TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Homeworld 3

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Homeworld 3

Gearbox are e-begging for Homeworld 3 shekels.
    https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3

I loved Homeworld, but I'm gonna pass on crowdfunding this. Piss off Randy.

I really enjoyed Deserts of Kharak, and intend to go back and play the first 2 games at some point. So I'd be happy to chip in a bit to make this happen. This would also be a sure thing on the investing side. More so than Wasteland.

Games a bit on the pricey side, compared to most in crowdfunded games though I'll note. Usually their $25-40. $50 for base level on this one. Dayam.

Chakat sex pillow
    Homeworld's pretty much #1 on my notional list of best games ever made in all of eternity, but yeah, I'm not giving Randy my money on something that doesn't exist yet.

This entire crowdfunding thing tells me that Gearbox aren't confident enough in its chances of success, and frankly, it rankles me. Fuck off, Randy.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 31st Aug 2019 at 00:42.

Homeworld has a great formula so they couldn't go wrong just sticking with it.
    I mean it's a low bar the have to cross to make it work I think.

I don't ever go in for crowdfunding, so I'm indifferent to that. And $50 would be too much for this game, but if it's on sale for half that within a year or two of release, and it does the game right, I could see getting it. The original was some kind of special for sure. I remember the first time seeing it opening on a friend's computer and I think that was my first real jaw drop moment for a game.

I remember paying 100 guilders for the original. Still got the big box. The ROI projections are pretty grim here. The crowdfunding thing really seems bogus when they're explicitly saying production of the game doesn't depend on it, and that they'd have to sell half a million at full price to break even for investors. That's just not happening these days. I guess it's just a big preorder avenue with the option of giving more money.

I truly do hope HW3 turns out excellent though, and getting some of the guys who worked on 1 on it gives me good hope.

Chakat sex pillow
    All right, Jesh and I just relooked at the numbers on that campaign, and investing in this sounds like a really bad idea.

The chart on the investment page with the break even point of ~560,317 units at 59.99 USD assumes the Fig campaign hits 10 million USD in funding. As much as I love Homeworld, HW3 isn't going to raise that for a multitude of reasons (most of them: Randy Pitchford, the rest have to do with this not filling in a Star Citizen-sized niche), so this is a phenomenally bad deal for anyone planning to tuck a wad of Benjys down Randy's thong.

Unless that's what does it for you, in which case snap away at that waistband, cochise.

The $1 goal has put me a bit uneasy. There's no stretch goals either. So why come to us? Might cancel my pledge. The entire point of KS / crowdfunding is to help make a game happen. If its already going to happen then whats the point besides getting everyone to pay full price (rather than getting it discounted later).

The point is to get a bunch of people preorder the game and to reap some cheap marketing/engagement in the process. And it's a good opportunity to sell 150$ digital "collector's editions" and 1000$ art prints.

Not really surprising, considering who the publisher is. But at least, unlike Sony with Shenmue, they are being transparent that the game is already funded.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    So why come to us?
    Fig is advertised as an investment platform, where if you pitch in and the game is successful you can potentially see some return. In practice, it's just another kickstarting platform, because the game has to be wildly successful for any of the investors to see anything from it.

For context, it's also run primarily by Tim Schafer, who helped start it after the Kickstarter debacle that was Broken Age. Having essentially an in-house crowdfunding platform frees the developers from any sort of accountability short of class-action lawsuit.

I'm a huge fan of Homeworld, but Fig + Randy Pitchford + 'it's totally already funded, please donate anyways' is a hard pass from me.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    For context, it's also run primarily by Tim Schafer, who helped start it after the Kickstarter debacle that was Broken Age. Having essentially an in-house crowdfunding platform frees the developers from any sort of accountability short of class-action lawsuit.
    So, exactly like Kickstarter, then.

Judith
    Which is even more ironic, as historically Schafer was first who spoiled the idea of KickStarter and crowdfunding for games.

Yes, it was thanks to Schafer people got to understand very early on that Kickstarter or crowdfunding doesn't magically make every problem with game development go away. Also, contrary to what Catbarf claims, it looks like he's not involved in the day-to-day running of the platform, but simply serves on the advisory board along with Brian Fargo, Alex Rigopulos, Feargus Urquhart and others.

I say that some of their reasons for going elsewhere to setup their own system were a bit dodgy.

KS - Target goal - If goal not reached, no money taken from potential backers
    FIG - Target goal - If goal not reached, money taken anyway

Um, that's not how it works. I backed The Good Life which failed to meet its goal on Fig and at no point was any money taken from me. You might be confusing it with Indiegogo.

Here, from Fig webpage:

Funding on Fig is all or nothing, so cards are only charged if a campaign meets or exceeds its goal. If a campaign is successful, your card will be charged at the end of the campaign, and you will receive a confirmation email from Fig.
    Last edited by Starker; 6th Sep 2019 at 15:11.

Fair enough. Yeah must be confusing the 2.

Having a campaign goal of exactly one dollar would seem to sidestep that anyways, in this particular case.

Chakat sex pillow
    FIVE YEARS LATER, this game is now about to be released. The word is that it's not particularly earthshaking, but it's a good time nonetheless. I'm slightly soured by the fact that the story isn't too hot, but that didn't stop me from finishing Homeworld 2 anyway. Also, its bigger battles will have many of the latest CPUs buckle under 60 FPS - so, basically, it's Homeworld.

I expect it to be buggy, fiddly, and a pain because of the various interface changes BBI have made, but I also expect the missions to be interesting and the visuals to be wonderful.

I've gotten it. I will play it.

Someday, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    FIVE YEARS LATER, this game is now about to be released. The word is that it's not particularly earthshaking, but it's a good time nonetheless. I'm slightly soured by the fact that the story isn't too hot, but that didn't stop me from finishing Homeworld 2 anyway. Also, its bigger battles will have many of the latest CPUs buckle under 60 FPS - so, basically, it's Homeworld.
    What I've heard from people playing is that the story is the worst in the series by far, but the gameplay is solid.

Chakat sex pillow
    Considering Homeworld 2's story was fairly mediocre but at least served its purpose, that's a pretty big achievement. I wasn't expecting it to reach Homeworld 1's level of excellence, but oh well, that's cementing my pre-emptive expectation lowering on that front.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Homeworld 3 is reportedly loaded with scripted cutscenes which rob the player of control. The campaign is reportedly only 6-7 hours. All of the planned DLC is only for the co-op mode. Oh yeah and it has Denuvo too. GG Gearbox!

Chakat sex pillow
    There's definitely a tendency to just slot in a cut scene with narrative stuff while you're in the middle of a mission which, once in a while is okay, but it has to be at least as immediate as the mission you're executing currently - this is something HW1 and 2 did on occasion, but they did it well, mostly. HW3's cut scenes come in at odd junctures, and this is exacerbated by the tonal mismatch between the personal stakes of the story and the scale of what Homeworld usually is about, which is the trials and tribulations of an entire people. It's bemusing to me, but the game itself isn't half bad so far.