TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Top STUFF of the 2010s

Top STUFF of the 2010s

Probably Top 10 movies would have been more gooder of a title, but seeing how there's no mention of the passing decade, I thought I might as well create one, and also expand it beyond cinema. If there is one - well shit.

While at cinema though, I saw very few movies this decade, even as the youngster I am. For the obvious nominee or even winner, Joker was visually appeal"ing, but given what we know of the Joker's character, he was rather low in wit this time around. In a way that makes him more relatable for the majority, but not the glorious master troll he used to be.

For other things, I guess the obvious would be:
    - Elon D. Musk, our Earthly Pirate King, ispiraton of just about everyone, (likely excluding the far left vagabonds).
    - The rise of Pew D. Pie, The King of the only worthwhile big website on The Internet. Was awfully fun to watch, especially during the brilliantly marketed T-series meme. Kinda sad, that it got so much hype that even rando normie terrorists started to shout his word, because that gave enough societal pressure to kill the glorious meme.
    - Nate Higgs was born and born to rule the world.

Adios.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm mildly concerned that a list of top 'STUFF' contains three people in it, but I guess given the names mentioned, two of them really aren't doing a good job of being, you know, people. I hope Pew D. Pie suffers a massive coronary one of these days from playing a Frictional game, and someone should issue Elon a social media gag order. Or just gag him, I don't care. He may be doing cool and interesting things, but he's also a roving douchemobile.

Also, who is this ten year old Nate Higgs that was born and why is he a person of the decade.

The Joker would be my favorite movie of the 10s. Trump's rise to Power would be the biggest world news bit.

The large rise in political correctness and cancel culture would be another.
    Last edited by icemann; 4th Dec 2019 at 03:16.

Ah yes, the bullshit narrative largely supported by anecdotes that usually fall apart by the slightest amount of scrutiny.

To be honest, I'm not sure whether a lot of highlights actually started from the 2000s or 2010s, there's so little to distinguish the two decades.

I'm looking at the list of movies of the decade, and all of the usual suspects are in some way greatly flawed.

The ones I liked are going to be marginal indies and art pieces, so don't really qualify as "top stuff".

But anyway here's my list (in alphabetical order): Coherence, Computer Chess, Death of Stalin, Embrace of the Serpent, Ida, Kumiko the Treasure Hunter, Mustang, Norte the End of History, Spotlight, Moon, Victoria, and The Witch.

And for TV shows, let's see: Atlanta, Better Call Saul, Black Mirror, Black Sails, The Book of Negroes, Chernobyl, Cobra Kai, Enlightened, Fargo S1, Game of Thrones (Seasons 1-5), Genius, The Handmaid's Tale, Hatfields & McCoys, Halt and Catch Fire, Twin Peaks the Return, Mad Men, Man in the High Castle, Narcos, Russian Doll, Silicon Valley, Stranger Things, True Detective S1, Walking Dead S1-S6, Westworld S1.

My list of games are in another thread.

And personalities & world events ... is that really something we're ranking now?
    Last edited by demagogue; 5th Dec 2019 at 21:47. Reason: Added link to another thread

Elon Musk is a great SALESMAN, not a genius engineer. His businesses are based on selling dreams while exploiting corporate welfare.

PDP I tried watching once out of curiousity and found him extremely annoying.

TV is worth calling out as a positive because early-mid 2010's television drama had a resurgence that was great while it's lasted. Lately offerings have been week although there's some potential from Mandalorian and (less likely but possible) Witcher.

If we're talking just physical "stuff"...I don't know how to break this down into individual things but my favorite trend is that demand has driven better availability of quality food. It's no longer difficult to find organic produce or non-factory farmed meat, even if they can be pricey.

The other thing that has exploded this decade is offline gaming. Both RPGs like Pathfinder/D&D and board games like Zombicide, Gloomhaven, etc. have experienced over 20x growth and that form of entertainment is in a golden age. There's so much good shit there that "top 10" for that category alone is hard to pick.

Ah yes, the bullshit narrative largely supported by anecdotes that usually fall apart by the slightest amount of scrutiny.
    "If it doesn't personally effect me, it doesn't exist!".

Except that all the handwringing about the snowflake generation of authoritarian SJW leftists has been shown to be just that, a narrative without any substance to it.

Moderator and Priest
    "I went to this synagogue the other day, and started screaming about how the holocaust was just a big ole lie! Next thing I know, I'm getting screamed at by all these triggered SJWs, and the cops came, and took me to jail! I thought this country had freedom of speech! WE LIVE IN A CULTURAL MARXIST DYSTOPIA!"

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Elon Musk is a great SALESMAN, not a genius engineer.
    My opinion of Elon Musk?

Smart guy. Makes cool stuff. Doesn't know when to shut the fuck up.

TV Shows for me - Cobra Kai, Twin Peaks, The Walking Dead (regardless of the quality drop in more recent seasons), Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad.

Still Subjective
    The Expanse, Marvelous Miss Maisel, The Good Fight, Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones, Black Mirror.

Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, Edge of Tomorrow, Inception, Upstream Color, Annihilation, Ex Machina, After Earth.

Gunship: Gunship, Gunship: Dark All Day, Carbon Based Life Forms: Derelicts.

God of War, The Witness, FTL, GTA V, Batman Arkham City, Dishonored. Hyperlight Drifter, Company of Heroes 2.

Pardon, I didn't really mean movies and people, I was just being uncreative. Nate Higgs was a not very funny joke also.

To add to my list (not too creatively again), I think the series Inside No 9 was such a good hidden gem, that I consider that to be also one of the best things of some category (TV maybe) of 2010s.

The downgrading of most of the internet to a few main websites, half of which are social media has also been a big thing (as much as I dislike it).

For games, Dishonored and The Witness have probably been my favorites.
    Last edited by Thor; 5th Dec 2019 at 00:34.

TOP FIVE synthesizers of the 2010s:

Korg MS20 Mini
    Korg Minilogue
    Intellijel Shapeshifter
    Make Noise 0-Coast
    Moog DFAM, maybe? (not sure; I don't own this one)

top live show 2013, The Pig and Whistle with me playing Lover Lover to an aftermatch soccer team. And yes that was the actual name of the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    TOP FIVE synthesizers of the 2010s:

Korg MS20 Mini
    Korg Minilogue
    Intellijel Shapeshifter
    Make Noise 0-Coast
    Moog DFAM, maybe? (not sure; I don't own this one)
    Good list, although the Hydrasynth is going to just slip in at the end here and overtake most, maybe all, of those IMO (depending on what one values in a synth). I'd drop the Shapeshifter to let it in that list. Also I'd add the Neutron and drop maybe the Mini. Make the Moog a Grandmother. And I still want to throw in the Minibrute and Prophet 12 for good measure.

the only one out of those i have played is the minikorg ms20, pretty good i must admit.

I'm no musician, but I discovered the Minilogue when shopping for a keyboard for the family to play with. That's a toy I could play with for days on end. I didn't buy it but I was very tempted.

Since we're taking some liberties in this thread, I'll offer 10 general trends in STUFF that I have appreciated since 2010:
    - You can find almost anything on a legit streaming site now
    - Smart phones finally became smart
    - Indie gaming got a lot bigger and better (or maybe I just started paying more attention)
    - Sci-fi made a comeback
    - Windows finally became decent (technically, Win7 did come out in late 2009)
    - Tablets killed off netbooks
    - Cloud computing
    - Machine learning
    - Sensor-based safety systems in cars
    - Going cashless

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Good list, although the Hydrasynth is going to just slip in at the end here and overtake most, maybe all, of those IMO (depending on what one values in a synth). I'd drop the Shapeshifter to let it in that list. Also I'd add the Neutron and drop maybe the Mini. Make the Moog a Grandmother. And I still want to throw in the Minibrute and Prophet 12 for good measure.
    The Hydrasynth does look very cool. It ticks all the boxes, but after watching some demos of it, I wondered if, ironically, it might actually be too much. Usually I'm more productive with gear that has limitations.

The MS20 Mini was my first synth and is still my favourite; I mostly just make ambient and drone music these days, but the MS20's in pretty much all of it.

As for the Shapeshifter, it's the odd choice, I admit, but it's so much fun to explore, and the sounds it makes are definitely unique. You can do bizarre stuff like use the second oscillator as an LFO to control the amount of oscillator one phase modulating itself, and then do logic operations on the output. A lot of the time you just get noise because the parameters can go really deep, but if you can rein it in, it's pretty incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    - Going cashless
    Very true if you live in a place like Sweden or other EU countries. Things like contactless payment have made paying for things very fast and convenient. Not to mention the rise of e-commerce and all the e-government stuff that has been getting traction. Being able to buy train tickets to your mobile phone or do government business without any of the bureaucracy involved is quite handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    I wondered if, ironically, it might actually be too much. Usually I'm more productive with gear that has limitations.
    Oh I understand that. I think that's one reason I'm so obsessed with VCV Rack right now. It's just the bare modules you pop in one at a time that just do the one little thing they do, and you layer them up. I like the kind of handheld simplicity of the 0-Coast too, if I were going to get anything like that. Still though, I'm saving up for the Hydrasynth. An intuitive UI does more for me than the other things, and I'm more of a performer so the strip & aftertouch, and the fact you can plug anything into the front knobs so easily, are all too dreamy to pass up.

I ousted the Mini & Shapeshifter because I don't know anything about them. So I don't really have an opinion on them & you can take my ousting with a grain of salt! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Very true if you live in a place like Sweden or other EU countries. Things like contactless payment have made paying for things very fast and convenient. Not to mention the rise of e-commerce and all the e-government stuff that has been getting traction. Being able to buy train tickets to your mobile phone or do government business without any of the bureaucracy involved is quite handy.
    Setting aside the 3rd world, is there anyplace where you can't do all of this? Serious question, because my impression is that it's been adopted everywhere now.

If you're talking about contactless payments in particular, there's still small-time vendors here and there with decade old hardware that can't handle RFID.

Anyway, the last place I visited where I had to have cash on hand was Japan in 2008, because some of the smaller restaurants and shops couldn't handle Western payment processors for whatever reason. Eh, let me backtrack that a little bit. The last time I really needed to carry cash was this autumn when I took my kids to the local county fair. But the last time I visited a state/country/region where I felt the need to cash up before going out to explore was Japan, last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Setting aside the 3rd world, is there anyplace where you can't do all of this? Serious question, because my impression is that it's been adopted everywhere now.

If you're talking about contactless payments in particular, there's still small-time vendors here and there with decade old hardware that can't handle RFID.

Anyway, the last place I visited where I had to have cash on hand was Japan in 2008, because some of the smaller restaurants and shops couldn't handle Western payment processors for whatever reason. Eh, let me backtrack that a little bit. The last time I really needed to carry cash was this autumn when I took my kids to the local county fair. But the last time I visited a state/country/region where I felt the need to cash up before going out to explore was Japan, last decade.
    Contactless payments? You must be visiting some very affluent places, cause it wasn't nearly as common ten years ago as it is now. I was in Lithuania a few months ago and it was first time I saw that option there. Just a few years ago it wasn't even available in Vilnius.

As for the other stuff like governments interacting with citizens, schools interacting with parents, doctors interacting with patients, and vice versa, it all has become increasingly digital in my experience over the last decade. Being able to see your child's grades and what's happening in school, transferring your medical history over to a new doctor, filing taxes, setting up a business... things like these are way more convenient than they were 10 years ago. Plus now there's a greater control over you data and privacy with the GDPR.

Wait, what did you mean by going cashless? Just the ability to pay without cash? I thought that was what had already been adopted everywhere now? Well, with the exception of parts of Japan and 3rd world countries.

Pretty sure he means being poor. Living in the gutter may not be everyone's cup of tea, but heywood also appreciated tablets killing off netbooks. So there's that.

Music:
    - Summer Cannibals
    - O Terno
    - Tropical Fuck Storm

Society:
    - We learned how much of it was based on the common narratives once distributed by the gatekeepers of information. Like Democracy and Superstars.

Films:
    - Mad Max Fury Road

ROTFLMAO Kolya

For me personally, "going cashless" means I don't need to carry cash except for special occasions, e.g. buying tickets at a charity raffle. It also means that when I travel out of the country, I don't feel the need to fill my wallet with local currency just in case. Contactless payment is just a bonus. Over the last few years, I've noticed myself going for months with an empty wallet. I also noticed that when I'm in a line to pay at a lunch counter or fast foot restaurant, almost nobody is pulling out cash anymore. Even at the local brewery, it's mostly cards being handed to the bartender. Hence I called it a trend.