TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: TFix DML files not working

TFix DML files not working

Okay, so I was told that once you install Thief 1 and 2 with their respective TFix's and the Fan Mission Fixes boxes checked, that's all you need to do to play their respective fan missions. Nothing else needs to be done. However, that doesn't seem to be true.

I installed Thief Gold with the latest version of TFix and made sure to check that box, then I loaded up various missions, through FMSel, that are said to be busted in NewDark. Result...
    They're still busted. Every bug listed in this thread, I'm still getting in the ones I tried out:
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143759

EDIT:
    Just tried manually copying "ami_miss20.mis.dml" from the "FMdml" folder into the AMIDA fan mission folder and renaming it "miss20.mis.dml" and that DID work. Apparently they arn't installing automatically like they are supposed too.
    Last edited by LaughingMan008; 1st Nov 2019 at 21:01.

This is a question for Voodoo, he packaged together TFix, but I re-installed TFix 1.27 only a couple of days ago and when you run the installer there is no Fan Mission fixes box that needs to be checked so the FMdml package should be installed automatically.

Once you have installed TFix the FMdml folder should appear in the main TG folder and FMdml should also appear in your mod path, so long as both are there the fixes should work.

; these are normal mod paths which are applied after the active FM in the search order
    ;mod_path MyBowMod+.\TexturePack
    mod_path usermods+mods\packfix+mods\candles+mods\EP\Thief1+NecroAge\Thief1+NecroAge+EP2\Thief1+EP2+mods+mods\ t2skies+mods\EP+FMdml

I have just booted up Tears of Blood (Shadow of Doubt mission 2) and played on expert (master) and it would appear the fix is loading, as without the fix the mission fails instantly due to the Hammerite guard patrolling the prison cells being so sensitive with ND that he is alerted even if you do nothing whilst hiding in the shadows.

I have also checked Out for a Walk and that fix is also working (it prevents the cemetery gate being opened with a broadhead arrow)

However the fix for Mineshock (there used to be a completely new miss20 file) would appear to be no longer in the package and on checking the mission crashes to desktop the moment you try to start the mission.

So my limited testing would seem to confirm at least 2 of the fixes listed in Voodoo's FMdml notes are working correctly, so....

1. Check you cam_mod path to make sure it looks like above, if not add FMdml at the end.

2. Make sure the FMdml folder is in your main TG folder. If it's not there extract the contents of this zip directly into your TG folder.
    Ps. There is a notes.txt in that folder which lists the currently fixed missions.

3. You'll need to restart the missions to get the dml's installed and working.

With T2 missions there is a box to be checked when you run the T2Fix installer and Jax extensively tested the load of each dml before releasing the latest T2Fix so all of those fixes should work ok.
    Last edited by fortuni; 2nd Nov 2019 at 04:47.

Zombified
    yes, there is no option to not install the dmls, as I don't think it's necessary - the dmls fix stuff when needed, and do nothing when not, so no reason to bother the user with technical stuff. all the included dmls (see !notes.txt in the FMdml folder) were tested with their respective missions, and load as they should. and obviously, only missions that have their respective fixes included are getting fixed (as mentioned in the dev topic, the FMdml system is not 100% compatible with all mission fixes that have been submitted, Mineshock being a good example). also, if you use an incompatible FM loader that breaks cam_mod.ini (or the scripts in the OSM folder), the fixes will not load.

Shadow of Doubt mission 2 is indeed a good way to test without digging through the log files, if the dmls load as they should, you will get an iron nail as a makeshift lockpick instead of a wooden splinter (was testing whether custom resources can be included in the FMdml package, and I liked it, so I've left it in), and blackjacking the first guard will make him drop his lantern.

//replying to a pm from LaughingMan008 - just checked Amida, everything is loading fine;

Code:
    DIAG: looking for file 'ami_miss20.mis.dml' in path 'C:\thief tests\Thief - Gold DVD\FMdml\dbmods\miss_all\' (31900)

INFO: found file 'ami_miss20.mis.dml' in path 'C:\thief tests\Thief - Gold DVD\FMdml\dbmods\miss_all\', loading... (31900)
    DIAG:     assigned prop value "Scripts" -> sScriptProp::"Don't Inherit" = "True" on object 355
    DIAG:     added property "Scripts" to object 381
    DIAG:     assigned prop value "Scripts" -> sScriptProp::"Script 0" = "TrapSetQVar" on object 381
    DIAG:     added property "TrapQVar" to object 381
    DIAG:     assigned prop "TrapQVar" = "=1:goal_state_2" on object 381
    DIAG:     added property "Scripts" to object 185
    DIAG:     assigned prop value "Scripts" -> sScriptProp::"Script 0" = "TrigSlain" on object 185
    DIAG:     added property "Scripts" to object 70
    DIAG:     assigned prop value "Scripts" -> sScriptProp::"Script 0" = "TrapSetQVar" on object 70
    DIAG:     added property "TrapQVar" to object 70
    DIAG:     assigned prop "TrapQVar" = "=1:goal_state_3" on object 70
    DIAG:     added property "Scripts" to object 201
    DIAG:     assigned prop value "Scripts" -> sScriptProp::"Script 0" = "TrigSlain" on object 201
    DIAG:     added property "Scripts" to object 4
    DIAG:     assigned prop value "Scripts" -> sScriptProp::"Script 0" = "TrapSetQVar" on object 4
    DIAG:     added property "TrapQVar" to object 4
    DIAG:     assigned prop "TrapQVar" = "=1:goal_state_4" on object 4
    DIAG:     added property "Scripts" to object 197
    DIAG:     assigned prop value "Scripts" -> sScriptProp::"Script 0" = "TrigSlain" on object 197
    INFO: patch done
    DIAG: ------ patch queue finished ------
    try adding dbmod_log 10 into your cam_ext.cfg, start the mission, exit, and explore the freshly created dbmod.log, you should have a similar snippet somewhere in the file. checking cam_mod.ini to see whether the mod_path is correct as fortuni mentioned is also a good idea.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 2nd Nov 2019 at 10:14.

I looked at my install folder and saw that "cam_mod.ini" was not there. I found one in another folder, but instead of doing anything with it, I just re downloaded the TFix files and installed again. NOW I have "cam_mod.ini" in the right places and the patches seem to be loading fine. I find Amida is a great way to test it. So I don't know what happened before. I know I didn't manually delete the "cam_mod.ini" file myself, so maybe another program did. Maybe AngelLoader, the one time I ran it? Regardless, it seems to work now.

I read on another thread about needing to add a line to "cam_mod.ini" to make things work, but since I didn't even have that file I figured something must have been wrong. I'm pretty sure I had the latest version of the TFix's installed, but when I did it this time, yeah, no box for installing the patches. Maybe I was just confused. Thanks for your help!

I have noticed that plenty of missions have fixes that ARNT included in the DML folders. LaFrenier, Real Criminal Boss for example. Is that because they are incompatible with this automatic way of patching that FMSel does, or because they were made by Unna Oertdottir instead of voodoo?
    If the latter, do you plan to include this fix and others in future updates to TFix, or will these patches remain ones we have to install manually?

Zombified
    I need to be made aware of a dml patch for a fm existing, then I need to convert it into the FMdml format and repack into the patcher. anyone is free to submit fixup dmls, in the TFix topic ideally.

on a quick glance, Frenier needs a hard edit to the mission file, so not FMdml compatible - the fix will have to be installed manually.

AngelLoader doesn't contain code to delete cam_mod.ini. It only adds or modifies certain lines in it (to wit, it adds or uncomments "fm" and "fm_selector" lines, nothing else).

It goes like this:

1. It reads cam_mod.ini into memory as a set of text lines
    2. It modifies those lines in memory
    3. It writes the new lines back out to the file on disk

If step 3 fails in any way, it logs the error and doesn't do anything else to cam_mod.ini. Absolute worst case, if cam_mod.ini was somehow not able to be accessed or it got locked in the middle of writing, I would think at least it would still be there but blank or something. If you still have AngelLoader installed, can you look for AngelLoader_log.txt in its folder and post what it contains?

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMan008 View Post
    I have noticed that plenty of missions have fixes that ARNT included in the DML folders. LaFrenier, Real Criminal Boss for example. Is that because they are incompatible with this automatic way of patching that FMSel does, or because they were made by Unna Oertdottir instead of voodoo?
    If the latter, do you plan to include this fix and others in future updates to TFix, or will these patches remain ones we have to install manually?
    Unna, Jax and I are concentrating on T2 mission atm but I have every intention of going back to the T1/TG missions at a later date (couple of years at this rate) as when I wrote the walkthroughs for those missions I only reported to Voodoo and Unna the most significant bugs, and at that time we all had a limited knowledge of dml's, but with extensive experience Unna has learnt to fix many more issues that we couldn't fix then.

If I'm not mistaken Jax has been able to include new 'miss' files in the T2 FMdml, but for the time being any new 'miss' files for T1/TG mission probably need installing manually, having said that doesn't the AMIDA fix involve a completely new 'miss' file and isn't that loaded via FMdml?

It is also a good idea to keep an eye on the Brief Summaries, this is where I point all players to known dml's, so if that thread says there is a dml for a mission which is not currently in either the T2 or TG package, this is where you can follow the link to manually install any such dml.

@ Voodoo
    Unna produced a dml for TRS-100, available here.
    Last edited by fortuni; 3rd Nov 2019 at 07:19.

Got ya. I just didn't know if Unna's patches had anything to do with voodoos, or whatever, since the Unna ones don't seem to be installed with TFix. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to do a lot of manual work to get my fan mission archives up to date, but it looks like Ill have to patch and rezip some files. Ahh well, Ill work at it. And in the meantime, if I play any old fan missions, Ill make note of anything that's busted, and let one of you guys know about it in case you want to make a fix. If that's okay with you that is.

I myself wouldn't mind learning how to create these .dml files. It looks like something I might be able to handle. Modding through text files. Is there any tutorial or anything out there about how to create .dml files? And what are some of the things you can do with them? Is there any limit to what you can change in a level? I'm assuming you can at least add and move items about?

Also, voodoo, in relation to the Frenier patch, how is it different from the other patches you have included in your package? It looks the same to my uneducated brain. Is there a very special type of way your patches are made that they can then be automatically applied, that other .dml patches arn't made using?

I hope I'm not making a pain of myself. I'm very interested in this whole process and what like to learn more about it, and maybe even help contribute to it some way if I can.

Zombified
    to make it simple, you take a broken mission, see whether you can fix the problem in the Dromed editor, and then export the fix into the dml file. there are limitations to what can be exported this way (ex. if the fix requires a relight/reprocess of the mission, it is not possible to export it. adding and moving objects is possible, but also fairly limited).

a few dml related tutorials and notes can be found here. before you can start making fixup dmls, you will need at least a basic understanding of how the editor works and how missions are set up (to make it short, you need to be able to open the mission in the editor, find out what's wrong, and figure out how to fix it).

the FMdml system has limitations, no mission (mis) files being one of them (dmls and custom resources are fine).

There are actually very few limitations as to what can be fixed, everything from stuck doors, doors flying through the map (bizarre, rare and very difficult to fix) missing loot, moving loot to completely different locations, fixing secrets that don't work, broken objectives, not being able to save, scripts not working, AI's getting stuck and acting weirdly, fixing walls that you could used to mantle with old dark, broken links....the list goes on.

To give you an idea we've bug tested 450+ T2 missions so far, fixing about 170, with only about 20 not being fully fixed, but to fix so many missions with so many complex issues a deep understanding of Dromed and coding is also required, something that Unna and Jax excel at.

Voodoo's instructions at System Shock can teach you the simple basics but a lot of fixes Unna and Jax work on get a lot, lot more complex, with Unna having to completely rewrite the coding, Jax having to make entirely new scripts, then we need to tie everything together into a seamless fix, which in itself is sometimes a nightmare. We spent 6 weeks alone on fixing Rebellion of the Builder with probably 100+ dml's produced and tested before we were happy with the result.

If you are interested in helping fixing missions, especially the T1/TG missions, your help at Shadowbox as a tester and bug reporter would be more than welcome. Mission testing would give a you close up view of what Unna and Jax do in making the dml's, but I have been working with Unna for nearly 3 years and I still have little understanding of them, even the most basic ones, even though my knowledge of Dromed is vast in comparison to what it was 3 years ago, I often don't even understand what they are talking about.

So if you wish to get involved fixing all the older missions you would be very welcome as a tester, it's a very rewarding role but it would be best if we leave the making of the dml's to the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    So if you wish to get involved fixing all the older missions you would be very welcome as a tester, it's a very rewarding role but it would be best if we leave the making of the dml's to the experts.
    Haha. Yeah, I like the sound of that. It does sound like quite a complicated process. Hell, I still haven't figured out Dromed yet. It's only very recently, like in the past couple years, that Ive gotten into modding games myself. Doom, Quake, Half-Life, the various Elder Scrolls games....
    Those are what Ive messed around with most. Ive always wanted to make Thief missions, and I'm hoping that now that Ive started wrapping my head around the basics of modding, maybe going back into Dromed I will start to at least pick up the basics a bit better.

In the meantime... Ill be happy to test missions. If any of you have any .dml files that need testing, that haven't been published yet, send me a PM. Or if there are any particular missions for Thief Gold or Thief 2 that you would like me to play just to see if they need fixing, let me know. I will happily contribute my time to the process.

Laughing Man we have a dedicated testing forum at Shadowbox, I've sent you a PM.

Zombified
    no harm in learning the basics though - a tester with some dev skills can be much more efficient than one with none.