TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: What FM should we cover in the near future?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Art of Thievery suggested by Galaer

3 18.75%
  • Calendras Legacy suggested by punkey brunster

9 56.25%
  • FMs by AsyluM suggested by Independent Thief

4 25.00%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Thread: Thief Podcast: NEW EPISODE FILCHER f. JOHAN HJÄRPE(creator) & STEALTHDOCS

Quote Originally Posted by mxleader View Post
    I was just listening to to podcast #24 and had no idea who Fritz Leiber was and now I want to read some books. There are two kindle volumes available on Amazon and was wondering if those have all from The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouse series. The Wikipedia page bibliography list isn't super easy to follow. Anyone know if the two Kindle volumes has everything I need to read in the series?

Two Sought Adventure (1958). Collection of six short stories. Later expanded and retitled as Swords Against Death.
    Swords and Deviltry (1970). Collection of 3 short stories.
    Swords Against Death (1970). Collection of 10 short stories; an expanded edition of Two Sought Adventure
    Swords in the Mist (1968). Collection of 6 short stories.
    Swords Against Wizardry (1968). Collection of 4 short stories.
    The Swords of Lankhmar (1968). Expanded from "Scylla's Daughter" in Fantastic, 1963.
    Swords and Ice Magic (1977). Collection of 8 short stories. (Though see Rime Isle below.)
    The Knight and Knave of Swords (1988). Collection of 4 short stories. Retitled Farewell to Lankhmar (2000, UK).
    I will direct this question to Seth

I was just listening to to podcast #24 and had no idea who Fritz Leiber was and now I want to read some books. There are two kindle volumes available on Amazon and was wondering if those have all from The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouse series. The Wikipedia page bibliography list isn't super easy to follow. Anyone know if the two Kindle volumes has everything I need to read in the series?

Two Sought Adventure (1958). Collection of six short stories. Later expanded and retitled as Swords Against Death.
    Swords Against Death (1970). Collection of 10 short stories; an expanded edition of Two Sought Adventure
    The Swords of Lankhmar (1968). Expanded from "Scylla's Daughter" in Fantastic, 1963.
    Swords and Ice Magic (1977). Collection of 8 short stories. (Though see Rime Isle below.)
    The Knight and Knave of Swords (1988). Collection of 4 short stories. Retitled Farewell to Lankhmar (2000, UK).
    Hail, friend!!

So the 'Swords' series was originally a collection of short stories. The best way to read them is in omnibus format in which the stories are assembled in chronological order.
    The first of these is Swords & Deviltry. If you're a quick read or completionist you can also get a set of the first three books!

I hope that helps you, and happy reading.

Thanks, that is helpful. I like to start a series at the beginning usually and it looks like Amazon has a two sets of digital books that has everything in the series. I do prefer paper books over digital so I might scour the interwebs for used copies.

Last edited by Supremcee; 21st Aug 2021 at 16:50.

OMG, I read the title as Trace the Courier Tomb.

Oh you gamers with your number-letters

After listening to just over half of the podcasts I feel inspired to work in Dromed again. I'll probably regret it shortly.

I take this as a huge compliment Thank you! and "another service brought to you by inside at last" hope your motivation will last a while

I got copies of all the "Fafhrd and Gray Mouser" collections in the early 2000's and read them regularly. The stories themselves were written over the span of 50 years or so by Lieber. For these collections, he rearranged the order of the stories and added a few new ones to fill in gaps so that they appear to tell the story of the two's careers chronologically.

There is also a book written in '98 called "Swords Against the Shadowlands" which was written by Robin Wayne Bailey with Lieber's estate's blessing.

I can't imagine that any fan of the Thief games would not enjoy these stories. They are not what I would consider standard swashbuckling fare. The stories are all very cerebral in nature.

from the moment i read about the infinite floors and started going up the staircase, i knew i was in for something special with this mission. even though i only got about 10% of the maths jokes, the mission was highly entertaining and very creative. and ive got to say has some of the best puzzles ive ever seen in a thief mission. just for good measure, HHHH also has one of the worst puzzles ever: that triple-ringed wheel is pretty awful to interact with (even if thats largely the engine's fault).

the question i would ask trefoilknot: bringing real—albeit slightly fictionalized—mathematical concepts and personalities and squabbles into the late-medieval-fantasy world of Thief is a surprising move. how did you end up there? did you start with the concepts as a base for puzzle design, and then bring the mathematicians into the story? or was it the other way around?
    Last edited by vfig; 24th Sep 2021 at 15:33.

thank you - great questions btw - noted and will be asked in the episode

So Taffers it’s big brain time with TREFOILKNOT. We of course talked about his biggest mission yet: HEIST AT HILBERTS HIGHRISE HOTEL but we also talked a lot of his other impressive work Bertrand’s Forgotten Tomb and The Sunken Temple of Dielya – thank you Trefoilknot for all of your interesting answer and that you successfully explained those complex topics for everybody to understand.
    Missions:
    Sunken Temple of Dielya

Bertrands Forgotten Tomb

Heist at Hilberts Highrise Hotel

Math behind H@HHH Thread

Thanks for sharing this awesome podcast. I found another brilliant mission of Trefoilknot which somehow slipped through my hands.
    Two words: Just awesome!

I loved the buildup of the mission, seemingly from a normal hotel burglary job to a descent into the madness of infinity. While the first readables could had been interpreted as a joke "many things in my hotel are infinite, but my patience is not", it was cleary meant literal after I looked up from the astronomers balcony.
    And so this mission turned to to be big - raiding an infinite hotel would require a HECK of a time.
    It was also fun jumping from the balconies at the top of the building - achieving the longest fall of all fan missions I ever played.
    Gameplay turned out to be brilliant - looking up got me to many places, it took me a time to understand there was a double-helix staircase leading to Hilberts quarters, I entered areas through broken or frobable windows, tricked the security system of the stone through a painting and found the solution to all other riddles with a second closer look. And at last I found some very clever hidden secrets. Riddles were sometimes hard here and some patience is required.

It was a nice hommage to Hilberts Hotel Paradoxon - Wikipedia
    Luckily there was an elevator (taking the stairs to the top would be very tiresome )

But is it actually technically possible to travel to the top of an infinite high hotel in a finite amount of time? I think, yes it is: maybe the elevators travel through some kind of wormhole.

Thank you you seem to be really invested in this mission and its impressive unique ways of architecture. I'm glad that you found this gem at the end ! btw. Trefoilknot will give you answer to your theory soon
    Last edited by Supremcee; 27th Sep 2021 at 14:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinking Robot View Post

But is it actually technically possible to travel to the top of an infinite high hotel in a finite amount of time? I think, yes it is: maybe the elevators travel through some kind of wormhole.

Glad you enjoyed it, Thinking Robot! But regarding your query, wormholes could work, I suppose. But there is an easier way (if you ignore pesky things like relativistic speed limits and the crushing force of gravity). Suppose the lift accelerates as follows: the first floor takes one second. Every time it ascends a floor, it doubles in speed. After 1 second, it's gone one floor. After 1.5 seconds, it's gone 2 floors. After 1.75 seconds it's gone 3 floors. How far have you gone in two seconds? Is there a finite floor you won't have already passed?

Check this thread for more: Math behind the mission

i would have like to have seen a Schrodinger cat in a box in the office where no glasses cat is gone and with glasses the cat is there

I like that idea....but would have been a cliche I guess

I'm listening now. Thank you for having him on! Filcher deserves more attention.

You taffers should really check out Filcher. It's the most pure and direct Thief-like game I've played, and it's really a well made game on its own. Also, it's only US$9.99, which is, appropriately enough, a steal for what it offers. (Har, har... sorry!)

I've written more about it over in its TTLG thread in General Gaming: Filcher

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415