TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NewDark T2 1.27/System Shock 2.48

'When all is Darkness,
    the munificent Raven,
    guides us to the light.'

I'm totes stokes m'goats about the Dromed section of the release notes. Thanks you shadowy benefactor!!

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    Thank you Corbeau.
    Amazing to see that NewDark is still alive!

Now, if we could just ask for the new model BIN format version reader, that supports more than +/- 1024 polygons...
    I also would love that now we could use objects with more faces.

i wonder if this newdark version allows the use of more objects or are we still limited to : obj_max 8184 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    i wonder if this newdark version allows the use of more objects or are we still limited to : obj_max 8184 ?
    There haven’t been any changes to limits in this version.

Zombified
    at this point, it's pretty safe to assume that all the limits that could be lifted, have already been lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    There haven’t been any changes to limits in this version.
    thanks, i assume the cell limit is still the same ?

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    thanks, i assume the cell limit is still the same ?
    But why male models?

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    But why male models?
    what? i didn't mention any male models.

I don't know if it is a good place to ask this question but i didn't found any better so...

How to actually run this multiplayer T2 if i want to play with someone?
    1. Do i just run ThiefMP.exe and host a game? If so what is the ip my companion needs to use (which one from cmd>ipconfig? IPv4 Address?). Will i need hamachi or something because my friend does not see ma host?
    2. Do i need to run/configure/do_something_with globalserver.exe?

The readme does not fully provide with step by step instruction for dummies... can someone help me with this please?

That's right, I didn't see a readme in the .zip package for the mp setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzio View Post
    I don't know if it is a good place to ask this question but i didn't found any better so...

How to actually run this multiplayer T2 if i want to play with someone?
    1. Do i just run ThiefMP.exe and host a game? If so what is the ip my companion needs to use (which one from cmd>ipconfig? IPv4 Address?). Will i need hamachi or something because my friend does not see ma host?
    Yes, you run ThiefMP.exe. Once launched, you choose either to Join a game, host a game, or connect to the global server. The package doesn't include an actual global server address, so I think they are assuming we as players would set up a global server somewhere and share the address with others. You also have to uncomment a line in the multiplayer CFG file included with the package to enable the global server feature. If you leave it disabled, the option does not show in the menu.

As for the IP, it'd be your IPV4 address, yes. However, I used Hamachi to connect between two computers within my house, as I mentioned in my last post. If you can't make a connection happen, I suggest Hamachi.
    2. Do i need to run/configure/do_something_with globalserver.exe?

The readme does not fully provide with step by step instruction for dummies... can someone help me with this please?
    Yeah, I can't seem to figure out how to use the global server. When I launch it, all it does is bring up a little black window saying it is running. No settings, no way to tell what the server is called, etc.

@ZylonBane: Yep, I thought you were living under a rock.

Anyway, to be serious, we'll see if you're right. I will have to test a mission that uses a custom script and see if it works properly. I know just the one to try too, as it never worked properly with Tos' patch. And I may be wrong but I seem to recall that Tos' patch was based (at least somewhat) on the SS2 code. I'm pretty sure he looked at SS2 when developing his mp patch, although you could be right about how his code being more of a "hack" and not matching too closely with SS2's. I would imagine however that the NewDark developers had to "hack" it as well, unless they had access to SS2's source code. (I'm assuming that's where you are basing your comment on, then.)

From what I recall, for the multiplayer edition of Yandros' A Thief's Holiday 2004, I created four starting points and I based this off SS2, by reviewing how that game was able to create four distinct player spawns within a multiplayer session. SS2 and Thief 2 share a similar code base from what I recall and all Tos really did, my understanding anyway, was "hook" into the code that was within the thief2.exe already. Seemed that Thief 2 already had a small bit of code as a starting point for multiplayer, which SS2 later expanded upon. After all, it is the same engine.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 20th Jun 2019 at 23:57.

My bad, I wasn't paying attention. The readme file for the Thief 2 multiplayer feature is in the t2_v127.zip folder itself labeled "mp_release_notes.txt" I'm such a taffer, lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Yeah, I can't seem to figure out how to use the global server. When I launch it, all it does is bring up a little black window saying it is running. No settings, no way to tell what the server is called, etc.
    As the GlobalServer documentation states, it is a server to which the multiplayer client can connect that displays all multiplayer games from other clients that are connected to that server. This is what the "global_server_name" and "global_server_port "configuration variables are for, though the default port is 5199. When these enabled, a third option will become available in the multiplayer menu with which you can view all games started by clients connected by that particular server. It is extremely easy to operate; after starting the server, you simply have to direct the configuration variable to the address it is being hosted on, ideally through a domain.

Unrelatedly, I have noticed a lack of sound in the system menus while using the multiplayer executable, which seems rather odd considering there is little reason for such a change and the documentation makes no mention of this.

Yes, I'm aware of those variables. I guess what I meant was, the window itself doesn't tell you anything about the server, just that it is running. But I also alluded to the fact that you need to have a server address for this to work, which they did not supply one. It is up to us to create one. I'm no expert on setting up servers, so I am not sure how I would accomplish this.. but, as long as direct connect via IP works, the global server is not necessary. Although, it would be nice to pop on and see what sessions are available out there.

Yeah, okay, I'm not the only one then. I've noticed the lack of sound in the menus, too.

And where exactly is this multiplayer CFG file called to enable the Global Server feature?

Update, nevermind. I found it. Man, ok ok. I'll stop acting like Benny the Guard.
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 21st Jun 2019 at 00:07.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I guess what I meant was, the window itself doesn't tell you anything about the server, just that it is running. But I also alluded to the fact that you need to have a server address for this to work, which they did not supply one. It is up to us to create one. I'm no expert on setting up servers, so I am not sure how I would accomplish this.. but, as long as direct connect via IP works, the global server is not necessary. Although, it would be nice to pop on and see what sessions are available out there.

Yeah, okay, I'm not the only one then. I've noticed the lack of sound in the menus, too.
    Yes, this is true. The GlobalServer executable simply hosts a service on the network with no further configuration. Provided the port on which it is hosted is not closed, other clients may connect through the host's public IP address or any domain that directs to this address. Though again, for most of us this is of no concern. The global server is intended to be a hub through which other users may join multiplayer games, though at this time we have no dedicated server to facilitate this. For the purpose that most will use multiplayer for, a direct connection will most likely suffice.

The sound behavior is rather odd. Perhaps it was not intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmike1489 View Post
    And where exactly is this multiplayer CFG file called to enable the Global Server feature?
    It is named dark_net.cfg and can be found in the multiplayer ZIP.

Thank you!

Trying to get this to work with my brother, but the person joining always gets a "Join Failed' message after a second or 2 after clicking the Join button. Just to clarify, we use IPV4 addresses and the port is forwarded.

I'm probably going to wait a little longer until the next update for the multiplayer is fully stable. I'm afraid, I may mess up my entire game and then I'll have to re-install everything. It's such a hassle.

Apparently the gen.osm inside the mp folder prevents StdButton script to work, i experienced that as single player.

Good to know, now I can keep my eyes open for a future fix on that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Niborius View Post
    Trying to get this to work with my brother, but the person joining always gets a "Join Failed' message after a second or 2 after clicking the Join button. Just to clarify, we use IPV4 addresses and the port is forwarded.
    Try hamachi. Also try having the opposite person host of whoever hosted the first time.

Thanks sNeaksieGarrett,

I've been trying to get it to work with Hamachi but to no avail yet. I also noticed that the other player appears to keep going offline/online. Either it's the server or the user, I'm not sure (on his screen Hamachi is always on)

Also how will I know that ThiefMP uses the Hamachi network, or does it always use both networks anyway?

Zombified
    I'm guessing the mp osm is not meant for sp use.

That is odd considering the Installation section of the release notes.

Extracting "mp.zip" will overwrite some original OSM files with multiplayer compatible versions. These
    updated OSMs still work with the singleplayer game. If you're not comfortable with that, you can make
    a separate copy of your entire game directory and install multiplayer in the copy instead. That way
    you have dedicated single- and multi-player installs.
    However, I can confirm that the StdButton script does not function properly when using the main executable. I was hoping to push T2Fix 1.27 today, but this may require some additional work to behave nicely with the rest of the install.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast