TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Arkane's Deathloop

I'll buy it when they remove Denuvo.

I am enjoying this game, I think it's a potential all time classic from Arkane, but I'm getting some very frustrating crashes at key moments. Last night, I had wiped out all of the Eternalists in Updaam, and was in the middle of fighting the Boss (Charlie), when the game suddenly crashed and I lost all progress on the level. This is a particularly awful game for losing progress, since you can't save at all in the middle of a level. Anyone else have/having issues like that?

I had crashes regularly in Updaam Night, I fixed them by disabling NVidia Reflex in the options menu. Maybe this will fix yours?

Have people been playing this with leads turned on or off? I just made it through the tutorial and now Iím set free, but the game does want to funnel me in particular directions. Iím wondering if itíd be more rewarding to just disable leads and explore on my own or if that would end up being too tedious.

I've been playing it with leads turned on, but after the relatively long intro I never felt railroaded. For me, the leads were more like an in-game repository of notes. It does have that thing where the character might pick up on things that the player might miss (which cannot really be avoided, I think), so if that bothers you, it may be best to try without leads, but I thought there was plenty of freedom, on various levels, when I played with them.

I had them on for the Wenjie mission, and it did create a specific marker for each Wenjie that I could see at all times. I died, on the second try I turned the leads off, and I think it did make it more exciting since I had to figure out where each one was on my own. I think for now I'll leave them off but turn them on if I get stuck or bored.

It took about 25 hours, but Deathloop is finally getting its claws in me, and it might be my new favourite Arkane game.

It happened around the time I was first invaded by a real person. The maps are big enough that if your invader doesn't immediately kill you at the entrance, you can get into a real game of hide and seek, chasing each other across rooftops, backtracking through passageways so that eventually you might even end up behind your opponent and kill them by surprise. Invasions clued me in to how impressive the level design is and how distinctly useful each power and weapon is. I see the predictable AI as more of an obstacle to completing your objectives than as a simulation of a human opponent. So yes, the AI is dumb, but its placement turns every traversal into a series of careful decisions, especially when Julianna's around. And best of all, when you mess up, it's a chance to try a different tactic rather than reload. I mess up often, so I'm getting lots of opportunity to try different playstyles whereas I'd normally just sneak, die, reload.

Initially I was disappointed that the time loop structure didn't allow for the sort of creative puzzle-solving of a game like Outer Wilds, where you have to be in the exact right place at the exact right time. But in Deathloop the purpose of the loop is to remove the omnipresent fear of consequences typical of immersive sims. I always wanted to play Dishonored as a murderer, but the game made me feel bad when I did, and I wasn't a big enough fan to try multiple playthroughs with different styles. Deathloop cleverly forces players to learn its maps the way a speedrunner or die-hard fan would, turning experimentation into the core gameplay in a way that Dishonored didn't. So when I think of Deathloop as actually having a relatively linear campaign that's designed to give the player more freedom moment to moment, it makes a lot more sense. Arkane seems to have been aware of the problem, and their solution is ingenious.

Finally, and more subjectively, I love the feeling of movement, especially mantling; I love the crack and thump of the weapons, the guitar-feedback sound when an Eternalist dies ([dies] in the captions), and the haptic feedback of the PS5 controller -- a subtle but memorable example is the little thunk when you flick a numerical dial. It feels good to play, and I'm a little addicted to it right now. If you're reading this, Digi, well done!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789