TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The sadly neglected games

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    Do you click 1-2 times per second playing Minesweeper? That's how brutal combat can sometimes be on your mouse/hand in Diablo 1.
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that my times are below 60 seconds for expert. But I think for Diablo maybe there's some kind of a macro I could set up to ease the pain.

Chakat sex pillow
    Since Halloween's coming up, now's not a bad time to give Detention a try, henke. It's also fairly short (~5-6 hours). I'd also tell people to play Devotion, but y'know, Winnie the Pooh sort of fucked it into a hole in the ground and so no one can buy it now.

Games I have neglected:

Most of them?

Yeah. Backlogging sucks. If there's a game I regret not having played properly yet, though, it's FO:NV.

I'm playing The Outer Worlds now, and it's smart and engaging comfort food where the contrast between it and a random Bethesda game RPG really shows what both studios are good at: Bethesda does great landscapes and painfully tedious popcorn narratives/characters; Obsidian does okay game worlds with dense worldbuilding and real attention to detail in the writing while remaining snappy and fun. The sheer ability to kill anyone and everyone in The Outer Worlds, or to choose a multitude of approaches depending on the kind of character you've built, those two things alone show how much thought went into player choice; heck, if you've got points in medical or engineering, you can even be pedantic with people you talk to, and the game takes the time to answer your pedantry. Having said that, it is still a fairly blunt takedown on capitalism and has lots and lots of jokes about the nature of commoditised living when taken to its logical extreme. Some of those jokes are as dark as they should be. But also, in engaging with these concepts in as gonzo and anarchic a manner as it does, it's more of a flippant comedy and less of a social comment, and thus is kind of disposable in many of the ways a Skyrim is.

FO:NV, on the other hand, seems to actively challenge preconceptions, which means it's immediately a smarter game and more worthy of my time. It's just also kind of painful to play, because a hot and unwelcoming desert is, unsurprisingly, not very fun to trudge around in. (Also that walk speed: ai yi yi![or if Duck's reading this: ay ay ay!]). And that's actually part of the reason why I've neglected some really good games, because they're a bit difficult to engage with (RE7, RE2make, Return of the Obra Dinn, anything else starting with R I guess?).

Also I tend to put some really good experiences on the back-burner for 'when I have time': Dishonored 2, Prey, Hitman 2, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Subnautica, Deus Ex:M... hrm. Most of those seem to be either immersive sims or post-genre, huh. I wonder what that means. I need to think about this some more.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 27th Oct 2019 at 06:48.

LittleFlower
    I played and finished The Witcher 3 in the summer of 2015. I played some GTA V in 2014 and 2015. Since then I have hardly played any games. Partially because I got a new job in 2015. Partially because games seem to interest me less. Few games can capture my attention for longer periods of time these days.

End of 2015 I played and finished Darksiders 2 (simple game). Early 2016 I played and finished The Witness (short game). In August 2016 I played a bit of No Man's Sky. End of 2018 I played and finished Ashen. That's basically it, for the last 5 years. I've tried and started to play a few more games, but I just couldn't be bothered to continue playing them.

The big exception of course is Dark Souls. Since 2016 I played all 3 versions, multiple times. Got all achievements in all 3 games. I even did a SL1 run in DS3 (beating Pontiff, Aldritch, the Dancer, Oceiros, Gundryr and even DSarmor. Stuck at Twins, Nameless King, Friede). Whenever I felt the need to play a game, I would just play a bit of DS for a few days (or longer), and then take a long break again. No other games seem to be able to interest me atm.

So who are the victims ?
    I really want to play and finish GTAV. I made a fresh start a week ago. I never got past 35% of the story before. Driving cars was just too painful. Now I have a gamepad and driving is much easier. But shooting and aiming is a pain (auto-aim does not always seem to work). So I plan to do a run this winter combining gamepad and trackball/joystick. GTAV is really good, I know that. I just require some determination, I guess.

After I finish GTAV, I plan on playing RDR2. On PC. Maybe with a controller, on my TV, laying on my couch.

I need to finish the expansions of The Witcher 3. I enjoyed all 3 Witcher games. But there's something about TW3 that does not invite to play. I need to overcome that.

I have finished and enjoyed Dishonored, many years ago. But I haven't finished the expansions. I started Dishonored 2 when it was released, but I never got past 35% or so of the game. They are good games, again, I need to play and finish them.

There are a few other games I tried, and maybe should try again. Draugen, GhostTale, Journey, the latest Metro, Observer, The Sinking City, and Firewatch are all waiting. I haven't played The Dark Mod yet, and I bet it is worth playing. I got Demon Souls running, but choppy, in RPCS3. Not sure if I should play that (I truly suck with a controller, and I'm not sure I will ever improve).
    But the real neglected games for me are: GTAV, TW3 and Dishonored2. I'm ashamed.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 27th Oct 2019 at 20:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I'd also tell people to play Devotion, but y'know, Winnie the Pooh sort of fucked it into a hole in the ground and so no one can buy it now.
    Yeah, screw that bear. I'm still pissed about it. I had no chance buy the game in the 7 days it was available, but I'm ready in case it comes back eventually. It's one of only a few horror titles able to fill some of that massive void left since Silent Hill took a nosedive.

Prey is at the top of my list. I need to play that game.

Also, I purchased X-Plane 11 a little while ago and I've hardly played it yet.

I also want to try Mass Effect: Andromeda

Going back further:
    Portal
    GTA V (I haven't played any GTA game)
    STALKER: Call of Pripyat

And lots more

If your only going to play one GTA then GTA San Andreas is the one to play.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Prey is at the top of my list. I need to play that game.
    You really do; itís incredibly good.

In my case Iíve been trying to get into the Witcher 3 for over a year, and I can never seem to. I think part of it is that I never played the first two, so the story doesnít resonate, but Iím pretty sure that if I stuck it out, Iíd get hooked. Someday.

Iíve also been intending to play Doom 2016 for a long time and have barely got more than an hour in even though I enjoyed it. Someday.

I constantly feel that I'm neglecting Hitman (2016). I think it's a brilliant game, and for me it's by far the best incarnation of the Hitman franchise. The locations and missions are great, the sly, deadpan sense of humour is brilliant, it offers a wide range of options with respect to how much you want your hand held (or whether you want it held at all), which strikes me as a great way of making the game approachable without sacrificing its complexity.

And yet, I cannot get myself to stick with it. When I play it, I enjoy it a lot, but I keep moving on to other games, even ones that I would very much consider inferior (though still fun). Perhaps Hitman is the Single Malt of games: I love a good Single Malt, but I only have a dram once a month or so.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I'm in the same place with Hitman. It's obviously a very good game, but it never really hooked me.

heywood, Portal is one of the best games ever made and only like 3-4 hours long. You can sit down and finish it in a weekend, or even an evening!

Prey is great. The start alone already makes it a classic, and it settles into great gameplay in our kind of tradition like a familiar & warm glove. I keep cutting off my play of it because other games keep jumping in, well Kingdom Come which is my game of the year. But that's more a testament of how good Prey is that I let it jump in and take Kingdom Come's place for a while before dutifully getting back to it. (Now I'm starting to fear KC finishing and losing that world. But at least I'll be turning to finish of Prey when I get there.)

my advice is dont finish Kingdom Come, you will be sorely disappointed, I just completed it and well the ending isnt great compared to what came before. Prey is amazing I bought it on sale not expecting to enjoy it that much but ended up playing it exclusively until the end, brilliant stuff.
    Keep in mind i have almost 160 hours in KCD so pretty much done everything, and I still didnt want the game to end, its such an immersive livable world.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Your missing nothing from having not played EYE.
    Missed this from a week ago. What's the beef with EYE? I've heard it's unconventional, but I figured that might be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Missed this from a week ago. What's the beef with EYE? I've heard it's unconventional, but I figured that might be a good thing.
    For me, E.Y.E. took the worst parts of early FPS games and smacked an uncompelling narrative and obtuse mechanics on top of the mess.

The only reason why I haven't started Prey is that I know that I'll probably spend 40 hours in it. I don't want to start it until I know I'll have enough free time to finish it within a month or so. I hate it when I start a really good game and then have to set it on the shelf for weeks because of other life priorities.

I don't have any excuse for Portal.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Seconding icemann and WK, E.Y.E. suuuuuuuucked. If there's one game mentioned in this thread that definitely noone should feel compelled to play, it's that one.
    Last edited by henke; 1st Nov 2019 at 02:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Its a mod for Half-life 2 that they had the balls to charge you for. Quality level is quite poor, level design is average. You've missed nothing from having not played it.

So I started with Max Payne 3, like I said, and boy do I regret that I never played this before? It's really good, but I have a feeling that seven years ago when it was released I would have loved it. Some aspects of the game haven't aged that well, the controls for example feel a bit clunky when you compare them to some modern games. MP3 still looks surprisingly good though, and most importantly it feels like a Max Payne game. Gameplay-wise, that is. I'll never get tired of some well-made bullet-time action.

However, it doesn't have the same special charm that the previous two Max Payne games did. Max is still Max, just an old fart now, but still Max enough with his trademark dark humour and everything. Just about everything else feels a bit off though. It's hard to imagine Max Payne in some samba carnival environment or some techno party, but I suppose that that "contrast" is what they've tried to do here. Don't get me wrong, the levels are nicely built and quite well-designed for the non-stop action set pieces, but I dunno, the Rockstar style just doesn't feel right to me. There are long cutscenes every couple of minutes (I miss the old noir-style comics), and then there's basically one action set piece after another, but I gotta admit that they've really let their imagination fly because there's so much variation in the scenes. I'd say that the action often gets too over the top though, even by Max Payne standards, and I also think that the game is a bit too brutal at times - not that I mind that sort of thing usually, it's just yet another thing that doesn't feel right in a Max Payne game.

The core gameplay is where Max Payne 3 excels though, even if it takes a while to get used to the kinda old school controls - just running around feels like a bit of a nostalgia trip. The cover system is a nice addition, as is the "blind fire" ability. One of the new gameplay features that I don't like is the "last chance bullet" - you get one last chance (in slow motion of course) to shoot the guy who's just about to kill you, and in theory it sounds like a cool feature, but it just ruins the flow of the combat, and it often feels like a very cheap way to survive a tough situation. There are no grenades or molotovs or any other special gadgets which is a shame, all the weapons are fairly basic but every one of them feels like a proper gun with some punch in it, unlike the pistol in DOOM that feels like a stupid pew-pew toy. (I've wanted to complain about that for the last 25 years, so excuse me if it feels a bit out of place in here )

Sometimes it's nice to play such a straightforward action game such as Max Payne 3, and it only took around ten hours to finish the game, so it felt like a time well spent. I don't think I'll be playing this one for a second time though - when/if I feel like playing Max Payne again, I think it'll be one of the older games. One last tip for anyone who's planning to play Max Payne 3: play it with the Hard difficulty - it's not that hard, you just can't run around like a headless chicken all the time which makes the game a lot more exciting and more rewarding.

Coming next: Alan Wake. In fact I've even started it already and it's been quite an experience so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    I'd say that the action often gets too over the top though, even by Max Payne standards, and I also think that the game is a bit too brutal at times - not that I mind that sort of thing usually, it's just yet another thing that doesn't feel right in a Max Payne game.
    Yup, and if you add the jumpy camera, all that visual noise, and 24-style split screen, it felt more like some gritty action movie with a wise-cracking protagonist rather than something with the film noir style and tone of the original games.

I hated the excessive use typography in MP3.

That was an exceptionally poor artistic choice. And I didn't care much for stuff like achievements and collectables either. Hey, look at all these slums and abject poverty. And now go collect golden guns and chuckle at the latest punny achievement of having shot enemies in the groin a few hundred times.

Oh, and of course they had to shove in turret sections into the game. Damn, the more I think back on the game the more unpleasant stuff I remember.
    Last edited by Starker; 4th Nov 2019 at 04:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    Some aspects of the game haven't aged that well, the controls for example feel a bit clunky when you compare them to some modern games.
    I played it on release and the controls felt as clunky then as they feel now, I guess it is a signature of Rockstar games?

Chakat sex pillow
    One interesting thing about MP3 and its clunky mechanisms is that at least half of the issues arise from Euphoria, which makes old tricks you took for granted disappear. If you go prone near a balcony, for example, the game will not let you aim through the balustrades because the muzzle of the rifle you're holding won't go through it, so Max will just fold the gun towards his body and not fire. You have to actually back up and ensure that the bounding boxes don't collide.

While impressive, someone forget to tell R* that this is actually a bad thing in video games, because none of our standard input mechanisms allow for fine-grained control to quickly deal with that.

I kinda loved that sort of thing in Trespasser. Sure, in one sense it was clunky as all heck that you could accidentally catch the end of your gun on the ground and have it pulled out of your hand -- but I developed habits to avoid those accidents, which generally prevented this from being annoying -- and what happened *then* was that I felt grounded in a real place in a way that no other game before (and maybe since) had ever managed. What was clunky just became an additional reflection of the physical simulation at work, and that was genuinely cool.

Still Subjective
    MP3 was kind of grim and brutal compared to MP1 and 2, wasn't it? I still enjoyed the contrast between it and the original 2 though - all of it; style, cutscenes, setting, plot. I got it on release too and I didn't find the controls clunky at all. I especially liked the Portuguese, which isn't a common language in film and definitely not games, if you're playing with English language on anyway.

Oh, I thought the theme tune was great too.

Biggest thing missing was the comic book style intermissions. Loved those in the first 2 games.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast