TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkane's Deathloop

Sales data has been discussed before. IIRC, D2 sold 2.5M total. D1 > 3M just on PC, not sure about console but probably a couple million more. That's why people say D2 underperformed relative to expectations.

My point was that sales numbers alone don't tell the story. They make a lot more money from early sales at $59.99 than they do later at Steam fire sale prices. So a game that sells slowly at first and then develops a following that lasts for years won't be as financially successful as a game that sells great for 6 months and then drops of the face of the Earth.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Jashin View Post
    It's curious how you can't intuit the fact that a game with a rougelite die/repeat function is not gonna have a save anywhere feature.
    Right, so you don't actually know.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Immersive sim hardcore fans aren't the target audience for this game
    Are you sure about that? Because it sure as hell doesn't look like it's targeting fans of linear shooters like Doom. What we're getting kind of looks like if Croteam decided to mix Talos Principle and Serious Sam together. Which could be fun I guess, but would only appeal to that sliver of a subset of gamers who equally enjoy both slow-paced puzzle games and fast-paced twitch shooters.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 16th Jul 2021 at 14:34.

More gameplay:

Seems like an Arkane game to me.

I've mostly ignored this till now, but that looks pretty fun. Maybe someone here already knows, but I hope they don't bother with the good/evil paths that Dishonored had. After slogging through D2 doing a no-kill route (reload, reload, reload), I realized that I probably would've had more fun slaughtering my through the game. But the problem is that the player is actively discouraged from this by being told that if you do, you're a villain. I don't want to play as the bad guy; I just want to experience all the variety of gameplay that's available without feeling like an asshole for doing so.

Yeah [edit: speaking to Jason]. Except for the death warp, I think every kind of move and situation had some analog in Dishonored. Also, I believe this game helps cement the fact that hand stretching and swirling electric particle fx are the central pillars of immersive sim-ism.

Don't get me wrong. Looks like it'll be slick to play, which is a kind of fun.

That last video makes me think it's going to be like a full-length Mooncrash for Dishonored. The movement/powers/etc. are pretty clearly DH-like, and it even has the "you get a certain amount of time in each loop before something you probably can't deal with yet comes to kill you" thing from Mooncrash. I dunno if I'm going to like it (I still haven't finished Mooncrash) but I want to play it.

Coming up on a month before release, I find it pretty bizarre that Deathloop is a console PS5 exclusive, and you can't buy a PS5 anywhere.

Technically you can, for exorbitant scalper prices.

ZylonBane
    Bizarre that Sony would shell out exclusivity money hats for such a niche game.

Oh well, it'll give Arkane a a few months to polish the hell out of the Xbox version.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Apparently it'll give em a YEAR to polish the XBox version: https://nordic.ign.com/deathloop/478...september-2022

Yeah it is kinda weird. I guess Sony has some money in the exclusives-budget and not a lot else to spend it on this year.

The Architect
    Funny story: Deathloop and Mooncrash went into development independent of the other project. We had no idea what the other team was cooking up. The similarities are a coincidence and really only surface level.

And oh yeah, it's crazy niche. Still feels shocking we were allowed to do something so weird and experimental.

Happy to see you popping in to say hi after all this time. Best of luck with Deathloop. It looks promising.

Missed the feature on this from Quakecon:

Guessing we won't get any reviews on this until after release day, because its Bethesda?

Here are the system requirements btw. Seem a bit high to me:

Minimum (1080p, 30 fps, low settings):

Processor : Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600
    Memory : 12 GB
    Graphics : Nvidia GTX 1060 (6GB) or AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
    DirectX : Version 12
    Storage : 30 GB available space (HDD)

Recommended (1080p. 60 fps, high settings):

Processor : Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
    Memory : 16 GB
    Graphics : Nvidia RTX 2060 (6GB) or AMD Radeon RX 5700 (8GB)
    Storage : 30 GB available space (SSD)

Ultra (4K, 60 fps, ultra settings)

Processor : Intel Core i9-10900K @ 3.70GHz or AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT
    Memory : 16 GB system RAM
    Graphics : Nvidia RTX 3080 (10GB) or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16GB)
    Storage : 30 GB available space (SSD)
    Last edited by Brethren; 9th Sep 2021 at 13:18.

Not linking to any, because there are a ton, but reviews are starting to trickle out if that's your thing. I'm going to try to ignore this game until I can actually buy a GPU to run it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, reviews are currently 88% avg. on PC and PS5.

I'm thinking I'll get it on PS5.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Minimum (1080p, 30 fps, low settings)

Graphics : Nvidia GTX 1060 (6GB) or AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
    This is, uh, disappointing. I wonder if they have some sort of upscaling option; it worked pretty well with Control; I could run at 30FPS more or less with most of the bells and whistles on (not ray tracing, of course), and it looked great, even at 1280x720 or whatever low res it was actually rendering at.

I do wonder about these specs. Like, surely, it can't be that hard to just cut the textures down and turn off post processing to make the game run ok-ish on older GPUs?

I guess it's prolly a mix of a) not wanting to spent time on optimizing/testing on lower-end GPUs and b) not wanting to "compromise" the vision by making the game look like potato.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    I do wonder about these specs. Like, surely, it can't be that hard to just cut the textures down and turn off post processing to make the game run ok-ish on older GPUs?

I guess it's prolly a mix of a) not wanting to spent time on optimizing/testing on lower-end GPUs and b) not wanting to "compromise" the vision by making the game look like potato.
    I would guess they selected the targeted GPUs at the start of development with an expectation that it would be the standard minimum at the time of release. Also, they probably didn't expect the GPU shortage we've been having for quite a while now, or at least not that it would last this long.

From a quick scan of the latest Steam HW Survey, ~61% of users have a GTX 1050 or better (including the AMD cards I can see should also fit). So if my guess is correct, they weren't too far off (at least if they consider roughly half of PC gamers an acceptable target audience). It's worth noting that the GTX 1060 accounts for a whopping 10.14% in that survey, that's a sizeable chunk of players lost if they can't play reasonably well.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooof, Steam reviews are quite rough: Mixed (64% positive)

Pretty much every bad review is about stuttery performance and the Denuvo anti-piracy.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Alrighty, I played the first couple hours on PS5. Runs smooth, tho I did have one crash (just after leaving my appartment for the first time). Died quite fast on my first attempt but on my second I made it to the end of the day (and the loop). I'm following the story and not exploring too much. I figure I'm gonna end up exploring these same environments a lot anyway before this story is over. I am intrigued by the mysteries of this island. The gameplay is very much what you'd expect from an Arkane immsim, but with some nice improvements on the formula. I like the tagging system, for instance. Just like in lots of stealth/action games you can tag enemies, but here if you keep the tagging button pressed the camera zooms in and follows the enemy and also shows info about them. It's kinda like the Heart in Dishonored 2 has been rolled into this feature. Which is cool. I never really used the Heart is D2 since it was a separate object you had to switch to, but here it's nicely streamlined into a function you'll use all the time.

So far it's feeling a lot like Prey, which is a very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    I would guess they selected the targeted GPUs at the start of development with an expectation that it would be the standard minimum at the time of release. Also, they probably didn't expect the GPU shortage we've been having for quite a while now, or at least not that it would last this long.
    I don't think it's reasonable for developers to assume gamers will continue to upgrade like they used to. Every time there is a bull market in crypto currencies, GPUs become scarce. It's been that way for the last 5 years, which is probably why a 5 year old card is still the most common card in the Steam survey.

From a quick scan of the latest Steam HW Survey, ~61% of users have a GTX 1050 or better (including the AMD cards I can see should also fit). So if my guess is correct, they weren't too far off (at least if they consider roughly half of PC gamers an acceptable target audience). It's worth noting that the GTX 1060 accounts for a whopping 10.14% in that survey, that's a sizeable chunk of players lost if they can't play reasonably well.
    Dishonored 2 ran like crap on release. D2 sales also fizzled out early, perhaps because of the performance problems and negative Steam reviews. It could be the same for Deathloop.

To me, it seems like a disaster to release a game that only half of PC gamers can play, especially if it plays poorly at low resolution & low settings on the most common card out there. Is there something special about the game's graphics that requires more GPU power than other recent AAA games?

I think we've reached a point of diminishing returns where hardware requirements keep getting steeper, but we're not seeing the big improvements in graphics that used to justify the upgrade cycle.

Thing What Kicks
    Quick question: does Deathloop use the Bethesda launcher, even when launched through Steam?

If you're talking about a big, intrusive launcher like the Rockstar one, then no. It's possible the game launches something in the background, and I did have to create a Bethesda account, but other than that launching the game seemed pretty seamless.

Thing What Kicks
    Good to know, thanks Thirith.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast