TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: System Shock Remake Demo Available Tomorrow

The previous version worked as long as you switched a dll file for a Windows 7 compatible one.

Zombified
    seem like just loading the exe with reshade will circumvent the problem.

TBH, what I see in those videos doesn't "sex" me too much... I really love System Shock 2, but, frankly, I think the devs have the wrong approach here. I don't feel like the visuals or operation of the original are really a good starting point for this remake. Actually, I know some will hate me for that, but, I would have preferred if they'd just continue what they were doing before they revamped the whole thing in the Unreal Engine. Let's be honest, such a dark and esoteric looking spaceship isn't really realistic, and those robots and creatures aren't scary at all. At least from my perspective, what I've seen so far is disappointing. I don't know how many die hard fans of the first System Shock are really left over that it seems like a good decision to take over that antiquated look and feel to 2020.

Sorry for being the complainer.

SShock2.com

I think that the result of the Kickstarter campaign speaks for itself as to how many die hard fans of the first System Shock are really left over.
    This is a remake, it's not a new game. We want the visuals and operation of the original. We want an antiquated look and feel. That's why we supported the Kickstarter campaign. If you think a 'dark and esoteric looking spaceship isn't really realistic' then I suppose that you also dislike games like Dead Space (also, it's not a spaceship; Citadel is a space station).

I was originally in agreement with chk772. The original level design was highly constrained by the engine and design tools available back then. I didn't see why a remake should be held to constraints imposed by early 90s tech. But I changed my mind when it became obvious that re-doing the level design while keeping the gameplay and story true to the original would have been way too difficult. And even though the structure of the levels is the same, the remake demo seems better proportioned to me. For instance, I don't feel like my hair is brushing the ceiling when walking around areas of single-unit height.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Arcy View Post
    I think that the result of the Kickstarter campaign speaks for itself as to how many die hard fans of the first System Shock are really left over.
    This is a remake, it's not a new game. We want the visuals and operation of the original. We want an antiquated look and feel. That's why we supported the Kickstarter campaign.
    Fair enough. It's probably because I much prefer SS 2's art design.

I loved Dead Space by the way. And, to my defense, it's sort of comparing apples to oranges. Citadel Station is supposed to be a place for genetic and pharmaceutical research. While in Dead Space, you're aboard of a spaceship with no such purposes (IIRC, it's a mining ship). But, again, fair enough, I assume in both cases, the dark is rather a element of creating a certain atmosphere. Even though I do find that in Dead Space, it's definitely more believable than on a company's reasearch space station.

SShock2.com

Citadel Station is also a mining station

SS1 looked old when I played it (I played it several years after SS2, so it seemed especially dated by then), but I still prefer it to SS2 that for me has always felt just a bit on the wrong side of cartoonish in its visuals. One of my fears when Kickstarting the thing was that Stephen would make it too much like SS2, since he's such a big fan of it.

I played SS2 when it first came out and it looked old then. I remember thinking the UI was great, the levels were OK, and the character models were terrible. But the A3D sound with headphones was something that made up for the weak graphics. The strange thing is, every time I've replayed it and tried the Rebirth mod, I've switched back to the original models. That might just be nostalgia/familiarity.

I recall Stephen saying something about RPG elements at some point, which ended up being controversial. I absolutely loved the RPG elements in SS2, but remaking SS1 with those elements would result in a very different game.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I played SS2 when it first came out and it looked old then. I remember thinking the UI was great...
    Wow. I like in that game how doing stuff in the in-game menus doesn't pause the game, but switching up the basic controls so they could use the mouse in the UI was IMO inexcusable.

ZylonBane
    Please rephrase your complaint in a less nonsensical manner.

I'm not sure what you're saying either Pyrian. Are you complaining about the default key bindings, or is it the use/shoot modality of the HUD that you find inexcusable? I got used to toggling modes quickly enough in the tutorial level. I wish more imm sims used an interface like this to keep the game going real-time.

I'm not sure what you're saying either Pyrian.
    Sorry.

...or is it the use/shoot modality of the HUD that you find inexcusable?
    I... Think so? Lol. The fact that in "normal" mode you've got mouselook and then once you start interacting with menus you don't. You can still move, turn and do most things, but you have to use keyboard commands like original Doom controls, if you can even remember the bindings while a rumbler is chasing you around.

Yeah but one press of the tab key instantly puts you back in shoot mode. Didn't cause me any problems to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    Yeah but one press of the tab key instantly puts you back in shoot mode.
    Which you nearly have to do because the game makes it too difficult not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    Didn't cause me any problems to be honest.
    It's a terrible bit of UI design, not a game killer.

SShock2.com

One press of the middle mouse key puts you back in shoot mode. If you still had mouselook while having the menus open that wouldn't make much sense and would make using the menus and moving around simultaneously practically impossible. I guess it's a throwback to the original Shock, where you didn't have mouselook and could move around while interacting with stuff and using the menus - I still play it like that and am yet to experience System Shock using mouselook.

And anyway, why would you want to keep interacting with the menus while being chased by a rumbler?

If you still had mouselook while having the menus open that wouldn't make much sense and would make using the menus and moving around simultaneously practically impossible.
    Right now it's "practically impossible" (ironically at the time of release I was able to do it, albeit still poorly, due to having played a lot of Doom before mouselook - most recent time I played I couldn't do it at all). It doesn't "make sense" because the menus are mouse driven.

And anyway, why would you want to keep interacting with the menus while being chased by a rumbler?
    Getting the right weapon or other equipment ready/fixed/maintained/loaded with the proper ammo/recharged/used. On later playthroughs it's relatively easy to always be ready, the game is actually very predictable, tending to spawn the exact same enemies in the exact same places. Also, coulda really used a proper toolbelt instead of random hotkeys for various consumables. (I remember my first time getting all the way to the big pools of radioactive water in the body of the many before figuring out there was a key for rad hypos, lol.)

Anyway, I never saw many games falling over themselves to imitate SS2's UI. ...Because it's not very good.

Zombified
    what? SS2 UI is pretty much perfect for this type of game, it does exactly what needs to be done the way it's supposed to be done. the top recommendation I've given to NDS when they were asking about SSEESP enhancements was "the closer you can get the UI to what SS2 has, the better".

SShock2.com

I usually don't stop while interacting with the menus in SS2. I open them on the go, do what I have to do, and close them while still moving towards my destination. And I enjoy being able to do so.

How else could they have handled it without pausing the game? SS2 just wouldn't be the same if you could stop the action while you leisurely organize your inventory, repair weapons, play logs, etc. A lot of the tension would be lost.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    The fact that in "normal" mode you've got mouselook and then once you start interacting with menus you don't. You can still move, turn and do most things, but you have to use keyboard commands like original Doom controls, if you can even remember the bindings while a rumbler is chasing you around.
    I still can't figure out what the hell you're talking about. It sounds like you're saying that in Use mode the mouse should move the menu cursor AND control the player view, which would be nausea-inducing stupidity, so clearly you must mean something else.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    what? SS2 UI is pretty much perfect for this type of game, it does exactly what needs to be done the way it's supposed to be done.
    The proof is in the absence of pudding:

Anyway, I never saw many games falling over themselves to imitate SS2's UI. ...Because it's not very good.
    I usually don't stop while interacting with the menus in SS2. I open them on the go, do what I have to do, and close them while still moving towards my destination. And I enjoy being able to do so.
    Thank you. The premise is good, just poorly implemented, and the solution I keep being given is "don't do that" (click out of the menu), which IMO really misses the point.

How else could they have handled it without pausing the game?
    Non-mouse centric UI.

ZylonBane
    Non-mouse centric UI.
    Are you suggesting we should have been forced to navigate a UI as complex as SS2's using console-style gamepad controls? You think that would have actually made it easier to use the menus while also running around?

You keep gormlessly insisting that no other game uses a UI like SS2, but near every action RPG uses a mouse-driven UI like SS2 (most notably SS2's immediate successor, Deus Ex). The only distinction is that SS2 doesn't pause the game when you're using the menus.

Don't get the issues with SS2's interface. I think it's very nice. Especially considering how old the game is.

If you're using keyboard controls to navigate the UI, your hand won't be free to use the movement controls and vice versa. You could eliminate the modality of the UI that way, but you'd still be switching modes with your hand. And it would make the UI tedious to navigate.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast