TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TTLG memorials

SShock2.com

TTLG memorials

This is about old TTLG'ers that have sadly passed away. At the moment, I can only think of two, MsLedd and fluke (andsoot), but I'm sure there are others. Do you, collectively, think it's a good idea to create some memorial page for them? I'm not thinking eulogies, that's more for their families, just a list of names (logins, not real names). I'm sure there are more people that I forgot, but please remind me.

Good idea, or terrible? Discuss.
    Boing. Peng. Boom-Tschak. Peng.

System Shock 2 Walkthrough

Lady Rowena. I don't see why not. Maybe also a link to a farewell thread, if there is one.
    Last edited by Starker; 18th Jul 2019 at 03:53.

Wasn't there another person who passed away a few years ago? I recall the daughter of a user posting about him enjoying the site etc. Can't recall the username.

Zaccheus, a Thief FM author

Southquarter.com/fms
    theBlackman passed away last year.

SShock2.com

I didn't mean this thread itself, maybe a permanent page link on the login page, but I suppose, this thread can work as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Maybe also a link to a farewell thread, if there is one.
    Good idea, I didn't think of that. I seem to recall fluke's daughter posted something after his passing, I'll see if I can find it. I certainly remember posting in MsLedd's thread.

El Shagmeister
    I approve of this idea.

Admins?

Still Subjective
    These are all so sad. I remember how bummed out I felt after Zacch's passing.

Taking the Death Toll
    Better than a farewell thread, how about a special memorial page somewhere on the main site?

On Doomworld whenever a Doom community member passes away they are memorialized at the end of the year with a special section in the Cacowards (a showcase of the year's best maps and mods) titled The Sky May Be. It's not the same thing as I'm suggesting but it's some kind of semi-permanent, non-forum-thread acknowledgment of absent friends.

(If you're wondering, The Sky May Be is the title of an infamous surrealist map; it's not in itself very good but the title was deemed poignant enough to borrow for the purpose.)

I second the above.

I second june gloom's idea also.

As Gray said, this thread is itself not meant as a memorial page -- rather it is for discussing the creation of a memorial page. Also, it can serve as a place where we can post usernames and farewell threads to eventually add to the memorial page.

Still Subjective
    I second (forth?) june's ideas, but I made the same suggestion some years ago and was shot down, with prejudice.

One person I would very much like to mention here is Andrew Dagilis. While I do not think he was particularly, or at all come to think of it, he was one of the FM reviewers at CoSaS - and a damn good one too, way more productive and methodical than e.g. me.

As for a memorial page... To be honest, I don't know. On the one hand, it would be a nice gesture. On the other, even though I owe both my livelihood and much of what passes for social life for me to it, I still cannot bring myself to treat the Internet seriously.

SShock2.com

June is kind of saying what I meant to, but expressed more eloquently, so I support that idea.

Just saw that it's Dusty's birthday today, and it felt appropriate to give him a proper nod. I liked every interaction I ever had with him here, and there were a lot over the years. I loved how oddly but in the end how oddly well he fit in here with the rest of us enthusiasts. I loved his stories. Was just looking at his facebook page and he has something like 30 hometowns listed all over the world. I loved how into he was in to the things he was into, and how much he liked to share them with us. But also how chilled out he was. He just took life as it came and was pleased with it. He loved life so much he couldn't wait to spend the next 80 years soaking it up like the last 80. Here's to you, old friend.
    What do you see when you turn out the lights? / I can't tell you, but I know that it's mine. (J. Lennon)

Thank you for the reminder, dema. He was definitely one of a very special kind.

Happy Birthday, Dusty.

I never used to post that much on ttlg but some years ago I was here Every. Single. Day.

Last night I signed in for the first time in years to see what was going on and stumbled on this thread (and others) after learning that Lady Rowena had passed over. I paused for thought after that. She and all the familiar names above are a real loss to the world. A memorial page would be appropriate and a stark reminder that people here are real and are missed.

Even though I'm not religious I just like to think that somewhere, sometime in an alternative universe there's a version of them all drinking in a tavern in Dayport telling dark and funny stories.

Everytime I get back to Thief, the first thing I think is how great the game is.

...And just how dark it is, even outside the game.

This is the only game franchise where I don't know people yet wish I did, for they made such amazing FMs (Lady Rowena) that deeply inspired me more so than any other game, sometimes even the campaign itself (Again, Lady Rowena's).

It always saddens me that the person who made the FM that inspired me to play more FMs died. I was very strict about never playing anything third-party, fan missions and mods, especially on older games.

I remain undecisive here; on one end, remembering them may be good. On another, why bring back pain to us? More importantly, why bother the death's rest? Let them lay in peace already, be reminded of the great things that they did, not the fact they're dead.

I want everything related to Thief to be related to Thief. Everybody dies. Thief is a great game, not a dark game where some good people sadly died for it.

SShock2.com

It's not about bringing pain, it's about remembering people who were important to us. It's very easy to forget as you get on with your life. That's fine. Maybe you want to forget. I like to remember my old friends. I want to remember all the stupid arguments we had, how they were wrong, or I was wrong, and all the things that built our friendship. Some of these people built TTLG to what it is today.

But I see your point. If you had a friend who passed away, you might feel the pain and loss and not want to think about that. My thinking is the opposite. I want to remember. Not obsessively cling on to the people we lost, but acknowledge that they were here and made our lives better. And then let go. That is my point.

In that respect, they are never truly gone as they live on your memories of them.

Oh man. This thread hits hard. I remember all of these folks and having conversations with some of them, especially Dusty. Sad that they're gone.

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by Purgator View Post
    Happy Birthday, Dusty.
    I remember that video. I'm using it now again to try to relearn how to play my stepson's ukulele. I still suck at it, but it's a very good, clear, instructive video. I miss him. Given how many covers there are of that song, this is probably my favourite, just after Cohen's original. I can't take all the overblown ones, it's too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast