TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games of 2019

Level 10,000 achieved

Games of 2019

2015-2018 were great years for games. And y’know, I don’t think 2019 quite matches up to those, but there were still some pretty good games this year!

My top 10

10. Gato Roboto (Switch)

Just a really solid metroidvania. Short and sweet.

9. Pistol Whip (PC VR)

I didn’t buy a lot of new VR games this year, but Pistol Whip still knocked my socks off and made me work up a sweat with its rhythm-based shooting.

8. American Fugitive (PC)

I was gonna make this game. I was gonna make the rural GTA1-alike! Well, these guys beat me to it, and they did a damn good job of it too.

7. Rats, Bats, n Bones (PC)

This game has so many great things. Rats. Bats. Hell, even bones! It’s impossible to pick my favourite thing about it! In case you hadn’t heard, this is a tower defence game by TTLGer smallfry, and it had me totally hooked for a good while during the early months of this year.

6. A Short Hike (PC)

I’ve seen people compare this to Animal Crossing and Breath of the Wild. For me it most reminded me of Little Big Adventure 2. I think what these games have in common is that they make you feel good. If you wanna have a good time, climbing a mountain and finding cool stuff, give A Short Hike a play today!

5. Wilmot’s Warehouse (PC)

A game about the joys of organizing things. I liked this so much it inspired me to start prototyping a new game. You’ll probably get to play it, at some point.

4. Void Bastards (PC)

A really dang cool and captivating strategy shooter, full of emergent gameplay and funny writing.

3. Control (PS4)

The game that made me feel most like a badass Jedi this year. (Oooh, sick burn, Jedi Fallen Order, ooooh)

2. Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

I’ve only played one RE game all the way through previously (RE4), so the amount to which this one engrossed me was one of my biggest gaming surprises of the year.

1. Death Stranding (PS4)

Stealth/action, physics-driven crosscountry hiking, stilt-trucks. Like Renz said, it’s a ”triple-A henke game”.

Honorable mentions:
    Noita [EA] (PC)
    Clam Man (PC)
    Ape Out (Switch)
    DIE HARD - A Christmas Blast (PC)
    Picross S3 (Switch)

Meh:
    New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Stormland, Pikuniku, Katana Zero

Need to give these a second chance:
    Baba Is You, Derail Valley, Descenders

Still wanna play:
    John Wick Hex, The Outer Worlds, The Outer Wilds

Our previous Best Games Of The Year lists
    2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010

Chakat sex pillow
    Uh, 2019 has had Disco Elysium and Outer Wilds along with Control, the three of which make this year better than the last two combined. And then there's Sekiro and DMC5 and The Outer Worlds to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    6. A Short Hike (PC) ... For me it most reminded me of Little Big Adventure 2.
    That's a heck of a sales pitch. It's cross-platform too. I should probably buy this.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I do wanna play Outer Wilds/Worlds, but I think Disco is just too wordy for my tastes. And I recently tried playing Nioh but it just reaffirmed that I’m still all Soul’d out, so it might be a few years before I feel like giving Sekiro a go.

Shadowcat, both A Short Hike and Wilmot’s Warehouse are in the Humble Trove, so if you ever subscribe to a month of that you can get em cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    10. Gato Roboto (Switch)

Just a really solid metroidvania. Short and sweet.
    Hmm, never had heard of this. I like the art style, and hey, it's on sale right now so why not?

I think I only played two 2019 games - Close to the Sun and Observation. They were both a bit disappointing, and for similar reasons. Close to the Sun randomly ended just when the plot was starting to get going, making it feel more like half a game. Observation just got weird in the end, something I've never been a fan of.

Chakat sex pillow
    Can you elaborate on the just weird bit? I thought Observation, while it didn't really fulfill its potential, wrapped up in a fairly decent way, all things considered.

I think a Short Hike was the only 2019 game I actually played, and it was brilliant.

It's been a while, but IIRC the ending of Observation didn't really feel like it resolved anything, it just came up with this strange multiple realities colliding thing, which felt like a cop-opt out to me. YMMV.

Of the games I played from this year, these are the ones I liked (in release order, I think). "Tier 1" basically means I got sucked into playing it, which doesn't necessarily mean it's objectively brilliant, but it's doing something right. Tier 2 I also thought were fun to play, but something is holding them back from Tier 1 level. Like Hinmo I play obsessively casually, but I recognize it's still a throw-away little casual platformer. The other usual suspects mentioned above aren't here just because I haven't played them yet.

Tier 1:
    Baba is You, A Plague Tale: Innocence, Disco Elysium, Noita, Risk of Rain 2

Tier 2:
    Hypnospace Outlaw*, Void Bastards, Crying Suns, Eliza*, Hinmo, Heaven's Vault*, Uboat

* Still early playing it, may get bumped up with more playtime.

Definitely Heaven's Vault for the language analysis part, the exploration, and the character interactions. After having played through it twice, there are still things left I want to try and closed off areas I might be able to access. Felt like nothing I had played before.

Lorelai (by Harvester games who also made The Cat Lady) for its mix of social realism and the supernatural.

Eastshade has to be here too. Mostly some innocent fun exploring and interacting. On the surface, it's a simple game about making friends. Looking a bit deeper, it's a game about making friends. The lessons learned or wisdoms gained are subtle and merely presented, not pushed. Still left me with a lasting impression when I was done.

What Never Was isn't on the list, but deserves a mention. Well-produced point'n'click puzzle game in 3D in a similar vein as The Room games. Also free. Very short, though, and apparently not meant to be continued, although I just learned that chapter II is being worked on.

Taking a break
    Didn't play much this year. I think my only new purchase was Devil May Cry 5.

Could have sworn we did one of these lists already months ago.

Anyways. I've not played much of 2019's releases. Of those that I did:

1. The 13th Doll - This is The 7th Guest 3 in all but name. I absolutely loved this. It's completely niche, and 8/10 people would hate it, but I don't care. On a side note, I was one of the few people streaming this game on release. Netted me an absolute ton of views + view time for my youtube channel .

2. Bloodstained - Now this was excellent. I'd have preferred 2D sprites over the 2.5D style they went with. Gameplay is great.

3. Phoenix Point - This game had me HOOKED from the get go. Then the save game corruptions started happening. Then the crashes, and then the major balancing issues that this game suffers from immensely. I'd been playing the game almost non stop for 2 weeks until I hit that point. So disappointed. Reading on the games forums, the balancing is due to the AI getting harder based on player performance. So if you save scum it actually makes the game harder. I'm not playing this again until they fix the corruptions and balancing.

4. Void Bastards - Starts out great and by the end it was extremely annoying. I'm never playing this again.

3 out of the 4 2019 games I played were games I backed. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Could have sworn we did one of these lists already months ago.
    You're most likely thinking of this one:

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2426198

And I haven't played any 2019 games I haven't listed there.

I think the most fun I had in 2019 was playing the retro shooters. Amid Evil, Ion Fury, and Dusk (technically 2018 by a couple of weeks) are all awesome and great throwback fun. I really don't even play games like this anymore, but I couldn't get enough of these particular titles. I'm still playing Ion Fury, but I'm also looking forward to Wrath in 2020.

Other Steam games I played from this year are Void Bastards, which was fun for the first 5-10 hours or so then got really repetitive and cumbersome, and I just lost interest. I also enjoyed playing a little Streets of Rogue and Heaven's Vault, but I need to put more time into them before giving them a thumbs up.

I really love games for my Switch, usually shorter indie titles. The best Switch games I played this year were Baba Is You, Forager, Reventure, and My Friend Pedro. Also put some time into Super Mario Maker 2, which is better than it's predecessors (although I miss being able to use the stylus from the Wii U).

I don't know if it's working for them, but thanks Epic for the over 50 free games I got this year from you. It did keep me coming back to their site, which I suppose is the whole point. And I did buy 3 games there this year (Ashen, Outer Wilds, and Observation), which are all supposed to be good, but that I've personally barely touched. I do think a little competition for Steam is a good thing, so I got over my dislike for Epic's store quickly (the free games didn't hurt).

I think the only AAA game I played this year was Days Gone, which was fun for awhile, but got old fast. I put it down and returned to it and then put it down again several times. The world is fun to explore, and getting around on a motorcycle sweetens the deal, but the objectives were progressively mundane and dull (get this thing, kill that guy, over and over), and the story never seemed to go anywhere. Maybe I'll finish it one day, but probably not. I did also buy Metro Exodus, but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

The Outer Worlds on the other hand was the biggest "FUCK YOU" to Bethesda, and showed that they (Bethesda) have really lost their way with Fallout and need to stop. Everything since Fallout 4 has been disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    The Outer Worlds on the other hand was the biggest "FUCK YOU" to Bethesda, and showed that they (Bethesda) have really lost their way with Fallout and need to stop. Everything since Fallout 4 has been disappointing.
    I'd say that everything made by Bethesda themselves since Shivering Isles for Oblivion has been disappointing.

I loved Skyrim and Fallout 3. So I had a very high opinion of them, right up to Fallout 4 before I got to play it.

Going from 3 & New Vegas to that, was just meh. Had everything that made a Fallout game taken out. Choice - Gone. Roleplaying (as anything other than a good guy) - Gone. Ability to play as different builds - Gone. Getting to see the effects of your choices and how they impacted on the Wastleland - Gone. There is only 2 good things in Fallout 4 - The S.P.E.C.I.A.L commercials, and the Silver Shroud quest line. Those were both awesome. Everything else was a MAJOR disappointment.

Fallout Shelter though. I liked that. Though even that needed more.

It's not like Fallout 3 had a lot of these things either.

3 had choice. Megaton. Come on .

And lots and lots of railroading otherwise. And it's not like nuking Megaton really has any far-reaching consequences. You still get an apartment to put your stuff in. The only thing that comes from that is that your dad furrows his brow and says he's disappointed in you.

Of course. But you still had choice in how to deal with people. Could roleplay etc. Not to the same level as New Vegas sure, but it's there.

Compare that with 4 where every conversation choice leads to the same outcome.

Chakat sex pillow
    FO3 had a fairly binary set of decision trees, and very few of those had any actual impact on anything. In terms of narrative design, it's legitimately as shallow as a puddle of radioactive piss. Let's also not forget that FO3's main quest was basically a bunch of what the fuckery with some Michael Bay tacked on in the end. Even Mass Effect did choice and consequence better.

I want to say it's a terrible all-around game, but that's not true: there's some fun to be had in its wasteland, and Beth's environmental design team came through as always; plus, it paved the way for FO:NV. In the end, it's a very middling game that managed to be a lot of people's introduction to the franchise - which is simultaneously an achievement and a travesty, but whatever.

Or compare with the previous game where you could play into people's prejudices and pretend to be an ignorant tribal, up to having a guy cut off their pinky to make a deal with you.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I keep track of my gaming in a Google Sheet. I know what you're thinking, "wow what a cool guy". Without further ado...

FINAL GAMING STATS 2019

Played games: 75 (PC: 45, PS4: 16, Switch: 9)

These were mostly 2019 releases, with the rest being from 2012-2018. I only included games I'd played any serious amount of time of, not stuff I just peeked at and then uninstalled.

Finished games: 39

Alrighty, that's more than half! What can we learn from this?

Conclusion: I have too much free time on my hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast