TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: How to activate readable when entering a area?

How to activate readable when entering a area?

How can i make a readable (diary) be activated/used automatically when entering an area, in this case in the starting point?

Maybe something like this:
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...+book+on+start

Or is there a script that can do this?

I would probably use a conversation.

Trigger the conversation with a TrigRoomPlayer roombrush or a BoundsTrigger; the conversation just frobs the readable.

I think it's best to install tnhScript and use TrapFrobber.
    https://dromed.whoopdedo.org/tnhscript/trapfrobber

Another option is to use an AIWatchObj from a nearby or M-NeverEfficient AI to himself or an object. Have the AI frob the readable, and set the AIWatchObj to remove the link upon completion.

Thank you all i will try the methods suggested by all , and see which one works well...

I don't want to seem bossy about this, after all this is a hobby rather than a profession, but there are very few situations where the best thing to do is use an AI and a conv/AI watch obj.

You're right Robin, but for some of us we don't always remember methods using any of the vast number of scripts. With conversations & aiwatchobj multiple steps can be performed. I've used script methods on simple tasks, but on more complicated setups its easier for me to see everything in a conversation format.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    While I generally agree with that, John, there is nothing at all complicated about displaying a readable when the player enters a room. TrapFrobber is the simplest solution presented here by far, other than that it adds the requirement of custom scripts to the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    While I generally agree with that, John, there is nothing at all complicated about displaying a readable when the player enters a room. TrapFrobber is the simplest solution presented here by far, other than that it adds the requirement of custom scripts to the mission.
    TrapFrobber is a scrip i use for the roombrush? do i link then the roombrush to the readable with a control device? The script required is tnhScript.osm?

The roombrush should use TrigRoomPlayer, CD linked to a marker with the TrapFrobber script (which requires tnhScript.osm to be loaded).
    The marker should then be CD linked to the book.

The book will be shown each time the player enters the roombrush. If you only want it happen once, edit the marker and add Script > Trap Control Flags: Once

Russ I agree, though I read Robin's post to be more generalized. I should have considered the OP when reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    The roombrush should use TrigRoomPlayer, CD linked to a marker with the TrapFrobber script (which requires tnhScript.osm to be loaded).
    The marker should then be CD linked to the book.

The book will be shown each time the player enters the roombrush. If you only want it happen once, edit the marker and add Script > Trap Control Flags: Once
    It's not working for me, i have load tnhScript.osm (10‎ April ‎2009 version) in dromed, followed your instructions, added TrapFrobber script to the marker and the roombrush just in case, and the other steps as well, did build room database, and when i enter the room nothing happens. do i have the tnhScript.osm outdated?

Try to add TrapFrobber on the book instead, and then just CD link it from the room brush.

One thought I had is maybe you mistyped script names. Its easy to do and also easy to overlook.

i can always add a Garrett comment saying "I should ready again my diary"

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    i can always add a Garrett comment saying "I should ready again my diary"
    Did you try what i suggested? I tried it and it worked. I have the same date on the script as you.

Yes, my mistake, TrapFrobber goes on the book object, as does the Trap Control Flags property if you need to use it. No markers required.

Hi Patrick, yes i had tested but with the marker, but now that Rsoul told me that there's no marker need it works.

now i will try to make it work to be activated once, link the roombrush to a lever and the lever to the book, and the lever to a destroy trap link to the lever...let see if it works.

doesn't work with a switch, but using only the destroy trap works, so i link the room brush to the book with a CD, and a destroyed trap that is link to the book, the readable is activate only once, so when you return to the same room the readable is no longer activate.

I have all working, i will include all people suggestions in the credit files. Thank you!

One last question, do i have to include tnhScript.osm file in the mission zip file?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    Hi Patrick, yes i had tested but with the marker, but now that Rsoul told me that there's no marker need it works.

now i will try to make it work to be activated once, link the roombrush to a lever and the lever to the book, and the lever to a destroy trap link to the lever...let see if it works.
    Did you miss my post https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=1#post2434058