TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM - Compulsory Egress [20 July 2019]

This mission stands up very nicely to some of the best missions I've played! I'm starting over again tomorrow while it's fresh in my mind. You're very modest but don't downplay what you've created here. It's a truly outstanding first mission and I hope you decide to build another one for us.

Yes in Captain Recardo's office there is a single spotlight, and there are others in the same building. I'll post a short video tomorrow.

Thoroughly excellent mission. Doesn't try to wow the player with much flashy stuff, just is subtly awesome. Immersion levels were fantastic. I enjoyed this level almost as much as I enjoyed Thieves' Highway. I would have liked more starting equipment, and I have never understood the whole no kill on expert thing. It's never improved the gameplay for me. Is there an easy way to turn that off and still play expert?

Thanks for your comments Cataphract!

It might be possible for me to write a .dml script that removes the no-kill objective for Hard and/or Expert. I'll look into it. Otherwise, you might just want to play on Normal -- it has more starting equipment than Expert, and more placed throughout the mission. You aren't missing any objectives or gameplay. The only real difference is that you'll have more health/take less fall damage on Normal. Perhaps I should have also removed the No-Kill objective on Hard, but considering there are no innocents/civilians, there wasn't as a clear a difficulty gradient for killing as there is in other missions

pukey brunster had an excellent thread about No-Kill objectives a few months ago, with some good discussion: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149816 I think a lot of people agree with you!

Wagging spot lights

Ok I uploaded a very short avi of the spot lights wagging their brackets.

If you look at object -468 ElecWallLight you should see that it has the Joints properties added.

@john9818a, I don't know what to tell you. It's not happening on my system, none of my beta-testers reported it, and it hasn't happened for anyone else as far as I've seen: https://youtu.be/8AQyFPGfx9k?t=26m9s

I did see that the ElecWallLight archetype had that property, but nothing I did to tweak it made it move at all. I may well remove it in future just in case.

Ok thanks DirkBogen. It didn't really bother me though, but with the joints turned off, you can add a joint position to the spot light to make the bracket stay at any angle relative to the lamp head.

To address Nightwalker's request: I have started two missions since. One is a Thief 2 bank mission, but it's only a few rooms and I haven't touched it for weeks. The other is a Thief Gold mission, and I really don't know what it will be:

Please note that it's super work-in-progress, so lots of details are missing and nothing is final

Terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBogan View Post
    To address Nightwalker's request: I have started two missions since. One is a Thief 2 bank mission, but it's only a few rooms and I haven't touched it for weeks. The other is a Thief Gold mission, and I really don't know what it will be:

Please note that it's super work-in-progress, so lots of details are missing and nothing is final
    are either of these for the contest? I don't need more competition

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    are either of these for the contest? I don't need more competition
    I'm not intending to submit anything for the contest; I'd have spent this whole time working solely on a submission, and Compulsory Egress wouldn't have been made. If things go well, I might have something new out right before the contest. That was part of my rationale for releasing a mission this year -- lack of competition, under the assumption that the real titans would be working on their contest submissions. Wasn't expecting Korthak to release two excellent missions in two months!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    I've just finished this and it is SO much fun! I'm short almost 3000 g. so I've probably missed a lot but that's a good reason to go back and play it again. There are so many nooks and crannies to explore and neat ways to get into areas which I love. Top notch! Thanks so much!
    I'm at the same point as you Linda but I'm going to keep looking for the rest of the loot.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBogan View Post
    It might be possible for me to write a .dml script that removes the no-kill objective for Hard and/or Expert. I'll look into it. Otherwise, you might just want to play on Normal.
    Can't do it. I have a borderline obsessive dedication to playing everything on expert. As much as I would have liked killing mechanists in T2, I had to play on expert, and couldn't find mod to change that. It's not that I want to kill everyone, I just would like to play it like Hitman. If I run into someone who I think really needs to die, like Captain Ricardo, I do it. But I can't imagine Garrett ever whacking normal guards for a myriad of reasons, so I don't do it. It also doesn't make sense for Garrett to be a pacifist, sworn to never kill. Hell, doesn't it show him killing a guard in one of the trailers? It's all about immersion for me. If I find an FM where the protagonist is a murderous vampire or something then yeah, I'll go on a rampage. Otherwise I don't need that restriction because I'm not going to go around slaughtering people anyway.

There is a gate with a scroll that reads Closed on account of the crisis. How do I get inside this gate?

Edit: I figured it out.
    Last edited by john9818a; 22nd Aug 2019 at 15:07. Reason: Figured out solution

Where is the shop with the Beckersīs Delivery Key ? I donīt find these shop and have 8696 Loot.
    Greetings from Brazil !

@carlos schmidt, check inside the 'oven' in the Bakery. Perhaps the Baker has a reason to hide his key well

I'm about 600 short of max loot and I've been in and out of every building I could find. Can I please get a hint on where to find some of the really hard-to-find loot?

@john9818a, it's almost impossible for me to know where you've been and what you've done. If you can, make a quicksave and upload it somewhere (Google Drive etc.), and PM me the link. I'll give you hints for all the remaining loot I find in DromEd.

It is all achievable. Marbleman has it down to 25 minutes with %100 loot and no KOs.

@DirkBogan I figured that would be the case. I was hoping there was an Easter egg somewhere. I might post a quicksave later today or I can just load the quicksave in dromed and at least get general directions.

OK I finally found all of the loot! It took me only 19 hours to find everything.

Oh dear John, that sounds intolerable -- the Expert loot goal is only 6000 for a reason!

I certainly didn't mean for any loot to be impossible to find; was there anything you thought was totally unfair? If so, I'd like to avoid that in future.

Thanks again for playing!

No nothing was unfair, but a lot of that time was me running back and forth, and maybe falling asleep once during the game. I also played over several days. I didn't have any problem reaching the loot goal though. Even though I think this map was done well, for me it becomes a challenge when trying to navigate when the terrain is confusing... meaning if I wanted to go to a certain place I had a really hard time trying to figure out how to get there. Every time I went to the city hall I ended up visiting every room until I found what I was looking for.

I just wanted to say, that I'm after completing this mission. Oh, man - what an experience! I love exploration and this city maze was... a-mazing!
    My favourite location was Grand Old Hall House and the courtyard at the roof level with an old tree. I like the way you didn't care about being realistic with the architecture (without going too much on the surrealistic side), but you made it interesting from the gameplay point of view. Something that got kinda killed in the modern games, which fall into this realism trap. I also like how every interior was so well thought out and had some unique setup, with a subtle humour. And overall - you have put so much effort and heart into this mission - impressive work!

Thanks for your comments PinkDot!

Making the gameplay enjoyable throughout was definitely an overriding priority. As it compares to modern game-design attitudes, I think LGS deserves all the credit for that -- I'm simply piggybacking off their excellent groundwork. My main contribution was avoiding elements I find tedious or unnecessary in OMs/FMs.

The courtyard at roof level is a popular location (I know that it's Squadafroin's favourite place); I think this is unsurprising, given that it was one of the last places I made. It lacks many symptoms of inexperience that secretly plague lots of the brushwork elsewhere.

Whatever polish this mission has is the result of brute force. Including beta-testing, it took ~1300 hours; so long that the DromEd timer looped back after 49 real days. Meanwhile, marbleman has confirmed that Cracks In The Glass was made in ~293 hours: slightly over 12 days, and certainly no less polished. Judging by how much time I've already spent making the next mission, and how far from complete it is, seems like that experience hasn't made me any more efficient!

Thanks again for playing!

Apologies guys,

Can't get this to work with NewDarkLoader. Does it work with this? If so, how do I do it.
    Thanks.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast