TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Games of 2019

Lol

Administrator
    I suspect I'd have said DMC5 and The Outer Worlds if I'd managed to finish them. I'm having trouble remembering what I played in general during the year...

Thing What Kicks
    While I enjoyed The Outer Worlds, I don't think it was a stand-out game for me, and in fact found it rather... average. Certainly not Obsidian's best. I'm glad I essentially got to play it for free through Xbox Game Pass for Windows or whatever it's called.

My game of the year is probably Streets of Rogue, closely followed by Control. I would have said Deadfire for sure, as I bought it in 2019, but it came out in 2018.
    Disco Elysium is fantastically good, but I have to be in the right mood to play it, and I've recently been distracted by shinier, flashier things (namely: Control, Prey & Death of the Outsider).
    DE is very thinky, and recently I've just wanted to blow shit up / hack stuff / sleeper-hold goons.

I can't think of much else I've played that was actually released in 2019, but I'm at work at the mo with no access to my libraries, so this may get updated when I get home.

Edit: Nope, turns out that not many of the games I played last year were actually from last year.
    Last edited by Malf; 9th Jan 2020 at 04:40.

Links Awakening on the Switch I only started playing this month, and that is excellent.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm in the final stretch of The Outer Worlds and while I don't completely agree with the assessment that it's an average game, I do agree it's not Obsidian's best.

The reason why I don't think it's average is because the average game is shallow in a very different way compared to what you see here. While the game seems about as deep as a puddle, it's constructed with a lot of care and attention towards how you roleplay it, from weapon choices to quest solutions via skill checks to just going flat out Dark Side and having the game story fork appropriately if you're being a megadouche instead of someone with a moral centre. It's also got the best skill checks (I used my engineering skill to tell someone how to use a door handle), and in classic Interplay style, there's dedicated Dumb dialogue if you min-maxed your character and went low intelligence. It's just comprehensively built to ensure you consistently have options to be entertained - and that's nothing to sneeze at.

But it's also not Obsidian's best because it definitely is more of a comedy pastiche of different influences (a good deal of that being Obsidian's own games from the past in amongst the more recognisable homages to things like Firefly) without a really compelling main story. The quests are entertaining in the moment, but there's no deeper subtext than 'capitalism bad, but you're a free agent so you might as well have fun anyway'. Everything's still written with the polish Obsidian's known for - nothing's outright bad. It's just shallower than you'd expect after, say, FO: NV. Even Alpha Protocol wasn't particularly deep, but it had the most interesting choice and consequence system in any RPG to date - TOW doesn't really do anything special like that, if we're using Obsidian's own games as a benchmark. It's just a solid RPG that's fun, silly, and completely inessential.

One of the reasons why I haven't yet got The Outer Worlds (other than my intimidating backlog) is that much of what I've seen looks kinda... glib. I wonder whether that's mostly the curse of PR, though; obviously they'll show the snarky, fun one-liners. From what I've heard and read about some of the characters, it seems like there's more subtlety and variation there.

I know I'll get the game eventually, but right now I'm in one of my "Can't buy more without finishing at least *some* of my games" phases. Give it time.

I'd sooner do another play through of New Vegas before I'd play The Outer Worlds. Catch being that I'm awaiting the final update for the fan mod Fallout New California, which may be a long way away.

Why am I awaiting that first? It's as it plugs onto New Vegas. It's end, is the start of NV. And some other fan made singleplayer mods already plug into NV fine (eg Autumn Leaves). So just makes for an even fuller experience.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    One of the reasons why I haven't yet got The Outer Worlds (other than my intimidating backlog) is that much of what I've seen looks kinda... glib. I wonder whether that's mostly the curse of PR, though; obviously they'll show the snarky, fun one-liners. From what I've heard and read about some of the characters, it seems like there's more subtlety and variation there.

I know I'll get the game eventually, but right now I'm in one of my "Can't buy more without finishing at least *some* of my games" phases. Give it time.
    It's quite glib when it wants to be, and it has some subtlety and nuance in other places. If you want a less cynical experience, Parvati's your first go-to as an adventuring companion (good thing she's also your first companion). There are quirks about her that are just endearing, and some are slightly unexpected, and the game gives you the choice of being something of a guide for her. It's a thoughtful touch that leavens the experience in a world that's essentially spit-roasted by corpocracies. The rest of the companions have their own... failings, and it's entertaining to work through them. Nothing that's going to blow your mind, as it's essentially RPG comfort food. But there's nothing wrong with that, either.

Yeah. They can't all be Disco Elysium. I'm not sure they should be.

Taking a break
    Played Disco Elysium.

I think it's over-hyped at best and in many ways complete ass. The writing that the reviewers find to be "genius" I find to be grating, obnoxious nihilist bullshit with a fetish for anarchist brutality.

It's 2019's Rick and Morty: beloved this year until the next year when its fans will have the same rep that Rick and Morty fanboys have now.

Level 10,000 achieved
    So it's kinda like Rick and Morty? Cool, maybe I should play it.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's like Rick and Morty if Rick and Morty wrote it!

That's a great epitaph actually.

If you laugh & occasionally feel moved by Rick and Morty shtick, you'll laugh a lot & occasionally feel moved by this game.

For sure it's over the top, and I could buy that it has its fetishes, most of them involving some form of babble ... fringe group politico-babble, psychobabble, pseudo-intellectual babble, modern art babble, pseudo-science babble, I feel like there are quite a few more. That actually explains a lot.

People are calling it an RPG but it's really light on the RPG stuff. It's much more a point and click adventure, but even then it's also light on the puzzles. Really what it is is a dialog fest, sometimes gaming the dialog but most of the time not even that much. So pretty much what makes or breaks it is if you're into the story, setting, dialog, and just its way of thinking. I think you'll know right into the first couple of dialogs if it's for you or not. And I think the punchline of Tony's mini-review is it's the kind of game that people either connect with it's sensibility or they don't. And if they do it connects hard, and if they don't then it's going to be so much pretentious bullshit they have to gag on. It doesn't leave so much room for in between.

Just the art style and the music... it's all trying to make these hyper-epic transcendental events out of things that are also really ordinary and almost trivial & dumb scenes of everyday life. It's stupid and cool and epic and trying way too hard all at the same time. I dig it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12