TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: ALT+R not working

ALT+R not working

Now that I've completely trained my hand to perform Alt+R rather than Alt+E in DromEd, it has stopped working. Alt+R does nothing and ALT+E brings me back to the starting point. The only posts I found here all say to use Alt+R to bring you back to the game where you left off. Is this the right place to post this problem? Is it a tech problem?

I can't find any change in any command files that might have caused this.

Code:
    ;      ALT-

bind_all_alt-F1 mono_debug

bind_edit_alt-b edit_command save_group
    bind_edit_alt-c edit_command clear_world
    bind_game_alt-e  edit_mode
    bind_all_alt-g  game_mode                 ; go into proto game mode
    bind_edit_alt-l edit_command load_file
    bind_edit_alt-o edit_command edit_obj;   ; Object editor
    bind_edit_alt-p auto_portalize            ; toggle portalizing after every edit
    bind_all_alt-q  foot_sounds
    ;bind_edit_alt-r reset_brush               ; 0 all brush rotation
    bind_edit_alt-s eval world_file edit_command save_mission %s
    bind_edit_alt-t texture_pal               ; texture palette
    bind_edit_alt-v edit_command load_group
    bind_edit_alt-SPACE quick_resynch         ; synch all windows, rerender, desynch them
    This is how my keybind.cfg looks in my installation. In my case I use alt-e to go back to edit mode. The alt-r line has a ; in front of it. If you reverse those and make your alt-r line look like this:

Code:
    bind_game_alt-r edit_mode
    ;bind_edit_alt-e edit_mode
    it should fix the problem.

I don't have a keybind.cfg. I can make one. Should I have one? Should it have come with the latest NewDark or tool kit?

I can get back into the editor no problem using alt+e. I want alt+r to also work and take me back into the game where I left off. Alt+e takes me back to where I first entered.

Yikes. I don't even know what some of those commands mean.

You might also look at user.bnd, and if you don't have that file then look at default.bnd.

btw the mods frown upon triple posting especially when they are all within an eight minute period. Its easy to edit your post if you have additional comments.

Got it about the moderators. Understood and thank you. I will look at my bnd files. I just think it's odd that Alt+R worked well for me all along, then suddenly stopped working. I cannot imagine anything that would have caused those files to change.

Okay, this is what those files say:

Default.bnd: game bind e+alt "run .\cmds\EditMode.cmd" ; return to edit mode
    game bind r+alt "run .\cmds\EditModeAtPlr.cmd" ; return to edit mode at player

User.bnd: bind e+alt "run .\cmds\editmode.cmd"
    bind r+alt "run .\cmds\editmodeatplr.cmd"

I checked those commands:

EditMode.cmd = unset editorcam_from_game
    edit_mode

EditModeAtPlr.cmd = set editorcam_from_game
    edit_mode
    unset editorcam_from_game

Should they say anything different?

I guess I must be asking stupid questions?

It's more likely that no-one else has had this problem.

What could be happening is that some other keybind is overriding Alt+R, so search user.bnd to see if it's configured twice. I don't know if it's possible, but it could even be something like Shift+Alt+R for some other command.

I don't see the use of returning to the editor where you last entered game mode (the default for alt+E) with those .cmd files. I had the exact same .cmd file setup and default.bnd as you, but I had an older user.bnd so for me Alt+E was just running the edit_mode command (and I have editorcam_from_game in user.cfg)

As for the keybind files themselves, I think this is how they work:

user.bnd is the 'active' set of keybinds, in other words, the game/dromed reads from that file.
    However, if you go in to the game's Options menu, when you leave, it regenerates user.bnd by combining the current set of game controls (run, crouch, select sword etc) with the dromed controls which are read from default.bnd. If user.bnd does not exist, the controls are read from dark.bnd (t2 defaults) or the keys chosen if you change things from the Controls menu.

It's not absolute though. I think if you override any keybind (in user.bnd) with a dromed-only command, they remain in memory (unless you load a set of keybinds from the game menus).

Oh and I think dromed only reads user.bnd in game mode, and it edit mode still uses default.bnd

And (as if the above wasn't enough) I also think you can override the Dromed commands that go into user.bnd by editing the .bnd files in Saves (where gameplay keybinds are saved/loaded from the menus). For some reason my saves\cfg0004.bnd has one line for alt+g as "run .\cmds\gamemode.cmd", which is also in user.bnd, but that cmd file doesn't exist for me because it did things that aren't necessary under NewDark. Default.bnd has alt+g as game_mode
    Last edited by R Soul; 1st Feb 2020 at 06:23.

Thank you for the reply.

I have compared the files on my pc with those mentioned above. They seem to jive.

However, I recently had a problem with my keyboard which exchanged the characters @ and ". My PC has a number of mission folders, each holding its own complete and separate version of DromEd/NewDark. Every installation where I have tested Alt+R and Alt+E is having this same problem. Overnight. This leads me to wonder if the problem, and its solution, might be something more global, like a keyboard character problem. Something entirely outside DromEd. Otherwise, I would think the separate installations would react differently.

I'm going to bring a mission folder to my laptop and run the mission to see how it handles those commands.

If those commands work as they should, it might mean that I have to look outside of DromEd for a solution. But if the problem still occurs, then I will again carefully comb through the various files you mentioned to see if the problem is in those files.

The results will be posted here in case it helps anyone else with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by redleaf View Post
    I guess I must be asking stupid questions?
    Sorry I haven't been around lately to answer questions... been sick.

I know its a long shot but you also might want to make sure your keyboard isn't dirty inside with debris, spills, etc. and test your pc with a different keyboard.

Sorry to hear you haven't been well, John. I hope you are feeling better now?
    That is another thing I can look at. I live at my keyboard when I am Dromedding. Bound to be a lot of crumbs around the keys.

Thank you Redleaf. I'm feeling much better now. Yeah I'm basically the same way... sometimes while I'm sleeping too.
    Last edited by john9818a; 13th Jan 2020 at 09:31. Reason: Added comment

Well, my keyboard is clean. I am not understanding why I cannot use Alt+R on my desktop any more. It works on my laptop (both with windows 10) and the config files are identical. Just one of those weird things I guess. It is definitely slowing me down having to change the start point so often. If it bugs me too much, I'll change over to my laptop though I will miss the big monitor.

Thank you for trying to help me. I hope totally better by now.

What happens if you change alt+e to run the command edit_mode without using any cmd files?

Also, try uploading your copies of user.bnd, default.bnd and dark.bnd and someone may find some odd error that explains the problem.

Alt-R is used by Windows 10 (usually in combo with the Win Key though) to start DVR recording. Maybe try disabling Windows 10's game DVR function, and try again. If you're not using Win10, disregard of course. Not sure what else to try at this point though..

Hi. I do run windows 10. It worked fine on W10 for a week or 2. The failure or Alt+r to work was sudden and global.

I will try both those things and see if anything changes. If it stays the same, I will upload my files, though they may have changed a bit since I was fiddling with them.

Ahh, I had no idea there were a whole ton of extra commands (in the CMDS folder) that are overriding some of the ones I'm used to.

Like Alt-R is how you return to the editor mode in the same exact position you were at in the game a moment ago!
    Alt-E still works as expected though.

If you have all that setup correctly, redleaf, then it's got to be some other binding in Windows that's throwing it off for you, because it's working fine for me. I wish there was an easy way to monitor what Windows (or some other program) is "grabbing" in the background and hooking the key combo before Dromed can get it. Might solve some headaches, er problems.