TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TG FM - A Night in Old Quarter (2019-07-09)

Thank you and congrats Korthak. Just started playing - very nice design, atmosphere and layout - I'm enjoying finding all those nooks and crannies. Right, got to get back to The City

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    @fortuni: check convict.osm
    Is it big (~1mb)=correct
    Is it small (123kb)=wrong - that's convict.osm T2.
    Thanks Unna, you Dromed wizard

Cause was because I had patched my TG install with BulletDromed and hadn't played a TG mission since I upgraded to W10 so hadn't come across this issue before now.

Hmmm, still can't find the compendium or that 2nd key key for the crypt - I must be missing something obvious...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMax View Post
    Library
    Thanks, i have been there, searched everywhere didn't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Thanks, i have been there, searched everywhere didn't find anything.
    2nd floor Library, on the side of bookcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    2nd floor Library, on the side of bookcase.
    ahhh, i was in the wrong place, found it, thank you very much!

Mission finished on "normal" with 1 hour and 8 minutes of gameplay. This is one of the best TG/T1 missions i ever played , the map is very well constructed, love the care invested in the way how buildings were built, with dynamic shapes , trims and a good variety of textures. The ambient in general is also very involving with a good selection of ambient sounds, The story is interesting and the gameplay is also very enjoyable . I will replay this one in "Expert" mode as i know there are some areas that i haven't explored totally.

Thank you so much for this sweet experience and i hope you┤ll create more missions!

Heh, I can't believe how many times I walked past that switch, sheesh. Now to find that other pesky key.

Korthak: Thank you for this very good and fun mission!! Just the right amount of exploring from above and below.
    Great job!!
    pwl

puts on my t-shirt that says "i survived a night in old quarter"

Can't believe I missed not one, but two switches. All done now - a thoroughly enjoyable mission!

Congrats to your "2nd" hoffe Du bist nicht sauer auf mich, weil ich keine Zeit zum Gegenlesen und ▄bersetzen hatte?
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

This is a phenomenal mission. It is very reminiscent of Shadow Politics, jacked up on NewDark steroids. The archive size is deceptive, as it took me nearly two hours in-game time to finish. Yet, there is no filler or busy-work. It rewards you for exploring every nook and cranny, and flows unbelievably well. In this sense, it is like Disorientation -- the player can be in a comfy residence one minute, and a dingy sewer the next, without any jarring transition. It even manages to make fun and appropriate use of zombies, without butchering stealth gameplay in the process.

The brushwork wears its Melan/skacky influence very openly on its sleeve, but it is not simply derivative or imitative. Rather, it successfully captures an established visual style. Anyone can copy vaulted arches and giant narrow towers, but it takes real talent to make non-linear gameplay that is well paced throughout a giant map full of beautiful and creepy architecture. The various homes and locations are highly interconnected, such that the player can happily cross from one side of the map to the other without having to spend much or any time on the streets.

The story is told environmentally and in the background. The many readables are realistic, never too long and written with various types of authorial voice and literacy, providing a real sense of life. The tiny details are engaging, and occasionally heartbreaking. Conversations are used sparingly, as is Garrett's dialogue.

It is a very faithful and polished encapsulation of the Thief Gold spirit. Had it been submitted for the TDP20AC, I may well have given it my third 30/30 score. Its urban and ruined environments are not as detailed as Rose Garden or Lost Among The Forsaken, but it lacks all of their (highly subjective) gameplay and story defects. With two excellent FMs, apparently made concurrently and released in the span of two months, Korthak will be a difficult act for any author to follow.

I beat this mission twice and I must say that it has some unique ideas. This mission is on the easy side. There is good map and climbing is reduced to going into houses, robbing them and returning down. Which is good for me, because I'm not gonna get lost. Some areas like Sealed Section outside area felt short. Some - empty. For example: street in front of Old House isn't guarded at all. Also sewers are empty. After first thief I thought that in the sewers I will find thieves hideout. I was a bit disappointed when it happened to be nothing there.

There were also secret levers involved and while I needed only few minutes to find them, I have mixed feelings about them. Guards were really blind, even standing near them in medium light didn't second alert them. And they were really easy to KO. The only really nice areas were Westbury Manor and really unique patrols in Ashford Crypt.

I liked that you gave me crates. Most creators prevents player from grabbing them. This way I could climb into higher places on the streets and notice no reward. At least in Sealed Section there was a little something. One more thing. In basement of Westbury Manor, in storage rooms - if you mantle on big boxes, you will get stuck on ceiling. Game doesn't allow Garrett to crouch in order to free him. In that case you need to prey to squeeze out of there or load previous save. That's it for my first playthrough.

In the second playthrough I decided to Supreme Ghost this mission. This let me notice 2 really unique things about this mission:

1. Even though guards are blind for second and third alerts, they are really sensitive for first alerts. In other words - they have large range of view. Yes, they can first alert to you even if you are far away. This means that player must be extra careful. All guards are troublesome, but the most trouble gave me stationary guards with their crazy range of view.

2. Patrol routes aren't made only in straight line. Guards often turns, which threw me a lot in this mission. One guards also at some point started walk in zigzag pattern. That's something that I never saw being used in any FM.

Both of this add a lot of challenge into this easy mission. And, well, pretty late, but congratulations on a release of your second mission, Korthak.

Gorgeous mission worth of many plays :) Beautiful crafted city parts, mansions and sewers.
    Almost 3h 45min of ghosting without any kill or blackjack. Found 2280; 105; 1905. The '22 wine - at the beginning I was so sure it is some quest item for other purpose, but it's olny for the bonus objective...

There is a few issues like bad texture rotations:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rsxaqgskym2t24/altx.png

also similar problem with rotated wooden texture in sewers or the main altar in the Hammerite's Cathedral sounds like wood instead of metal. I see DirkBogan has already wrote about some other issues on SouthQuater's thread, so check up - it's pointless to repeat here :) But these are just tiny issues (easy to repair) without affecting the overall grade. Fabulous mission!

Uhh that ghost servant girl is tough. Haunts have no chance with her :D
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sq4ro9qaieu0i38/girl1.png
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2j4oplxjnpernq/girl2.png

I presume she earlier dealt with the zombies to fund her private head collection.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ih5wt1es0kgxxtf/heads.png

It's a pity at least 5 or 6 balconies in the city are empty without such funny/strange/mysterious "relish". Even single rotten apple would be good reward ;) but better empty instead of being completely restricted by invisible fences or something. Now probably the whole forum is waiting very impatiently for Your T2-20th mission :)
    Last edited by Mat99; 11th Jul 2019 at 14:01.

I have the sun key and the moon key, but neither of the work in the two obvious locks near the treasure room in the tomb. What am I missing?

Very nice, relaxing (straightforward) city mission with some extra juicy atmospherics!

Highly appreciated - thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    I have the sun key and the moon key, but neither of the work in the two obvious locks near the treasure room in the tomb. What am I missing?
    This mission makes use of the script file miss16.osm, make sure you have it in the root directory of your Thief Gold installation.

The file miss16.osm is not there. Where do I get it?

Dˇttirin klŠ­ist oft mˇ­ur m÷ttli
    miss16.osm is TG only.
    I recommend to upload or include it in the zip.

Weird, it should come with the game installation. Try to re-install the game or install TFix 1.27 in your Thief Gold root directory, that should add the file as well.

I have separate discs for T1 (Sold Out) and TG (Premier Collection), but (ignoring T2) I only have a single directory for T1/TG. I seem to recall years ago that someone on this forum made a patch for T1 so it could work with TG FMs. I installed it.

Since then I think I have used Tafferpatch to keep T1/TG updated.

Anyway, I have run just TFix 1.27 on that Thief directory, and miss16.osm is still not there.

Dˇttirin klŠ­ist oft mˇ­ur m÷ttli
    Open Tfix.exe with 7z or whatever you are using and copy miss16.osm into the root folder.

That worked, thanks.

Where can I find the moon key?

Never mind saw hammerite post.

i have a great problem playing this fm.

most of the streets buildings and so on are black and i cannot see any persons.

it doesn't matter if i'm playing thief with 2 fm selector 1.25 or darkloader 4.3

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast