TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disco Elysium

Disco Elysium has broken me for other RPGs, it seems. It has a wonderful world, great writing, actual themes, it doesn't feel like a sourcebook as opposed to a story. Also, there's no standard RPG combat, something that I've rarely enjoyed particularly. God, I love this game.

Yeah, who knew so much could be done with skill checks alone?

I barely survived death by uncomfy chair, only to die from gun anxiety. I thought I was stuck for a moment, but further exploration of the docks area yielded an extra motivation-boosting item. Later, I opted out of the "become an immense racist" dialogue option, only for my Rhetoric skill to pop up and demand that I start the next Communist Revolution. I said no, but it does make me wonder, does the game actually have a well-developed story branch for such a niche option?

Damn. I should've bought this when it was on sale. I want to start a communist revolution. What platform is everyone playing it on? I've heard the Switch version is clunky and crashes a lot, but I've heard the same about PS5. Probably won't get it on PC since I'd rather have either portability of the Switch or better graphics of the Playstation.

I’d be surprised if the graphics were very different on PS5 compared to PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    I said no, but it does make me wonder, does the game actually have a well-developed story branch for such a niche option?
    If you follow one of these tracks then it can enable special events to trigger, and sometimes the dialog will be a little different. Like I became a capitalist, so there was a better chance of finding loose change and Egg Head called me Tycoon. So it's not like an entire story branch, just some nice window dressing like that.

But sometimes they can be tied up with the story, too; like the art related objectives being connected with trying to be the world's best art critic. It has rules, but in the end the game does what it wants, so it can play with the rules and bend them; and it's usually interesting, so easy to roll with it.

Speaking of which, I just accepted my Conceptualization skill's demand that I become an art critic. Cool to hear that'll bear fruit. I can see myself doing additional playthroughs in the future that embrace one ideology, or maybe an Apocalypse Cop game, but for this first go I'm not choosing a side. Edit: Okay, I said that, but then my Empathy skill started espousing Radical Incrementalism, and I ate it right up. I am a silly person.

Aja: it looks gorgeous on my Linux rig with its six-year-old graphics card. It's a rare indie game that really benefits from current hardware.

As for my progress... some of my skills have become high enough to be antagonistic, like a Logic skill that damaged me (to my shock) when I got wistful about a ruined building. I've found a Mug of Racism that gives special dialogue options with racists, and my Damaged Ledger transformed into a Ledger of Shame and Failure after yet another breakdown. I keep it equipped most times, because of the Empathy bonus. The first two power-brokers I spoke with ran circles around me, but then the lynch mob showed up in my hotel lobby, and started spilling vital info from the mere fact I already had an accurate headcount, so... yay me?

I'm currently fighting the temptation to add to my collection of situational sunglasses.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 21st Jan 2022 at 03:29.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    If you follow one of these tracks then it can enable special events to trigger, and sometimes the dialog will be a little different. Like I became a capitalist, so there was a better chance of finding loose change and Egg Head called me Tycoon. So it's not like an entire story branch, just some nice window dressing like that.
    I believe that in the Final Cut there's a bespoke quest for each of the broad ideological leanings. It's not massive, but neither is it just a five-minute thing, and I really liked the one I got.

I feel like the authors' viewpoint is some kind of alienated Marxism, but the game makes a good job of making all three of communism, capitalism and centrism look appealing. The authors understand why people would, on both an emotional and a philosophical level, be drawn to those options. I also appreciate that it doesn't hesitate to call the fourth, reactionary option "fascism."

I am really surprised by how difficult I find the quandary of whether or not to help the union boss, particularly now that the stakes have been raised. It's intimidation and corruption, but it's also so minor that not doing the task makes me feel like I value moral purity above actual people's lives.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 21st Jan 2022 at 23:10.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12