TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most evil-looking aeroplanes

Quote Originally Posted by raph View Post
    ...the Ekranoplan...
    I have no words. It's amazing. That... Thing was actually deployed. 1987 to sometime in the late 90's.

US takes the cake for this one:

It looks like something an evil space empire would use.

Another Kelly Johnson baby.

It's been mentioned but I'm thinking this thread will not be complete without a pic of his masterpiece, probably the most iconic aircraft the US Air Force ever deployed: the SR-71 Blackbird

ZylonBane
    Some of you people are weird in the head. All these "evil" planes just look cool.

Darth Vader is cool and he's like space Hitler.

But yeah, evil isn't a word I'd use either here.

I guess I am most influenced by the purpose and capabilities of the aircraft.

Weapon systems used to destroy opposing forces on the battlefield can be scary, but they are necessary in war. Whereas there is something inherently evil about strategic weapons, especially WMD, and especially thermonuclear weapons that are designed to destroy an entire major city in one blast. So it's hard for me to think of something more evil than an airplane designed solely for the purpose of delivering multiple H-bombs to the other side of the planet as fast a possible.

That's why my second choice is the Tu-95 "Bear". It's not the scariest looking thing, but they routinely penetrate European and North American defended airspace and you never know whether they are carrying nukes or not. The same can be said for the Tu-160, but the Tu-95 gets more of a reaction from me. Those counter-rotating turboprops make an ungodly amount of noise because the propeller tips are supersonic, and their characteristic sound is easy to recognize. I live in New England not too far from the coast, and I know if I ever heard that sound it would be WW3.

Last edited by heywood; 19th Nov 2019 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by raph View Post
    It might be stretching the definition of plane, but the Ekranoplan was also a pretty intimidating mofo:
    It may not be an aeroplane but it a) looks enough like one, and b) does look very, very evil. Seriously, this could serve as a supervillain's mobile fortress as it is! *shiver*

Nitpick: "ekranoplan" is the Russian word for all ground-effect vehicles, a quick Web search has told me this particular monster is in fact called "Lun".

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    US takes the cake for this one:
    YMMV of course but I just cannot take the F-117 seriously, it looks as if it had been built in someone's back yard by a bloke who had no equipment for bending sheet metal.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Marecki View Post
    It may not be an aeroplane but it a) looks enough like one, and b) does look very, very evil.
    Does "evil" mean "ridiculously dorky" in your language?

If Calvinball was an airplane, this is what it would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    Sorry to continue the NAZI theme here but surely the He219 Night Fighter, with it's stylized Swastika whiskers, must receive dishonorable mention.

Those 'whiskers' are radar antennae. AFAIK they weren't intended to look like swastikas; Japanese night fighters used a similar design.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I guess I am most influenced by the purpose and capabilities of the aircraft.

Weapon systems used to destroy opposing forces on the battlefield can be scary, but they are necessary in war. Whereas there is something inherently evil about strategic weapons, especially WMD, and especially thermonuclear weapons that are designed to destroy an entire major city in one blast. So it's hard for me to think of something more evil than an airplane designed solely for the purpose of delivering multiple H-bombs to the other side of the planet as fast a possible.
    How about Project Pluto's Supersonic Low-Altitude Missile (SLAM)?

It was never actually built, but a testbed prototype of the engine- an unshielded nuclear thermal rocket- was built.

It was meant to fly, autonomously, at hypersonic speeds just above treetop level. It would irradiate the terrain and kill passersby with its Mach 3 shockwave, while dropping over a dozen nuclear munitions on pre-programmed targets. When it finished, it would kamikaze into a final target to spread as much radioactive contamination as possible.

It is quite possibly the most downright evil weapon concept that has ever existed.

Thank goodness we came to our senses and never built a nuclear powered air vehicle. ICBMs are bad enough, but can you imagine large numbers of nuclear UAVs loitering above the oceans until something breaks and they fall out of the sky with reactors at critical.

Now if only we could get the Russians to stop. Supposedly they've been flight testing a new nuclear powered cruise missile for the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    How about Project Pluto's Supersonic Low-Altitude Missile (SLAM)?

That looks like a dick with a dick.

Chakat sex pillow
    More like slam bam thank you ma'ams

Chakat sex pillow
    Also one of them has apparent phimosis. Was the bunker it was developed in called the frottage cottage

Lmao
    Also too bad this isn't a general aircraft thread, so I can't post my precious Cessna 172 with a cute custom livery

Is it an... evil livery?

I'd say quite the opposite

We could start another thread, or we could ask Marecki nicely if he'd be up for renaming this to something like "Post Your Aeroplane Pics" thread, and then we can post any aeroplane we like! It was kind of turning into that anyway, and there are some I'd still like to post.

Yeah ditto to that

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Some of you people are weird in the head. All these "evil" planes just look cool.
    Not mutually exclusive. If anything the two tend to go hand in hand (e.g. ME 262).

ZylonBane
    Leave it to Tony to think that evil looks cool.

Moderator and Priest
    When you're all saying "evil", what you really should be saying is "wicked phat boss."

So Lonestar, now you see that evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12