TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: GOTFHOTY2019

Level 10,000 achieved

GOTFHOTY2019

It's that time again! That most cherished of traditions is back, it's time to pick our Games Of The First Half Of The Year!

Mainly I'm making this thread because I actually haven't played that much great stuff from 2019 so far yet and I'm wondering what I've missed. I'm not seeing that much exciting stuff on the horizon either, not before 2020 at least. Is 2019 just a slow year for games?

Anyway,

My top 4
    1. Void Bastards - The only legitimately great game I've played from this year.
    2. Rats, Bats, and Bones - This pulled me in much more than I expected, and I really enjoyed my 13 hours with it. MAKE MORE LEVELS, SMALLFRY! Also put the soundtrack on Spotify plz.
    3. American Fugitive - This GTA1-alike had great driving and "escaping from the law"-mechanics, but forgettable story and mission design.
    4. Gato Roboto - a short, but solid Metroidvania with a lot of personality.
    5. A Short Hike - A short but sweet Humble-original.

Also good
    Clam Man
    Descenders
    Picross S3

Been meaning to get back to these
    Baba is you
    Pikuniku
    Derail Valley

Meh
    New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

So what are the great games I've missed and should totally pick up in the Steam sale which starts in 2 hours?
    Last edited by henke; 15th Jul 2019 at 12:24.

Let's see, just off the top of my head, these are the games on my list of currently playing or wanting to play at some point:

DMC 5, Sekiro, RE 2, Bloodstained, Metro Exodus, Observation, One Finger Death Punch 2, Travis Strikes Again, Katamari Damacy Reroll, Gato Roboto, My Friend Pedro, Katana Zero, Pathologic 2.

I've picked up 2 games this year, neither are officially released.

Subnautica: Below Zero, which is still in early access and lacks a lot of story stuff. Otherwise more Subnautica, but in a different environment and with several new creatures, if you liked the original you'll probably like this.

and

Dauntless, it's a F2P Monster Hunter game that's in open beta. It's a solid option if you want to try out the genre, unless you're alergic to non-Steam platforms. It is also available on Xbone & PS4 with full crossplay.

Of the two I've spent far more time playing Dauntless. It can be really grindy when you need certain materials to upgrade your gear, but the various fights themselves are fun enough for me and the different weapons play differently enough to make me try them all out.

Moderator and Priest
    I really like Hob so far.

Well the Steam sale is probably the most underwhelming one so far.

Amid Evil is a rad fantasy FPS with some far-out level design.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok yeah I definitely wanna play Resident Evil 2. I'm also kinda interested in Katana Zero, Gato Roboto, Bloodstained and Amid Evil. Putting all of these on my Steam wishlist, tho I think I'd rather play most of them on the PS4 or Switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I really like Hob so far.
    That one came out in 2017, GRAMPA!

I've played so few 2019 games so far. My whole list would be Void Bastards. Ask me in a month, as I'll have played Bloodstained by then.

I guess I haven't played enough games from 2019.
    Most games I'm playing are from past years.
    I've played a number of 2019 indies, but I couldn't actually recommend them.
    Ok, Gato Roboto is cute, and I get the obvious Metroid nods.
    I didn't play Metroid in its time, so it doesn't capture me like it might others... But it is cute and kind of fun.

And there are ones I bet I'd recommend when I get to them (American Fugitive) or buy it on sale (Void Bastards), but I haven't played them yet.

The only one I can definitely recommend that's definitely 2019 is a little indie platformer called Himno.
    It's a casual & stylish procedural platformer where you just kick back and jump around endlessly collecting sprites and finding exits to the next level.
    No enemies, no real tricks even, just "the floor is death water".
    It's currently one of my go-to relax & chill games.

Edit: It's free so the sale isn't even really relevant.
    Last edited by demagogue; 26th Jun 2019 at 06:15.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    That one came out in 2017, GRAMPA!
    It just came out on the Switch, though.

Chakat sex pillow
    And it is rather nice, in an oldschool Zelda sort of way. Problem is I forgot about it somewhere about 2/5ths of the way through because of some other shiny game, and I'm afraid to go back because I'll have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing wherever I last saved at.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Renz, ok, that's allowed!

Sulph, come on man, list some games! You buy more new games than, like, anyone. Is Hong Kong Massacre worth getting? Katana Zero? A Plague Tale?

Cadence of Hyrule is worth getting, but only in a sale I think.

Katana Zero is like a mix between Mark of the Ninja and Hotline Miami. It's only 4-5 hours long, but it's pretty neat while it lasts. I'd say it's worth it if you liked Hotline Miami in particular, as it has a very similar gameplay loop.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Sulph, come on man, list some games! You buy more new games than, like, anyone. Is Hong Kong Massacre worth getting? Katana Zero? A Plague Tale?
    Well excuse you, I certainly do NOT buy that many... *looks at purchase history* okay, nevermind.

Hong Kong Massacre: it's like if you slapped Hotline Miami and Max Payne together and got a slightly fidgety, fairly repetitive murderthon. The music's all right, and the slo-mo makes for an intense fireworks show every time a weapon's fired, but Hotline Miami and Max Payne were just more tightly designed.

Katana Zero: great music, tight and responsive controls, and like Starker said it's a spin on Hotline Miami - but with some extremely pleasing bright and chunky pixel art. The other thing is, it's got a better story hook than HM because it's not hellbent on being trippy as fuck, though drugs are a big theme in its cyberpunk post-apo. Also you get to sashay around as a badass samurai who gives, like, no fucks at all. In other words, it's great.

A Plague Tale: Innocence: it's hard to sum this one up, but it's essentially an adventure game with some fairly stiff stealth and sling mechanics. I liked it for the vividly rendered relationship between a kid brother and elder sister which is really the beating heart of the experience, though it may be surrounded by death and violence and swarms upon swarms of rats chittering in the shadows. It's beautiful to look at when it's not horrifying; the story is well-acted, and well-told*, until about 3/4ths of the way through where the cracks in the gameplay start to show, and the story swerves into weaker aspects like leaning on the mystical instead of keeping it in the background, and a villain with poorly explained motivations. I'd still recommend it as long as none of those faults are dealbreakers to anyone reading, but probably not for an asking price of 60 USD - it lasted me about ten hours, and I took my time admiring the environmental design in each chapter.

My Friend Pedro: It's like Hotl... okay, yeah, you know what: yes, it's also got elements of Max Payne and Hotline Miami like KZ and THM, but laced with a quantity of something that somehow combines ballet and bananas. It's pretty great. Though I hear it gets more gimmick- and timer-reliant in the second half, the first half is pure murderous joy. I'd recommend it over The Hong Kong Massacre if you were considering choosing between both.

*in French

Somehow after reading all that I feel like what I really need to play is Hotline Miami.

Chakat sex pillow
    If you haven't yet, you probably should. It's pretty bangin'. Also weird as fuck, but that goes without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    If you haven't yet, you probably should. It's pretty bangin'. Also weird as fuck, but that goes without saying.
    I picked it up let me see... 6 O_o years ago, played it for 5 minutes and was really unenamoured with it.

Then, I think dethtoll kept banging on about it and so I persevered with it and became addicted for a while. Play, die, repeat. And that soundtrack.

Games of 2019:

uh, in terms of new ones... none.

I've only had time to just finish XCOM 2.

And I play Hearthstone now and then when I get 10 minutes to myself.

brb, adulting

Level 10,000 achieved
    RPS did a list of their games of the year so far: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...2019-so-far/1/

It's got a few things I'd forgotten about(Ape Out!) and also some stuff I'd never heard of. Need to give Things We Lost In The Flood a try.

edit: ok, yes, y'all should definitely give Things We Lost In The Flood a try. It's free, but you can pay if you want to. I paid a couple bucks after my session with it.
    Last edited by henke; 12th Jul 2019 at 05:40.

Revised list:

1. Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night
    2. Void Bastards

As said earlier, Bloodstained is excellent, gets better as it goes along and grows on you. Void Bastards starts off strong, and over time gets really damn annoying. By the end I was really disliking it. More from the repetitiveness of it all, and the annoying voices. So count that 2nd spot as a very low second. If Far Cry 5 had been released in 2019 it'd be number 2.

I guess Gato Roboto is only game from 2019 that I played this year. I guess that makes it my game of the year (my only complaint about it is that it wasn't long enough).

Moderator and Priest
    I'm only two hours in, but I can already tell that Dragon Quest Builders 2 is gonna be my Game of the Century.

The Happy Console Gamer and his wife reviewed that game this week. His wife is completely obsessed with it.

Moderator and Priest
    Cuz it's freaking awesome is why! Totes the GOAT!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Played through Gato Roboto (on the Switch) over the last 3 days. Yeah, it's a really solid Metroidvania with a lot of personality. Like Aja said, it is quite short (around 3-4 hours for me, tho I only ~86% completed it) but the story still felt well paced.