TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Is it possible to return to starting point after destroying portal in the Maw?

Is it possible to return to starting point after destroying portal in the Maw?

This question is to the experts knowing all the tricks and quirks of the engine. Last mission of Thief 1 is Maw of Chaos. I was always curious how Garrett escaped it after exchanging the Eye and destroying portal. Usually there is an objective for that, but in this mission there is none. So I ask to destroy the portal and then wait 4-5 min to emulate time spent on watching the ritual. And then return to starting point. I wonder is it even possible?

Erm, I don┤t think you can go back the way you came. I remember the icy spot you can┤t go up again and then there was the waterhole-riddle.

Maybe with the death of the Trickster Garrett was spit out in his realm because he didn┤t belong there, or the keepers had an escape plan for him. OR MAYBE Garrett is trapped forever in the maw and T2+3 (especially the reboot) just happened in his mind...

Yes, I know about potential problems. Underwater tunnel is the first. Current is too strong to return that way. Also Garrett is falling into this underwater section, so this route is impossible. And yes, there are these 2 ice slides impossible to climb. But I watched few speedruns. Speedrunners use this tunnel used for egg transportation. They also know a bunch of exploits and glitches. They can throw themselves upward, slow their fall with using blackjack in specific way or even swim in lava without dying. I wonder if with these exploits it's possible to return to starting point after destroying the portal.

Swim in lava? My goodness!
    I┤m not in for the immersion-breaking stuff.

But while we┤re at it, I always found it off, that Garrett wouldn┤t destroy the portal he came through, but a completely other one. On my first playtrough I spent half an our smashing the first portal at the start with the sword, shooting every arrow at it while avoiding the minions of the Trickster...

Dˇttirin klŠ­ist oft mˇ­ur m÷ttli
    You can jump on the "eggs" and ride it like an elevator. They are spheres and can bring you to some places near the start. It's difficult to balance on the spheres. Good luck.

There are few problems about it. First I need to get to the egg first and I don't really see a safe way to do that. At least in Newdark. Second - after waiting few minutes after destroying portal (to emulate dealing with ritual), eggs no longer appear to be an option.

Go back to the big particle bridge after the big tree. Take a ape beast body with you to stop the fall and jump on the ledge under the bridge. Then jump on a sphere that comes along.

Not sure what you mean
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    after waiting few minutes after destroying portal (to emulate dealing with ritual)

I'm talking about emulating Garrett's return path from Maw. After destroying portal Garrett exchange the Eye and is forced to watch ritual. It takes few minutes. Afterwards mission get finished. Because of that it's impossible to get to starting point after ritual will start. That's why I require few minutes of waiting after destroying portal. So it will look like Garrett returns from ritual section after exchanging Eye and watching whole ritual. And that's why egg spheres will not be an option. Even if they will still fly, they will be very close to their end, outside of my reach.

I don't have abilities for that, also I'm can only play on Newdark and most of exploits are possible only on Olddark. That's why I'm asking is it possible.

Missions often end in places that don't have an explicitly-revealed exit. Think we are meant to just assume that Garrett would find a way out of the hills in Bonehoard, or the closed off city sections that some missions end in.

So... even though it wasn't explicitly programmed in, G found a path out of the Maw. He managed it again in T2.

A body as helper object will still work in NewDark.

Cigam: I understand your point of view. Garrett even if he doesn't always need to go back to starting point, he ends in the outside area. But in last mission of Thief 1 he ends in the inner core of Maw. And yes he managed to escape this place. My question is how?

Unna Oertdottir: I know about bodies acting as a cushion. But I can't use it to fall on egg spheres simply because after Garrett will destroy the portal and kill Constantine (it's these few minutes of waiting I mentioned before), egg spheres are nowhere nearby.

And yes I know, for most of the players the answer will be - no, it's impossible to return to the starting point in this situation. It was done to be impossible by Looking Glass. But still I watched speedruns done in Olddark and they are doing all this crazy stuff. They break the game in order to get best times. That's why I wonder is it really impossible for them?

I would say you would have to go through the egg area to get back up IF it was possible. You can blackjack (use your blackjack to slow fall) your way to the hole from the particle bridge that Unna was talking about. You would have to hop on an egg (like Unna stated)or fling off the blackjack hitbox (this trick is difficult to control especially trying to get more height than distance) upward but I'm unsure if flinging off the hitbox would get you that much height. IDK if there is an object you could take to fling off of as well. You can basically fling off any object. Flinging is going up to an object, setting up left/middle/right of the object, being a certain proximity, then leaning left or right, and then moving the mouse to the left or right at X speed. It would need testing to know for sure to see if you could get back to the beginning.

Here's a savegame (quicksave)
    In the Maw, Portal has been destroyed, The Eye removed. Back to the particle bridge, jumped on a sphere and riding it over the lava.
    Load it it and see how far you can get

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kjj4pf..._on_Sphere.zip

(It's made in ND 1.26)

Challenge completed. Thanks, Unna, for your persistence. My mistake was assuming that I must destroy the portal, then exchange the Eye and stay in this area to the end of ritual. I thought that leaving ritual area fails watching ritual objective. That's not true. In fact ritual stops when I'm leaving to portal and continue when I return there.

So I ignored the portal and went to exchange the Eye. I waited until Trickster will walk towards Eye and quickly ran to portal. If you are fast enough, you will avoid objective completed. Then I destroyed the portal in the way that I waited for egg sphere with Bugbeast. Then I ran to vines. Watching objective completed. I returned to portal. This run after portal destruction to vines (to complete objective) and back took me 20 seconds.

I reloaded save from before dealing with portal and Constantine. I destroyed the portal in the same way like before (Bugbeast sphere left the portal), waited 20 seconds and ran to particle bridge where I left Ratman body. I managed to get to even previous egg sphere. I dropped on it using Ratman body as a cushion.

Riding on egg sphere is tricky. Just before speed up you need to drop down. Otherwise you get propelled away or killed by body movement. Mantle few cave chambers forward. Somewhere in the half is place that you can jump on lying positioned body. In my case Bugbeasts body.

The biggest problem with riding on egg sphere is when body change position. It's very easy to fall through body. Try to stay behind the head and try to mantle on it. For some reason staying on a bit diagonal position is the hardest. Again target head nad mantle or jump. It's very tricky. Sometimes you can ride while you are kinda inside the body and you can't jump. In that case go to the side of egg sphere, try jumping, then return on body and jump again.

Ride ends by jumping to the ledge. It took me 100 or more reloads. Also for some reason it was easier to stay on egg sphere in your save, Unna. Climbing to the start of the mission is easy. I must say I'm surprised that I succeeded. I thought that it could be possible only by using crazy exploits. But it was really interesting challenge. Thanks for help, Unna Oertdottir.

Well done That old game is still fun.