TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

As some of you may know the forever-anticipated FF7 remake is finally happening! Being one of my first "Favorite games ever" growing up (ok I was a stupid kid when I first played it so my rose tinted glasses apply hush), I am actually really interested.

Here's a SiliconEra article outlining some of the changes:

• official title is Final Fantasy VII Remake. Square Enix thought about adding some kind of subtitle that is related to the game’s story, but they decided not to, since they didn’t want to give the wrong idea of it being some kind of “Legends” or a sequel-type game. They thought of different ideas, but in the end, they figured that having “Remake” in the official title would make it easiest to understand.
    • Final Fantasy VII Remake will be done in multiple parts, rather than a single entry. The reason for this is because doing a full remake of Final Fantasy VII using today’s technology would be a lot of work. Kitase felt that having the “voluminous” feeling you get from Final Fantasy VII wouldn’t be able to work with just a single title for an HD remake.
    • Nomura also commented on the subject saying that they would also have to make a lot of cuts if they decided to make it all under one title, and they would have no choice but to make it into a Final Fantasy VII “digest,” and they felt that it would be pointless to do a full remake if they were going to do just that.
    • For example, you’ll get to explore various parts of Midgar that you weren’t able to in the original version; however, in order to do that, it would need to be pretty dense. Of course, that also means that some parts will be cut from the game, but overall they’re adding much more to it.
    • As far as models go, Visual Works director is taking care of it, but they’re also getting a lot of help from external sources. Roberto Ferrari, the Italian designer for Square Enix, is focusing his work on sub-characters like Biggs and the others that we saw in the recent trailer. Additionally, Square Enix will get help for roles such as programmers, planners, and other core members from external companies.
    • Some of the other companies that will be helping include CyberConnect2, who’ve also helped in the development of Final Fantasy VII: G-Bike.
    • Kitase says that CyberConnect2 have experience and great knowhow in action games, and he feels that they have a special sense for cinematics; however, since their production “taste” is different from that of Square Enix’s, along with some complaints from Nomura, they decided to make the latest trailer closer to their own style.
    • The characters we saw in the recent trailer looked very close to actual humans, and Nomura says that it’s their current goal to make it as realistic as possible.
    • Square Enix is not using models from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, as it’s something from over 10 years ago, meaning that its technology is too old, and that it looks a bit too “deformed” when they look at it now. For the remake’s visuals, they’ve done numerous adjustments and balances between realistic and deformed parts of eyes, nose, hair, and other parts. They were finally able to settle on something they all liked.
    • Everything that was shown in the latest trailer is from in-game footage, and not pre-rendered material. After the camera goes close up on Cloud when he’s on the train, it’ll throw you right into the game. Nomura says that as far as quality goes, they’re still brushing up on it, and they’re only going to keep making it look better from here.
    • Famitsu mentions that Cloud looks a bit thin in the video, but Nomura says that it’s likely due to lighting, and also because of his pale skin.
    • Next, they ask if that means we’ll get to see Cloud in his cross-dressing appearance. Nomura responds with a laugh saying yes, the cross-dressing scene is in the game, but they haven’t done the design for it yet.
    • Square Enix was originally going to go with Barret’s Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children design, but they decided on going with a new design from scratch. Nomura says that they’ve wanted to make all the party members revamped from the beginning.
    • When asked whether the battle system will be closer to Kingdom Hearts or Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Nomura says “if anything, it’s action,” and it’s completely different from Crisis Core. It might not be as much of an action title as say Dissidia Final Fantasy on arcade or the Kingdom Hearts series, but it leans more towards there.
    • There is an ATB gauge, but it won’t be like the original version where you get to attack when the gauge fills up, but an action-based system that can only be done through the Final Fantasy VII Remake. Kitase says that they may even change the name to something else other than ATB. Nomura also teases that the part you’ll want to pay attention to is how “the ATB gauge may also turn red.”
    • Parties will consist of three members, and you’ll get to freely switch between the characters, but it won’t be a requirement, as you can stay as the same character for the entire time.
    • As far as the battle tempo goes, Nomura wants to make it close to that of Dissidia Final Fantasy on arcade. He says that what we saw in the trailer is simply the base of Final Fantasy VII Remake’s battle system, and that he’s currently thinking of some kind of original structure for the battle system that adds a strategic element, in the midst of being able to switch through characters, an action that involves more than simply hitting enemies.
    To be honest, I would have prefered a more direct remake rather than a re-imaging. I'm not too keen on more freeform exploration given the modern gaming trends and SquareEnix's recent titles. Normally I'd love new content, but I just fear it will be crappy fluff or fetchquests detracting from the game. Also not sold on Episodic content, fearing it will break the game flow a little and potentially create annoying pauses between installments. Lastly, would've preferred a traditional jRPG turn-based combat; wasn't keen on Kingdom Hearts' real time system and AI-controlled party :/

Barret looks eh, but I like the whole overall new Style; I feel it does a good job of taking the original image to HD, epseically cloud (They nailed the hair), Biggs/Wedge, Shinra soldiers and the gloomy oppressive Midgar.

But all these complaints mostly stem from implementation concerns, so here's to hoping Square manages to actually pull it off correctly and make me re-live my 10year old's excitement without making me feel like a dumb 10year old kid for enjoying it

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, as someone who doesn't care for jRPG turn based combat, this is looking pretty good! Might turn out to be an FF game I actually wanna play, tho I'm still more interested in the boyband roadtrip one.

I have to admit it does look good. I've got the original FF7 but could never get into it - as it turns out I'm not a fan of turn-based combat either, though I guess I was never going to know that until I gave it a try. If Remake is doing away with that then I might be more interested.

Yeah, I'm not sure on this one yet. I lost all interest in Final Fantasy very quickly but I know how loved the franchise is and I also know how big of a deal Remake is for a lot of gamers - the reaction at E3 seemed insane! I'll need to read up on Remake a bit more but even if I end up not bothering with it, I'm really happy for all the fans out there and I hope they get the top quality game they're waiting for.

Final Fantasy 7 is one of those games that passed me by. I played FF8 and found it fascinating but pretty much incomprehensible, and I ended up enjoying FF10 on the PS2 mainly because of Stockholm Syndrome - after playing for 20+ hours, it was either enjoying it or giving myself a lobotomy. (Or not finishing it, but that's almost never an option for me.) Also, I did like the music and that weird space whale thing. FF12 is still waiting to be played.

I'm curious to see how the FF7 remake turns out, and I'm partly hoping to finally have that experience of The Saddest Video Game Death Ever, after having read so much about it.

From memory, Cyberconnect2 did some of the work on the .Hack GU games. I recall the name.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Well what they showed it in that first trailer featured A. running down corridors and B. FFXIII-esque combat. So if we're getting FF VII retold with FF XIII's shit trappings then it fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I ended up enjoying FF10 on the PS2 mainly because of Stockholm Syndrome - after playing for 20+ hours, it was either enjoying it or giving myself a lobotomy.
    Haha, I kinda hit that point, but then ragequit when I hit a really tough boss who would always, halfway through the battle, use a scripted attack that instantly obliterated my whole party. I watched LPs to finish the story but some of the bosses after seemed even worse. Thank god I got out

I'm curious to see how the FF7 remake turns out, and I'm partly hoping to finally have that experience of The Saddest Video Game Death Ever, after having read so much about it.
    I'm curious how they will handle it. It was really impactful back in the day due to its unexpectedness, but less so these days. Wonder if they'll stick to the same script or try to change it up...

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Well what they showed it in that first trailer featured A. running down corridors and B. FFXIII-esque combat. So if we're getting FF VII retold with FF XIII's shit trappings then it fuck off.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by yakoob
    Being one of my first "Favorite games ever" growing up (ok I was a stupid kid when I first played it so my rose tinted glasses apply hush), I am actually really interested.
    Don't dismiss it as some childhood mistake/stupidity. It's a very charming game. We're lucky to have experienced the games of our time. The art and soundtrack are top-tier. Story doesn't make a lot of sense but it is charming and interesting in its own right. Gameplay isn't particularly notable but it does the job. It has a special place in my heart and this shit can fuck right off. There's no need for a fucking remake, the original was fine as it is. Seriously, ask yourself how it can be improved without losing what made it special, and what even needs improving? The only good thing that can come from this is the tears of the fanboys screaming for a remake over the years. If it were a team dedicated to handling it with care and faithfulness I'd be accepting, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Shit looks abysmal already.

All that could be improved is tweaks to game systems & better battle graphics. Everything else is art not to be fucked with.

These need not be touched:

Last edited by GMDX Dev; 13th Dec 2015 at 05:48.

verbose douchebag
    Erm, just keep playing the original then? A re-make doesn't erase the past, so even if it tanks, it's a net loss of precisely nothing.

It may not erase it, but it can override it. Players of the future may gravitate to the remake than the original. And it's the fucking principle, ya know? Think of something you hold dear to you, then picture some talent-less hacks remaking it in their shitty vision to milk the IP. This companies' core teams can't make games for shit if the past few years have show anything.

verbose douchebag
    So? The gaming industry doesn't exist to fluff the pillows of people who remember the good old days. If the IP can be milked, then they'll milk it - it's the fucked up investor-driven model that accounts for most of the modern world's bullshit decisions and it isn't going away. I guess whiners are going to whine though.

Look at it this way, if it isn't as good as the original, but is still good, then that is a net gain. The worst case scenario is that new gamers will not discover the original - what is the long lasting and tragic effect of this? A lot of new music listeners don't listen to early Cure, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    The gaming industry doesn't exist to fluff the pillows of people who remember the good old days.
    I dont know why but I found this comment quite awesome

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    If the IP can be milked, then they'll milk it - it's the fucked up investor-driven model that accounts for most of the modern world's bullshit decisions and it isn't going away.
    And people shouldn't complain?
    Didn't need to be said either way. I was ranting at "the man". Let me rant.

verbose douchebag
    It's a bug bear of mine - people complaining that a newer version of something will "ruin" it.
    If the old version is still there, then nothing has changed if you ignore the new one. If the new one gets new people interested in the IP, that's still a good thing, even if in your opinion it's an inferior product. It might not be inferior to them and they have as much right to enjoy their hobby as much as you do.

True, it can have its benefits, but shitty needless remakes are a bug bear of mine.

verbose douchebag
    Who is forcing you to play them or buy them?
    Paradoxically, if you don't buy or play them, how can you know they're shitty?

I dont think this is the time or place to be making sense!

Don't be so pedantic, you're picking a fight now. Again, I was ranting.
    I cannot determine anything with 100% certainty of course, but remember, this is modern times goddamn it. Also, company that can't make good games for shit so far and every one of their products have been massive compromises. Lastly, the video is telling. See EvaUnit's post.

One more thing: anything that touches Uematsu's compositions is going to be shit by default to me because I have a great fondness of the originals. It will be difficult to judge them by their own merits.
    Last edited by GMDX Dev; 13th Dec 2015 at 10:25.

verbose douchebag
    Maybe it's not for you then? Maybe it's just something to make great IP accessible to people who don't have the nostalgia to get them past the '90s production values?
    I'm not picking a fight, I'm just wondering why anyone cares? If it's rubbish, it'll tank. If it's good and not to your liking, it'll do well and you'll still have the original to play. Who loses out?

"I'm just wondering why anyone cares"

Emotional attachment. I was 9 or so years old when I first played this, and it is quite a moving game.
    Watch the System Shock community bare arms if the SS1 remake is found to be another Bioshock.
    Last edited by GMDX Dev; 13th Dec 2015 at 11:32.

I just hope they stick to the gameplay (combat wise) of the original, and don't go in a more action-RPG direction.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by GMDX Dev View Post
    "I'm just wondering why anyone cares"

Emotional attachment. I was 9 or so years old when I first played this, and it is quite a moving game.
    Watch the System Shock community bare arms if the SS1 remake is found to be another Bioshock.
    It's also a big part of my gaming history, which is why I'm OK with there being a remake - it's nice to a see a game that good get some attention. If the re-make isn't up to snuff, it won't alter my happy memories of playing the game or prevent me from playing the original, which runs fine from Steam. If the SS1 community get bulging forehead veins in response to a re-make, that's their issue - exactly the same logic applies. It seems a bit petty to treat IP as "sacred" and untouchable by people who didn't even have a hand in making it.

"it won't alter my happy memories of playing the game or prevent me from playing the original, which runs fine from Steam"

Hmm, doesn't the PC version have an inferior MIDI soundtrack? The soundtrack is almost half the experience it's that strong, fuck playing it with MIDI music. Presumably there's a fix for this issue though given the glory of PC?

If the SS1 community get bulging forehead veins in response to a re-make, that's their issue - exactly the same logic applies.
    "nah"

There can only be a net gain if it's good, otherwise it's a loss. If it is not good it stains the name, wastes your time and money, and quite possibly pisses you off by shitting on something dear to you.
    Last edited by GMDX Dev; 13th Dec 2015 at 18:37.

verbose douchebag
    How can it possibly be a loss!?

"Oh no, my System Shock install no longer works because a more recent version has been released somewhere"

Getting your hopes up for it whilst it is in development and spending your time in its wake as we are now?
    By then paying for shit?
    Wasting your time playing it?
    Getting pissed off whilst playing it because it's shit?
    Knowing gamers, you then go to forums to bash the game?
    Then there's the whole principle of it and the rape of art. Game doesn't even need a remake, especially not in any modern Square-Enix driven vision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast