TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Half-Life: Alyx, "flagship VR game"

Syncing facial movements to dialogue (that "I'll be with you every step of the way" shot) is clearly still a problem firmly tethered to the uncanny valley. It's not that it's BAD by any stretch (you can see the work that's gone into it) -- but it's still so far from being GOOD.

The disembodied hands are super weird in a video trailer, but I imagine they feel pretty natural in VR.

Overall, the trailer looks nice!

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    They're probably hoping it shifts sales of their VR kit.
    Of the Index? Not likely. It's 900+!

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Imagine that you got your VR headset on, complete with headphones, and you're standing about in the middle of your game room, TOTALLY absorbed in the VIRTUAL REALITY EXPERIENCE.

Problem is, you don't realize just how into it you are until you knock yourself over after running face first into a wall.
    My "immersed in virtual reality" moment was when I leaned on a crate.

That wasn't there.

And fell onto the floor face first.

And henke:

I am also hyped.

Still Subjective
    Ok come on wtf is this thread pruning bs?

Moderator and Priest
    Things were said that couldn't be unsaid. Steps had to be taken.

Still Subjective
    Why don't you tell me more? I saw Eva's vagina comment, natch. PM me if you like.

It's interesting seeing the VR mechanics developed from Boneworks being implemented.
    Last edited by Thomas Smithe; 23rd Dec 2019 at 18:39.

To be honest, all the Boneworks footage always made me suspect that it was a secret Half-Life project, as there were quite a few similarities and some of the design work looked suspiciously like placeholder art (e.g. the enemies).

I agree, I believe the Boneworks team also received an early VR Vive Index so they could develop the game on it. Only 10 more days until release
    Last edited by Thomas Smithe; 21st Jan 2020 at 14:48.

What is that ship(?) in the final shot? With the wires coming off of it. Philadelphia experiment?

I'll be watching a lets play of it, me thinks. Not interested in VR.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

EDIT: The guy on the radio sounds like Rhys Darby. You can't escape that annoying motherfucker. I'm not saying this as kiwi experiencing culture cringe either, he's an unfunny annoyance who plays himself in everything.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 2nd Mar 2020 at 21:54.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh how very on-brand of you to be wrong about EVERYTHING including the wonderful Rhys Darby.

I mean...

right? RIGHT?

anyway HL:Alyx looks good.

ZylonBane
    I eagerly anticipate the inevitable immediately-C&D'd port of Alyx without the mandatory VR bits to the current Half-Life 2 engine as an unauthorized mod.

Be on torrent an hour later.

I haven't watched more than half a minute of the videos, since I don't want to spoil things too much for myself, but recent games - I'm thinking especially of Boneworks, which I've played, and The Walking Dead: Sinners & Saints, which I've watched some videos of (thanks, henke!) - have offered more physical interactions with enemies than what we're used to in regular first-person shooters. In Boneworks, I can for instance use whatever objects there are to keep an enemy at a distance: I could hold a baseball bat in one hand and use it to push an enemy against a wall while holding a gun in the other and shooting him, or I could grab a guy's head from behind, drag him to a locker and slam the locker door on his head repeatedly, or I can catch a I-can't-believe-it's-not-a-headcrab jumping at me by one of its spindly legs, hold it at a distance so it can't get to me and drag it to a nearby ledge and throw it off.

Because of the way your entire body is involved and the experience is less abstracted (pressing a key vs. holding something that's flailing at you, dragging it around and beating it with a plank of wood or similar), this feels very different. Or take climbing: while it's far from perfect, in Boneworks you climb by holding on to something, pulling yourself up, grabbing another ledge and pulling yourself towards it. You don't have to deal with your actual weight, inertia etc., but it's still much more immediate than holding the key that allows you to jump and mantle, and it's more systemic.

While that kind of thing can be replicated outside VR to some extent, it'll most likely be contextual and limited rather than fully systemic. I'm thinking (and hoping) that Alyx will offer that kind of more physical interaction with the world and enemies. If that is the case, something like Alyx can be replicated in Source, but there will still be considerable differences in the actual experience.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

GabeN interview.

Developer commentated walkthrough.

I know I've been away from the party for awhile.

I'm short of funds and really had to decide where to put my Canadian Monopoly money, Alyx won out over Doom and RE3 and a couple of others.

I don't know if anybody is hyped about this or not, but I just finished playing Black Mesa last week and watched a few documentaries on Youtube about half life and found that I was firmly in the mood for this.

So if anybody cares I'll share my thoughts after a few hours in game. Or... maybe after 20 minutes, because I haven't strapped my vive on for anything in months, and the only game I had been playing recently was Beat Saber, so I might be either retiring to nurse a headache, or trying not to puke my guts out. Hopefully I'll fall right back into it though.

Would love to hear any body else's experiences on day one, if you bought it already. Unlocks in about 30 minutes.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'd certainly love to hear your thoughts on it.

It's getting glowing reviews from the critics, and I'm kinda sorry I didn't preorder and get the 10% discount.

Tho I still haven't finished Walking Dead S&S, so I'm not sure I'm in the mood for this kinda thing at the moment.

Okay, first impressions, covering the first 45 minutes of the game or so. (I'll probably only continue over the weekend.)

Valve is back, baby. I've not seen more than perhaps two or three VR games that immediately feel this polished and this confident. They know what they're doing in terms of controls and interactivity, and they've done a gorgeous job of transferring City 17 into modern tech and VR. There's very little jank - mostly I'm just struck by how polished everything looks and feels, perhaps with the slightly negative point that like Valve around the time of Portal 2 had certain design tricks that made the games feel somewhat safe, for want of a better word. They clearly want the player to enjoy this, but there is a small degree of, perhaps not pandering but gentle hand-holding - though, hey, it's the first 45 minutes, it might let go a bit more later on.

But this does feel like Half-Life 2, and it's great to both slip back into this world that feels so familiar, yet it's made fresh by VR. I've played a number of games that looked and felt fine in terms of movement and scale, but this strikes me as *perfect* in those respects. Not a regular 2D game adapted to VR, but a VR game through and through. There's a small but pretty cool thing where you're given these gravity gloves and you can pull objects towards you by grabbing the air and flicking your hand backwards, which results in the tethered object flying towards you - but you still have to catch it. There's something that feels just perfect about flicking some ammo towards you with one movement and catching it with the same hand and stashing it behind your back.

As I've said, I'll probably only continue on Friday or so, but I'm already very much looking forward to returning to this. And I think I'll try to avoid videos and GIFs and the like, because while I'm looking forward to hearing how the gang here likes the game, I want to experience it all fresh without being spoiled.

Thirith is right.

Good Fucking God this Fucking game....
    I've been playing for about 2 hours now. Aesthetically it is a great melding of Half Life and HL2. Like from an art perspective. I've been playing Black Mesa, so my idea of what Xen is supposed to be is skewed right now because of their interpretation. The bits where you can see Xen sort of creeping into the world are 100% HL1, and it is just the perfect mix of homage and bringing the concept 20 years into the future.

I'm glad I skipped on Doom to buy this instead.

I could talk about how Valve does their usual magic as far as training the player, mixing in old familiar things to give you some visual queues if you're been playing Half Life for the last 22 years, but I'll talk about that later. The game has been out for all of a couple hours so I might as well wait and play some more after I eat.

So far the only gripe I have is a puzzle that sort of felt slightly out of place. The setting was great and the setup for the puzzle was stellar, but the puzzle itself felt a little bit like they tried to shoehorn Myst into Half Life for 5 minutes. I was so tempted to jump on reddit to find the solution because I just wasn't getting it, then through some trial and error and some very vague logic, I accidentally figured it out.

Once the gunplay really starts though. Well over an hour in, it starts to feel amazing. Dodging headcrabs is visceral and really fun. But the gunplay mechanics take a bit of getting used to.
    I found the shotgun really clunky for instance, and you don't get much time at all to figure out how to use it (read: literally seconds) before you have to use it proficiently. But maybe that was the design. I made it through that part without dying, and I felt really accomplished for it.

Like in Arizona Sunshine, being used to shooting real guns is ironically a real help here.

This game can't exist like this, in any way other format than VR. It would be boring.

I'm curious how you're playing it Thirith. I was worried that having a Vive would sour the experience. It's a BIT clunky, I was trying to save up for the Index controllers, if not the rest of it, but it was still too rich for me. Still is engaging and it doesn't feel at all like they ignored the old hardware just to sell the new.

I do this though. I gush and I have some rose tinted goggles on. So take my filthy valve whoring with a grain of salt, and eventually I'll start to be a bit more objective about it.

I've played a lot of VR games in the last 2 1/2 years. And while this thing isn't fundamentally different than other stuff I've played (if you've played Arizone Sunshine, or even Dead Effect 2 VR, this will be very familiar) But it is polished to a quality a couple orders of magnitude higher than either of those games, with just a little bit more attention to the detail of the world, and how you interact with it.

Meh! I'm going to eat then come back and keep playing.

FYI I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, and so far the only time I died was just now, because I was curious to see if it would let me jump off a ledge that was too high. I'm using blink for traversal, and the little icon literally showed a skull and crosbones, but I did it anyway and sure enough it let me kill myself. Nice.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    I'm using blink for traversal...
    How many methods of traversal are in the game? From what I've seen, it seems to only work with a point 'n click style setup. Does it give you the option to move about more like a regular FPS game, even at the risk of getting motion sick?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast