skins, or the environments, architecture and textures, or, for that matter, the gameplay, appear any different to what we've seen on their past 4-5 games...
    I know you're a moderator, but could you at least put a token effort into saying something that isn't completely fucking stupid?

I dunno, I kinda had the same feeling, that it was Dark Soul 3 all over again. Of course I'll give From the benefit of the doubt because I've never played a game of theirs I didn't love, but I'm not overly excited for Elden Ring based purely on the trailer. I hope they incorporate some of the combat ideas from Sekiro.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    I know you're a moderator, but could you at least put a token effort into saying something that isn't completely fucking stupid?
    Sigh. I don't feel that a post delivered in that way is worth replying to, but for what it's worth, if you disagree with my view at least provide some counterpoint or just ignore it and move on. Apart from George Martin's contribution (can't comment), I can't see anything that I haven't seen in any of their previous games.

At the risk of sounding entitled, I kinda wish Martin would stop taking on so many new projects and get on with finishing ASOIAF. It's been ten years since the last book, six or seven since the deadline for the current one passed. I know he doesn't owe us anything, but I really want to know how it ends.

If it's anything like the TV series, I'm actually pretty okay with never knowing.

verbose douchebag
    I'm in two minds. On the one hand, the TV series fizzled out badly, but on the other, running out of books really exposed Benioff & Weiss's lack of writing chops, so I'm curious how much better the end could be.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    Sigh. I don't feel that a post delivered in that way is worth replying to, but for what it's worth, if you disagree with my view at least provide some counterpoint or just ignore it and move on.
    Counterpoint: When not on TTLG, I'm a plasma physicist. Plasma is Fire. What are you?

verbose douchebag
    Well at least now you know it wasn't worth replying to.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Well at least now you know it wasn't worth replying to.
    The remark was free XP, and I'm an inveterate gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    I dunno, I kinda had the same feeling, that it was Dark Soul 3 all over again. Of course I'll give From the benefit of the doubt because I've never played a game of theirs I didn't love, but I'm not overly excited for Elden Ring based purely on the trailer. I hope they incorporate some of the combat ideas from Sekiro.
    THEN STOP WATCHING TRAILERS AJA~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast