TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief VR HUD

Thief VR HUD

Hello.

Managed to setup Thief 1 through Vorpx and its ok but the problem is the HUD needs to be re-positioned on the screen. You cannot see the health bar and item menu in VR, it needs to be moved up and scaled down.

I noticed the TFix had some HUD options for upscaling the resolution be keeps it in aspect ratio.

Can I ask is there an option to disable the aspect ratio element for the HUD because I believe it would rescale the HUD to the centre of the screen.

For example this screenshot of Doom1 VR, can you see where the HUD is positioned, we need to scale the Thief HUD the same way.

http://www.gamesear.com/images/2016/...culus-rift.jpg

Thanks again for your time and hope to speak soon.

Zombified
    all hud related settings can be found in cam_ext.cfg, TFix currently doesn't use any scaling.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes indeed already gone through the config, theres a scaling option,

Enable scaling of 2D overlay (HUD) - which it says it scales for what ever resolution you set?

So have I read this wrong because it says here its scaling the HUD which you say it doesn't? Please help.

Thanks again.

Zombified
    you basically have two options;
    Code:
    d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 64
    this will scale the hud up as much as possible, while keeping pixel perfectness - meaning if you have a monitor with a vertical resolution of 960-1439 pixels, it will be upscaled 2x, for 3x you will need 1440-1919, for 4x 1920 etc. the hud will stay sharp.
    Code:
    d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 800 600
    will scale it to be the same size as if you were using 800*600 as your ingame resolution. this will not be pixel perfect, so things will get blurry. there doesn't seem to be any difference between widescreen and non-widescreen modes, meaning 800 600 scaling looks the same as 1280 600 as far as I can tell.
    Code:
    d3d_disp_force_filter_scale2d
    will force filtering, meaning the hud will be blurry even with pixel perfect scaling.

generally, no scaling or auto (pixel perfect) scaling is what I would recommend.

Hello Voodoo and thanks for the detailed reply much appreciated.

I understand now, its upscaling the HUD but keeping the position.

So its not actually possible with the TFix right now?

May I ask are the TFix devs still working on the patch right now? The only people who could work this out are the TFix devs, I believe they may have a method to rescale the HUD and the position of HUD elements.

Heres a screenshot of where the HUD should be repositioned or scaled in the centre screen area.

If we could somehow scale the HUD like so, it would solve the HUD issue in VR.

The issue is I cannot see what items I'm selecting or the health status which breaks the game.

Thief with Vorpx is truly magnificent. I'm sure the whole VR community would go crazy for ThiefVR!

Thanks again.

Zombified
    I don't think it's possible to reposition the hud in that way, but feel free to explore the documentation (the DOC folder). this would have to be implemented by the Raven, aka the mysterious frenchman who gifts us the modified engine files (NewDark) once a year.

the TFix devs just glue things together and wrap everything up in a nice package.

Quote Originally Posted by TLG800 View Post
    Thief with Vorpx is truly magnificent. I'm sure the whole VR community would go crazy for ThiefVR!
    This is unrelated to your HUD request, but I was never able to get Thief working with Vorpx. Any chance you could share your config settings in Vorpx for Thief?

Thanks for the reply.

This sounds interesting, how can one contact this mysterious figure by the name of Raven? We must contact this character with this information. Its truly world class.

Raven if you are reading this, please bless us with ThiefVR!

Regarding Thief with Vorpx, it has its own profile just load up Vorpx first, then load up Thief.

Out of curiosity, is it "Geometry Stereo 3D" or "Depth Buffer Stereo 3D"? (Mentioned at https://www.vorpx.com/features/.)

As I understand, Dark Engine doesn't support geometry 3d at all, so it's Z. Which is not 3d even a bit.

But it works flawlessly in nvidia 3d-vision though.

Yeah, I don't see any 3D with Vorpx. It renders to the headset, but it's flat. What's interesting and a little frustrating is that System Shock 2 does render in 3D to the headset. Not sure what the difference is there. I was hoping that someone had figured it out and had a profile with the proper settings, cause the default Vorpx ones don't work for me for either Thief Gold or Thief 2.