TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The sadly neglected games

The sadly neglected games

I can't be the only one here who has got a bunch of games that I've intended to play for years, but for one reason or another I've never gotten around to playing them. I'm gonna list some of mine, but what are yours? What has made you neglect some game(s) that you feel that you definitely should give a try? Do you think that you'll ever actually get around to it?

Of course it's all up to you what criteria you use to pick your games. The games can be old, ones that have been patiently waiting for their turn in your collection for years, or they can be fairly new and you're just looking forward to playing them, but simply haven't found the time yet. For me, there are a lot of games that look interesting and I'm like "hey I should check this out some time", but then there are those games that absolutely definitely deserve to be given a fair chance some time. I'll start with the latter; a bunch of games that I almost feel guilty about not playing... yet.

-----

OK, here goes! In no particular order...

• Max Payne 3 (2012)
      I absolutely loved the old Max Payne games back in the day, Max Payne 2 might even be my favourite action game. I replayed MP2 not too long ago and it has aged very well (in other words, it's still awesome!), so of course I was always very much looking forward to playing the third game. In fact, I even bought it on DVD years ago while it was still fairly new, but it ran like crap on my old computer, so I never got past the main menu. And then I just kind of forgot about it. But hey! I'm installing Max Payne 3 right now as I'm typing this, so I'll get to play it at last and see how Rockstar has treated good old Max.

• Dark Souls 2 (2014)
      I really enjoyed the first Dark Souls, mostly for its unique atmosphere, so I assume that I would like the sequel too. However, playing through the first game was kind of an exhausting experience, not just because of the often overhyped difficulty level, but the amount of "research" that you had to do to build a half-efficient character and weapons. Of course, GfWL was being a total ass too, but apparently that's no longer a problem. Anyway, I needed to take a little break after finishing DS1... That break has now lasted a couple of years, and I'm still not in the mood for more Dark Souls. Playing Hollow Knight last year might have satisfied that need again for quite some time. I'll get around to it eventually.

• Alan Wake (2010)
      Damn, I didn't realise that Alan Wake is so old already. I know that the game got quite a mixed reception, but Remedy Entertainment have never let me down, so I expect to like this as well. How come I've never played it then, despite of owning it for around five years? Because I'm dumb, that's why. This one might be the next in line for me after Max Payne 3, though! I also just realised that this is the only game on my list that isn't a sequel of some sort.

• Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
      This one annoys me a little, actually. I got the game as a Christmas present around seven years ago, and it already took me a long time to even install it back then. Someone told me that the vanilla game isn't worth playing and that I should definitely check out some mods. So, I did check out some mods, and I kind of wish that I'd never done that. I never figured out what the "essential" mods are as everyone seemed to recommend something different, and there were compatibility issues and everything, so in the end I just couldn't be bothered to play the game at all.

• Half-Life 2 (2004)
      To be honest, I'm not really that interested in playing the game - it's just such an essential part of the history of PC gaming, that I'm curious to see what it's like. I still think that I'll stick to more fun games for now though. On second thought, HL2 doesn't deserve a place on this list, but I'm going to be nice and let it stay here anyway.

• XCOM 2 (2016)
      I got this as a gift from a friend like two years ago, and I feel a bit guilty that I still haven't even installed it. I'm gonna have to play it some time soon - it'd be rude not to - and since I enjoyed XCOM a lot, why wouldn't I?

• System Shock 2 (1999)
      I'm probably going to be lynched by an angry mob now, but despite of really trying to like SS2, I must admit that I find it kind of dull. I've actually started the game twice but never gotten that far in it before I get bored of whacking monkeys and zombies with my wrench. However, I still think that I should give it one more chance and try to stick with it for a bit longer - it's a Looking Glass classic after all and I have this feeling that there's something wrong with me if I don't enjoy it, but it's been two years since my last attempt, so I'd have to start all over again. Maybe I'm just too late to the party?

Who'ever told you that New Vegas's vanilla campaign isn't worth it, is a complete idiot. If you like games with shades of grey all over it and where the "good guys" and "bad guys" are not clear cut, then you'll likely enjoy it. My favorite Fallout game by a longshot.

I can't think of any games I've left on the back burner. After I quit World of Warcraft I spent the next 5 years fixing that.

Picked up Emperor - Battle for Dune yesterday. Looking forward to seeing how it compares to Dune 2000 and C&C.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Good thread idea, though I've been quite good at clearing my backlog and don't have very many neglected games.

Tomi, those are all good games. Max Payne 3 has good gameplay, but is also very cutscene-heavy and kinda slow-moving at the start. I'd say Half-Life 2 is a game that pulls you in and gets you hooked much faster.

Kerbal Space Program - I have a feeling I could reeeeally get into this one, and it'd consume a lot of my time once I finally get started. I'm scared to even install it.

Among The Sleep - This horror game where you're a kid has always seemed interesting and I'm not sure why I haven't gotten to it yet.

Wandersong, Detention - Dunno much about these, except that Sulphur really likes them. I actually have them both installed, and should probably play them at some point, eh?

Ok thinking hard on it -

* Bladerunner (the point and click adventure)
    * Ghostbusters (the one with Dan Akroyd etc doing voice overs)
    * Shin Megami Tensei 4
    * Total War Series - All of them
    * Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines

Had to really think hard on this one, as I've been keeping up to date on the vast majority of good games out there.

I'm just thinking about my longterm holds on playing. I'll double check when I get my laptop back from the shop, but offhand I want to play or think it's important that I play (but I never seem able to get to them)
    - Baulder's Gate 1/2,
    - the first Dark Souls,
    - yeah also Fallout New Vegas, but I played all the other Fallout games except the last one.
    - Thief Deadly Shadows (I bought this I believe on the first day it was sold and might have played the first level, I don't even remember now),
    - oh and Bioshock,
    - One of the good Assassin's Creeds,
    - SW:KOTOR.

I think those are the big ones. They're all technically still in the queue waiting their turn.

Southquarter.com/fms
    First off, Half Life 2 and System Shock 2 should be required playing for any gamer, but especially people who frequent this site. If necessary, force yourself to play for 3 hours and everything else should take care of itself.

Here's my "someday I'll get there" list:

Resident Evil 4 - A classic, I know, but I've tried 3-4 times to get through it and always lost interest somewhere in the middle.
    Metro Games - I own them all, just could never get into them. Bought the last one in hopes that it might be more accessible than the first two.
    Fez - This is my kind of game too, but I've never got too far on any of my attempts for some reason.
    Bloodbourne - Someday, mainly because of the Dark Souls connection.
    Grimrock - I want to like this game, but always lose interest in the first level or 2.
    The Witness - Same here, but the contrived puzzles get to me after a while.
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided - Just can't motivate myself to start it for some odd reason.
    Outlast - Another game I've made multiple attempts at, just can't finish it.
    EYE Divine Cybermancy - Seems like a TTLG game, but I always find something I'm more interested in.

Some more I thought of, later:

Grim Fandango
    Mass Effect 2-3
    Chrono Trigger
    Any Castlevania game
    Ico
    Psychonauts
    Super Mario Galaxy
    First 2 Fallout games
    God of War games
    Last edited by Brethren; 24th Oct 2019 at 13:44.

Your missing nothing from having not played EYE.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Grimrock - I want to like this game, but always lose interest in the first level or 2.
    I can't stress this enough: skip the first one, play the second one. It's vastly superior, and the plot isn't connected (aside from one particularly obscure Easter Egg).

Interesting. Even though I liked Grimrock 1, I skipped the second one as I thought that it's just more of the same. That, and the opening level on the beach where you have to fight some giant lobsters was quite bad. I was going to give it another try some time in any case, but I guess I now need to push it a little closer to the top of my pile of neglected games.

Its a lot harder than Grimrock 1, at least I thought so, but it is really good once you get past the opening beach area. Its much more open though so its easy to wander into an area/dungeon that is too hard for you.

Still Subjective
    Dishonored 2.

I just never got it. I played the demo a bit and then...

The new Deus Ex games. Did a fair bit of HR but never finished.

I enjoyed Max Payne 3. It's similar enough to be a proper sequel but different enough to be interesting.

Half Life 2 IS fun. There are some great bits to that game. I loved all the vehicle sections, really really loved them.

But I get you - I get put off really easily these days.

Not a fan of MP3 at all. The gameplay is fine, but removing the noir/comic/surreal elements took the personality out of it and it's too damn long.

Alan Wake - make sure you play the DLC. That's where the real ending AND the best gameplay is. The main game is majorly padded to make it feel like a full release since they clearly cut off the ending to sell it later. It becomes a real slog towards the end of the main game, but the DLC makes it all worth it.

HL2 stands up with time.

I used to have a whole spiel about HL2--I can't call it a rant because it included the impressive things about it--but it's hardly worth having it now as we're already into the next regime at this point. I mean HL2 is the defining game that initiated and defined that regime of FPS adventure gaming from 2004~... actually I'm not sure what defines the current regime. GTA5 is the current standard-bearer maybe. (Well this is a whole other discussion.)

But HL2 was the major turning point and poster child for AAA games that were almost too polished and cinematic for their own good. I played HL2 around maybe 2008 or 2010 or so, and I remember thinking wow, this has almost every trope in all the FPS coming out, and this is the game that evidently made all of these tropes a thing. So I recognized how influential and defining it was. I had fun playing it, but I felt like it was way too constructed. (For HL1, being constructed worked because each scene was its own set-piece of this evolving story.) I think where the whole thing just gave up the ghost was around the time you started playing gravity ball with the robo-dog, and I realized this doesn't even have the pretense of being a real world I'm in with a real story. The other moment was during the bug-swarm parts; I realized it doesn't actually matter how many bugs you kill, 5 or 50, the game seems to calibrate it so it feels like the same indistinguishable "swarm" you have to "get through" no matter what. (These aren't really spoilers, but I think it's still best to go into a good game fresh without knowing what's coming.)

It was the initiation of cinematic FPS adventures but the tacit dumping of immersive sim thinking. So I had mixed feelings. But it was still undeniably slick and fun to play as an FPS, and had some great scenes, both the fantastic art direction and the scale and ambition of some scenes, and the well-thought-out gameplay to fit (again sometimes too thought out). I would still recommend everyone play it.

The reason HL2 is still particularly special to me above the sum of its parts is the same reason Thief2 is so special; they were both the platform for countless fan levels, many of which were really creative and experimental and inspired (and many of which were dregs, but even then often unique).

I haven't had much time to play games the past three years or so, as it seems these days I only go home to sleep and wash and the bastards don't allow me to install any software at work. Instead, I spend most of my downtime mainly by reading books and news articles and consequently have missed a lot of the more important recent releases: Persona 5, Nier Automata, new God of War, Bayonetta 2, DMC 5, and many more. And I've started and failed to finish The Witcher 3 twice now.

But when it comes long neglected games, there are two that really stand out that I've known about for a long time, yet never got around to actually playing: Myst and Diablo. As for the first, I'm actually a pretty big adventure game fan and have a moderate interest in puzzles as well and as for the other, I've always heard about how addictive and influential it was, so I really want to see for myself what made them such big hits. On the other hand, I can't help but think I'll be disappointed and experience the Seinfeld is Unfunny effect after having played modern games like Torchlight that came after.

Thing What Kicks
    Starker, having played both Bayo 2 and DMC5, which would you say is better?
    I love Bayo 2, which has set a new high bar for me in Japanese spectacle fighters, but I've been cautious about picking up DMC5, fearing that it won't have something as satisfying as Bayo's Witch Time / Dodge Offset combo.

Um, I have played neither. That's why I want to play them.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Diablo [...] I've always heard about how addictive and influential it was, so I really want to see for myself
    If it helps you to abandon that idea (perhaps you care about the health of your fingers), be aware that Diablo is the game of a million mouse clicks. Every single thing you do -- in particular every single hack and every single slash of combat -- means a new independent click of the mouse button. It makes the game hellish in ways which I really don't think they were trying to convey. It's still an addictive game -- but maybe you don't want to get addicted to something with a UI like that.

Thing What Kicks
    Um, I have played neither. That's why I want to play them.
    D'oh, skim-reading at work
    Well, I can highly recommend Bayo 2. While the story's a little less fun and camp than that of Bayo 1, the gameplay is by far and away superior, with the dreaded QTEs being almost completely excised and Bayo herself just feeling a bit snappier. The difficulty curve is also significantly smoother, and the game's far better at teaching you how to play than the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    If it helps you to abandon that idea (perhaps you care about the health of your fingers), be aware that Diablo is the game of a million mouse clicks. Every single thing you do -- in particular every single hack and every single slash of combat -- means a new independent click of the mouse button. It makes the game hellish in ways which I really don't think they were trying to convey. It's still an addictive game -- but maybe you don't want to get addicted to something with a UI like that.
    Hmm.. can it be worse than the million games of Minesweeper I've played? Though it would probably be best not to add injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    D'oh, skim-reading at work
    Well, I can highly recommend Bayo 2. While the story's a little less fun and camp than that of Bayo 1, the gameplay is by far and away superior, with the dreaded QTEs being almost completely excised and Bayo herself just feeling a bit snappier. The difficulty curve is also significantly smoother, and the game's far better at teaching you how to play than the first.
    The campiness is definitely a big part of the appeal for me (and DMC 5 seems to deliver on that front as well). I don't really have any problems with the difficulty, as long as the challenge is fun. And Clover/Platinum have always managed to deliver something enjoyable on that front.

Hmm.. can it be worse than the million games of Minesweeper I've played? Though it would probably be best not to add injury.
    Do you click 1-2 times per second playing Minesweeper? That's how brutal combat can sometimes be on your mouse/hand in Diablo 1.

While it is a very important game for historical purposes, it's not a game I consider "required playing" for gamers. My opinion on the Half-Life series is pretty much the same.

Thing What Kicks
    The campiness is definitely a big part of the appeal for me (and DMC 5 seems to deliver on that front as well). I don't really have any problems with the difficulty, as long as the challenge is fun. And Clover/Platinum have always managed to deliver something enjoyable on that front.
    Oh, it's still camp, but it's just a little bit creepier too in its attitudes towards women.

It's hard to put a finger on exactly why, but I feel it's a combination of more realistic proportions for Bayo herself and some of the dialogue interactions between her and other NPCs. Bayo and Jean had ludicrous figures in the first game, making otherwise "sexy" animations appear weirdly alien.
    And the men in the first game felt like background dressing, allowing Bayo to take centre stage (which I suspect ultimately wasn't the intention of the dev team, but came out that way in translation).

By contrast, both Bayo and Jean have more "realistic" proportions in Bayo 2, making the pandering to the male gaze feel just that bit more creepy. And Bayo's story isn't really her own in this game, with an irritating male character taking centre stage for most of it.

But it's still more gloriously camp than most other offerings out there, and has really honed the gameplay formula from the first game to a fine edge, trimming almost all of the extraneous fat. It could still do with some better check-pointing, and getting Platinum or Pure Platinum medals can sometimes feel a little unfair with goalposts seeming to move (sometimes you can get hit a couple of times and get Pure, sometimes not at all and get Gold), but it's overall a fabulous game.
    I've played through it multiple times (thanks to it also being gloriously portable on Switch), and have enjoyed it every time, something I can't say for the first, thanks to multiple, unfair difficulty spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    And the men in the first game felt like background dressing, allowing Bayo to take centre stage (which I suspect ultimately wasn't the intention of the dev team, but came out that way in translation).
    From everything I've read on Bayonetta 1 and the team behind it, Bayonetta was always intended to be the very obvious focus of the game and as a strong independent woman who acknowledges her sexuality in a powerful way. I've read some (translated) dev complaints about lewd artwork depicting Bayonetta in a submissive position, while being ok with her in lewd artwork where she's dominating others.

Also, Bayonetta 1 is about Bayonetta discovering who she really is, so having everyone else be mostly background characters is very much in line with what the game wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    Do you click 1-2 times per second playing Minesweeper? That's how brutal combat can sometimes be on your mouse/hand in Diablo 1.
    Pretty sure I hit way more than 1-2 CPS on both those games.

Diablo 2 is the one that sticks in my memoy. It's good to play both maybe, but if you played just one I'd pick the 2nd. Anyway 1 & 2 were clickfests for sure. You just imagine a swarm of 20 or 50 monsters running in from every direction, and 1-3 clicks kills each one as fast as you can click them down, with one or two 8-click tanks in there. You can imagine how fast and long you're going to be clicking to clear the mob out. It has a kind of immediate gratification though, like a pure sugar rush of gaming.

I always liked the first more. More restricted to a single town and pure dungeon crawling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast