TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Personal Music creation Version 2.0

Administrator
    @aja - Vapin' reminded me of Frank Zappa instead - songs like "wind up workin' in a gas station".

The ambient stuff is good, but could probably be extended to longer forms. I tend to listen to Steve Roach (also influenced by Eno probably) and there are few 40m to hour long tracks I use all the time for work or an attempt to help me sleep.

@piglick - If you could get me some original files for Elevator Funk I'd try mixing it, but could be awkward if you hadn't recorded onto a computer.

@dema - I could see that piece working as incidental music in an anime. I may be thinking that because you live in Japan though. Or the jazz influence that seems to get into much anime music.

nah dont have the original tracks for that, it was recorded over 20 yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    The ambient stuff is good, but could probably be extended to longer forms. I tend to listen to Steve Roach (also influenced by Eno probably) and there are few 40m to hour long tracks I use all the time for work or an attempt to help me sleep.
    Thanks. A couple of the tracks I didn't post are longer, but I was making a deliberate effort on a lot of these songs to keep them short. I'm not too interested in so-called generative ambient music; everyone with a modular synth makes that these days, and it's not hard to set up a drone and record it for an hour. I'd rather find ways to keep the listener's interest in a shorter time frame. Some of the stuff I've been working on more recently is in the eight-to-nine-minute range, which is about where I like it.

edit: here's a private link to the full album in case anyone's interested: https://soundcloud.com/sleepmute/set...s-this/s-cxg9c
    Last edited by Aja; 13th Jan 2020 at 18:10.

Administrator
    A celebrating stutter reminded me of Brian Eno's Microsoft sound for windows 95 apparently.

I think it's smart to keep the pieces short as creating a longer piece that remains interesting is really hard. Enjoying the pieces on your little album.

I just came across Eno's Music for Installations which is a bit of a 5 hour monster - first track was pretty lovely actually.

I did make one attempt at creating a longer piece - https://soundcloud.com/scumble/ambient-thing-v3 - on the face of it it's highly repetitive but the melody repeats so it shifts backwards in relation to everything else. I think the rhodes chords can get a bit monotonous though. But I think the way this sort of stuff works is for you to drift in and out of attention so when you come back something slightly different is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    A celebrating stutter reminded me of Brian Eno's Microsoft sound for windows 95 apparently.
    Oh yeah, I can see that. I love that sound!

I did make one attempt at creating a longer piece - https://soundcloud.com/scumble/ambient-thing-v3 - on the face of it it's highly repetitive but the melody repeats so it shifts backwards in relation to everything else. I think the rhodes chords can get a bit monotonous though. But I think the way this sort of stuff works is for you to drift in and out of attention so when you come back something slightly different is happening.
    I listened to this while I tidied up cables after a day of trying to make music, and I really enjoyed it. It did just what you said. The only part I didn't like was the abrupt cut-off at the end.

Here is a (very grainy) video of a recent jam I had with some old muso friends. I am the guy in the back left with the blue telecaster. And yeh I'm not the most dynamic mover on stage, but its whats inside that counts.

haha there is also this which I had forgotten until I recently reactivated my incredibly content filled youtube account. It starts with a close up of my crotch, proceeds with a nice view of my kitchen, then ends with another crotch close up. Some tasty playing in there as well I must say.

on a roll, after quite a long hiatus due to health issues I am getting back in to the live scene again, feeling rusty but good to play with other musos again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12