TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thief 3 ESRGAN Attemt

Quick test of some upscaled textures
    https://mega.nz/#!cpc1jC5B!UcWHLE6fB...IKlOyD7gnGugN8

The vanilla textures are not so good in quality, so it differs from file to file. For the good looking textures they upscale quite well (CASdoor for example).
    I first using DXT artifact removal model with PNG as an output file. After ESRGAN with different models and converting back to DDS. DDS is killing some quality, but this is the only way.

Also I found how to load MatLib files into editor and look for Material Info. There are specular maps and reflection maps used in some textures, so the engine supports it. If only we could hack matlib and insert own data.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Looking forward to seeing a full set in-game.

Can you post the names of the materials you found, which have specular/reflection maps?

I tried drawing heavy white/black lines over GARbowmetalgriphi_S.dds, but although the file is accessed by the game during start-up, I can't see a difference at all (assuming it's used on Garrett's bow, of course).

Example of good looking Thief 3 texture upscaling
    https://imgsli.com/MTExNTY

For some reason not all the textures in Thief 3 looks well.
    I think I will upscale about 400 of the world diffuse textures and upload them for tests.
    I'll test specular/reflection maps myself.

My theory is - original Thief 3 textures were not the original. Developers took some low-scale textures and upscaled them twice with little filtering. This can explain the results and why ESRGAN can't improve pictures much.
    For test I'll make try next algorithm:
    1. DXT-BC artifact removal
    2. Downscaling 2x
    3. Upscaling with ESRGAN.
    Let's see the differences between two versions.

Not only that, but movies clearly were made by different people in different time with different encoding options. Some were badly resized like ThiefTrailerNoESRB_engl_none_30 and drepts_tale_engl_none_30, introducing visible lines artifacts.
    I'll try to fix some issues, but it's impossible.

In drepts_tale_engl_none_30 there is interesting square bug in first part of the video, will try to remove it by hand in several frames.
    https://imgur.com/undefined
    On the center of the screen near the candle. It's in the original video too. I think they tried to apply some post-effect and missed that

I couldn't see the specular effect on the bow either.
    So the only thing we need is normal maps for everything. Cause game looks very flat on textures without them.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Quote Originally Posted by Akven View Post
    Example of good looking Thief 3 texture upscaling
    That does look very good.

Broken link?

I couldn't see the specular effect on the bow either.
    So the only thing we need is normal maps for everything. Cause game looks very flat on textures without them.
    Right, I'll have a go at that.

Yeah, was broken link
    https://imgur.com/JVl8FIK

Proof of low resolution concept
    ESRGAN 4x vs ESRGAN 2x
    https://imgsli.com/MTExNTk/1/2

I preprocessed images by DXT-BC 1x removal model and downscaled them 2x of their size.
    After that I ESRGANed them, getting 4x upscale (so it is 2x from the original size)
    And now the comparison: 2x texture (1024x1024) looking better than 4x texture (2048x2048)

This is vanilla vs ESRGAN 4x texture. ESRGAN even can't do anything because developers used upscaled textures
    https://imgsli.com/MTExNTk/0/1

Recreation of additional details from vanilla to 2x
    https://imgsli.com/MTExNTk/0/2

Now it's getting more complicated because I need to upscale every texture twice and see if there will be improvement in 2x mode. So a lot of hand work as always.
    Some textures can be improved by combining in photoshop parts of 2x and 4x upscales (like wooden signs with different quality of wood frame and sign itself).

P.S. Also I think we need to use minimaps. First of all Collective Texture Pack uses them.
    Second - I read about minimaps and it seems they improve perfomance of the game. The cost is increazed texture size for about 1/3. But since a lot of textures will be 2x instead of 4x - I can allow that.

Interesting example of combining 2x and 4x results. I found that wooden frame upscaled 4x just excellent. But painting was really ugly (clearly developers used upscaled low-resolution painting with normal looking wood texture).
    So I combined wood from 4x upscale and painting from 2x upscale. And it's looking much better that just 4x upscale.
    Vanilla vs combined 4x image
    https://imgsli.com/MTExOTQ

Sneaky Upgrader
    Apparently artificial intelligence still needs some assistance from non-artificial intelligence, but the end result is impressive.

Looking good, thanx for all the hard work

Edited 77 frames in drepts_tale_engl_none_30 video, removed strange square light box post-effect.
    https://imgsli.com/MTEyMDk

Sneaky Upgrader
    Some success with adding normal maps: (GIF, should animate.)

This is GENfloorA_D with a renamed GENfloorC_N.dds added, via an external .mlb file. It's going to take a small tool to produce the override .mlb from a list of map names, but it looks promising.

I first tried modifying the material info in memory while reading in the .ibt files - would have been nicer because you'd only need to supply .dds files following a naming convention - but unfortunately it crashes...

Excellent.
    I upscaled 254 textures so far. Can upload them for tests tomorrow. (There are about 488 world textures ingame not counting normal maps). Also upscaled 11 movies out of 22.

BTW, how to create screenshots in Thief 3? Print Screen is not working. And what is the magic with Bloom setting overriding Multisampling setting in menu (I can only get Bloom with Multisampling: 1 or Multisampling 16 but without Bloom)?

Sneaky Upgrader
    Looking great...

BTW, how to create screenshots in Thief 3? Print Screen is not working.
    The SneakyTweaker has a page providing some options for screenshots. If you find that those don't work either, then something must have changed in Windows. (I'm a couple of versions behind.)

And what is the magic with Bloom setting overriding Multisampling setting in menu (I can only get Bloom with Multisampling: 1 or Multisampling 16 but without Bloom)?
    Yes, bloom and multisampling are mutually exclusive. It's probably an artificial restriction for performance reasons anno 2004. I tried once to remove it but it didn't work out.

For Multisampling I think I can force it from driver.
    Will look screenshot options in the evening
    Also I want to test how Thief 3 will work with Reshade

Sneaky Upgrader
    Now that the .mlb files are somewhat understood, it's possible to add more than just normals:

I tried adding more components for the floor above, in the form of all-black and all-white textures. There was a visible effect for all map types except Mask, Bump and FX. (FX is not used at all in the game.)

Unless you're interested in experimenting with some of those other map types I'll limit the matlib-generating tool to work with diffuse, normal and specular. (It'll take a bit of time but hopefully a first version can be ready next weekend.)

Edit: The GARbowmetalgriphi_S texture is used as the Mask component on Garret's bow - must be why changes didn't show up. The bow grip does have specular (specular03) but it's not very visible.

I found how to do screenshots. Honestly, there are not so much changes with textures, mostly changes are visible up close. But I didn't upscaled everything, not yet.

I can automate creation of normal maps, but for other things we'll need to use some additional software. For specular I can use AwesomeBump, but it can create textures only one by one, not automated.

And just to be clear, that is the priority of creating additional maps? And meaning of the maps itself:
    Diffuse - texture itself
    Normal - easily automated
    Specular - it is reflection of highlighted areas in texture, useful for metal and so on. In AwesomeBump I can change the amount of strength for this one (metals are more highlighted, wood is not and so on).
    Detail - some high noise texture for adding additional details in UE when looking upclose.
    Emissive - judging from the google - it is self-shining of the texture (lights/windows)
    Reflection - map for the surrounding reflected in texture, but as I understand you could just use copy of specular map for reflection
    Last edited by Akven; 22nd Jan 2020 at 15:46.

https://imgsli.com/MTEyNjQ
    There is clearly a bug in texture filtration ingame or with normal/any other map for the stone texture to the left side of the screen.

Sneaky Upgrader
    That does look rather bad - I think it's partially due to the texture scale, but mostly because of the weird blockiness. Looking at the texture files (GENrockA) it seems to be present mostly in the normal map, so if you've upscaled the existing one then it may be better to regenerate it from the upscaled diffuse instead?

Yes, is was artifacts in normal map in the original game.
    Test from the distance vanilla vs ESRGAN (not much differences)
    https://imgsli.com/MTEyNzk

Test upclose
    Vanilla vs Just upscaled diffuse maps
    https://imgsli.com/MTEyNzk/2/3

Vanilla vs Generated left normal map and upscaled right normal map
    https://imgsli.com/MTEyNzk/2/4

ESRGAN Diffuse vs ESRGAN Diffuse+Normal
    https://imgsli.com/MTEyNzk/3/4

I'd like to see how this screen would look like with specular map added (DOCwall512B and GENrockA textures).

As for my opinion:
    Good looking normal textures should be just upscaled (they upscale perfectly with splitting to three images by RGB channels and upscaling them one by one with greyscale ESRGAN model and then merging back). Ugly looking and missing normal maps should be regenerated. As I tested - ESRGAN do not generate normal maps very well, so I used Awesome Bump program for generation. It generate speculars as well. It even had batch mode.

Sneaky Upgrader
    For the time being, here's a couple of override .mlb files, which will add a specular map to those two textures. The included speculars are placeholders, but enough to see an effect. Just extract the files in the mod you're using for testing and after verifying that it's working, replace the *_S.dds files with something useful.

MLB files definitely works, but it seems I'm not so good at creating speculars If it is speculars they contain)
    But hadn't much time yesterday, need to test more. I'm continuing to upscale (about 400 diffuses are ready and 2 more videos).
    Videos are the longest process:
    -5-15 minutes to decode bik to png
    -1-2 hours for ESRGAN dejpeg model
    -3-5 hours for ESRGAN upscale model
    -30-60 minutes to convert png to lossless x264
    -2-4 hours for filtering and final encoding
    If I need to manually correct artifacts or use deinterlace +1-2 hours

Textures are faster, but it is a boring process:
    I'm using 7 ESRGAN models (Skyrim textures, Skyrim weapon textures, Manga109, Manga109 Improved, Rocks and my own ThiefGold and ThiefGoldMod), so I get 7 results for every texture (14 actually, 7 variants are from preliminarily downscaled by 0.5x original textures). So I need to choose subjectively from 14 variants which looks the best and close to vanilla and combine/edit them if needed. Most of the time I use my own models cause I think they look better in most cases.

Also I always use DXT-BC artifacts removal model.
    For normals I can use special normal upscale model or split RGB channels and use special alpha greyscale upscale model. Second choice looks better I think. Special alpha greyscale upscale model also can be used to split and upscale alpha from textures.

Sneaky Upgrader
    That's a lot of work...

I'm not too optimistic about specular maps etc. There's some data in the .mlb files that I haven't figured out, and which could well affect the appearance of the various components. You can't access those values in the editor, so I guess that old version of 3DSMax for that. Normals could be affected too, so I'll have another look at those.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast