TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil 3

Resident Evil 3

The remake of Resident Evil 3 was officially announced this morning with a release date of April 3rd, 2020.

I'm pretty pumped given how excellent the remake of Resident Evil 2 was earlier this year.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Cool!

They say it'll be more action-focused than RE2, but I hope they don't lean too much in that direction. RE2 had a really great balance between horror/puzzles/action.

Anyone else play the demo which came out yesterday?

Moderator and Priest
    There's a demo? Guess I'll be playing it here in a sec then.

Yeah, and I liked it! Though it did hit the same annoyance of the inventory size limit, I guess that makes it a true Resident Evil game. Runs alright, HDR works well. This makes me want to finally play RE2RE and then 3.

Moderator and Priest
    Well, that was kinda rad. Think now might be a good time to buy RE2.

The demo was interesting but it did make me wonder if they're go on to remake RE4. People had been clamouring for a remake of 2 ever since the hugely successful remake of the original, and 3 is a nice bonus (and I think a largely forgotten game, at least I don't think it had the impact of the games either side of it). However 4 is arguably the one most people have fond memories of and messing with that is going to get people's hackles up.

Moderator and Priest
    All they'd have to do is remake the game point for point with the new graphics engine, and they'll sell 10 million easy.

Chakat sex pillow
    4 still looks good today, though. It's also fairly modernised in terms of design, the inability to move and shoot notwithstanding. I'm not really sure anyone'd need to remake it, given it's going to be a set of diminishing graphical returns with the very real possibility of messing with what it did well.

That's not what they've been doing with the other remakes, though. As much as I enjoyed the RE2 remake, there's stuff missing that undermines it slightly, such as the beginning of scenario 2 removing the street section, or most of the interactions between Leon and Claire (There wasn't much but there was at least a nod to things you did with one character effecting the other). I'd like an updated version of RE4 but I'm wondering if they'll miss the mark on that one.

I used to play Resident Evil 1 and 2 on the Playstation 1, back in the days, but, realized when I bought the RE 1 remake that it's just not my cup of tea anymore these days. Also, the modern reboots look like they got a lot of elements which are catered to the modern game crowd, so, they're probably even less a thing for me.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    4 still looks good today, though. It's also fairly modernised in terms of design, the inability to move and shoot notwithstanding. I'm not really sure anyone'd need to remake it, given it's going to be a set of diminishing graphical returns with the very real possibility of messing with what it did well.
    Yeah, much like Halflife served as the template for FPSes for the next couple of decades, RE4 is probably just as important for the third-person action game.

Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    I used to play Resident Evil 1 and 2 on the Playstation 1, back in the days, but, realized when I bought the RE 1 remake that it's just not my cup of tea anymore these days. Also, the modern reboots look like they got a lot of elements which are catered to the modern game crowd, so, they're probably even less a thing for me.
    Besides the over the shoulder camera, they are still very old school in design. Same for RE7.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Gore and dismemberment has been downgraded from RE2make

This could be the result of out-sourcing the game to a B-grade developer. Also they could be wanting to cut-down expenses by having content parity across all regions, allowing them to offer one SKU. Blood and gore often has to be censored for Japanese and Chinese releases.

New trailer BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    This could be the result of out-sourcing the game to a B-grade developer.
    RE3 is still being made internally within Capcom. They just had two internal studios working simultaneously with one working on RE2 and the other on RE3. Some of the team that worked on RE2 is now helping with RE3. It's really no different from the original RE3 that consisted of a separate internal team that was tasked with making a spin off game while the main team was working on what would later become Code Veronica. When it became apparent that the main team's game was going to take forever to make the other team's spinoff game turned into RE3. You're probably thinking of RE3's multiplayer component, Resistance, which is the portion of the remake that was outsourced to a third party studio. As for the reduced gore I've been seeing different explanations from it being done to free up resources for other stuff going on in the game to it being done to rebalance the game since your knife doesn't break like it does in RE2. Regardless, I was a little bummed to see that part changed as well.

stop reading one angry gamer ffs. or at least be embarrassed that you read it and quit posting links here

Reviews came out today for those interested.

Gotta say the reviews are making me nervous. Sounds like a quick lazy cash-in - cut gore is the least of its problems:

-The game is quite short (~6hrs), but they cut the clock tower, park, and factory and instead rehashed more bits from RE2 (which is already meant to be played 4x - enough already!)
    -Only the first Nemesis encounter works Mr. X style - the rest is scripted
    -the diverging plot points were cut, lessening replayability - it's strictly linear now
    -most of the puzzles are gone
    -zombie physics are gone
    -limited use items to escape zombie encounters have been replaced by a quicktime button mash
    -The city portions weren't fleshed out or made more open ended the way you'd expect a modern RE3 remake to approach it

Something felt a bit off about the demo to me, so I guess I'm not too surprised... but still, so much missed potential here.
    Last edited by froghawk; 31st Mar 2020 at 09:50.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Aww, that doesn't sound too good. The metacritic score is at 80%, bit of a drop from RE2's 91%. So all signs point to this being a weaker game.

*adjusting expectations*

So has anyone else played this yet? I finished it this morning and am still gathering my thoughts. Overall I enjoyed the game despite a few minor gripes/complaints.

The city portions are probably the weakest only when considering all of the cool things that they could have done with everything in this game. The latter portions/segments are great though and I really don't mind the few sections from the original game that were cut. To be fair the factory and park were added last minute to the original game when it was decided the game would become RE3 instead of just a spinoff (the original game was meant to end at the clocktower).

The devs even said early on that REmake 3 would be more of a reimagining rather than a faithful 1:1 remake so its interesting to see how they've approached this game and the story knowing from the start that this is a numbered title in the series as opposed to the original where many of the changes including putting Jill into the game and having random elements implemented were done later in development.

I still think REmake 2 is the better game but I also felt that way about the original RE2 and RE3. I think REmake 3 has the same issue the original had in that it seems more like an iteration of the previous title which felt so new and fresh at the time. Still, there is a lot of content in terms of unlocks and difficulty modes (there's now a Nightmare and Inferno mode after Hardcore) and then you have the multiplayer game Project Resistance which seems alright and was surprisingly fun from what little I played of the demo earlier this week.

I know some early reviews complained about the length of the game but my first playthrough ran nearly as long as my first playthrough of REmake 2. I started at midnight and finished around 8:00 AM but my in game time was around 5 1/2 hrs so it must not count cutscenes, continues, and when you have the game paused or are viewing your map and inventory. Despite this, the pacing in REmake 3 was solid throughout and I never really felt like any particular portion overstayed its welcome.

Ultimately, if you enjoyed REmake 2 I think you'd enjoy REmake 3. There's plenty of horror streamers/speedrunners playing it now on Twitch so you can always check one of them out to form an opinion though.

I've only played up to the sewers, but I have the opposite impression so far - the pacing feels extremely rushed, and the scale of everything feels strangely reduced from the original - partially on account of the frantic pace, and partially because the city areas are quite condensed next to the original. I'll be posting a full review in my RE thread once I finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by SDF121 View Post
    I started at midnight and finished around 8:00 AM...
    Ah, the true gamers' schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    I've only played up to the sewers, but I have the opposite impression so far - the pacing feels extremely rushed, and the scale of everything feels strangely reduced from the original - partially on account of the frantic pace, and partially because the city areas are quite condensed next to the original. I'll be posting a full review in my RE thread once I finish it.
    Strangely enough, I felt the same way up until the sewers. I feel like the game only starts to find its groove and identity once it starts doing its own thing which is why I think everything that proceeded it in the city was weaker. Which is kind of weird because I felt the opposite with the original game where the city had its strongest moments and then everything else afterwards was underwhelming in size and scope. Hopefully it picks up for you as well as I found myself on the fence up until the area you've reached.

I wonder if most of my disappointment early on is in comparing the city sections to the original whereas the later portions of the game are unique enough that you're not sitting there and comparing and contrasting how each part measures up to the original. However, I still feel like there is this tension in design between the older games and the newer ones found in this title more than in REmake 2 which the wired article you referenced seems to touch upon.

Despite my disappointment with the beginning the later sections were enough to keep me interested and I'm already looking forward to seeing all the crazy speedruns on the higher difficulty levels that come out of it. I think after playing The Evil Within 2 and seeing how they handled its more open levels with mini bosses wandering about that I was hoping REmake 3 would have done something similar with the city being this huge open labyrinth where Nemesis' presence was persistent in the world and would give rise to all sorts of unscripted moments of emergent gameplay much like one found with the RPD in REmake 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Ah, the true gamers' schedule.
    I work nights so late night gaming is an easy way to maintain my schedule on my days off.

Anyways, here are two decent video reviews that are more even handed.

Last edited by SDF121; 4th Apr 2020 at 02:54.

Those were exactly my hopes for the city, as well. It felt like the natural thing to do with it.

Hardcore mode is easier than RE2, as well. No ink ribbons, plenty of ammo, autosaves...

On the other hand, one thing that's frustrating me so far is the quicktime event to escape a zombie's grasp. I haven't succeeded at it even once. I wonder if that's because I'm playing it on an underpowered computer - maybe there's a bit of input lag that I'm only noticing there. In any case, it's making me miss the defensive weapons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast