TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5101520212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: What ARE you playing in 2020?

Still playing No Man's Sky. A major annoyance in the game is the respawning trees and ground soil. Why is that an annoyance? Because they spawn in your bases. Besides going upwards, I've not found a working solution to it, beyond manually removing them when they appear. It's most prominent, in bases not visited in a while, and it makes underground bases next to impossible unless you like digging them out of soil often.

Just late last week, on a extreme toxic hazard planet, thought I'd dig out and build a working underground road to a Activated Cadmium site quite a distance from my base (about 5 minutes travel via vehicle). Even digging it out and getting half of the road down took an absolute mountain of resources vs just doing above ground and up high. Had to give up on it and opt for an above ground high road, after encountering large sections (on returning to the planet via teleport) re-filled in with soil. Just got to a point where it wasn't viable after having this happen many times. A shame. The fun side is in the building of the roads and paths to the things + bases in general.

Other glitches still in the game - Non-destroyable plant life and terrain, animals popping about the screen randomly, not appearing next to the teleporter (sometimes) when arriving at a planet, randomly scoring new alien language words when teleporting and more. It's a hard game to explain in a sentence, which I had to try to do last week as part of my teaching job. It used to be about getting to the center of the galaxy (which still is a primary goal), but it's also about going through the main story now, building bases, getting better ships, building up a frigate fleet, maxing out your inventory + ship inventory, finding the materials to build / repair ship systems. There is just so much to the game.

I've been playing Superhot VR on PS4 - the game just seems so perfect for VR. Lots of really cool, matrix type scenarios, with bad guys on all sides, and split second decisions to make. Then over the weekend I realized I've got the regular PC version in my Steam inventory, and had never played it, so I plowed through that in about 3 hours. Both versions are a blast, the VR version providing more depth and immersion but the PC version giving you much more mobility. It's a good thing that they made two completely separate versions of the game, I don't think they would have worked too well ported in either direction.

Also started A Short Hike this morning. Its really fun and clever, a good exploration game that feels very Zeldaish. Great sense of humor too. Perfect game to play casually for a few minutes, or I suppose you could polish the whole thing off in a couple of hours. Really dig the art style as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    That's the kind of viewpoint I love hearing, because it tells me there's gold to be mined as long as one takes the effort of swinging the pick. I need to get back to this game soon.
    Definitely give this DLC a chance man, you won't regret it. It is quite confusing at first, since you have to take time to discover some basic dependencies, but it gets better and better with each playthrough. Fortunately, it's a rogue-lite and death has similar consequences as in Dark Souls series. While your inventory isn't persistent, other things are.

Just to give you a taste of what you may find here: In one of my playthroughs I found myself in a quite dire situation. I only have one character unlocked, so I'm stuck with a psionic. He is rather fragile, but the psi attack is good and makes a nice combo with silenced pistol. So I got to a central crater, where a bloody annoying moonshark (think Dune sandworm) is patrolling the area. It's super hard to kill with low level character, and it detects movement on sand very fast, so your best bet is to avoid it. You can sort of do it by jumping from one rock formation to another, but it's not like you have a rocky carpet laid out for you to navigate around the map.

This time I wanted to explore Moonworks and I missed one of my jumps on the way there. I threw a typhoon lure in another direction, but it was too late, the beast was already going for the kill. I made a desperate run for the gate leading to my destination, but the beast was much faster than me. Also, gates close when they detect a typhoon nearby, so I was stuck between rock and a hard place, and I got injured. Got hit by Moonshark melee attack, so I got the bleeding status, which can only be cured with coagulant agent. I didn't have it on me, obviously. And man these statuses are nasty. Bleeding renders you extra vulnerable to damage and if you sprint or climb (!) you loose a bit of health each second you do it. So I was even more fragile than usual and I couldn't climb anywhere without taking damage! Okay, it's really bad, I thought, but maybe it's not the end of the world. I could find the coagulant there somewhere, and I have all the 5 corruption stages for one character, so I can explore carefully and maybe get to the capsule there.

The exploration bit went quite well, with psi/pistol sneak attacks I was able to defeat most monsters during the phase 2 and 3 of the corruption, I also found a few medkits, but the bloody coagulant was nowhere to be found. I lost a lot of time not only because of my hampered navigation, but also while trying another escape option, which required me to stockpile on food and water first. But due to one unfortunate encounter at phase 4, I almost died and had to use a lot of food and drinks just to stay alive. And I couldn't find enough to complete this optional quest! This was like the third time I thought about quitting the game.

Okay, fuck it, I'm going straight to the capsules. I'll probably die on my way there, but who cares, I thought. But, surprise surprise, on my way there I finally found the fucking coagulant! Yess! So maybe I do have a slight chance to escape this hellhole. I healed myself up and explored the higher ground for a few more items and ammo. But before I knew it, it was phase 5 already. More monsters have spawned in, more things got broken, and the location with capsules was chock full with enemies. A telepath controlling several other zombies, a rogue harverster and a few lesser typhoon creatures. Fuck, this time I'm really not gonna make it, am I?

But, with careful / slightly panicky running and psi-ing / gunning, I managed to kill the telepath and other goons. I unlocked the gate, trying to reach the capsule... Aand it doesn't have navigational charts, which can be found in the central crater! Fuuuck! Aaand, the bar for the phase 5 is like 4/5 full. Fuck, fuck, fuuck! This time I'm not even thinking about aborting the simulation so much as pressing Alt+F4 and rage-quitting.

Okay, so I'm going to die in a few minutes, but I still haven't searched the containers in this room. I already knew some things are persistent in this game and some of the items can be bought as loadout before the next playthrough. So I went searching for stuff, found one thing that could be useful for the replay and I was about to wait for the timer, basically. But suddenly I remembered I didn't search any typhoon yet. And I found something I haven't seen before: an item that can decrease the progress of the corruption! When I used it, the meter went back to like 3/4 of the final stage. I was sure that I wouldn't make it there and back again, but at least I could try to find navigational charts, so I'd know where they are next time (unless the location is randomized).

So I went back to the central crater... And got killed by the moonshark.

Fuck moonsharks.

Preferably with some giant space scuba tanks.

===========================

So yeah, one of my best gaming evenings in a long while! I don't remember when had such a ride from hope to despair to hope... and death, eventually. Definitely not during my careful play in the base game.
    Last edited by Judith; 10th Aug 2020 at 16:53.

Gris.

It looks great, it sounds even better, but the actual gameplay? Well, there isn't much of that. I just kind of breezed through the game in about three hours. The simple puzzles didn't slow me down much (which isn't actually a bad thing), and while the artwork is really awesome at times, it's also quite repetitive and never really made me stop to admire the view. There's kind of a vague story that's open to interpretation, but I suppose it was too deep and meaningful for me, as I spent the first half of the game wondering what on earth is going on. I think it would have been a good idea to read some sort of a description of the game before playing it.

I still enjoyed the experience, but I'm happy that it didn't last for any longer. Gris is a fine work of art, but as a game it doesn't really hold up. I think I would have been a bit annoyed if I had paid the full price for it.

The first thing that you have to get--that's kind of hard to imagine a person playing through the whole thing and not getting it's so incessant--is that the entire thing is an extended metaphor for the grief the player character is going through, and basically every symbol relates to that in some way. It's literally structured into the 5 stages of grief.

I was really into a lot of it, especially the visuals and even the low-key gameplay. I loved the look of it and at least wanted to love its world anyway. I was in the right state of mind for it. But I could understand the criticism it got, which you basically summed up. What I didn't like so much wasn't that it was artsy or indie or "serious" or gameplay-shallow per se, all those things by themselves can be okay. Those are the kinds of games I love even. But I didn't like the tone they did it with here.

It was somehow preachy and value signaling, or heavier-handed doing that, than it needed to be. It was drenching itself in these metaphors almost to the point of bathos. If it had been more hands off and let this mystical world just reveal itself as it is, I think it would have connected better.

Well, let me put it this way. The way they could have done it that I would have really liked is like nifflas games, Knytt, Knytt Strories, WADF, (or in other genres: Stalker, Thief, System Shock) which presented these glitched out worlds that didn't really try to explain themselves. They just were, and they just came as they were. And the mystical parts weren't played up; they were just there like anything else, and the gameplay grew organically out of that.

Gris reminded me of all these movies and games where they're trying too hard to have these metaphors and have the world speak to you, and even when it wasn't that it was still a scene to "feature a platform gimmick", and the gameplay didn't have that feeling of you just being in the flow of this world as it comes like those other games. Yeah, I like more of the former and less of the latter.

I'm coming to the frustrating and sad realisation that the more Horizon: Zero Dawn opens up, the less I feel engaged in it. The game is beautiful and I want to know where the story takes the main character, but the gameplay routines become duller and duller as the sidequests pile on. I'm almost wishing it wasn't an open world game.

Will I miss a lot if I focus only on the main quest? A different ending maybe? Are there any really good sidequests?

I played the Machine Games Quake Episode 5: Dimensions of the Past. The levels have a lot of personality and are well-designed, and it's nice that they are a bit more detailed and high poly than the regular Quake levels. Back then I guess levels like these would have been technically possible within the engine, but systems back then would've struggled with it.

Quake on Medium is a tad on the easy side for me, but this fifth episode is just the right difficulty for me to have a decent challenge without it being overly frustrating. Health and ammo is scarcer than in the main game, on Medium sometimes you get just enough ammo to kill everything. Maybe on Hard you're left with no choice but to leave some monsters alive and run from them instead. While tactical shooters, ImSims and stealth games are valid genres, in arcade shooters like these I prefer to be able to kill everything, so Medium was the right choice for me.

I can recommend this episode to any Quake single player fan! By the way, I didn't find the secret level but I found Dopefish!

On to Scourge of Armagon!

Thing What Kicks
    Harvester, while it's not an official expansion, have you played Zerstorer: Testament of the Destroyer?

It's been years since I played it myself, but I remember it being pretty damned good.

Thread shoulda been named "What are you playing during Corona-chan?"

Well, I'm afraid, doctor Leerey, besides some Witcher 3, Dusk, Doom, Worms Armageddon and maybe another old game or two - not much.
    During the beginning of the year I played some Grip, but that was short lived, and the community heads were so bad that ttlg heads probably couldn't compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Harvester, while it's not an official expansion, have you played Zerstorer: Testament of the Destroyer?

It's been years since I played it myself, but I remember it being pretty damned good.
    No, but I have heard of it, years back when I investigated the best Quake levels. I think I played some stand-alone levels then, some of which we're great, but the fact that this is a whole campaign might've put me off. I'm mentally noting it for a possible future playthrough, thanks!

Played the first Scourge level. There are some cool new design elements I liked, but I will say that
    1) the music sucks
    2) that scorpion enemy is poorly designed, it looks boringly generic and does some kind of ridiculously fast strafe dodging that reminded me of the Unreal Skaarj and doesn't seem to fit in a Quake game.

Level 10,000 achieved

DO NOT be fooled by the photorealistic graphics or stunningly life-like character animation, this is NOT leaked footage of John Wick 4!! It is in fact the VIDEOGAME John Wick Hex, which I started playing a couple days ago and have been hooked on since. Making a turn-based action game out of John Wick is a stroke of genius really. Having the luxury of time to plan your next precision move lets you feel like a real TACTICAL BADASS as you take out roomfulls of enemies without so much as a scratch. And afterwards you get to watch a replay and really revel in your tactical mastery as well as the game's goofy-ass animation.

btw I dunno if I've mentioned this before but I WAS GONNA MAKE THIS GAME! After I played Hoplite on my smartphone I thought "this, but it's a John Woo actionscene!" A turn-based John Woo shootout. Then I saw the trailer for this thing and thought "DAMMIT! THAT'S IT! MINDJACKED AGAIN!" Thanks a lot Mike Bithell. >:|

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    2) that scorpion enemy is poorly designed, it looks boringly generic and does some kind of ridiculously fast strafe dodging that reminded me of the Unreal Skaarj and doesn't seem to fit in a Quake game.
    Yeah, that thing really put me off. Otherwise I thought the level and encounter design was ok. Well, other than the stupid instant death-traps, mostly in the mine level.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished John Wick Hex. Damn, that was fun! The presentation leaves a lot to be desired, both in the character animation and the poorly cobbled-together cutscenes, but the turn-based action gameplay is solid. Pretty easy, thankfully low on RNG, and a lot of fun.

Just finished replaying Deus Ex:Human Revolution, finally picking up the Pacifist and Foxiest of the Hounds achievements by abusing Cloak, lol. Made for a quick run but I just could not save Malik, there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent the exploding robot from killing someone. DX:HR may have some glaring flaws, many glaring flaws even, but it's still one of my favorite games ever.

I remember saving Malik (got the Good Soul achievement), but I had to be very aggressive, couldn't do it in a stealth way. And I tried that section several times before I made it, so it wasn't exactly easy.

Finished the initial 4-level campaign of SubLevel Zero after dying a bunch of times, playing it on "normal" for some reason even though apparently you can unlock the full campaign on the easier difficulty. This game didn't click with me the first time I played it on release, but for some reason I'm enjoying it more now. The voxel-ish tron-ish art can be kind of annoying when it comes to distinguishing enemies and projectiles and pickups from each other, but overall it's a fun game and feels pretty Descent-y. Kind of a weird design decision to have weapons that can use one of 3 ammo types but then only allow you to carry 2 different weapons, so most of the time I'm not carrying a plasma weapon because they kind of suck ass. Still playing this although not exclusively. Going to attempt to beat all of the campaigns although I suspect there will be many deaths/restarts in my future.

Currently trying to play Descent3 which is interesting, as it deviates wildly from the Descent 1/2 formula. The problem I'm currently having is that you can't adjust the FOV, and 16:9 is Hor-, so controlling the ship/view feels really weird. The level design is cool, being based more on real places rather than non-stop maze-like mines, the enemies are ok, etc. The FOV thing will probably keep it from being an all-time classic but I'm going to try to plug away at it until I beat at least the main campaign if not the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Just finished replaying Deus Ex:Human Revolution, finally picking up the Pacifist and Foxiest of the Hounds achievements by abusing Cloak, lol. Made for a quick run but I just could not save Malik, there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent the exploding robot from killing someone. DX:HR may have some glaring flaws, many glaring flaws even, but it's still one of my favorite games ever.
    I don't think it's realistically possible to save Malik and still get Pacifist. That's something they messed up.

The Director's Cut version is really fun though. A great game. Mankind Divided's gameplay is a bit better, but, Human Revolution does have the better story, setting, and, especially, different citiy hubs. It's a awesome game, good thing you liked it too.

Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    I don't think it's realistically possible to save Malik and still get Pacifist. That's something they messed up.
    I managed it without killing anyone. I remember it took many attempts but eventually I managed to get knockouts and not kills on everyone. The box robot that shows up at the end is the real problem I think, keeping sleeping bodies away from the explosion was hard.

Yeah, I got particularly stuck on one of the Heavies always ending up too close. I had to take him down fast because they do too much damage. If I leave him alive long enough for the robot to arrive, Malik dies. If I knock him out early, the robot's explosion kills him.

Currently replaying Unreal.

Getting this game to play nice with Windows 10, and to enjoy the higher resolutions that we all are more accustomed to these days took some work. Had to first update the game to the latest unofficial fan patch of 277i, then had to install a DirectX11 patch.

Went in-game after that only to find all the ingame textures a bit too pixelated for my liking. Especially on the tech screens. So then went and downloaded a HD texture upgrade. Then it looked good. Though some of tech screen textures appear to be backwards (as in, the text and images in them look inverted). Not sure how to fix that. Beyond that it looks and plays great as always.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Hey guys, remember the Avengers game coming out? The game for which they cancelled Deus Ex sequels so that Eidos Montreal could work on it? There's a playable "beta" going on this weekend.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Avengers_Beta/

The game is such shit IMO. Simplistic brawler combat without much depth and entirely on-rails "cinematic experience" bullshit that children and child-like minded adults (eg PlayStation fanboys) would eat up. Thanks for the demo "open beta", Squeenix! Not gonna ever intentionally buy this turd!

Graphically it at least looks nice when everything is in motion. The colours when is HDR on really pop.

I always enjoy it when one of the behemoths stumbles. ^_^

I'm currently slightly addicted to This War of Mine, but now that I've finished my first play through, I'm not actually sure whether I'll start another game or not... It's a great little survival game with some very interesting game mechanics, but it is really quite unpolished. During the day you build stuff at your "home base", make sure that your group of survivors has enough food and medicine and water (etc etc) and also take care of their mental well-being, and at night you go scavenge some place for some more resources. You do that until the war is over or you're dead. I really like the different personalities and the background stories of the survivors, but the moral choices that you have to make in the game and how they affect your crew doesn't seem very complex. Steal things = bad, help people (especially kids) = good. I wish there was some more character interaction.

I don't really care about the whole scavenging part of the game much. Combat especially is a real pain in the arse and I still don't get it how it works. Some of the stealth action is kinda exciting though. Most of the time the scavenging just gets really repetitive and a bit of a chore. I've read that there are supposed to be some random events in some of the locations, but I don't think I've encountered any. Also, what's up with the defending the base? We were raided about once every three nights but so far we've managed to drive the bad guys away without losing anything or anyone.

The end of the war came as quite a surprise, just when I thought that things would actually get tough, and surviving the war honestly felt a bit easy - my bunch of guys were all well fed and nice and warm even throughout the coldest winter days. I must admit that I loaded the game two or three times when I died while scavenging because of the awkward controls though...

I would kind of like to see if another play through would be any different, but I don't think I'm ready to start the grinding all over again just yet. Yeah, I think I'll pick some other game to play for now.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished Carrion. Solid 2D monster-em-up with a slight metroidvania-esque structure. The last bit of the game was a bit of a chore when you have to backtrack through all the previous areas and find upgrades and reach the ending. The lack of a map might be realistic (because you're a monster) but it made it a real slog to just aimlessly drift around and hope you stumble on what you're looking for. Got so bored I ended up using a walkthrough to find my way. Besides that tho, it's a fun game, pretty easy, tho it does throw in some more puzzely mazes towards the end.

Also completed the first 4 missions of Desperados 3. It's good! Tho I'm not sure it's gripped me as much as Shadow Tactics did, yet. I played Shadow Tactics on PC with KB+M, so playing this on PS4 with gamepad was a bit of an adjustment. Instead of clicking where you want your units to go, you have direct control over them with the thumbstick, which felt weird at first, but works very well after a while.

Haven't touched MSFS in a few days, think I'm done with it until some meatier gameplay is added.

The new Control DLC comes out today, right? Will have to get to that in the weekend.

Alien: Isolation was on sale on Steam not long ago, and between having a bit of an Alien phase again now and the game in question having received pretty good reviews I decided to give it a go.

It started out very well. The ambience is great, the suspense built up very nicely, it was pure joy sneaking around the survivors and the androids, and I nearly wet myself when having boarded one of the transport shuttles, I turned around and saw the Alien bearing down on me down the hallway I'd just come from (and yes, if you do not activate the shuttle quickly enough the Alien will kill you then... I've checked. Yes. Ahem. Definitely checked on purpose and not forgot to press the button before it was too late.). Eventually, however, the Alien moved on from dropping on me from overhead vents because I failed to notice the dripping saliva to wandering the hallways in my vicinity - which is when the game ceases to be fun. You see, what it does in those sections is periodically jump back into the overhead vents, very rapidly move to a different locations and come out again - effectively making it as if you were trying to sneak around an enemy who randomly (and yes, this is very much random - the Alien is just as likely to come out again two hallway forks away as right in front of you, and in the latter case it's just as likely to come out facing you (i.e. instant death) as merrily staring the other way (i.e. plenty of time to sneak away)) teleports from place to place, i.e. a game of chance rather than of skills. Combine this with the fact that you can only save your progress at emergency stations and you have tedious repetition of certain game segments. In fact, at some point I took to making regular trips back to earlier save points because I would rather retrace my steps than wonder for the umpteenth time whether I had retrieved ID tag X from room Y again or not yet. Anyway: plus points for faithful representation of dealing with the horror that is the Alien, massive minus points for frustrating gameplay. Fortunately I am now back to a section with humans.

By the way, fun fact: the Alien cannot enter the vents which can be entered by Ripley. Yup! It can travel through the overhead ones at rapid speed or open cabinet doors to pull Ripley out if it detected her but cross an iris hatch and you might as well have disappeared altogether, in spite of a) vents like those being where Dallas got himself devoured in the first film, and b) iris hatches helpfully opening themselves when the Alien comes near.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5101520212223242526272829 LastLast