TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Proton and Wine with NewDark

Proton and Wine with NewDark

Does anyone use NewDark with Linux ? I can play with DarkLoader but have no luck with NewDark. If someone is using it successfully with Linux please post a reply.

Zombified
    just to make it perfectly clear, if you have patched up with any patcher that has been released in the last half a dozen years, you are using NewDark - that's the game engine/executable in your folder. what you are having trouble with (as far as I can tell), is using a modern fan mission loader (FMselect, which comes integrated into NewDark).

I had both T2 & TG with NewDark (installed from my old CDs not on Steam/Proton) running well on Linux Mint 19.1 using Wine 6.0 with the built-in FMSel working normally but unfortunately not AngelLoader which had UI issues. Was a while back and I use Windows 10 (have dual-boot w/Linux) to regularly play Thief but wanted to test it out to see. Performance was just as good as under Windows. The Linux distro might matter as well as your video card, I have an AMD RX 580 which has native kernel support rather than needing proprietary drivers which might matter too.

The easiest setup is to copy your working Thief installs from Windows into your Linux user folder (I made a /Games subfolder to match my Windows path) and also your /FM archives folder (although you can also point to your Windows FM archive drive if available & it'll work), then if Wine is working correctly the games should run, and you can even scale the FMSel window larger in Wine settings which you can't do in Windows.
    Last edited by Dahenjo; 14th Nov 2019 at 14:38.

I have successfully played through the whole of SS2, TG and T:MA, with the latest NewDark patches for all 3 as of a few months ago, under Linux using wine-4.0. Mind you, I switched to a Wine version with native Direct3D 9 support quite early on so I don't know how well the vanilla version would work. Moreover, I haven't played any fan missions on this set-up yet so I haven't tried any FM loaders on it.

I have a program called NewDarkLoader that does not work with wine. There is no FMSel in my file. I have fmsel.dll and FMSelector.bat

Zombified
    ->
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    edit cam_mod.ini, and hard-enable it.

In your cam_mod folder edit this line by removing the semi-colon on the 2nd line, then save. Then run the Thief.exe in your T2 folder and FMsel interface box will load

; always start the FM Selector (if one is present)
    ;fm

to

; always start the FM Selector (if one is present)
    fm

For the record, Dahenjo and I discussed Linux support during AngelLoader's testing and as far as we know, FMSel is the only loader that works with Wine. NewDarkLoader and AngelLoader both run on the .NET Framework which we think is what causes them not to work, whereas FMSel is written in native C++ so it does.

I got it working in Thief Gold but it's called FMselect.lnk . Works fine

Ok. I got it working now in Thief 2 thanks, fortuni. Didn't know what enable it meant

Zombified
    well, it's only been mentioned about five times.

but good to know that wine is capable of using windows links (lnk), that will make things simpler in the future (TFix creates the link in the TG root, so any linux user can be directed to just launch that to open the FMsel window).

I was confused by your terminology. To me NewDark and NewDarkLoader were the same thing - NewDarkLoader i had downloaded and was trying to use. In Wine there is a wine glass on icons that start Windows applications. Since there was no FMSel with a wine glass icon i didn't know what you were talking about.

I started to use Linux Mint right after windows 10 came out. I bought a new HP all in one computer (low spec) that had windows 10 installed which worked fine until it updated. Starting with the first update the cpu would always run at 100 %. so i would have to revert to factory settings so i could use it. After fighting windows 10 for several months i finally gave up and put Linux on it. I gave that computer away but stuck with Linux Mint because it's easier to use than windows 10. Updates faster for sure.

I bought another HP with a core i3 and put a gtx 1030 (ddr5) in it which has Linux Mint 19.1 that i use for Thief and all my old disk games. I also have a windows 10 computer with i5 and rtx 2060 but it's overkill for thief and my other old games. The HP Linux i use most of the time because it doesn't use as much power with only 190 watt power supply. I also still hate windows 10. Launchers/Loaders are a plague for me right now. Rockstar launcher won't update any more, nor does it work they way it was intended, and Blizzard Launcher updates with 7 - 12 gigs every other day plus it lost my game save for Modern Warfare and it doesn't work as stated.

Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post
    For the record, Dahenjo and I discussed Linux support during AngelLoader's testing and as far as we know, FMSel is the only loader that works with Wine. NewDarkLoader and AngelLoader both run on the .NET Framework which we think is what causes them not to work, whereas FMSel is written in native C++ so it does.
    Out of curiosity, have you tried installing .NET runtime into the relevant Wine prefix (using winetricks for instance)? I've had mixed success running .NET software under Wine, some works as soon as you've got the right runtime in and some do not no matter what you do (or at least for the amount of effort I've been willing to spend debugging such stuff so far) - but it's not that no .NET software works.

Yeah, I did install it. AngelLoader partially worked - it would start up but the UI was messed up. Parts were blacked out and controls were missing etc. I remember trying to fix it and looking into it. If I recall correctly I think it was that .NET Framework 4.7.2 wasn't fully supported. NDL runs on 4.6, and I understand it worked somewhat better but still had problems with paths (according to Dahenjo). Of course there's always .NET Core which is cross-platform, but then WinForms is only supported on Windows so I would still have to use a whole different UI framework and then I don't get the RichTextBox and can't display .rtf files etc. etc. Meh.

I'm disappointed. I already found 2 fm's not compatible with FMSel. Plus Readme files are not compatible with Wine/Linux either. Too many loaders

Zombified
    not compatible with FMSel how? also listing the fan missions that don't seem to work may be helpful.

anyway, for a fan mission to work properly with any kind of loader, the mission needs to be constructed in a sane way. not all FM authors bothered.

I was trying to play "Patriot". https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=149751&page=2 zajazd says: Only compatible with Angel Loader. After Orfeus21 makes a comment not compatible with darkloader ?

In Patriot i skipped the first campaign mission because i didn't understand the mission or able figure it out - to me it is strange. Anyway, in the second mission I'm in a jail cell, suppose to frob keys from a guard but i can't do it. They light up but unable to frob keys.
    It's hard to tell because i can't read release notes in FMSel because i get error message when trying to view notes. I started playing another Fm called "nosferatu" and had problems, which i have since figured out, and am still able to play through. Custom missions are part of the problem when the creators do weird stuff that is not a normal action of the game. IE: arrows to kill werewolf switched to key 7 and not being able to frob key until he is dead. Doors that look like they should open but don't. Do i need a key ? Why don't i have any lock picks ? Is it a loader issue ? patch issue ? When there is no notes or creators don't say "hey i changed this stuff." It make me, and i suppose other people, not want to play at all.

I updated to latest patch i will try patriot another day

Zombified
    the very fist post, and a second post after zajazd's post say it is FMsel compatible. anyway, downloading now, will check.

//frobbing the keys will alert the guard, so you are either supposed to do something else, or just let the alert happen and continue from there. anyway, I'm very sure that whatever issues you have, they are not related to FMsel, so if something doesn't work, feel free to report it in the respective fan mission topic. also, someone maybe should tell the Patriot guys that 32bit lighting is a thing?
    Last edited by voodoo47; 16th Nov 2019 at 14:12.

thanks