TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Question about the Dark.cfg file and certain objects not loading properly in DromEd

Question about the Dark.cfg file and certain objects not loading properly in DromEd

So, I've been reading about how many objects can DromEd handle before it can't anymore, I have it set to:

; object counts
    obj_min -6144
    obj_max 8000
    max_refs 14000

And because I'm not entirely sure what the recommended number value for these that can be a stable total amount of objects that's suitable for editing and creating fan missions that the program can handle. What is

the best recommended value I should use? Other people have different opinions, I understand. And also as well I like to mention too, for example. I notice in the MONO window next to the DromEd window, I get a list of "Warning:

Failed to load model "SD4X4 for object 913 and some other object warning, failed to load model on certain models that don't seem to be rendering like their should.

You can certainly bump those numbers considerably higher, but those values are for object ID limits and have nothing to do with failing to load models as far as I'm aware. The models failing to load sounds like either the bin files are not in the right place, or the filename is wrong or something like that. Have you verified the bin is in /obj?

Oh ok, so for example I can raise the numbers like this?

; object counts
    obj_min -80000
    obj_max 14000
    max_refs 30000

This is just an example, I never experiment like this before by playing with the numbers. Where in my Thief Gold and Thief 2 directories is the specific bin files located so I can move them in /obj? The obj folder is in the "RES" folder right?

I have mine set to:

; object counts
    obj_min -8192
    obj_max 8000
    max_refs 40000

I've never run out of anything this way.

For the bin file, what is "SD4X4"? I'm presuming it's a custom model; it's not in the original games' res/obj folders. What object is using it? The other reason could just be that the Shape/Model property is spelled wrong?

Cool, I’ll set mine like yours then so we are on the same page. “SD4X4” must be a custom model since I am a playing a fan mission in Thief 2 called “A Dire Return” That mission does have a lot of custom models I guess that the original author added. Because depending on the fan mission, some of the authors use custom content that’s not in the original Thief games and can cause DromEd to not load the models properly because they are not in the bin folder along with the other models.

Yeah if a mission references a model that hasn't been packaged with the FM, it won't load. You'll get all the same properties ingame, it just won't be visible.

I see, yeah. So when I play the mission in-game, the object will be visible, almost like the object is glitching because I don’t have the object file in my bin/obj folder. Unless DromEd uses an object similar to that custom object and replaces it with just the basic object instead.

If the object file is missing, it won't ever be visible.

The only ways you'll get something glitching in and out of sight in-game is, either the object uses multiple frames with a tweq and one or more of the tweq'd models are missing, or more simply if the object is very large and the model centre gets too far offscreen, the object may be culled.

I see, so in that case, how do I tell Dromed to filter out all the missing objects so they don’t load in game? What’s the command to do that? And it would save me a lot of time trying to delete every single object manually even though I wouldn’t know what I’m looking for.

There's no one command I'm afraid. If you're not sure which objects are affected ingame, you could add a custom model to the obj folder with the right name and look for the garish, out-of-place thing.

Oh ok, I understand. Dromed didn't add that in or just forgot. Plus when I increase to what you recommended to use:

; object counts
    obj_min -80000
    obj_max 14000
    max_refs 30000

I get one of those assertion error messages that DromEd normally says when something went wrong. I forgot what it said, but it can't accept the number of objects to be over a certain number. Why is that and how do I fix it?

Those values are far too high to be acceptable, even under NewDark. You can read more about this behavior in this thread.

You should use values in the realm of what nicked suggested, as they are fairly close to the reasonable limit, though also do not inhibit the functionality of the editor.

It should look like this then if I'm correct:

; object counts
    obj_min -8192
    obj_max 8000
    max_refs 32768

So, I won't have to be getting those annoying assertion error messages anymore.
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 24th Jun 2019 at 04:08.

ZylonBane
    STOP F***ING WITH THINGS THAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Quote Originally Posted by General Freiherr von Hammerstein-Equord
    I divide my officers into four classes as follows: The clever, the industrious, the lazy, and the stupid. Each officer always possesses two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious I appoint to the General Staff. Use can under certain circumstances be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy qualifies for the highest leadership posts. He has the requisite nerves and the mental clarity for difficult decisions. But whoever is stupid and industrious must be got rid of, for he is too dangerous.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 24th Jun 2019 at 12:01.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    STOP F***ING WITH THINGS THAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.
    Alright, it's working now. I changed the value of those numbers successfully. No more assertion error messages. Thanks for your help, have a nice day!

P.S. We are all human and we make mistakes, but the best thing to do is to learn from them.