TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half-Life: Alyx, "flagship VR game"

Half-Life: Alyx, "flagship VR game"

Half-Life 3 confirmed! Of course, it can't actually be called that, because Valve doesn't do threes. I wonder what they're going with in terms of gameplay?

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/st...360387584?s=19

Still Subjective
    I've been saying for years - the next HL will be dependant upon having good VR. But if it's only on the Valve VR effort that'll be too expensive for most.

So we finally get a new Half-Life game, but it's VR only? That's just crap.

Not interested.
    Last edited by icemann; 18th Nov 2019 at 22:10.

ZylonBane
    I'm just going to assume it's a dating sim.

Moderator and Priest
    God, I hope it is. I've always wanted to make the sweet nasty with the gravity gun.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Valve said like 2 years ago that they're working on 3 big VR titles, glad to finally see one of them surfacing, and it's a Half-Life title? Cool! Considering Valve already has already put out 3 different VR headsets on the market, it's high time they made a game to go with em!

Well, this certainly is a departure from the genre of the cinematic see-saw puzzle game. Or is it?

Level 10,000 achieved

-Set between Half-Life and Half-Life 2.
    -Coming to Vive, Index, Rift, WMR.
    -March 2020.
    -I am hyped.

March 2020? That’s unexpectedly soon, but then again, they’ve probably been working on the for a while. Pretty excited - the trailer looks nice. The Half-Life world has never looked this good.

Moderator and Priest
    At the very least, it does a good job showing us what HL2 would look like in a modern engine.

Chakat sex pillow
    It does? I thought it was a nicely up-technicked version of Source, but clearly behind modern-day visuals in terms of things like lighting fidelity. Which is fine, because it's calibrated for VR and so performance is more important than graphical whiz-bang.

I'm more pleased with the shot of Alyx physically picking up ammunition off a shelf and loading it into the gun, there's a tactility to the physics that should feel very nice indeed during gameplay. If anything, the fidelity we're getting now along with the sheer number of objects/instances you can throw at a scene means people can spend more time picking stuff up and admiring it. Next-gen hypermart simulators are sure gonna be something!

My hope is that the main purpose of this is to gradually build up hype and interest in Half-Life again and after this we'll get the game we really want.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    It does? I thought it was a nicely up-technicked version of Source, but clearly behind modern-day visuals in terms of things like lighting fidelity. Which is fine, because it's calibrated for VR and so performance is more important than graphical whiz-bang.
    That shot of City 17 25 seconds in is using volumetric lighting effects well beyond anything oldschool Source is capable of. It's not absolute state of the art cutting edge, but the whole thing does look more modern in general.

ZylonBane
    More like Half-Life: Rayman amiright?

Moderator and Priest
    It has the hands, but it lacks kazoos.

It looks fun! But it's not enough to convince me to get a VR setup and look like 2015 Marty McFly while playing.

I don’t think I’ll ever get the “but I look silly!” thing. Gaming never makes you look like Adonis.

Moderator and Priest
    Imagine that you got your VR headset on, complete with headphones, and you're standing about in the middle of your game room, TOTALLY absorbed in the VIRTUAL REALITY EXPERIENCE.

Problem is, you don't realize just how into it you are until you knock yourself over after running face first into a wall.

...your whole family's there to witness your shame. They think you look like a complete chode. Your wife ends up serving you divorce papers. Your children disown you.

Happy birthday.

My wife punched me while she was in VR. I’m still with her. I have no sympathy whatsoever for your imagined family of dicks. And I wear the scars with pride.

Because if I didn’t, my wife might punch me again. Or “Let’s play Beat Saber!”, as she calls it.

Didn't know your name was Saber.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I don’t think I’ll ever get the “but I look silly!” thing. Gaming never makes you look like Adonis.
    Well, it’s not so much looking silly as it is looking silly while being completely unaware of your surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post

-Set between Half-Life and Half-Life 2.
    -Coming to Vive, Index, Rift, WMR.
    -March 2020.
    -I am hyped.
    I dunno. The trailer has a lot of jump scares, reminded me of Doom 3.

I don’t think that video is different in terms of jump scares from good old Half-Life 2.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I've been saying for years - the next HL will be dependant upon having good VR. But if it's only on the Valve VR effort that'll be too expensive for most.
    They're probably hoping it shifts sales of their VR kit. And I don't expect that plan to work in any appreciable manner.

Not only do people have to have the money for the VR kit on top of a PC capable of handling it, they also need the apropriate amount of space and spacing of walls for sensors. And then they have to want to spend that money and space on a VR setup instead of something else.

While I’m sure they want to sell the Index, they also benefit from sales to other VR platforms, and there the hurdle is much lower, whether you’re looking at the Oculus Rift S, Quest or any of the WMR headsets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast