TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Hellbound - 90's style FPS

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Hellbound - 90's style FPS

Hellbound, 90's style FPS, out Aug 5th. Made by an Argentinian indie studio, who seem to be utterly passionate about what they're creating. Been on my radar since the Kickstarter a couple years ago. Looking fun!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/753590/Hellbound/

I'm not sure about the art style. Everything looks like it's made of clay. However, the gameplay looks fun enough, like a descendant of Painkiller.

"90's style FPS" is such a weird genre when basically every style of first person game ever made was done by the end of the decade.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    "90's style FPS" is such a weird genre when basically every style of first person game ever made was done by the end of the decade.
    I think of a 90's style FPS as being balls to the wall, crazy fast paced action, a'la Doom, Quake, and Duke Nuken 3D. They're opposed by the more measured, story driven FPSes that came later, like Half Life, Halo, Bioshock, and their ilk, which we still tend to see more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    I'm not sure about the art style. Everything looks like it's made of clay.
    That's what makes it look so cool to me.

If everything wasn't going down in 1 hit be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I think of a 90's style FPS as being balls to the wall, crazy fast paced action, a'la Doom, Quake, and Duke Nuken 3D. They're opposed by the more measured, story driven FPSes that came later, like Half Life, Halo, Bioshock, and their ilk, which we still tend to see more often.
    Yeah, I mean, I know that's what they mean. Although I don't consider Doom, Quake, DN3D to be the same kind of FPS and Half-Life came out in 1998. For me it's weird because I don't really have any interest in a 90's style FPS in the style of Doom, DN3D, or Half-Life but I'd be all about a retro 90's FPS in the style of Quake, System Shock, or Descent. And for the record, I think this game looks/feels more like Painkiller than a 90's game. Big arena levels, 1-hit enemies, using the same gun/strategy on every enemy, etc.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads