TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Broken FM's

Broken FM's

I've been playing a lot of old fan missions the last couple of years. Lately I've run into a rash of fan missions (usually custom missions) that have doors that don't open or switches that don't work (confirmed looking at Youtube video walk-throughs. Every time this happens it is a fan mission in the 2008 era. I use Wine through Linux. I'm a little confused on what is meant by NewDark. I use darkloader 4.3. The fan missions that are labelled "NewDark only" work fine in darkloader 4.3 for me. Does anyone know what the issue would be with these fan missions ? Both thief gold and thief 2 are patched and have texture mods in place.

Zombified
    start by having a clean install of TG/T2 patched with their respective patchers (TFix/T2Fix), and never touching cancerloader darkloader again - either use FMsel which comes integrated (can be activated by launching the exe with a -fm parameter, or by editing cam_mod.ini and uncommenting the ;fm line), or NewDarkLoader, or AngelLoader, then checking whether the FM is still broken. if so, report the issue in the TFix/T2Fix topic.

and remember, each time someone uses darkloader, god kills an adorable puppy, AND a cute kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by howeird View Post
    I'm a little confused on what is meant by NewDark.
    It's an unofficial patch for Thief/Thief2/System Shock 2, and is correctly installed via TFix or T2Fix.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    cancerloader darkloader again
    and remember, each time someone uses darkloader, god kills an adorable puppy, AND a cute kitten.
    Is it possible for you to recommend one of the newer FM loaders without becoming unhinged about Darkloader?

Zombified
    it's been a long day. tomorrow, maybe.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by howeird View Post
    I'm a little confused on what is meant by NewDark.
    Literally the first result when you type "newdark" into Google.

NewDark is a new game executable for Dark engine games which appeared out of nowhere in late 2012. It was created anonymously, but has been extensively tested and found to be completely safe, to the point that GOG includes it in their System Shock 2 release.

What NewDark does is upgrade the Dark engine to support many new and incredibly great features, such as full DX9 support, high resolution textures, native high resolution, widescreen and multi-monitor support (including extremely high resolutions like triple 2560x1600). All of these features work in Thief 1/Gold, Thief 2 and System Shock 2.

NewDark does not work on my system. It does not keep "FM archive folder" path.

Zombified
    I'll guess you mean FMsel. as mentioned, I'd start from a clean install, then try to edit cam_mod.ini, and hard-enable it. as you are running this under wine, you may have to extract the fan mission into its own folder in the FMs folder manually. with that done, just run the game exe, and the FMsel screen should pop up, allowing you to double click/launch it.

the idea is to make sure you are using all the latest tools, which should autoload a lot of FM fixes, hopefully solving your issues without needing to fix them manually.

that didn't work either. Just crashes everything. I've been trying it on disk version but have it on Steam as well because i couldn't get Thief 2 to work with the new Wine program until Sneaky upgrade came out. I'm not sure if Sneaky patch works with Proton or not because I've never tried it with his patch. But, NewDark is not recognizing Wine. Not sure why you don't like darkloader because it does work with Wine. Too me it is odd it is all 2008 era FM's that are goofed up.
    Last edited by howeird; 13th Nov 2019 at 20:02.

I tried it in Proton with no luck. The game comes up ok but I can't adjust 'gamma'. I tried restarting Steam with no luck. It's way too dark to play. A FM called 'Off the Record' is the one I've been trying to make work properly. None of the light switches upstair work. The downstairs ones work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3FHkBo4g_o Preview Youtube video.

Sorry, it's TafferPatcher_TMA_218_beta .....that i used for proton patch. Sneaky patch was for thief 3.

Zombified
    that's why I'm saying, put all the old stuff aside, and start from square one, creating a proper, modern install, and see whether that resolves the issues. so;

- pull a new install of T2 from steam/off cd
    - patch it with T2Fix (standard video preset)
    - enable FMsel, try to run the game exe

checks whether that gets you somewhere.

Yeah I did all what you said. Even though NewDark program comes up it doesn't accept a Wine folder address. Even if i copy and paste the folder address in the NewDark program it kicks out the address. Basically it can not find the FM's because the it will not except a Wine address. The Steam (Proton) version with patch in place is too dark to play because the gamma setting in options does not work. I had this problem with patches on other games as well. The new version of Wine and newer versions of 3rd party apps resolved all my other game mods this year.

When i posted this i just wanted to know why switches didn't work. If they update NewDark to accept Wine addresses I'll use it then and just put these FM's aside.

Zombified
    I have to admit I have a hard time understanding what you are attempting to do there. wild guessing you are trying to open a fan mission zip from some remote location, and it's not working because linux/wine (NewDark has nothing to do with this).

so, is the fan mission you are trying to run extracted in its own folder, which resides in the FMs folder (which should be in your T2 folder)? because if it is, as long as you can open the exe/the FMselect screen, you should be able to see it in the window, and launch it.

It took me a while to figure it out. NewDark is a mod which has FM Selector incorporated into it (or at least support) and FM Selector is mentioned in the read me notes for the mod, so this is what i thought you were referring to in your posts. There is a link to the Mod on TTLG forums so i thought you were aware of it. https://www.ttlg.com/forums/printthr...t=135188&pp=50 I installed this Thief Gold NewDark mod first and found the Thief 2 NewDark mod later. I have TafferPatcher_TMA_218_beta , and have had it for some time, but there is no mention of FM Selector on the patch installer and i have no read me notes for it which i didn't think would be an issue in the future because it's just click and install.

I'm having lighting issues with Patriot. I haven't had lighting issues like this since the very first thief gold fm's using darkloader. I'm using FMSel now with a clean install and no mods...just the game disk install and TafferPatcher_TMA_218_beta . It could be the 32 bit lighting ??? mentioned by voodoo at the bottom https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150210
    Last edited by howeird; 19th Nov 2019 at 08:51.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Tafferpatcher is old. Install T2fix

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149669

I've mentioned i had that patch back on the 13th but you are the first to post a link to a newer version. I thought i had the right patch. Thanks

Edit: Did a clean install again. The first mission more clear so i can see now but still having lighting issue with other missions.

2nd Edit: The newer patched fixed lighting issues in 2 more missions, with a total of 3 fixed, so the old patch was a problem. One of the missions is totally different in the beginning - which is interesting. Mission 4 is one i still have problems with but it is mentioned in the creators readme file that it could be a problem. Sky's are blue, outside is full sunlight, and mines are pitch black. Even with lantern i can barely see. I have gamma on max so as to see in the mines but it doesn't matter even with a lantern. Outside light i suppose is to be expected with gamma on max.
    Last edited by howeird; 19th Nov 2019 at 14:55.