TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345671217 ... LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

I made the mistake of heading for the snowy area, early on, with only 2 bile containers. So I hit, what for me has (so far) been the hardest area in the game. Then I cleared 90% of it, besides some areas which had poisonous clouds that I couldn't get past. Encountered a boss there which was by far the hardest one I've fought so far. After something like 20 tries beat it. Then headed off to where I really should have gone earlier (to the right side of the map), and found that area to be an absolute walk in the park in comparison. Plus I found something like 4 empty bile containers there. Then found the NPC that for some currency can turn them into working health containers. Towards the end of that bit, I got some health and mana (fervor) upgrades, resistance to the poison clouds + ability to see hidden platforms.

All of that combined made the game much easier. Though a long the way, I got way better at the combat. So it's a combination of all of it.

I'd not put Blasphemous in the same bag as standard Metroidvania's. To me it's Dark Souls if it was in 2D, and with a warped catholic religion angle. If you think of the way Dark Souls works, it's much like a Metroidvania but in 3D and a high difficulty.

Agreed on most of the weirdest bits being at the start. Though I say that, and today have seen several equally weird bits. Like the naked lady with all the swords impaled in her, which each time you meet her she rips one out and the 3 faces (in the one head) naked lady. With all the odd talk about guilt, torment, holy miracles etc, it makes me wonder if the whole game is supposed to be set in limbo (the dimension between heaven and hell). I absolutely adore the art style, and the music is just fantastic in several regions. Some of it gives me Diablo 1 vibes, as it has that familiar guitar riff to it.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I just wanted the Dark Souls feels without it being a whole, exhausting Dark Souls thang.
    That's kinda impossible, man. You can't slice out the arduousness and the difficulty from a Dark Souls game without losing part of what makes it Dark Souls in the process. You essentially get an esoteric Metroidvania then, of which there are plenty as everyone else has suggested.

N.B.: Blasphemous is definitely Dark Souls inspired, even going so far as to include parrying, but it's more or less a metroidvania.

I can't say I know the genres well enough to get involved in a genre discussion, but for me the thing that makes Hollow Knight feel surprisingly like Dark Souls (or indeed Demon Souls) is the combination of tone and theme. I agree that Hollow Knight is cutesy and cartoony, but for me that effect skims on the surface of a deep melancholy and a sense of a world passing, or having passed already. In terms of gameplay and gating, Hollow Knight is clearly pure Metroidvania, with many of the upgrades coming straight from Metroid & Co, but the feeling this game evokes is *so* close to the feeling I get when I think of the Maiden's line at the Nexus: "... so the world might be mended." I can't think of many games that deliver this particular brand of melancholy as well. (I do wonder occasionally what, for want of a better name, a Hollow Knight Prime would look like and if it'd even be possible to translate Hollow Knight's aesthetic and tone into 3D.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I agree that Hollow Knight is cutesy and cartoony, but for me that effect skims on the surface of a deep melancholy and a sense of a world passing, or having passed already.
    Can't argue with that. Melancholy is a good word to describe it indeed - there's that melancholic feel in both Hollow Knight and Dark Souls that you managed to put into words. What Blasphemous lacks in melancholy, though, it makes up for in cruel weirdness.

I think I've progressed quite far in Blasphemous now. It's a metroidvania alright, but at times there's way too much running back and forth in the game. Not just because I'm dying a lot - this game isn't really that difficult - but I often have no idea where I'm supposed to go and what I'm supposed to do next. I'm still enjoying the ride, but I'm starting to hope that this isn't a very long game.

And yeah, the music reminded me of Diablo too!

I can't think of many games that deliver this particular brand of melancholy as well.
    I tried to search my mind for examples, and instead what popped up was Tolkien.

Taking a break from Super Mario Odyssey (whose secret level is a terror), I'm playing a silly but engrossing browser game called Evolve. It's pretty much what Spore was trying to be, helped by being all text.

Currently playing Lego Batman on Wii with my kid.

Not that anybody cares. This is just an example of the kind of post that's harmless in a megathread, but wouldn't justify a separate thread.

Still Subjective
    I'm being incredibly boring and playing Death Stranding and Spiderman on PS4.

And still playing Company of Heroes 2 on PC.

I guess I'll finish Wolfenstein on PC this year, finally.

The only game I'm looking to buy this year is Horizon Zero Dawn.

Level 10,000 achieved

Sokpop roundup

In case ya hadn't heard, the Sockpop collective are a group of young game developers who's mission is to make the rest of us look lazy by releasing 2 games per month. I played their 3 latest games, here's WOT I THINK.

Blue Drifter

Blade Runner by way of Bernband. Take on a job, identify the target, eliminate them, get out clean, get the bounty, go to space. Took around 15 min to play through, short but sweet.

Goblet Cave

Spelunking in a procedurally generated cave. I was gonna make this game! In fact I have a rough prototype from a few years back of something kinda like this. This is not bad, though I didn't get very far on my first attempt, will need to try again at some point.

Deer Hunter II

Mostly these Sokpop games are little more than a neat idea of a game, but this one actually has some meat on its bones. I ended up playing it for a couple hours today, and got quite close to beating it, I think, but eventually gave up. Relatively big world to explore and some solid gameplay systems lead to neat moments of emergent gameplay, like when I realized I could throw a rock to scare a deer to come closer.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Also just finished...

GRIS (Switch)

Very beautiful platformer with slick controls and some pretty fun movement mechanics. Low on difficulty tho, and the story isn't much to write home about. Style over substance really. Hell of a style though.

Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4)

You might've read my bellyaching about the infuriating combat on the last page, but after I turned down the difficulty I started enjoying it a lot more. The metroidvania-structured levels are a lot of fun to explore, and I liked all the little readables that fleshed out the world. Best, and most surprising of all, was how much I enjoyed the story and the characters. I think this Star Wars story might've engrossed me more than any of the new movies did.

Chakat sex pillow
    Wait, did you try playing SWJFO on Jedi Grandmaster difficulty first? Because that's definitely not something that'd be fun (did you see what it does to the parry window gauge when choosing the difficulty level!?). Jedi Master seems just about right.

Level 10,000 achieved
    No, started on Jedi Master, turned it down to Jedi Knight.

I was about to start a new thread about The Occupation (by White Paper Games), a game that I have finally started playing, but why, oh why, did I press the back button? Oh well, it's a chance to write a better post -- I guess -- if I write it at all, that is. Judging from the intro mission, which is all that I have played so far, the game wants to be an immersive sim and it does give off a vibe of being one, but, unfortunately, it doesn't go all the way. With that said, though, the game does show a lot of promise (immersive sim or not): good writing and voice acting so far, and the story and gameplay makes me want to continue, and, well, it makes me want to like it and see past its flaws.

The game is about certain political events, causing protests and riots, and the politicians themselves might have the start of a revolution on their hands. You play as an investigative journalist trying to uncover The Truth, by sort of moving in a legally grey area, bypassing curfews and security (even in your own workspace). The game starts in your office building -- or slightly outside it -- as you're hiding on one of those ledges that aren't proper balconies (accessible only through a window), waiting for things to calm down, so you can go back in and do what you need to do without getting caught. The night guard is keeping an eye on things, but there are a couple of different ways to bypass them.

I might try to start that thread again when I have played more, and write about why it might be an immersive sim -- and why it's not.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    No, started on Jedi Master, turned it down to Jedi Knight.
    Fair 'nuff.

So, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. I finished it. Pretty good, all in all. Performance is a bit weird because it rubs up against UE4's streaming issues in places, apart from which it looks beautiful and runs well. The level design is kind of fun? I guess? It never escaped the feeling of being slightly elevated busywork to me. The locations are gorgeous, with a wonderful sense of scale; but they don't really have that sense of architectural flow you'd get from a Dark Souls or a Sekiro (or an Ico, or The Last Guardian) where spaces intuitively connect in your head. There's also no bonfire - well, meditation circle - teleport option*. Because of this, it's tiring remembering all the shortcuts and the anonymous areas they lead to, because the in-game 3D map looks like something out of Descent. Descent! I would have loved for the ability to at least annotate the thing with markers ('spider fuckmung enclave', 'cart ride to hard drive lockup town', 'walking carpet retreat centre', etc.) so I could remember which part was which.

The combat's great, though. As you get more moves and get to do more fun stuff, the game amps up the threat level too, so it's not very difficulty spikey. Some of the bosses can wallop you but good, but it's generally a more forgiving game than a Sekiro or a Dark Souls where you health bar gets polejumped over by a random boss, then seized and rammed up your arse and YOU HAVE DIED becomes the new benchmark pattern for monitor burn-in. It's generally rewarding to measure out your response and react to enemies instead of spamming every move possible. As much as I liked it though, it does lack Sekiro's precision-engineered slash and clang. (Also, it has this very odd thing in combat where it seems to either miss your input for a health stim, or register it but not do anything [which you can tell when Cal asks BD-1 for a pick me up, and... he just sits there]. This is probably because enemy attack animations colliding with your hit box cancel the health stim, but it's not always obvious why it's cancelled in medium to long-range situations.)

Story's okay. It's got some fun callbacks, some decent setup, and a few standout moments. (Apart from BD-1 being adorable, it's nice to see Debra Wilson again after her standout turn in Wolfenstein: The New Colossus.) All in all, a decent to good Star Wars game with some obviously great talent behind it. Yes! Now please make more, and let them take some fucking risks already, Lucasfilm.

*Not even in the post-game. In a game about going back and forth and scouring levels for stuff. Wut the eff. While the simple reason for this is they didn't pipeline it properly for the way the campaign's designed if they'd unlocked teleporting, the only reason to not do it after you've finished the game is because they couldn't work it out in time, or their issues with UE4 I/O streaming were simply too large.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 11th Jan 2020 at 01:49.

Yesterday I started playing the last of Hitman’s “Patient Zero” missions, where you have to kill the titular Patient Zero, a cultist infected with a doomsday virus and anyone else who’s been infected. Less than a minute into the episode, Diane pipes up, telling you that another person’s been infected and now you have to kill them too.

There and then, this felt way too stressful, so I hoped out and launched Pilgrims instead, a small Amanita adventure game that’s got more personality than most 80-hour epics. Like their Chuchel, this is so uniquely Amanita that I couldn’t imagine anyone else making it. The graphics, reminiscent of weird ‘70s and ‘80s animated children’s series from the Eastern Bloc, the music, the solutions to the (very simple) puzzles: the game is a joy to watch and listen to, even if the gameplay itself isn’t much to write home about - though I like how all the characters and objects are turned into playing cards that you combine. It’s about five dollars for perhaps an hour, with some replay ability value; if, like me, you don’t really do these calculations, this is definitely worth it, though if you want a more substantial P&C game, you might be a bit disappointed by the length.

Started playing Steep, because it was free. I haven't gone downhill in several decades, so I can't say much about how it compares to real life, but I'm having fun with it, and that's enough for me right now (although I do wish I could do it for real again, but that's another story). The controls feel fluid, and there seems to be a good balance between player skill and character skill. My favourite so far is the snowboard; it's something I never tried for real and I find it easier to get into than the squirrel suit and the rocket wings. The latter is fun too, but will take a lot more practise. I've had only one bug so far where I couldn't finish a previously paused side-quest.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I thought A Plague Tale looked pretty generic/derivative when the first gameplay videos came out and ignored it since, but after dema rated it so highly in the GOTY thread I decided to pick it up in the current PS4 sale, aaaaand ended up spending most of the weekend with it! Currently on chapter 12. It's good. It reminds me of The Last Of Us, at times. But like, not in a boring rip-off/retread way, but in a good way. Will write more once I've finished it.

Been playing Sundered over the weekend due to it being an EGS freebie. Currently near the end of my second playthrough and my only real gripe is the camera zoom during boss battles. Getting a full view of the massive bosses is neat, but it also means you're zoomed out so far that your character is only a couple of pixels tall a lot of the time, which can make dodging the waves of attacks troublesome. Other than that, it's a fun metroidvania I recommend trying out if you're interested in the genre, especially a the current EGS price point.

Apparently they're making a Receiver 2 but it looks like all they updated is the graphics.

Thing What Kicks
    Yesterday I started playing the last of Hitman’s “Patient Zero” missions, where you have to kill the titular Patient Zero, a cultist infected with a doomsday virus and anyone else who’s been infected. Less than a minute into the episode, Diane pipes up, telling you that another person’s been infected and now you have to kill them too.
    There's one particular person you can knock out which will prevent the spread of the virus completely. If you don't mind it being spoiled, the way to do it is here: https://youtu.be/V1-mpuAGRFU?t=135

But yeah, it's not the best Hitman mission. I get that they're trying to shake things up; but in a game where so much is about taking your time and observing things, this being on a timer feels like control slips out of your hands far too easily.
    And without guides to help, there's few to no hints as to how to prevent the spread.

Yeah, I might try to have another go and just try to relax into things, but it's exactly what you said: the way I play Hitman, it's all about taking my time, getting to know the place, but also seeing what opportunities I am presented with if I go left and follow this guard as opposed to going right and sneaking into the kitchen. Add the kind of pressure that Patient Zero's Hokkaido mission does and I appreciate what they're doing in an academic sense, but I cannot enjoy it the way I generally enjoy Hitman. It doesn't help that I really don't enjoy the idea of killing (relative) innocents in games.

If I can't get myself into the right mindset for the mission, I will resort to knocking out the nurse and then playing the level as I would play any level.

Thing What Kicks
    That's how I ended up doing it, and that allowed me to have the usual fun I have with Hitman missions.
    It's weird, as it's almost old-school Hitman in its design. Where all other modern Hitman missions offer plentiful tips and "Opportunities" to direct your play, this part of Patient Zero offers you no hint as to how to best approach it.

And that was my frustration with a lot of the older games in the series. Fantastic levels I wanted to delve in to and explore, but very few clues as to how to approach them, instead relying on the player having the patience to play them over and over again in order to determine the best route to Silent Assassin.

Thankfully, they haven't repeated this in any of the newer stuff, so I'm taking it as a failed experiment.

I can imagine it very much appeals to some people playing the game, but as the final instalment in a mini series of missions it has proven to be something of a roadblock. I think I'd already react differently to it if it was contextualised differently, e.g. as a Halloween special, with a bunch of serial killer and movie monster outfits and murder weapons available in the level. Or make everyone at the private hospital comically evil. But the way they've peopled their levels with a mix of douchebags, working stiffs and random people who just happen to be there, the mission's pretty much designed to make me feel bad about what is going on, unless I distance myself from the premise, and that's just not how I tend to play games.

On a different note, I decided to play Gato Roboto instead. It's a lovely, charming, retro-but-not-overly-pandering Metroidvania with some very cute, neatly crafted 1-bit art and animations. It definitely makes for a good change of scenery after I've mainly been playing Hitman and Dishonored 2.

Last night I finished off Blasphemous. Man what a real downer of an ending. Then I looked it up and that was the "bad ending". So did what I had to and got the "Good Ending" which was just a slightly less but definitely still a real downer of an ending. Hmm.

Still an excellent game, and I am glad that I backed it. Great gameplay, very good art and great music. It's just the setting that is just so damn odd.

And even after you beat the game, nothing improves. The worlds still fucked. Gah.
    Last edited by icemann; 13th Jan 2020 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Last night I finished off Blasphemous. Man what a real downer of an ending. Then I looked it up and that was the "bad ending". So did what I had to and got the "Good Ending" which was just a slightly less but definitely still a real downer of an ending. Hmm.

Still an excellent game, and I am glad that I backed it. Great gameplay, very good art and great music. It's just the setting that is just so damn odd.

And even after you beat the game, nothing improves. The worlds still fucked. Gah.
    the "true ending" and sort of ultimate good, is hidden. To get it you should spoil the pearl by dying three times, then when having pearl equipped in the rosary going to every chapel which removes guilt, and take the challenge. After destroying all the chapels you go to kill the last boss, and achieve true ending, in which mea culpa takes to itself all the guilt of the world, and the penitent one becames the savior by bearing the guilt of the world.

My five cents about blasphemous. I am critic towards the base of the world of: "twisted, brutal catholicism". I wish the ingame world could have more layers in lore. Besides blindly faithful mob cruel with strong cancel culture stink. Just let the game introduce there could be more about different kind of views of Cvstodia people. More time spent on writing/worldbuilding and it would be great. Yet I hope the studio will manage to create another game in this universe.

I read in artbook about the Miracle and I like the idea of pure energy/magic, that becomes sacred, yet untaimed. So gifted by miracle are blessed and cursed at the same time. .
    I bought the game for art design which is amazing, and I absolutely love, EVERYTHING is based on Andalusia - the region developers comes from. Designs and story wise. Mix of very twisted folklore of christianity and islam. It gives extra info to the world and team tells about inspirations from real life buildings, folklore elements, art pieces and local crafting.

I decided to give a try to the Styx games.

I am at third/fourth mission of the Master of Shadows and while most of the sneaking part is quite chill, I am not a fan of the level designs. The areas are so "empty" and discouraging to explore. To get the extra objectives done, you just need go further else in a place which is drawn on map, and thats it. I feel no motivation to seek for the tokens. No reading, very little to hear from guards, no interesting rooms visually.
    What annoys me is no rope/chain climbing (while there is wall climbing, the maps are very vertical, and there are chains and ropes hanging around tempting to be used.), and only you can extinguish one kind of fire, only throw projectiles when game decides to do that. Its not as bad as that one fourth game, yet its annoying.
    And I wish we could interact with objects, the ragdoll stumbles that makes noise are great, but I wish I could pick the object and place it back, or move around to help myself.

The plot seems interesting so far, but I am prepared to be dissappointed with how everything will ends. Besides I hope the second game will be better with the problems I mentioned.

If you see my link under "Good Ending". That's me getting the good ending. I still don't see it as a majorly good ending. Just a less bad one. The world's still completely screwed. You'd think some group would have been like "This is bullshit". But every last person is a devout believer.

I spent quite some time, getting to all the areas I'd not been to yet, which in itself required completing a few side quests. Fun little diversion. The only one I didn't finish, was finding all the the Children of of Moonlight. I had that down to 4 left. Can't be bothered searching the entire game for them. The most tense side quest I had, was one where you had to kill 3 specific enemies without dying, or using teleporters and then making it back to where you got the item (a chalice). That one took me a while.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345671217 ... LastLast