TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: System Shock Remake Demo Available Tomorrow

Level 10,000 achieved
    Looking forward to the System shock demo... TOMORROW! HAHAHA YOU WERE RIGHT ZYLONBANE THIS IS HILARIOUS

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    * Direction-based damage indication on screen
    * Mouse wheel weapon selection
    Although you had none of those things in the original game

SShock2.com

Doom 2016 is one of my favourite games and probably the best FPS I've played in years. But System Shock isn't a FPS.

The original game might have benefited from a directional damage indicator, because the keyboard look controls, combined with the graphics and sound of the day, made it a challenge to maintain situational awareness. I don't think it's needed in a modern version, where you can use more natural visual and auditory cues to indicate the player is being hit from behind.

I don't see any reason not to have mouse wheel weapon selection though.

Level 10,000 achieved
    What visual cue would you use to show attacks from behind, if not a damage indicator? Players who are hard of hearing can't rely on audio, so for accessibility damage indicators are good.

These are both good additions. Not being in the original game is no reason to exclude them, especially seeing as the original was clunky as fuck when it came to controls/UI. Plenty of room for improvement.

The visual cue I'm thinking about would come from camera movement. A short animation that looks like a reflex reaction to being hit. Instead of one basic camera shake for any kind of damage, the animation can be different depending on whether you're hit by a melee weapon or ranged weapon, whether you're hit from the front or back or side, and how hard of a hit it is. Combine one of these camera movements with an impact sound and grunt combination that's weapon-dependent. Use a real-time positional audio system to give direction to the impact sound and weapon firing sound. That's what I would like to see in an imm sim.

I wouldn't oppose throwing in some old fashioned red mist if you need more visual cues, e.g. the whole screen tints red for a split second when hit from the front versus the periphery of the screen tints red when you are being attacked by something outside your FOV. But I don't like having some kind of directional light thingy popping up in the middle of the HUD used as the primary means of conveying where your attacker is. That's just lazy. Quake 1 did better than that. If you were getting hit in that game, you knew it.

Another demo has been released on Steam and GOG.

Edit:
    They added cyborg assassins, it's not as choppy but there was one spot that was and it seems to be slightly brighter.
    Last edited by bob_doe_nz; 27th May 2020 at 23:45.

ZylonBane
    Holy crap that is some small text in the interface. Apparently Night Dive is assuming that everyone will be playing this on a 32" monitor.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Holy crap that is some small text in the interface. Apparently Night Dive is assuming that everyone will be playing this on a 32" monitor.
    Wow, you're alive.

Go give them feedback directly.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/482400/discussions/
    https://www.facebook.com/NightdiveStudios/
    https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio
    https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast

icemann, quicksaving and quickloading don't seem to work. Can you confirm or does it work for you?

Performance is decent for the 20 minutes I've played despite my older system.

Save was disabled for me.

I noticed an occasional hiccup, but no drops in framerate. It did keep my GPU going 100% the whole time I played, even if I was just staring straight ahead.

The game is looking more promising. But I'm 50/50 on the new ambient/dramatic background music vs. the old synth tracks. The original music was memorable and I still have some of those tracks stuck in my brain. The new sound was more atmospheric and foreboding, and it drew me in at first. But I'd get bored quickly if that's sustained throughout the game.

I hope this gets finished.

Zombified
    I didn't notice anything. because win7 support is broken.

Did the previous build work?

I stuck with Win 7 as long as I could, but I caved and took the free upgrade a few months ago. I didn't want to go without security patches.

The previous build worked in Windows 7.
    They clearly updated to the Unreal Engine 4.25 from a previous version, as this is a bug in the latest version. Fault is on Epic, not Night Dive.

Zombified
    seem like just loading the exe with reshade will circumvent the problem.

TBH, what I see in those videos doesn't "sex" me too much... I really love System Shock 2, but, frankly, I think the devs have the wrong approach here. I don't feel like the visuals or operation of the original are really a good starting point for this remake. Actually, I know some will hate me for that, but, I would have preferred if they'd just continue what they were doing before they revamped the whole thing in the Unreal Engine. Let's be honest, such a dark and esoteric looking spaceship isn't really realistic, and those robots and creatures aren't scary at all. At least from my perspective, what I've seen so far is disappointing. I don't know how many die hard fans of the first System Shock are really left over that it seems like a good decision to take over that antiquated look and feel to 2020.

Sorry for being the complainer.

SShock2.com

I think that the result of the Kickstarter campaign speaks for itself as to how many die hard fans of the first System Shock are really left over.
    This is a remake, it's not a new game. We want the visuals and operation of the original. We want an antiquated look and feel. That's why we supported the Kickstarter campaign. If you think a 'dark and esoteric looking spaceship isn't really realistic' then I suppose that you also dislike games like Dead Space (also, it's not a spaceship; Citadel is a space station).

I was originally in agreement with chk772. The original level design was highly constrained by the engine and design tools available back then. I didn't see why a remake should be held to constraints imposed by early 90s tech. But I changed my mind when it became obvious that re-doing the level design while keeping the gameplay and story true to the original would have been way too difficult. And even though the structure of the levels is the same, the remake demo seems better proportioned to me. For instance, I don't feel like my hair is brushing the ceiling when walking around areas of single-unit height.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Arcy View Post
    I think that the result of the Kickstarter campaign speaks for itself as to how many die hard fans of the first System Shock are really left over.
    This is a remake, it's not a new game. We want the visuals and operation of the original. We want an antiquated look and feel. That's why we supported the Kickstarter campaign.
    Fair enough. It's probably because I much prefer SS 2's art design.

I loved Dead Space by the way. And, to my defense, it's sort of comparing apples to oranges. Citadel Station is supposed to be a place for genetic and pharmaceutical research. While in Dead Space, you're aboard of a spaceship with no such purposes (IIRC, it's a mining ship). But, again, fair enough, I assume in both cases, the dark is rather a element of creating a certain atmosphere. Even though I do find that in Dead Space, it's definitely more believable than on a company's reasearch space station.

SShock2.com

Citadel Station is also a mining station

SS1 looked old when I played it (I played it several years after SS2, so it seemed especially dated by then), but I still prefer it to SS2 that for me has always felt just a bit on the wrong side of cartoonish in its visuals. One of my fears when Kickstarting the thing was that Stephen would make it too much like SS2, since he's such a big fan of it.

I played SS2 when it first came out and it looked old then. I remember thinking the UI was great, the levels were OK, and the character models were terrible. But the A3D sound with headphones was something that made up for the weak graphics. The strange thing is, every time I've replayed it and tried the Rebirth mod, I've switched back to the original models. That might just be nostalgia/familiarity.

I recall Stephen saying something about RPG elements at some point, which ended up being controversial. I absolutely loved the RPG elements in SS2, but remaking SS1 with those elements would result in a very different game.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I played SS2 when it first came out and it looked old then. I remember thinking the UI was great...
    Wow. I like in that game how doing stuff in the in-game menus doesn't pause the game, but switching up the basic controls so they could use the mouse in the UI was IMO inexcusable.

ZylonBane
    Please rephrase your complaint in a less nonsensical manner.

I'm not sure what you're saying either Pyrian. Are you complaining about the default key bindings, or is it the use/shoot modality of the HUD that you find inexcusable? I got used to toggling modes quickly enough in the tutorial level. I wish more imm sims used an interface like this to keep the game going real-time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast