TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Dark Sector (2008). Warframe took the scrapped original vision for this game and they've left in lots of hints of it. Your rival in the game is a person in Tenno armour; you get your own Tenno armour late into the game; there's lotus logos all over the place.

Somewhere along the way the game gained a Gears of War aesthetic, which is fitting because there's cover shooter combat at its foundation. The differentiator to competing games is the glaive. You can throw it like a boomerang; you can take control and steer the glaive; throw the glaive at elemental sources around the level and you'll charge it up with that element:- fire, electricity or freezing. You remote detonate a thrown charged glaive. Combat with the glaive can be a lot of fun, mixing up tactics provided by your toybox of abilites/weapons and environmental opportunities (i.e. an element source). Later in the game you gain energy shield and cloaking powers. The novelty of running up an enemy while cloaked and a brutal melee takedown animation has yet to get old for me. Your various abilities and glaive options are used to solve gate puzzles to progress through the levels.

The story is pretty barebones. Feel free to ignore it and just enjoy the gameplay.

The game requires a couple INI tweaks to display properly on today's 16:9 monitors and increase the FOV. You need the Nvidia Physx Legacy driver installed too. I got a Steam key for the game several years ago, I have no idea if they're even still selling it.

Last edited by EvaUnit02; 11th Apr 2020 at 02:05.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I'll crosspost this from FB. These aren't really games, just pure walking sims. But pure walking sims in nature are kind of nice right now.

------------------

If you're feeling cooped up, an Itch dev called caves rd has made three free walking sims for the PC where you basically walk around a great expanse of nature, one set in the Fushimi Inari Shrine complex in Kyoto, one in a forest in New Zealand, and one in a wide Iceland moor. Although it's virtual, it still feels very nice to walk around this kind of nature and take in the sights and the atmospheric music.

You can just walk around and explore and nothing else, but if you want a little interactivity, the game does reward you with a little bell when you find and take photos of a set of listed landmarks. So that makes it a nice kind of exploration game on the side. But the walk alone is worth everything. They're very peaceful & I recommend them to everyone. Good for the soul.

You can get them from here:
    https://cavesrd.itch.io/kyoto
    https://cavesrd.itch.io/newzealand
    https://cavesrd.itch.io/iceland
    Nice -- more podcast games to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    It gets a little more variety, but at 3 tile and enemy sets, it is pretty limited. Still liked it though.

As for me, I picked up The Return of the Obra Dinn for the Switch last night. It's really interesting, and is really scratching this detective game itch I've been feeling for the last few days.
    Return of the Obra Dinn is fantastic and singular. Your deficiencies as a detective are compensated for by the fact that you can outright guess once you've narrowed down the possibilities far enough, but no guessing is necessary. After I finished, I looked up details on the identities I couldn't figure out, and realized they made perfect sense. I'm rather proud that I figured out the Chinese deckhands on my own, though.

In a just world, this game would spawn an entire genre of its own. If I Wanna Be The Guy can spawn a genre, the bar isn't set <i>that</i> high.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    As well as continuing my play through of Fallout New Vegas, I've started a new play through of Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3 (via emulation).

At this point in time, not many of the games that I REALLY liked on the PS3 work well under emulation, but this is one of the exceptions. I love the Resistance games with their alternate history setting, of a world where an alien invasion happened just prior to when WW2 would have started. The second game in particular had outstanding multiplayer stuff. The third I've yet to do a full play through of. Will have to change that in the future.
    Wow didnt know about PS3 emulation yet. I remember this game and Killzone, maybe you have already play it.

I just started the blackout club (https://www.blackoutclubgame.com/). I'm digging the feel and it has some very thiefy stealth elements and is made by I think some former LGS/Ion Storm people. I'm working on getting my friends into it because its coop.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Since finishing Dark Sector, I wanted to delve deeper into Digital Extreme's back catalogue and so I'm playing Pariah (2005). It was DE's first game after breaking ties with Epic (they co-developed the first several Unreal/Unreal Tournament games with them).

The game is solid yet unremarkable, you tell it's very much influenced by Halo's gameplay style. Combat is slow, cautious and centred around popping it out from behind cover. I.e. they definitely designed around playing with a controller. The crosshair blooms the more you consistently fire (i.e. your accuracy decreases) so get used doing controlled bursts and firing whilst crouching.

The game isn't particular difficult at all:- the A.I. is dumb, they'll often just stand around and let you nail them. Every gun has it a purpose, every gun remains useful throughout the campaign. Eg the starter SMG is hitscan, so it's great for all engagement lengths, even sniping using controlled bursts.

There's a weapon upgrade system that you would have no idea existed you hadn't read the manual (which can be found on Replacementdocs). You collect floating tokens throughout the level and they act as currency to buy upgrades. I was prompted to track down the manual as I had no idea what the tokens did. Each weapon can be upgraded three times, the different upgrades buff stats (eg reload speed) and add new unique behaviours to the guns. Eg the Grenade Launcher gains manual detonation of rounds. The game uses a hybrid of health pickups and regen health. You have segmented regen health blocks. You use a medical tool to restore lost health blocks, which is worked into world building, since the protagonist is a medical doctor.

The story is basic yet solid. You're playing a medical doctor transporting a quarantined virus carrier woman off world. Your transport gets attacked and the game starts from there. It's a cliched plot of you protecting a special person from people trying to kill them. Formulaic plots are refreshing these days, there's too much post-modernism horseshit in storytelling in recent times.

The game can't be bought new anywhere since the publisher went out of business several years ago, so feel free to pirate it. You require a cracked EXE to disable the SecuROM DRM, which doesn't work under Windows 10. It's powered by Unreal Engine 2.0, so common UE INI tweaks for increasing FOV, using custom resolutions, disabling/enabling graphical effects, etc work. I.e. console commands and INI variables used by UT2k4.

Resources I used to help set up the game:-
    https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Pariah
    https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2016/01/08/pariah/ (https://archive.vn/U2UIe)
    You definitely want to do the "Flashing screen glitch when running on modern hardware" fix.

Last edited by EvaUnit02; 12th Apr 2020 at 12:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Varen View Post
    Wow didnt know about PS3 emulation yet. I remember this game and Killzone, maybe you have already play it.
    For a better impression of how it looks, watch this one:

Or for some all out war bits:

Major spoiler warning obviously. If you can picture Medal of Honor / Call of Duty set within an alien invasion of Earth, then that pretty much sums up the Resistance games. Really good stuff. When I recorded the first video, I was still getting the settings right for capturing gameplay within Streamlabs OBS. Got it right from the second video onward.

After finishing Far Cry Primal, I moved on to Rise of the Tomb Raider. Fun game, definitely improved from the previous Tomb Raider game. Just got a newerish video card, and the game is gorgeous on it. Still not crazy about the combat parts, but it seems they toned it down a bit. Also, thankfully, far less timed running sequences/QTEs. And there's more actual tomb raiding and exploring. I know, I know, I'm about 4 years behind the curve on this one, but imo the game still looks and plays great today.

And I'm usually not a "collect everything" type of player, but for some reason on this and FC Primal, I'm feeling the need to find every single collectible. Very weird, because it's usually the type of gaming I despise.

And it may seem like a no brainer, but man this game is...I don't want to say easier...but maybe far less frustrating on PC than on PS4. Nothing like good old mouse/kb controls. I think I'm ditching all my PS4 games that require any kind of precise aiming, they're just not fun with a controller.

Shadow is a much bigger improvement than Rise imo. WAY more emphasis on actually raiding tombs, especially in the definitive version.

Still, the tombs in Shadow are the same short self-contained areas - there's just a lot more of them. I hope that if the series is rebooted they'll return to the giant labyrinthine tombs of old.

Played some more Trine 4. We had a bitch of a time with the final boss until we remembered dodging was a thing.

So I'm still gradually working my way through a big backlog of games (I had about 14 on the PC and maybe twice that across Playstations 2, 3 and 4.)

My PC backlog is finally nearing the end, and I'm now going back to games to play through the DLC that I hadn't gotten around to playing the first time. I just finished Shadow Warrior 2 (replayed the whole game to get the most out of the integrated "Bounty Hunt" DLC) and will now be moving onto the DLC for Bioshock Infinite, followed by Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I had crashing issues with both of those games in the past so I'm hoping my new PC will handle them better.

On the console front, I'm sticking with PS2-era for now. Gungrave Overdose is offering some mindless shooting fun, but man why does every Japanese game I play seem to love having really long cutscenes?

Thing What Kicks
    @Darkforge, having been on a bit of a Dishonored binge recently, I though I'd give Mankind Divided another go too, but quickly ran in to framerate issues and the inability to invert mouse. My system's no slouch, so the tanking FPS on that first level is massively disappointing, and was reminiscent of the last time I tried to run it; that was with a GTX1070, this time was with an RTX2080 Super. I honestly can't remember performance being this bad the first time I played the game on release, but I think I did turn lots of stuff down to get it running.
    The invert mouse thing however seems to be an ongoing problem, and as the game's not really being developed any more, probably unlikely to get fixed.

It was enough to make me think "Yeah, I can't be arsed with this."

I played Blasphemous over the past weeks. I loved the world it takes place in, this twisted brutal catholic-ish setting was really unique and itriguing, even if the lore was quite vague. The visual style added to the atmosphere too, the areas, the enemy and boss designs, etc. were all great, and that's coming from someone who doesn't like pixelart. As for the gameplay, I think it was ... okay. The combat was quite simple, and I feel that most of the items and spells weren't strong and useful enough. At least the enemies had great variety and all fought and had to be fought differently, which was nice. Gotta say though, precision platforming with instakill drops is my bane, and there were plenty in this game. One of the reasons I'm wary of 2D platformers. On the whole, the game was difficult, but manageable, apart from some really hard bosses (the final boss was particularly ridiculous).

The metroidvania aspect was strange, as all the movement related abilities you get are not required to progress, they're just for finding secret stuff. There were many of those at least, and on the whole I liked the world design, which was huge, non linear and had lots to explore. Btw, I wish the game supported the mouse. It's not necessary, but I only used two buttons with my right hand anyway (attack/block) and it would've been more convenient to click. Anyway, I checked out both endings, and collected most stuff, the only thing left are the children of moonlight, but for those, even with a guide I would have to comb through the entire game world again, and I'm not sure I'm willing to do that right now. Still, I enjoyed the game. I do think that the world, visuals and the lore carried it, but it was a fun experience.

Not a game that we're likely to ever see sequel to also.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    @Darkforge, having been on a bit of a Dishonored binge recently, I though I'd give Mankind Divided another go too, but quickly ran in to framerate issues and the inability to invert mouse. My system's no slouch, so the tanking FPS on that first level is massively disappointing, and was reminiscent of the last time I tried to run it; that was with a GTX1070, this time was with an RTX2080 Super. I honestly can't remember performance being this bad the first time I played the game on release, but I think I did turn lots of stuff down to get it running.
    The invert mouse thing however seems to be an ongoing problem, and as the game's not really being developed any more, probably unlikely to get fixed.

It was enough to make me think "Yeah, I can't be arsed with this."
    Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up on that one, Malf. Yeah, a little concerning if you're still getting issues with it on an RTX 2080 Super - I've got a 2080 Ti so I'd imagine maybe a similar outcome for me?

To be honest, as long as I can actually play the game this time without it crashing to desktop every five minutes or so, then I probably won't be too worried. In any case, a 2080 Ti has surely got to handle it better than the card in my last PC when I did get all those issues (a GTX 680) so hopefully the only way is up!

I had similar issues, using a 2080 Ti, but with some tweaks it was definitely playable. Not that it should've needed those tweaks, but it seems the game is very badly optimised. I remember it getting better once you're past the tutorial, though I can't remember whether that was because of me changing some of the settings.

I enjoyed Mankind Divided well enough in the end, but I wasn't as convinced by Prague as some were. It didn't feel particularly alive to me and it all felt rather narrow.

Chakat sex pillow
    For Mankind Divided, running with MSAA and contact shadows on is a pretty bad set of choices if you're just twisting all the dials to the right.

Kludging MSAA with a deferred renderer especially is a questionable choice from a programming point of view, never mind what it does to performance in any scenario. It runs fine at 1440p on a 1070 Ti if you turn that off, so I'm pretty sure 2160p is within spitting distance for the 2080x cards - there's just one point of weirdness with the takedown animations dropping the framerates.

RE: Prague, or any Deus Ex hub, I've never felt any of them as particularly 'alive' but Prague also didn't feel 'narrow' - that implies constrained, but I'd say that's not quite it. I've played through lots of hubs that were small in terms of real-estate but didn't feel small because they were riddled with paths to areas and made good use of verticality. If anything, Prague's pretty and decently wide, but for all the apparent traversable areas it's still fairly empty in terms of meaningful real estate - there's side missions but they don't really open up the city's areas in any way that adds to or reconfigures your mental map of it.

Yeah, I think that fits my own impressions. Most Dishonoured levels feel bigger than they really are, because there's variation in terms of style, scale, horizontality and verticality. With Prague, I never really got that sense. Some of the individual levels, perhaps, but Prague itself felt smaller than it was in terms of virtual real estate. It feels corridory, even if it isn't really. It isn't quite "a maze of twisty little passages, all alike", but it felt like it to me.

A maze of twisty little passages with conspicuously placed air vents, all alike.

The further we get from the 3 Eidos Montreal games, the more I think fondly of the gameplay and the less I think fondly of everything else.

Yeh HR is actually smaller than MD, but even going back and replaying it now it just feels bigger, somehow. I guess having two different city hubs helped.

Almost done with Assassin’s Creed 3, and I’d forgotten how stupid the writing gets, especially with respect to character motivations. Haytham Kenway would be interesting, but so much what he does makes little to no sense. It’s even worse with Connor towards the end of the game.

It’s where the game focuses on the homestead that it works best for me. The writing is still not great, but it’s much more about small but meaningful character beats rather than supposedly grand plans that are as boneheaded as they come.

I have to say: sometimes I find it amazing how much bad work Ubisoft gets away with in their games. They have some things they do really well, but it’s just so clear that in other respects they either don’t have the talent or they don’t give them the necessary weight and resources. There’s always tons of potential, but so much of it is squandered every single time.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, I'm playing Origins at the moment. I've just finished the main story and have moved on to the first of the DLCs.
    The world is stunning, but the story delivery is... bad.
    I think the one that jarred for me the most was a quest shortly after picking the game up again. First minute I meet a family, second minute the little girl shows me the spot she plays in, then next minute she's dead and Bayek is eulogising like he's known her for years. All while being delivered with the dullest voice acting I've experienced in a while. Not outright bad, so to speak, but just boring.

I'm also really not a fan of them introducing levelling and bullet-sponges (for want of a better term). There's a lot of artificial difficulty which I felt the last game in the series I played (Black Flag) was missing, and better for it.
    I think I'm going to have to cleanse my palate by spending some quality time with my favourite barcoded baldy before moving on to Odyssey .

Thing What Kicks
    Also, WTF is up with all the bad combovers in Origins?

Hm let's see.

* Stardew Valley: So, last winter I was obsessed with Stardew Valley. Holy smokes, the amount of time I spent initially was huge. Now that the community center is built it kind of wavered off. I was generally not feeling so great last winter, so to dive into the valley at the end of the day was just so cute and refreshing.

* Deus Ex - Human Revolution & Mankind Divided: I never had the chance to play the latest two Deus Ex Games until now. For some reason I like Human Revolution better. It gave me the same kind of vibe like the original. The amount of detail in Mankind Divided throws me off a little, as well as the endless conversations. I found it hard to follow the plot.

* Far Cry Primal: What a beautiful game. Have you ever been to Disney and visited the Avatar themed 3D Ride? That's how I felt playing that game. The first few hours are just stunningly beautiful. You should play with headphones - the sound effects make the world feel so much more alive.

* Kingdom Come: Deliverance: Good looking game. I found the controls to be awkward. I guess it takes some time to get used to. I haven't played it much. After the first escape on horse to the other castle I wasn't too engaged in the story line to care enough to continue. I will have to pick it up again soon.

I played Life is Strange 2, which ran surprisingly well on my aging system at full HD high details (I thought it wise not to try the ultra detail mode).

Now while this is the kind of game I really enjoy, that doesn't mean I can recommend it to everyone. When I say game, I mean more like interactive story. This is even less of an actual game with challenging gameplay than the first one was. The light puzzle elements the first game had here and there are gone, this is all about the story, the characters and the decisions you choose to make, often on a moral level. If that doesn't sound like your thing, it probably isn't. The game worked for me because I found it easy to care about Sean, Daniel and their adventures. If the story doesn't connect with you, there's not much left to enjoy.

I thought the game looked and sounded wonderful, with atmospheric visuals (UE4 engine), mournful music and stellar voice acting. I found Sean and Daniel believable characters, in fact I found the way Daniel acted more believable as a kid than Clementine (and the voice actor did a better job IMHO) from Walking Dead S1. I liked the subtle nod to the first game in the last chapter.

Each of the five chapters has one or more idle areas where you can just explore, look at stuff and talk to people. This really helps to set the mood. Then something happens that heightens the tension and events escalate. I was actually hooked by the story. Some people are put off by how earnest and sincere the Life is Strange games are, it's all very straight-faced. Furthermore, this game is not afraid to take political stances. I appreciate that but some people might be put off.

There are 4 endings, 2 of which have some minor variations. They depend on your morality level and the final choice you make. For people who have played the game, I got the 'Redemption' ending sadly without Lyla waiting for Sean at prison release, because I chose not to contact her out of concern for her safety, which really hit home for me that doing the morally right things in life might cost you, which I personally found to be true in life and also rings true with my religious beliefs. I was moved by this game on a personal level. But if you're looking for actual meaty gameplay with a fair amount of substance, look elsewhere. If you do like these kind of interactive stories, you might or might not connect with Life is Strange 2. It's hard to say, sometimes a story clicks, sometimes it doesn't. I remember being captivated by Starcraft's story and unable to care about Warcraft 3's (I quit halfway through the Undead campaign) despite being the same genre and same company and maybe even same writers. That's why I don't know whether to recommend Life is Strange 2 despite really liking it myself.

There's a free trial of the first episode on Steam if you want to try it. I recommend playing it with a controller instead of keyboard and mouse.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast