TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Limits to mesh bone shape still?

Limits to mesh bone shape still?

Pardon my ignorance as I don't know how make new meshes from scratch like these talented blokes on blender, with dark engine custom import/export plugins.

I had heard once you can only ever use the creature types/shapes that came with thief2. IE if you're making a new AI, it had better fit into the existing dark engine shapes of... Spider, Humanoid, or a variation of the beasts?

Something about it being hard-coded I think. I barely remember now, I believe it came up when someone was talking about making horses, dog, or other 4 legged animals. Is this still true? Or did this change now with the new blender kit and/or newdark?

I don't think anyone's rewritten the animation system, so yeah you'll still be limited to certain limit planes.

Ah gotcha, thank you Nicked. By the way, you have inspired the movement of one of my AIs featured in my upcoming mission. That 90 turn of limit planes trick etc. Although I don't totally understand it, I will re-read the post when I'm there.

Oh yeah, if you rotate the whole model in the 3d editor before exporting, the animations get super messed up. Word of warning though - these AIs aren't very good at hitting the player since their melee aim is messed up. Don't think I tried ranged combat but it might be a better bet.